Vikings Plan Two-Year Stay at TCF

This thread is a big fail despite an interesting original post. I wish we could have a "do over" that discussed the potential changes, temporary and forever, to our favorite football stadium. Some of these things can be found here, if you are willing to read through mountains of opinion on foul lines and amature baseball.

I am very interested to see how this shacking up relationship progresses.

1. I predict the temporary seating added to the west end zone ends up looking very nice, especially when the stadium is full. I would think they will do a better job of making the seats look good than stringing up a bunch of boards, planks, and pipe. I also think it would be a good promotional opportunity for the U to play with (free tickets to youth football teams, etc.) in those new seats.
2. If the Vikings are going to be paying to add the capability of warming the field (which will require new turf to be added), it will be very interesting to see if they put in generic turf that can be painted, or if the U is smart enough to demand the same type of turf design, block M sewn in, etc. To me, this is a concern and I hope the U isn't yellow bellied enough to get stuck with the need to paint their own logos on their own field every week for years to come.
3. Since beer sales have been a success so far and nobody has got naked and streaked across the field due to their TCF Bank stadium booze intake, I wonder if the two year arrival of the Vikings will be enough to get the beer out of the gardens and into concession stands outside of the student section. It will be interesting to see if the Vikings' arrival further influences TCF beer sales for Gopher games.
4. How are they repackaging loge boxes and suites for Vikings suite owners?
5. Will the hosting of the Vikings be a good opportunity to finally get some hockey done in TCF? I'm assuming since the plumbing will still be flowing and the stadium will not be winterized well into January, it would make hosting a winter classic or hockey day in MN less expensive than it would be to pull it out of winterization after a college football season.
6. I wonder how they are going to handle Viking vs Gopher season ticket holders when it comes to the ability to order up seat backs in the bench areas. Viking fans just plain out of luck and have to seatbacks unless their Gopher counterpart has ordered them?

It seems to me with Vikings coming and needing the west end space for temporary seating they have a great "excuse" to move beer sales to where food is sold. The Vikings and their fans will riot if that doesn't occur.

And you know this how?

If the Vikings offer enough money (and they will) the U will agree to just about anything, including a midfield logo that isn't as nice as the one we have now.

If the Vikings offer enough money (and they will) the U will agree to just about anything, including a midfield logo that isn't as nice as the one we have now.

If they do paint the end zone please no posts about how it's the wrong purple...

In this situation, the U has all of the leverage. The Vikings need a place to play in front of their own fans. If they would have to move any home game outside of Minneapolis, while having years to plan for moving during construction, season ticket holders will bail on the Vikings. TCF is the only place they would be able to play in the state while their stadium is being constructed.

The Vikings need the U in order to get their stadium constructed. The U will be able to force the Vikings to meet their demands. Really, if there is any issue between both parties, it would be on finalizing a revenue sharing figure or something like rent. This deal would not fall through on small details like logos on the field (yes, these are bigger details to fans).

The key word here is IF. And I disagree. I don't think they will. They already will be taking a huge hit financially to play at The Bank for 2 years (they previously stated that they wanted to only play there one year max). All the money being invested to NFL-ize TCF is something they probably aren't too jacked about dropping.

This thread is a big fail despite an interesting original post. I wish we could have a "do over" that discussed the potential changes, temporary and forever, to our favorite football stadium. Some of these things can be found here, if you are willing to read through mountains of opinion on foul lines and amature baseball.

I am very interested to see how this shacking up relationship progresses.

1. I predict the temporary seating added to the west end zone ends up looking very nice, especially when the stadium is full. I would think they will do a better job of making the seats look good than stringing up a bunch of boards, planks, and pipe. I also think it would be a good promotional opportunity for the U to play with (free tickets to youth football teams, etc.) in those new seats.
2. If the Vikings are going to be paying to add the capability of warming the field (which will require new turf to be added), it will be very interesting to see if they put in generic turf that can be painted, or if the U is smart enough to demand the same type of turf design, block M sewn in, etc. To me, this is a concern and I hope the U isn't yellow bellied enough to get stuck with the need to paint their own logos on their own field every week for years to come.
3. Since beer sales have been a success so far and nobody has got naked and streaked across the field due to their TCF Bank stadium booze intake, I wonder if the two year arrival of the Vikings will be enough to get the beer out of the gardens and into concession stands outside of the student section. It will be interesting to see if the Vikings' arrival further influences TCF beer sales for Gopher games.
4. How are they repackaging loge boxes and suites for Vikings suite owners?
5. Will the hosting of the Vikings be a good opportunity to finally get some hockey done in TCF? I'm assuming since the plumbing will still be flowing and the stadium will not be winterized well into January, it would make hosting a winter classic or hockey day in MN less expensive than it would be to pull it out of winterization after a college football season.
6. I wonder how they are going to handle Viking vs Gopher season ticket holders when it comes to the ability to order up seat backs in the bench areas. Viking fans just plain out of luck and have to seatbacks unless their Gopher counterpart has ordered them?

I also hope the U is smart enough to demand the same type of turf with the "M" sewn in....they should have their logo on the 50 when the Vikes play - It's the their house! I'm bet Ziggy Marketing Inc. will find a way to plaster the Vikes logos all over the rest of the stadium for game day anyway. Don't get me wrong love the Vikes - just hope they don't mess with TCF too much!

The only way I go for this deal is if they let us use Peterson!!

In this situation, the U has all of the leverage. The Vikings need a place to play in front of their own fans. If they would have to move any home game outside of Minneapolis, while having years to plan for moving during construction, season ticket holders will bail on the Vikings. TCF is the only place they would be able to play in the state while their stadium is being constructed.

The Vikings need the U in order to get their stadium constructed. The U will be able to force the Vikings to meet their demands. Really, if there is any issue between both parties, it would be on finalizing a revenue sharing figure or something like rent. This deal would not fall through on small details like logos on the field (yes, these are bigger details to fans).

Nobody at the U is going to be playing it tough on the Vikings with Mark Dayton and the Minnesota Legislature looking over their shoulders. The legislature is full of Viking lovers and U haters. Whenever the legislature tells the Board of Regents what to do the Board does it almost without exception. The U does what the legislature wants because every year the U's president has to go hat in hand to the legislature and beg for money. Lots of it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U of M Seeks State Funding - Lawmakers Want Administration Spending Answers
MPR NEWS - February 7, 2013

In December the Wall Street Journal reported the university had the largest percentage of managers and administrators among top research universities last year.

It said the university has hired a thousand administrators in the past decade even as tuition and fees more than doubled, far beyond the average increases among four-year public colleges.

Legislators have grilled university executives about the report in recent hearings. Senate leaders expect an interim report on administrative spending from the university by March 15.

All this happens as the university also requests $92 million more from the legislature this biennium. University officials say that will enable them to fund research initiatives and enact a two-year freeze on tuition.

The governor has set aside $80 million for that in his budget proposal, but has made it contingent on a satisfactory report on administrative spending.

State officials haven't yet said what would constitute a satisfactory report. And it's unclear how much of the university's budget request the state will ultimately be able to afford, satisfactory report or not.

Nobody at the U is going to be playing it tough on the Vikings with Mark Dayton and the Minnesota Legislature looking over their shoulders. The legislature is full of Viking lovers and U haters. Whenever the legislature tells the Board of Regents what to do the Board does it almost without exception. The U does what the legislature wants because every year the U's president has to go hat in hand to the legislature and beg for money. Lots of it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U of M Seeks State Funding - Lawmakers Want Administration Spending Answers
MPR NEWS - February 7, 2013

In December the Wall Street Journal reported the university had the largest percentage of managers and administrators among top research universities last year.

It said the university has hired a thousand administrators in the past decade even as tuition and fees more than doubled, far beyond the average increases among four-year public colleges.

Legislators have grilled university executives about the report in recent hearings. Senate leaders expect an interim report on administrative spending from the university by March 15.

All this happens as the university also requests $92 million more from the legislature this biennium. University officials say that will enable them to fund research initiatives and enact a two-year freeze on tuition.

The governor has set aside $80 million for that in his budget proposal, but has made it contingent on a satisfactory report on administrative spending.

State officials haven't yet said what would constitute a satisfactory report. And it's unclear how much of the university's budget request the state will ultimately be able to afford, satisfactory report or not.

That's great. But the Vikings have also jerked the legislature around to get this deal done, and they are still bickering about many different details involving stadium design and the purchase of tickets/financing the construction. The fact is the Vikings and the Legislature need the U in order to keep this deal in tact. Unless Teague is a Maturi clone, he will only sign off on changes to TCF that will benefit the U in the long run. Example - getting the Vikings to agree to pay for the installation of heating coils. It is a guarantee that there would be certain items that would be "untouchable" in some sense.

Once ground is broken and money is put down for construction, the U is sitting in the driver's seat. There is no way any parties involved would back out of the deal once they have put their own money on the table.

That's great. But the Vikings have also jerked the legislature around to get this deal done, and they are still bickering about many different details involving stadium design and the purchase of tickets/financing the construction. The fact is the Vikings and the Legislature need the U in order to keep this deal in tact. Unless Teague is a Maturi clone, he will only sign off on changes to TCF that will benefit the U in the long run. Example - getting the Vikings to agree to pay for the installation of heating coils. It is a guarantee that there would be certain items that would be "untouchable" in some sense.

Once ground is broken and money is put down for construction, the U is sitting in the driver's seat. There is no way any parties involved would back out of the deal once they have put their own money on the table.

I think it was more a case of the U saying; if you want a heated field you pay for it and make sure our field is exactly the way you found it.

I think it was more a case of the U saying; if you want a heated field you pay for it and make sure our field is exactly the way you found it.

Agreed. I think if the Vikings want their logos on the field though, the U will make them pay for out (beyond the initial cost and maintenance). I think the M will stay on the 50; otherwise the Vikings would have to pay to replace the turf initially, for every paint job over the 2 years, and to replace the turf when they leave in addition to what the U would charge them. That's a lot of money.

Agreed. I think if the Vikings want their logos on the field though, the U will make them pay for out (beyond the initial cost and maintenance). I think the M will stay on the 50; otherwise the Vikings would have to pay to replace the turf initially, for every paint job over the 2 years, and to replace the turf when they leave in addition to what the U would charge them. That's a lot of money.

Very true, especially when the Vikings are short of money.

Very true, especially when the Vikings are short of money.

Everyone is short on money compared to you Doc.

Sarah-Rafferty-gif-2.gif

Everyone is short on money compared to you Doc.

Sarah-Rafferty-gif-2.gif

Yes, and because of the chick, I have become dependently broke. She fell for me because of my money. Unfortunately, it was a very, very short love affair.

I wouldn't mind the end zones becoming unpainted as long as the colors remained maroon & gold. I thought the look of the Minnesota end zone in the bowl game was clean & nice.

Is it really that big of a deal that the Vikings wouldn't have a logo on the field? I don't remember the Bears or Seahawks caring much when they had their stints at Illinois & Washington respectively.

I wouldn't mind the end zones becoming unpainted as long as the colors remained maroon & gold. I thought the look of the Minnesota end zone in the bowl game was clean & nice.

Is it really that big of a deal that the Vikings wouldn't have a logo on the field? I don't remember the Bears or Seahawks caring much when they had their stints at Illinois & Washington respectively.

Not sure what you mean by unpainted. To the best of my knowledge there is no paint on the field at all.

Currently, the end zones are maroon. I wouldn't mind if they were simply the color of the grass with the only colors being MINNESOTA. When I mean painted, I'm meaning the color. I know that with field turf, it's stiched in.

Currently, the end zones are maroon. I wouldn't mind if they were simply the color of the grass with the only colors being MINNESOTA. When I mean painted, I'm meaning the color. I know that with field turf, it's stiched in.

Not sure what this has to do with the Vikings logo on field.

Not sure what you mean by unpainted. To the best of my knowledge there is no paint on the field at all.

My prediction is that the sewn items (B1G Logo, M, End Zones) stay. The only paint on the field will be the special games (opening weekend, playoffs, etc).

My prediction is that the sewn items (B1G Logo, M, End Zones) stay. The only paint on the field will be the special games (opening weekend, playoffs, etc).

So you're saying they will paint over the permanent logos etc with Viking crap on these special days. I do not see that ever happening and I don't think it should. I will guarantee the U will insist the field will be the same as it is now when the Vikes leave.

They will have to do something about hash-marks though.

So you're saying they will paint over the permanent logos etc with Viking crap on these special days. I do not see that ever happening and I don't think it should. I will guarantee the U will insist the field will be the same as it is now when the Vikes leave.

They will have to do something about hash-marks though.

No, the painted logos are usually at 30 Yard Line, but can probably be moved to midfield between the sidelines and the numbers.

Shooter Now: Will Gophers stadium builder make TCF Vikings-friendly?

Mortenson Construction, which, as expected, got the contract for the new Vikings stadium, would be interested in bidding for the NFL retrofitting needed at TCF Bank Stadium.

Mortenson also built the University of Minnesota Gophers' stadium, which will be the Vikings' home for the 2014 and 2015 seasons.

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_22619956/shooter-now-will-gophers-stadium-builder-make-tcf

Go Gophers!!

Not sure what this has to do with the Vikings logo on field.

Has to do with the Vikings in general; you think they're going to only focus on a midfield logo while the end zones are are a completely different color? If they're worried about how the field looks, they're worried about all aspects; the colors of the end zones, the midfield logo & the Big Ten logos.

It has to do with the fact that if the Vikings put in a new heated surface, I don't think it would be a bad thing for both parties to go to an end zone that looks like the one they had in the bowl game.

Has to do with the Vikings in general; you think they're going to only focus on a midfield logo while the end zones are are a completely different color? If they're worried about how the field looks, they're worried about all aspects; the colors of the end zones, the midfield logo & the Big Ten logos.

It has to do with the fact that if the Vikings put in a new heated surface, I don't think it would be a bad thing for both parties to go to an end zone that looks like the one they had in the bowl game.

I can't remember what the end zone looked like in the bowl game.

With the heating coils going in, the turf apparently will have to be replaced. Assuming the U wants the turf(design and layout) the same as it is now I do not see any Viking crap going on that field. Maybe something small, but nothing at midfield or in the endzones. The U will not let anyone change the field from what they have selected. You're not going to paint over a field that was not intended to be painted. Now if the turf was going to be replaced again after the Vikings leave(and at the Vikings expense), that would be a different story.

Why not just have a mid-field logo of Big Ole (Vikings) shaking hands with Goldy Gopher as a symbol of Unity and that we are all together.

Why not just have a mid-field logo of Big Ole (Vikings) shaking hands with Goldy Gopher as a symbol of Unity and that we are all together.

Only you would come up with something like that.

Could we have them riding of a Bison?

Top Bottom