Vikings Plan Two-Year Stay at TCF

The U will not let anyone change the field from what they have selected. You're not going to paint over a field that was not intended to be painted. Now if the turf was going to be replaced again after the Vikings leave(and at the Vikings expense), that would be a different story.

I believe the Vikings will pay the costs to install a field they can paint their logos on for two years and then pay the cost to replace it with a field designed to the Gopher's specifications after they move into their new stadium. It shouldn't cost them more than $300,000 to do it. Since they probably will get a multi-field discount from the turf company their cost for replacing it the second time might be significantly less than $300,000.

The following article details what it cost the Buffalo Bills to replace (not install) their old field.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New player in artificial turf business could spark price war

Posted by Mike Florio on May 8, 2011

While surveying the Internet for possible stories to share, I tripped across an item in the Buffalo News regarding the new artificial surface to be installed at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Orchard Park, New York.

Hooked by the fact that the company that won the contract is owned by a lifelong Bills fans, I was shocked by the price of the job: $178,000. Though A-Turf may simply be hoping to crack the NFL market, the price falls far short of similar projects. For example, the Metrodome spent $495,000 last year on a new artificial surface. In St. Louis, the Edward Jones Dome plunked down $2.5 million for a system that allows the turf to be moved when the facility isn’t being used for football, an alternative to the prior approach that cost $300,000 per year.

According to its website, FieldTurf costs well over $700,000 to install.

If A-Turf establishes any traction (pun not intended but nevertheless acknowledged), its competitors’ prices could be dropping quickly.

Assuming that A-Turf can charge a rate that low and still make a profit.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...tificial-turf-business-could-spark-price-war/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following is A-Turf's response to Florio's article:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A-Turf, Inc. is very excited about the upcoming turf project for the Buffalo Bills and Erie County taxpayers at Ralph Wilson Stadium. We’ve followed some of the chatter and want to alleviate any concerns on the part of the passionate football fans and taxpayers in general.

In the field building business, it’s rare to have the opportunity to showcase your system at an NFL stadium venue. The marketing value and credibility is immeasurable. This truly is a win-win situation, the Bills get a premier system and we get the honor of installing it.

Given that this was a public bid led by Erie County, the price is a matter of public record. Over the years many NFL stadium fields have been given away by other field builders, at reduced prices or in some cases at no cost at all. In many of these cases, the Club makes the decision, meaning it’s not a public bid process and therefore the cost of such fields is not released. Why would a field builder do this? Again, because the exposure is tremendous and the difference between market price and paid price is treated as a multi-year marketing investment.

Given the scope of work at Ralph Wilson Stadium, market price would have been in the low $300,000’s, not the $700,000 – $1,000,000 mentioned in above comments. The three quarters of a million dollars would be more typical of converting a natural grass field to synthetic, which includes considerable site work cost.

The Ralph Wilson Stadium project is much simpler – remove the old and replace it with the new. As a matter of public record, the second low bid was $269,100.

Jim Dobmeier
A-Turf, Inc.
President & Founder

The way I understand it, you cannot repeatedly paint field turf. It basically compromises and eventually destroys the surface and underlayment materials. It is not recommended by Field Turf to paint their product often. Read about it, page 16.

Let's keep this really, really simple. How about a green turf with no logos for two years. When that time period passes, the Vikings pay to restore TCF turf to its original state. I really think it would serve everyone best if we just be simple for a couple of years.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwareho...2a2efebe8&rtyp=lt&ctyp=other&ts=1209926378000

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...Juiy2gW2lIDYBw&sqi=2&ved=0CDUQ9QEwAg&dur=4367

I go to a football game to watch 2 teams play. I don't come to smile at a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing logo.

The way I understand it, you cannot repeatedly paint field turf. It basically compromises and eventually destroys the surface and underlayment materials. It is not recommended by Field Turf to paint their product often.

After the old field is ripped up to install a heating system the interim field will only have to last two years. The Vikings will move into their new stadium and pay the cost to replace the Gophers field with their stitched on logos. The cost for the interim field with painted logos for two years will be peanuts for them. I will be shocked if Ziggy doesn't want to pay it so he can have Vikings logos for 20 regular season and exhibition games and any home playoff games.

And the Gophers will be ok with an interim field with painted Gopher logos because they would much rather have a brand new field to play on rather than one that has been used by the Vikings for 20 games plus. That is three seasons worth of games for the Gophers.

Many of the 'field or turf issues' may have already been decided upon. Doogie are you out there?

Having said that, the U and only the U will have the final decision on that. What are the Vikings going to say; we'll go play somewhere else then?

How much value is there in replacing the turf after two years? If it is a big value the U may be more inclined to go with a turf that can be painted on and how much viking related will be allowed?

How much real value is there for the Vikings to have their purple V at midfield and VIKINGS in the end-zone? I would think they will be more concerned about their in-house advertising....signs, banners and all that crap.

Many of the 'field or turf issues' may have already been decided upon. Doogie are you out there?

Having said that, the U and only the U will have the final decision on that. What are the Vikings going to say; we'll go play somewhere else then?

How much value is there in replacing the turf after two years? If it is a big value the U may be more inclined to go with a turf that can be painted on and how much viking related will be allowed?

How much real value is there for the Vikings to have their purple V at midfield and VIKINGS in the end-zone? I would think they will be more concerned about their in-house advertising....signs, banners and all that crap.

Well there is the FargoDome that holds 18 thou or so. I would think that Big Ole could chip in with some viable input on this topic, 19.

Well there is the FargoDome that holds 18 thou or so. I would think that Big Ole could chip in with some viable input on this topic, 19.

The FargoDome has the same sized footprint of Big Ole's shoe size, if you know what I mean.

The FargoDome has the same sized footprint of Big Ole's shoe size, if you know what I mean.

Ole's problem is not his big feet. His problem is that he "speaks loudly and carries a little stick". If ya know what I mean.

Are we certain that they cannot buy one field with extra end zones and midfield patches and swap them? I assume the turf didn't come in one piece. They probably already own a grooming machine. Any experts know if this is possible? Maybe too tough for a Saturday / Sunday changeover?

Are we certain that they cannot buy one field with extra end zones and midfield patches and swap them? I assume the turf didn't come in one piece. They probably already own a grooming machine. Any experts know if this is possible? Maybe too tough for a Saturday / Sunday changeover?

You want a turf with good footing, no patchwork seams.

No problem. I have always been of the W.C. Field's school of spelling, i.e. if you can't spell a word at least three different ways you are not very intelligent.

He also said one day while golfing:

hand me the 7 club

Hand me the 5 club

Hell, hand me the canadian club

That was Dr Don's line.

I didn't know W.C. Field stole that from Dr Don. I guess that means Dr. Don must be older than Bill. Did Dr. Don also say that he liked children if they are cooked properly?

After being on vacation for a week I come back to this thread and got excited when there was 9 pages worth of reading. However too many comments about the Amature Baseball argument and what midfield will look like. What I want to know is if they will upgrade the suites? How many seats are avialible now in the DQ club level and the other Premium seating options? Thats where the big money is for Pro Football. Wonder if they wnat more or some better options.

After being on vacation for a week I come back to this thread and got excited when there was 9 pages worth of reading. However too many comments about the Amature Baseball argument and what midfield will look like. What I want to know is if they will upgrade the suites? How many seats are avialible now in the DQ club level and the other Premium seating options? Thats where the big money is for Pro Football. Wonder if they wnat more or some better options.

No the big money is TV.

Doubt the Vikes will spend much if any on suite and club upgrades for two years of use.

They need to spend money on heated field, added seats for STH's and cold weatherizing concessions and restrooms.

They will also be trying to maximize their advertising revenue.

Is this inferiority complex *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# about the Vikings really necessary? It makes us come across as petty and horrible people.

Charley Walters:
http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_22636994/shooter-now-twins-joe-mauers-three-batting-titles

"A consulting study to determine how to upgrade numerous Gophers athletic facilities, including building a basketball practice facility, is about three-quarters complete and should be finished by mid-March. The overall project is expected to exceed $100 million, which would have to be raised privately.

Meanwhile, the Vikings are expected to pay for heating the Gophers' TCF Bank Stadium so their games can be played in December when the NFL team moves across town in 2014-15 during construction of their new stadium. Cost of replacing the "Bank's" artificial turf, which is 4 years old, is expected to be in the $800,000 range. It's unclear what will become of the stadium's replaced artificial turf.

The 'Bank,' also at the Vikings' expense, is expected to get heated concourses and temporary seating on the west plaza that would increase stadium seating from 50,000 to about 56,000.

Besides a basketball practice facility, upgrades are to include football (new practice facility), baseball (phase II), wrestling, gymnastics, track, a study center and food service. Also included is fixing leaks in Williams Arena's roof.

Charley Walters:
http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_22636994/shooter-now-twins-joe-mauers-three-batting-titles

"A consulting study to determine how to upgrade numerous Gophers athletic facilities, including building a basketball practice facility, is about three-quarters complete and should be finished by mid-March. The overall project is expected to exceed $100 million, which would have to be raised privately.

Meanwhile, the Vikings are expected to pay for heating the Gophers' TCF Bank Stadium so their games can be played in December when the NFL team moves across town in 2014-15 during construction of their new stadium. Cost of replacing the "Bank's" artificial turf, which is 4 years old, is expected to be in the $800,000 range. It's unclear what will become of the stadium's replaced artificial turf.

The 'Bank,' also at the Vikings' expense, is expected to get heated concourses and temporary seating on the west plaza that would increase stadium seating from 50,000 to about 56,000.

Besides a basketball practice facility, upgrades are to include football (new practice facility), baseball (phase II), wrestling, gymnastics, track, a study center and food service. Also included is fixing leaks in Williams Arena's roof.

Could they store the old turf and use that in the new practice facility?

Not sure if that would be worth the expense to store it somewhere, my guess is no.

The football renovations are going to be amazing, finally putting us on par with the big boys!

If they treat the old turf like they did the old big ten logos, they will just throw it in a dumpster. Not kidding, you could pull up to the the stadium, look in the dumpster and the old Big Ten logo was staring at you in the face. You mean to tell me that they couldn't sell those to a bar on campus, or a collector of odd sports memorabilia?

Additionally, do the suites really need to be upgraded? I would imagine a recently built stadium would not have dated suites. Are we talking electronics, or just furnishings? Has anyone experienced a game from a suite?

If they treat the old turf like they did the old big ten logos, they will just throw it in a dumpster. Not kidding, you could pull up to the the stadium, look in the dumpster and the old Big Ten logo was staring at you in the face. You mean to tell me that they couldn't sell those to a bar on campus, or a collector of odd sports memorabilia?

Additionally, do the suites really need to be upgraded? I would imagine a recently built stadium would not have dated suites. Are we talking electronics, or just furnishings? Has anyone experienced a game from a suite?

Yeah I've been in the TCF suites a few times through work tickets, and compared to the ones at the X and Target Field... really no difference in quality. Very nice, great indoor and outdoor seating... great common area in the DQ club room, nice chairs/couches in the "concourse" (the area right outside the suites). For the life of me I can't imagine what nicer would look like...

Field Turf doesn't work that way. Each fiber is like a blade of grass, with a "root". The fibers are about 4" long with 2-3" of fill and a 1/2" of backing. The backing is sewn together with the fibers and glued to the undersurface (rock?) to provide lateral stability. In order to "remove" a section, the entire system has to be removed right down to the bottom.

There's also a drainage system under all of this.

Ain't gonna happen during the season. As discussed before, you can only paint the fibers a few times before thay have to be replaced.

The system is designed for player safety, not ease of change-out.

turf-FieldTurf-605.gif

^
I hate it when people use reason, logic or facts to make their point. They represent less than 1% of the people on this site and should be banned.

I have to know, what were you hoping to find when you drove up to the stadium, found the dumptser and peered inside?

Top Bottom