Washington

Gold Vision

Reaction score
Probably the best team in the NIT not to get an invitation to the dance. Gophers open up as 1 point Vegas underdogs with an O/U of 142. I think that pace of game definitely favors the Gophers. If UW starts creeping towards 80, we are in trouble.

Probably the best team in the NIT not to get an invitation to the dance. Gophers open up as 1 point Vegas underdogs with an O/U of 142. I think that pace of game definitely favors the Gophers. If UW starts creeping towards 80, we are in trouble.

As much as people are saying that we're playing like we want to be there, Washington is going to come out with a huge chip on their shoulder. Winning the Pac-12 and not getting an NCAA invitation? I'd play like a madman too if I got snubbed like that. I'm looking forward to watching this one.

This will be a great test for the Gophers. Both teams have some nice athletes that can play. The winner of this game might be the favorite to win the NIT. The fact the Gophers have have been on the road all tournament it will be interesting to see what happens when the crowd isnt as one sided against them.

As much as people are saying that we're playing like we want to be there, Washington is going to come out with a huge chip on their shoulder. Winning the Pac-12 and not getting an NCAA invitation? I'd play like a madman too if I got snubbed like that. I'm looking forward to watching this one.

How about winning Pac 12 regular season title, then get beat in NIT by the Big Ten 10th place team.

How about winning Pac 12 regular season title, then get beat in NIT by the Big Ten 10th place team.

That really puts the strength of the Big Ten and weakness of the Pac 12 into perspective.

Also puts all the Devoe Joseph/Justin Cobbs hand-wringing I've seen on here in perspective too. No doubt they played well this season, but the PAC-12 is NOT the Big Ten in terms of night-in, night-out competition.

I'm expecting a pretty exciting game on Tuesday.

Hey guys, Dawg Fan here. Thought we could trade thoughts on our team and seasons. I give you some you give me some, sound good? :)

UDub has had a rocky season. We went to MSG at a neutral location and barely lost to Marquette but lost handily to Duke (don't let the 6 point loss to Duke fool you, UW went on a ferocious 2nd half come back but was down a lot of points before that...Duke may have let off the gas) A few weeks later we got slapped in the face in St.Louis and later got blown out in Colorado. For Dawg fans this was frustrating, the prior season UDub went to the NCAA Round of 32 where we played UNC IN NorthCarolina and lost by 2 points - we pretty much gave the game away, heartbreaker - point being, UW has had a recent track record for excellent play and this years team is not that. The blowouts didn't stop there, we later got rocked by Oregon in Eugene. To finish out the regular season, when everything was on the line, UW responded by losing its final game to UCLA and the first game of the PAC tournament...nice.

UW's roster is filled with great talent but has failed to 'mesh' over the course of a season. And we all know, it doesn't matter how great the individuals are if they can't play as a fluid team.

Our PGs:
-Abdul Gaddy, 6'3, Junior: Former McDonalds All American #2 PG out of high school after John Wall has failed to live up to they hype thus far. Had a rocky Frosh year, tore his ACL soph year, and has had a mediocre Junior year. A great ball handler, makes the 'hockey assist,' decent dribble drive, ok on D - lacks athletic lateral movement.
-Tony Wroten Jr., 6'5, Fresh: McDonalds all American Snub, ended up on the ALL Jordan Brand Team. Projected first round NBA pick in next years draft. He can't hit a 3 to save his life, shoots freethrows poorly, no mid range. BUT he is the most Electric freshmen you will see (not the best freshman, Anthony Davis gets that honor, but Electric). Blazing fast with the ball, elite passer, incredible penetration dribble drive, gets to the hoop at will - defenses play 5 feet off him to limit his drives.

Our Wings:
-Terrence Ross, 6'6, Soph: Projected top 15 pick in the next NBA Draft. The smoothest jumper you will ever see. Deadly crossover moves for a pull up J. Good 3 point shooter. Elite Athleticism. Good Rebounder. Can drive, post up, shoot the 3. The bad? Can disappear for an entire half, a bit too passive for such an amazing player.
-CJ Wilcox, 6'5, Soph: Projected end of round 1 or beginning of round 2 in next NBA Draft. Best pure jump shooter on the West Coast. He looks like a Ray Allen clone. Deadly from 3. Deadly midrange. Has troulbe finishing at the rim (lack of bulk) but has ability to cut with the ball and cross over. Elite athlete. quick feet on D. Solid.

Forwards:
-Aziz NDiaye, 7'0, Junior: Athletic big man but not very coordinated with the ball. Can run like a deer but hands like sticks. We use him for his defense, who wants to drive into a legit 7'0 who is built like a tank? But he is a liability on offense. Can't operate in a pick and roll, only has one post move that works half the time. An incredible competitor.
-Darnell Gant, 6'8, Senior: A glue guy, won't win a game but does the little things. He will be guarding your 6'9 forward I think. He is more like a 6'8 wing type. He likes to shoot the 3. Doesn't have great post moves (gets blocked down low). Plays solid man D though and is comfortable defending on the perimeter.

UW's strength is in it's guards. Many announcers (and us, but we have Husky goggles on) feel UW's four set of guards are the best or among the best in the nation. Our forwards are pretty mediocre and can hold the team back (not well put, but basically they aren't our strength).

UW lost a LOT from last year which is why the Team hasn't meshed. IT (NBA - Kings) left for the draft, our top post player graduated, our top defensive wing graduated, our best on ball defender graduated, and to top it all off Scott Suggs (6'6 wing - 45% from 3) broke his foot so is redshirting his Senior year.

UW is GOOD. But UW is beatable on any night. I wouldn't be surprised if we won or lost. This season is beyond comprehension for UDub fans, it has been incredibly frustrating seeing which team shows up on which night.

In the NIT, UW came out flat against UTA. Destroyed Northwestern. Then had a close Rival Game with Oregon. The players have said they are 'excited' to be in MSG once again, a huge emotional turnaround from the 'snubbed' feeling on Selection Sunday.

Good luck and I want to hear from you guys!

--UW also plays a 6'7 redshirt frosh who has seen minutes decline as the season progressed. A 6'6 260lb PF who is actually our All American Tight End on the football team. And a 6'9 255lbs PF is used very sparingly

"The fact the Gophers have have been on the road all tournament it will be interesting to see what happens when the crowd isnt as one sided against them."

I agree with your point to a degree although watching the empty arena during the Miami game almost made it look like a neutral court game. Did Washington play all of their NIT games at home? I'm assuming yes.

Did Washington play all of their NIT games at home? I'm assuming yes.
Looks like they did. I'm seeing 3 common opponents. South Dakota State, USC and NW, who, as udub mentioned, they beat handily.

fan of Ray Williams said:
Looks like they did. I'm seeing 3 common opponents. South Dakota State, USC and NW, who, as udub mentioned, they beat handily.

They lost to SDSU.

PHP:
That really puts the strength of the Big Ten and weakness of the Pac 12 into perspective.

Ya seeing things from that perspective is crazy, people got down on the boys this year even though the B1G is so strong, a losing conference record will do that to you.

And from someone living in Pac-12 country believe me, they are that bad. The West Coast Conference placed more teams in the NCAAs than the Pac could (3v2). Think if the A10 got more bids than the ACC...

I give you some you give me some, sound good? :)

Geez...when I see something like that from a guy from UW, I'm assuming it's some guy from the Wisconsin athletic department.

Hope you hang around here through the game. Be prepared to have a thick skin.

Hey guys, Dawg Fan here. Thought we could trade thoughts on our team and seasons. I give you some you give me some, sound good? :)

UDub has had a rocky season. We went to MSG at a neutral location and barely lost to Marquette but lost handily to Duke (don't let the 6 point loss to Duke fool you, UW went on a ferocious 2nd half come back but was down a lot of points before that...Duke may have let off the gas) A few weeks later we got slapped in the face in St.Louis and later got blown out in Colorado. For Dawg fans this was frustrating, the prior season UDub went to the NCAA Round of 32 where we played UNC IN NorthCarolina and lost by 2 points - we pretty much gave the game away, heartbreaker - point being, UW has had a recent track record for excellent play and this years team is not that. The blowouts didn't stop there, we later got rocked by Oregon in Eugene. To finish out the regular season, when everything was on the line, UW responded by losing its final game to UCLA and the first game of the PAC tournament...nice.

UW's roster is filled with great talent but has failed to 'mesh' over the course of a season. And we all know, it doesn't matter how great the individuals are if they can't play as a fluid team.

Our PGs:
-Abdul Gaddy, 6'3, Junior: Former McDonalds All American #2 PG out of high school after John Wall has failed to live up to they hype thus far. Had a rocky Frosh year, tore his ACL soph year, and has had a mediocre Junior year. A great ball handler, makes the 'hockey assist,' decent dribble drive, ok on D - lacks athletic lateral movement.
-Tony Wroten Jr., 6'5, Fresh: McDonalds all American Snub, ended up on the ALL Jordan Brand Team. Projected first round NBA pick in next years draft. He can't hit a 3 to save his life, shoots freethrows poorly, no mid range. BUT he is the most Electric freshmen you will see (not the best freshman, Anthony Davis gets that honor, but Electric). Blazing fast with the ball, elite passer, incredible penetration dribble drive, gets to the hoop at will - defenses play 5 feet off him to limit his drives.

Our Wings:
-Terrence Ross, 6'6, Soph: Projected top 15 pick in the next NBA Draft. The smoothest jumper you will ever see. Deadly crossover moves for a pull up J. Good 3 point shooter. Elite Athleticism. Good Rebounder. Can drive, post up, shoot the 3. The bad? Can disappear for an entire half, a bit too passive for such an amazing player.
-CJ Wilcox, 6'5, Soph: Projected end of round 1 or beginning of round 2 in next NBA Draft. Best pure jump shooter on the West Coast. He looks like a Ray Allen clone. Deadly from 3. Deadly midrange. Has troulbe finishing at the rim (lack of bulk) but has ability to cut with the ball and cross over. Elite athlete. quick feet on D. Solid.

Forwards:
-Aziz NDiaye, 7'0, Junior: Athletic big man but not very coordinated with the ball. Can run like a deer but hands like sticks. We use him for his defense, who wants to drive into a legit 7'0 who is built like a tank? But he is a liability on offense. Can't operate in a pick and roll, only has one post move that works half the time. An incredible competitor.
-Darnell Gant, 6'8, Senior: A glue guy, won't win a game but does the little things. He will be guarding your 6'9 forward I think. He is more like a 6'8 wing type. He likes to shoot the 3. Doesn't have great post moves (gets blocked down low). Plays solid man D though and is comfortable defending on the perimeter.

UW's strength is in it's guards. Many announcers (and us, but we have Husky goggles on) feel UW's four set of guards are the best or among the best in the nation. Our forwards are pretty mediocre and can hold the team back (not well put, but basically they aren't our strength).

UW lost a LOT from last year which is why the Team hasn't meshed. IT (NBA - Kings) left for the draft, our top post player graduated, our top defensive wing graduated, our best on ball defender graduated, and to top it all off Scott Suggs (6'6 wing - 45% from 3) broke his foot so is redshirting his Senior year.

UW is GOOD. But UW is beatable on any night. I wouldn't be surprised if we won or lost. This season is beyond comprehension for UDub fans, it has been incredibly frustrating seeing which team shows up on which night.

In the NIT, UW came out flat against UTA. Destroyed Northwestern. Then had a close Rival Game with Oregon. The players have said they are 'excited' to be in MSG once again, a huge emotional turnaround from the 'snubbed' feeling on Selection Sunday.

--UW also plays a 6'7 redshirt frosh who has seen minutes decline as the season progressed. A 6'6 260lb PF who is actually our All American Tight End on the football team. And a 6'9 255lbs PF is used very sparingly
We suck our best players are on other teams and our coach sucks!!

Minngg

The Huskies are definitely an extremely athletic team,but that can work against them. Saw a lot of the SDSU game and the Oregon State tournament loss,and Washington tries to play so fast that they can turn it over a lot,and jack up bad shots. They don't seem to like to play defense for extended periods of time. If the Gophers can slow the pace,and play physical and rebound,they can frustrate the Huskies.

I have seen UW play several times. They are a very talented team, probably more than any in the Big Ten. Big, fast, and physically strong. They all look like NBA types.
They are not great on defense, but if the game turns into fast paced game and they play to their potential they could crush us. Ndiaye is shockingly big.

Udub, thanks for the rundown. OSU Beaver here. Sorry about the tourney snub. You guys got hosed.

Lol! I suppose that's why they made the NIT while 6 Big Ten teams made the NCAA Tourney!

You can have lots of athletic talent and not play well. (If that is what the post meant)

MN has more athletes than 5-6 B10 teams but did not play as well. To be fair, Washington probably should have made the NCAA tournament...

You can have lots of athletic talent and not play well. (If that is what the post meant)

MN has more athletes than 5-6 B10 teams but did not play as well. To be fair, Washington probably should have made the NCAA tournament...

That's probably what he meant. All four of UW's guards are on NBA mock drafts and the 7'0 center makes an appearance in some mocks as well. This is 'great' right? Well at the same time it's incredibly sad that this talent couldn't even make the NCAAs which proves the point that individuals don't determine a teams' success. And yea...mock drafts can be pretty worthless sometimes.

To the above poster, I do have thick skin and will stick around. Being blown out multiple times this year has given me this thick skin ;)

Our PGs:

Our Wings:

Forwards:

You have the superior athletes, the superior record & the experience edge. That said we're only 1 point underdogs & our young team is playing very well right now.

C- Elliot Eliason 7' R-Fr: He's a very talented Freshman who runs the floor very well, is coordinated for a young 7' footer, is scrappy & a fantastic passer out of the high post. Like most young bigs he's foul prone & his offensive game is clumsy. I could see him being in foul trouble all game long. If not he'll score 8pts & grab 8rebs.

PF-Rodney Williams 6'7" Jr: Rodney despite all your talented players will be the most athletic player on the floor. He's a human-highlight-reel of sick dunks & put-backs. We've waited for years now for that athletic ability to translate into real-time basketball results & only now at the end of his Jr year is he showing it. The last part of the season & in the NIT specifically he's been a monster!! He's averaging about 20 a game over the past 6 games. He'll find lanes to swooping dunks, work the baseline & sneak out of nowhere for a couple massive put-backs. If his still-developing shot isn't falling it makes him pretty one-dimensional, but he's playing sensational right now.

PF-Andre Ingram 6'7" Jr: Andre's the 12th man on our bench & played very little this season after transferring in from a Juco. In limited action he was brutal. In the NIT he's been forced to play quite a bit due to injuries & has impressed though! Against Miami Fla. he had a career game with a gutsy performance against bigger players. He played within himself bodying up on defense, rebounding hard, making put-backs & free throws. Andre is a scrapper who should never take a shot that's not a put-back & he's a poor passer but will likely have to play minutes against UW.

F-Oto Osiencks 6'8" R-Fr: From Latvia his reputation coming from Prep School was as a sharp shooter, 3- point guy. He's turned out to be more girtty & versatile than that & I like his future but he's still a bit player as a Freshman & prone to mistakes.

SF-Joe Coleman 6'4" Fr: Joe's an undersized forward who's scrappy, drives well, has good confidence & is a good overall player. He's shown flashes of greatness in fact, but he's also had ups & downs. After blowing the doors off of several teams he went scoreless for several games as teams realized he had NO jump shot. That's the scouting report...put a bigger body squarely in front of him & dare him to shoot a jumper.

SG-Austin Hollins 6'4" Soph: Austin's a smart player (Dad's Lionel Hollins Coach of the Grizzlies) who's slender & unimpressive physically. He's a silent assassin though who's rangy, plays good defense & has a nice mid-range stroke. He'll hit shots coming off picks & curls. He'll quietly score 14pts & grabs 5rebs.

SG-Chip Armelin 6'4" Soph: Chuck-it-up-Chip is an enigma. He's as athletic as just about anyone on the team (except for Rodney) but he's totally undisciplined & thus lives in Tubby's doghouse. He has however been our team MVP 3-4 times this year which is impressive for the #10-11 guy on your bench & has been known to provide a spark when it's needed.

PG-Andre Hollins 6'1" Fr: Dre is the straw the stirs the drink. A dynamic PG. He's only a Freshman & didn't take ownership of the team until late in the season but it's undoubtedly Dre's team now & that's why we're winning now. He was All B1G tourney team & is playing out of this world. If he's better than your guards, like he has been against LaSalle/Miami/MTSU then we'll win.

PG-Julian Welch 6'3" Jr: Welch is a Juco transfer in his 1st year with us & is best described as "dependable". He's a step slow, not the best passer or ball handler but he runs the team well & is a dangerous spot up shooter.

PG-Maverick Ahanmisi 6'2" Soph: No one wants to see Mav play, but he probably will. Mav is not very athletic, not a great shooter, not a great ball handler or defender. Many fans would like to see him transfer out. Due to your guard depth I think he'll have to play some.

Overall....It puzzles me that UW is only a 1 point favorite? You out-man us (our starters, depth & quality of depth imo) up front & in the back court. If we have an injury or foul trouble in either department we'll have to roll out someone who's an inferior player to yours. I expect a Washington victory.

Overall....It puzzles me that UW is only a 1 point favorite? You out-man us (our starters, depth & quality of depth imo) up front & in the back court. If we have an injury or foul trouble in either department we'll have to roll out someone who's an inferior player to yours. I expect a Washington victory.

UW lost 3 seniors, 1 junior to the NBA, and 1 'would be' senior (redshirted now) to a broken foot since last year. Isaiah Thomas, the junior PG who opted for the NBA and is rated the #2 rookie by NBA RookieLadder behind Irving (sorry! had to give him props! #60 overall in the draft, Mr. Irrelevant is killin it! East Coast/height bias)...anyways Thomas was UW's floor general for 3 years. UW doesn't have one this year, the transition has been rough. You will see UW looking 'confused' and 'lost' for stretches during games where we sink ourselves into a deep hole (see our blowouts and comeback victories/close losses). UW often plays 'down to the level' or 'up to the level' of its competition, thus the 1 point favorite. UW has a rep. for not being a road team as well.

Thanks for the info! that 6'7 forward of yours looks like a handful, I saw how many blocks he has, more than 10 over any UW player.

That is exactly what I meant. Great individual talent. Not a great team. Romar has brought in a lot of top recruits.
udub, what was the story with Calipari poaching Terrance Jones from you guys a couple years ago?

Oto likely won't be playing, he has a concussion and IDK if it's worth risking.

That is exactly what I meant. Great individual talent. Not a great team. Romar has brought in a lot of top recruits.
udub, what was the story with Calipari poaching Terrance Jones from you guys a couple years ago?

UW fans don't like talking about that moment anymore...! haha, but basically: Terrence Jones and Terrence Ross were supposed to be a 'package deal'. They both expressed they wanted to play at the next level at the same college. Before they announced rumors were flying over twitter/insider news they were going to pick UW. Terrence Jones has the school host an announcement ceremony. TV, fans, school mates show up. Ross walks in wearing a UW hat and sweatshirt! Jones walks in wearing a black suit. Ross to UW! Jones has hates lined up on the table and slowly goes through each school then says "I guess I have to pick one now." He slowly reaches for the UW hat, he's a HUSKY! RIGHT?! ESPN blows up that UW got both Terrences, a stellar class. Immediately after (and this is where it gets fuzzy) Jones is seen crying and talking on the cell phone in the gym corner. It is later revealed it is John Calipari on the other end, the UK head coach. Ross signs his LOI immediately, Jones says he's still thinking about it but is still committed to UW. Jones later flips his decision and says 'it's where his heart is'. That same year, Enes Kantar (5 star Center, NBA now) was strongly rumored to be a UW lock. He just had to get admitted. UK came out of no where and swept him away from UW. Kantar never played in college though. Now UW is in heated recruiting battles w/UK in 2013 for Jabari Brown, Aaron Gordon, and Jabari Bird - all TOP 10's.

When all is said and done, if UW had to chose ONE terrence, I'm glad UW got Ross. He has much more upside than Jones and has showed it the 2nd half of his Sophmore campaign. People forget, Ross won ORegon POY in HS when he and Jones were on the same team. But Ross didn't play his Senior year due to eligibility issues so dropped off the recruiting map. At UW we call Jones...Diva.

This year UW Football fell victim to something similar. 4 Star wideout Jordan Payton from Cali committed to UW on ESPN TV after picking the UW hat and acting 'very excited about his choice.' He didn't sign his LOI immediately and later switched to UCLA.

Top Bottom