Washington to possibly join the Big Ten

I live in Seattle and there are alot of Minnesota and other Midwest transplants here. U of Wash joining the B1G would generate a lot of buzz locally and draw fans to live events. Definitely much more than Arizona teams and even Colorado. Rutgers probably not as much but for the rest of the B1G schools definitely.

I live in Seattle and there are alot of Minnesota and other Midwest transplants here. U of Wash joining the B1G would generate a lot of buzz locally and draw fans to live events. Definitely much more than Arizona teams and even Colorado. Rutgers probably not as much but for the rest of the B1G schools definitely.
Not sure I understand - are you saying there's more Minnesota fans in Washington than Arizona? Because if so, I doubt that is true. Maybe I am not understanding you though.

Not sure I understand - are you saying there's more Minnesota fans in Washington than Arizona? Because if so, I doubt that is true. Maybe I am not understanding you though.
You'd be surprised. I live in Seattle as well and I see a lot of MN plates driving around here, plus the occasional Gopher license plate liner or window decal.

The midwest to Seattle pipeline is strong.

I think the poster meant that it would generate more excitement than Arizona's two football teams coming to town. As in, more fans would show up to watch Washington vs. MN.

For all we know it could wind up being Big 10 winner vs SEC winner for which ND would need to be a member of one of said conferences. It's quite possible those 2 Conferences break off on their own leaving all others in their wake.
Please let it be this. Once we go to 2 larger conferences, no one on the outside will have enough talent to be in consideration. SEC/B1G "Super Bowl" and the others can form their own playoff, just like FCS does.

Let's have a 4-team mini-playoff in both the B1G and SEC and the winners meet for the whole bag of marbles.

Washington no doubt would be a good fit for B1G's overall strategy. Still kinda hoping that Stanford/Cal is in the mix somehow - the San Fran media market is huge (but not necessarily a college football town) and the academic prestige of these two institutions doesn't hurt either.
Size of SF market is immaterial. No football people in that cesspool.

It is interesting that the only recruiting hotbeds the B1G has no presence in are Florida and Texas.

Washington move could be predicted by Captain Obvious.

I’d expect the dream moves after Washington would be Notre Dame, Miami or FSU, TCU or Baylor, and Stanford or Cal.

Look at all those markets!

Texas schools would seem to make as sense as much as the West Coast does and I'd love to see that (with my TX roots). TCU is in one of the largest markets in the country while Baylor has a huge following statewide and has a very good athletic program. However, I don't see it happening. Those schools plus OK State seem like they would be prime SEC material.

I think the poster meant that it would generate more excitement than Arizona's two football teams coming to town. As in, more fans would show up to watch Washington vs. MN.
That's what I meant. Right now, a quick Stubhub search shows cheapest ticket for Mich St game is $75, but the next 4 games of Stanford, AZ Wild Wildcats, Oregon St and Col all start at $25-35.

Top Programs by Revenue (Outside of B1G and SEC):

1. Texas (also #1 overall, by far)
2. Notre Dame
3. Oklahoma
4. Washington
5. Oregon
6. USC
7. UCLA
8. Arizona State
9. Clemson
10. Florida State
Which is why some people are floating Clemson and Florida St as targets for the B10 down the road...

USC, UCLA and Washington?

Giving new meaning to B1G WEST!!
Would that make us B1G Central?

2 PAC teams
Notre Dame
Georgia Tech

I’d bet more than a few bucks on that.

Crazy stuff - you can't cram the whole nation into the B10 and SEC. Middling teams like Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, Maryland won't have much of a chance. Instead, a separate entity, a Pac-10 or PAC-12 should be tied to the Big Ten for a super playoff series in addition to the inter-conference games already in motion by the not-so-long-ago close association of B10 and PAC-12. But stuffing all these teams into one conference makes no sense - just more TV money while destroying regional loyalties and traditions that stood for more than a century, like the Rose Bowl.

Warshington (had to do it) lost out on Schuster. The only reason they want in the BIG.

There are going to be a (relative) ton of BIg Ten alumni in Seattle and Bay Area simply due to tech jobs. Just is what it is

As to the OP, I will just assume it is more McMurphy clickbait.

I really don't think there is going to be any more major news this calendar year. The season is here, the TV deal has been announced, and Notre Dame is the only specifically name school in the deals where they'd get a bump-up. The rest are unnamed and "maybe".

It would seem easy to assume that the Big Ten had all these hypothetical discussions with their TV network partners already, and they could've added any other PAC schools tha they wanted at the same time they added USC/UCLA.

Iowa's AD and President in the Athletic yesterday:

“I feel like when we added the two that we added, it made sense. It had a lot of momentum behind it,” Barta said Thursday. “I’ve not yet heard anything that would get me at Iowa — I’m just speaking for Iowa — excited to say, ‘Let’s continue to expand more.’ So, I don’t feel like it’s a hot button. But that’s one person’s opinion. I won’t speak for the conference.

“Whatever upside Iowa will receive from the new TV contract, I’m certainly not going to be interested in supporting additional expansion, if that means Iowa would get less. That’s just one criteria, but that’s an important one.”

Iowa president Barbara Wilson, who previously served as executive vice president and interim chancellor at the University of Illinois, said the focus right now for the Big Ten’s Council of Presidents and Chancellors is how to acclimate USC and UCLA into the league. The league’s hierarchy met electronically Thursday morning in a previously planned meeting.

“I can’t really say anything about expansion, other than to say we’re really just trying to figure out what we’ve done and how to do this well with the two new schools,” Wilson told The Athletic. “Everybody’s talking about more and more, and I think what we’re focusing on is how do we manage bringing (in) these two partners in the next two years?

“It’s like taking a breath and saying, ‘OK, now, how do we make sure this is a successful expansion?’”

There are going to be a (relative) ton of BIg Ten alumni in Seattle and Bay Area simply due to tech jobs. Just is what it is
Yep, especially since the B1G schools rank pretty high in Computer Science among other schools in the nation.

Yep, especially since the B1G schools rank pretty high in Computer Science among other schools in the nation.
I recall a story about folks moving out of MN, the most common destination was California.

When I was in AZ and the Gophers were ding well ... I had all sorts of MN random people come up to say high because I had a U hat on.

They just come out of the woodwork!

Annie Agar has a new video out for a "meeting" of B1G schools.

pretty typical for her - makes fun of a lot of schools. MN actually came off fairly unscathed. She really ripped Nebraska and Michigan State.

and then at the end, she comes on in a Washington jersey and pretends to call the Big 12.

worth watching if you like her stuff.

I doubt Washington brings in enough money. They are not a big name in revenue sports. I think we need to go after a TX school and a FL school. Make the BIG a true national league. Would also help with recruiting.
Neither was (or is) Rutgers. But what they purportedly brought with them was the NYC market and the expectation is UW would do the same for the Seattle/Pacific Northwest market (Seattle is the 14th largest media market in the US. The Twin Cities in 15th).

Here's a list of athletic revenue by school top 50 for 2019. Washington is the top PAC12 school. I realize this doesn't technically illustrate the importance of the media market, but it does matter.

1662148094135.png

Neither was (or is) Rutgers. But what they purportedly brought with them was the NYC market and the expectation is UW would do the same for the Seattle/Pacific Northwest market (Seattle is the 14th largest media market in the US. The Twin Cities in 15th).
I'd put Washington more like Virginia Tech. I know you weren't comparing their football program to Rutgers, I'm just sayin.

Not at all a helmet school, but a solid program that has had some nice seasons.

Here's a list of athletic revenue by school top 50 for 2019. Washington is the top PAC12 school. I realize this doesn't technically illustrate the importance of the media market, but it does matter.

View attachment 20126
That data comes from a survey that each school fills out every year.

Every school (system) accounts things differently. So I would be interested to know what kind of variance there is across schools for what they account as "football revenue".

I find it hard to believe that Washington has $91M, Florida has $94M, but Kentucky only has $44M.

That data comes from a survey that each school fills out every year.

Every school (system) accounts things differently. So I would be interested to know what kind of variance there is across schools for what they account as "football revenue".

I find it hard to believe that Washington has $91M, Florida has $94M, but Kentucky only has $44M.

It's been a few years since I looked into that (and am not doing it now), but I think things like TV revenue, donations, and such can get lumped into a general category or into a sport like football which could skew things.

Last edited:

You'd be surprised. I live in Seattle as well and I see a lot of MN plates driving around here, plus the occasional Gopher license plate liner or window decal.

The midwest to Seattle pipeline is strong.
The criminals travel between Minneapolis / St. Paul to Seattle.

Gophers 2nd most common non-conference opponent historically is Washington...

Top Bottom