Washington to possibly join the Big Ten

Washington football has been down as of late but historically it is very solid. And Washington has a very large following and adds yet another large media market (the conference loves big media markets). Unlike much of the PAC12, their stadium is large and they fill it. I have predicted this move to be an obvious one since the day USC and UCLA joined.

Why 4 from the PAC12? I wouldn't mind scooping up a Texas school to get us a presence down there, have the Gophers play in Texas once every few years.
It's so the west coast schools have enough games they don't have to travel half way across the country for. Plus of the remaining Pac12 teams I'm sure they all have a pair in mind they would like to also join the B1G.

Washington football has been down as of late but historically it is very solid. And Washington has a very large following and adds yet another large media market (the conference loves big media markets). Unlike much of the PAC12, their stadium is large and they fill it. I have predicted this move to be an obvious one since the day USC and UCLA joined.
Washington no doubt would be a good fit for B1G's overall strategy. Still kinda hoping that Stanford/Cal is in the mix somehow - the San Fran media market is huge (but not necessarily a college football town) and the academic prestige of these two institutions doesn't hurt either.

My prediction:
1. USC
2. UCLA
3. Stanford (Helps get Notre Dame)
4. Washington (Media market, academics, athletics)
5. Cal or Oregon (Cal gets it if Stanford requires them, otherwise it’s Oregon).

My prediction:
1. USC
2. UCLA
5. Cal or Oregon (Cal gets it if Stanford requires them, otherwise it’s Oregon).
19 teams?

Why 4 from the PAC12? I wouldn't mind scooping up a Texas school to get us a presence down there, have the Gophers play in Texas once every few years.
More teams out west open up the late TV time slots for the west coast. If USC and UCLA were both playing on the road one week having a couple more teams can make filling that late time slot easier.

My prediction:
1. USC
2. UCLA
Cal and Stanford have no ties other than geography. Cal and UCLA are tied organizationally and fiscally.

Cal and Stanford have no ties other than geography. Cal and UCLA are tied organizationally and fiscally.
Cal and Stanford have a huge sports and social rivalry. They are also both part of at least two academic alliances where they work together on research. So while they are not connected institutions, it’s possible they want to continue their relationship in the same athletic and academic conference.

It is interesting that the only recruiting hotbeds the B1G has no presence in are Florida and Texas.

Washington move could be predicted by Captain Obvious.

I’d expect the dream moves after Washington would be Notre Dame, Miami or FSU, TCU or Baylor, and Stanford or Cal.

Look at all those markets!

I doubt Washington brings in enough money. They are not a big name in revenue sports. I think we need to go after a TX school and a FL school. Make the BIG a true national league. Would also help with recruiting.

ND has, by far, the easiest path to the BCS/CFP. And it looks like its about to get much, much easier for them. I just don’t see them giving that up.

ND has, by far, the easiest path to the BCS/CFP. And it looks like its about to get much, much easier for them. I just don’t see them giving that up.
Down the road it is going to be the:

SEC/Big Ten

Big Gap

ACC, Big 12, Pac 10

Basically, it will be viewed upon being top 3-5 in the SEC or Big Ten will be better then winning the other 3 conferences.

I doubt Washington brings in enough money. They are not a big name in revenue sports. I think we need to go after a TX school and a FL school. Make the BIG a true national league. Would also help with recruiting.

Top Programs by Revenue (Outside of B1G and SEC):

1. Texas (also #1 overall, by far)
2. Notre Dame
3. Oklahoma
4. Washington
5. Oregon
6. USC
7. UCLA
8. Arizona State
9. Clemson
10. Florida State

I am not sure how you can say that ND has the easiest path to the BCS/CFP when the format has yet to be agreed upon.

For all we know it could wind up being Big 10 winner vs SEC winner for which ND would need to be a member of one of said conferences. It's quite possible those 2 Conferences break off on their own leaving all others in their wake.

Down the road it is going to be the:

SEC/Big Ten

Big Gap

ACC, Big 12, Pac 10

Basically, it will be viewed upon being top 3-5 in the SEC or Big Ten will be better then winning the other 3 conferences.
That’s probably the reality today. It becomes especially true once OK, TX, USC and UCLA join SEC and Big Ten.

But the CFP committee, as it is configured today, certainly doesn’t see it that way. Which makes sense, since the B1G and SEC only control 2/11 of the CFP.

Top Programs by Revenue (Outside of B1G and SEC):

1. Texas (also #1 overall, by far)
2. Notre Dame
3. Oklahoma
4. Washington
5. Oregon
6. USC
7. UCLA
8. Arizona State
9. Clemson
10. Florida State
I didn't look it up but I am surprised.

I am not sure how you can say that ND has the easiest path to the BCS/CFP when the format has yet to be agreed upon.

For all we know it could wind up being Big 10 winner vs SEC winner for which ND would need to be a member of one of said conferences. It's quite possible those 2 Conferences break off on their own leaving all others in their wake.
No. It can’t just “wind up” that way. Any changes at all requires an actual approval by Swarbrick, since he has a vote and all votes must be unanimous.

The CFP would have to be terminated completely, and reformed, for something like that to happen. But reports are they are all getting along again, so that’s unlikely.

Last edited:

ACC, Big 12, Pac 10 or what's left of them in a few years will most likely merge to try to compete.

No one but UT or A&M is of interest to the B1G in the state of Texas. But once more schools join the B1G, it will entice one of those two to leave the SEC.

I didn't look it up but I am surprised.
Between commanding a big media market, excellent academics, historically good football program with a large first rate stadium, and big revenue… Washington is extremely attractive/intriguing as a potential B1G member.

assuming the B1G adds 4 more teams to hit 20:

one spot is reserved for Notre Dame until or unless ND gives a firm NO.

the remaining three spots - well, if they were all West Coast teams, that would make a 5-team pod for scheduling. So, let's say
Washington - access to new media markets
Oregon - big-name school

and the 3rd team is a musical chairs deal - who wants the last seat. Cal or Stanford both make sense.

that may be the obvious answer, but sometimes the obvious answer is the correct answer.

The guy clearly meant three more Pac-12 teams and ND.

It's so the west coast schools have enough games they don't have to travel half way across the country for. Plus of the remaining Pac12 teams I'm sure they all have a pair in mind they would like to also join the B1G.

Right. Doesn't make sense to me for Gopher fans to have wish lists including anything other than three more Pac-12 teams. As I've said numerous times since the USC/UCLA news.....when we hit 20 teams and four, five team divisions are created....we want to make sure there are other west coast teams other than USC and UCLA. Because other than Nebraska.....Minnesota is the furthest west. And if the Big Ten takes some more on the east coast....the Gophers are going to get screwed....and we'll likely be broken off from Wisconsin and Iowa.

No thank you. Grab at LEAST two more Pac-12 teams. I'd prefer for Nebraska to stick with the Minn/Wis/Iowa group....but I wouldn't lose sleep if they were forced to join the west.

Cal and Stanford have a huge sports and social rivalry. They are also both part of at least two academic alliances where they work together on research. So while they are not connected institutions, it’s possible they want to continue their relationship in the same athletic and academic conference.
Really? I guess we can agree to disagree. I have Bay area family that would tell you its a rivalry that is one day a year.

The University of California system will have the say. Not Stanford.

No. It can’t just “wind up” that way. Any changes at all requires an actual approval by Swarbrick, since he has a vote and all votes must be unanimous.

The CFP would have to be terminated completely, and reformed, for something like that to happen. But reports are they are all getting along again, so that’s unlikely.
I was referring to when the current agreement ends after 2025.

Top Bottom