Vikings Plan Two-Year Stay at TCF

Small dome and baseball don't really go hand and hand. It isn't like football where all you have to do is account for the height of a punt or kickoff. Not saying it couldn't be done but it would be pretty a pretty expensive proposition and you are dealing with organizations that don't have a ton of funding available for stadiums.

MIAC schools don't have money? What were the dimensions of he old Arlington/Rice dome?

The University should ask that some of the upgrades the Vikings make be in the form of seat back chairs to replace some of the benches in TCF.

Have Wilf replace all the benches in the west end of the stadium, both decks and in the end zone.

It would probably be a net gain for the Vikings too because they could definitely charge more for an actual seat than a backless bench.

The University should ask that some of the upgrades the Vikings make be in the form of seat back chairs to replace some of the benches in TCF.

Have Wilf replace all the benches in the west end of the stadium, both decks and in the end zone.

It would probably be a net gain for the Vikings too because they could definitely charge more for an actual seat than a backless bench.

Bingo!!! Thats I guess one thing that I hope to see. At least in the bottom bowl.

17 - The number of scheduled Gopher Baseball game at the dome this year.

400 - The number of amateur baseball games at the dome this year.

500, 000,000 - The number of public dollars being spent to build new Viking Stadium

Yep. This.

the worst kind of welfare.... corporate welfare. and that is exactly what this is. Hell the ziggy made a couple hundred dollars just on speculation that the team will be worth more when the stadium is complete. To think that he is actually paying his share is absurd.

the worst kind of welfare.... corporate welfare. and that is exactly what this is. Hell the ziggy made a couple hundred dollars just on speculation that the team will be worth more when the stadium is complete. To think that he is actually paying his share is absurd.

You definitely get it!

I'm not super excited for the Vikes to play at TCF. NFL and College needs from a venue are vastly different. I am excited that we'll get some upgrades that probably should have been done initially. Plus we get exposure. Think of all the people/recruits that picture Minnesota as a cold/desolate area.....now picture the Vikes on national TV on a beautiful September afternoon, at the same time people see the giant 'M' at midfield and hopefully realize how nice it is up here. Love it!

I'm not super excited for the Vikes to play at TCF. NFL and College needs from a venue are vastly different. I am excited that we'll get some upgrades that probably should have been done initially. Plus we get exposure. Think of all the people/recruits that picture Minnesota as a cold/desolate area.....now picture the Vikes on national TV on a beautiful September afternoon, at the same time people see the giant 'M' at midfield and hopefully realize how nice it is up here. Love it!

I feel the same way!

Is this the plan? I would assume the Vikes will stitch in their logo at midfield.

The heat will go in the ground and the new turf will be blank so they can paint the M or Norseman on the field. Just my prediction.

Is this the plan? I would assume the Vikes will stitch in their logo at midfield.

I'm not sure how that would be possible, unless the entire area from each 40 yard line were to be removed and interchangeable.

I remember the turf going in initially and everything was custom and sewn in. Big difference in shape between a block M and a Norseman. I don't think paint is an option.

We'll see I guess.

The heat will go in the ground and the new turf will be blank so they can paint the M or Norseman on the field. Just my prediction.

Not disagreeing but I hope not. Would be too reminiscent of the Dome IMO. I love the Vikes but this is OUR stadium. If the turf was blank, they'd have to replace it after the two years anyways. Gophers don't want cheap paint compared to what we have now. It'd be a step backwards.

Not disagreeing but I hope not. Would be too reminiscent of the Dome IMO. I love the Vikes but this is OUR stadium. If the turf was blank, they'd have to replace it after the two years anyways. Gophers don't want cheap paint compared to what we have now. It'd be a step backwards.

I'm sure they will get new turf in 2016

Didn't the Bears play on an Illinois field with the I on it still? Why would this be any different?

I was just going to ask that. That is what I remember as well. There's been a lot of booze between then and now, so I wasn't sure! haha

Didn't the Bears play on an Illinois field with the I on it still? Why would this be any different?

This. I would be surprised if the Vikings had their logos on The Bank's field during their short stay. The Bears played in Champaign with the Illini's colors/logos, they turned out fine.

It's too bad that Zig will be allowed into TCF. The S.O.B. isn't cooperating with amateur baseball including the Gophers. He's also jacking around the County with the roads.

The "People's Stadium" my azz. It's Zig's "Rich Man's Playground!"

It is a football stadium first. They shouldn't make the football experience worse so that they can accommodate the 14 fans that come to amateur baseball games.

It is a football stadium first. They shouldn't make the football experience worse so that they can accommodate the 14 fans that come to amateur baseball games.

For $975 mill and today's technology they should be able to accommodate both.

The Vikes are throwing out low-ball offers on distance and trying to negotiate the shortest fence distances possible.

How many of you that are for forcing the Vikings to make a less than ideal football stadium would feel the same way if the situation were reversed?

If when TCF Stadium were being built (with public money) what if the Gopher Baseball team demanded that the dimensions accommodate their games as well thus pushing the seating further away from the field?

Absolutely zero would be in favor of this. Just like the Vikings shouldn't be in favor or forced to accept this.

The correct answer way to have handled this would have been to plan for this when Target Field was being built - a baseball stadium.

The state of Minnesota is making the largest PUBLIC contribution in the history of the NFL, part of the PUBLIC agreement to help build that stadium is that it can house baseball. If the Vikings wanted the stadium to fit every need they wanted finance it themselves or fight harder at the negotiating table. It is supposedly called the "peoples stadium" well when it was agreed to it by our elected officials that agreement was made with being able to house baseball.(Not with a 300 foot power alley) Ziggy, as Ruesse as pointed out, is only putting up about 100 million of his own dollars.(NFL donating 200 million counts as Ziggys end and the Vikings won't even say how much of his own money is the truth.) I dont agree with Ruesse much but he was right that a Billionaire is only putting in about 10% of the stadium from his own pokets. When TCF was built it wasn't agreed to house baseball like the new "peoples" stadium was. If it had been then there would not be any reason to bitch when it was the agreement was. Also I believe the state paid 48% of 288 mill to come out to 138 million, not 477 million. I am not against the new "peoples stadium" just don't like the Vikings trying to be bullies and get exactly what they want when they asked for that much public assistance. There is a way to make it work might cost a billionaire a couple of bucks but oh well and if anyone has played baseball past Little League knows you cannot play with a 300 foot power alley.

Station 19 and River Gopher get it. I'm a bit more extreme but this is a classic case of corporate welfare. You'd think after Zig panhandled the State for this hugh public subsidy that he'd play fair and throw a bone to amateur baseball. Let's not forget he is also trying to jack the County (fortunately I'm in Ramsey so the crap isn't as deep but that's another story). I'm guessing he probably has enough zealots on his side to allow for the making of his exclusive football playground. Bottom line, this is the "Rich Man's Playground."

Bingo!!! Thats I guess one thing that I hope to see. At least in the bottom bowl.
This is selfish, but I would absolutely hate it. I actually like the benches, we've had several chances to switch to seatback chairs, but have stayed put. There's only 10 spaces in our row, but we could easily fit 12 adults in that row. Benches on the west end make it so much easier to get in and out of your seat. It so much more open and easy to maneuver around on that end. I don't need a nice chair at a live sporting event.

The state of Minnesota is making the largest PUBLIC contribution in the history of the NFL, part of the PUBLIC agreement to help build that stadium is that it can house baseball. If the Vikings wanted the stadium to fit every need they wanted finance it themselves or fight harder at the negotiating table. It is supposedly called the "peoples stadium" well when it was agreed to it by our elected officials that agreement was made with being able to house baseball.(Not with a 300 foot power alley) Ziggy, as Ruesse as pointed out, is only putting up about 100 million of his own dollars.(NFL donating 200 million counts as Ziggys end and the Vikings won't even say how much of his own money is the truth.) I dont agree with Ruesse much but he was right that a Billionaire is only putting in about 10% of the stadium from his own pokets. When TCF was built it wasn't agreed to house baseball like the new "peoples" stadium was. If it had been then there would not be any reason to bitch when it was the agreement was. Also I believe the state paid 48% of 288 mill to come out to 138 million, not 477 million. I am not against the new "peoples stadium" just don't like the Vikings trying to be bullies and get exactly what they want when they asked for that much public assistance. There is a way to make it work might cost a billionaire a couple of bucks but oh well and if anyone has played baseball past Little League knows you cannot play with a 300 foot power alley.

I understand what you are saying and I love Minnesota baseball. I'm excited that the Gophers and Saints will have quality place to play and that can only help grow amateur baseball. The B1G tourney will be at Target Field this season even!

Having said that, I don't want to see much compromise. Yes it's the 'People's Stadium', but first and foremost it's the Vikings stadium. Think 1B gets approved for a amateur baseball/soccer/monster truck stadium without the Vikings? No chance in he!!.

I want the football experience to be a blast, that's what I'm paying for. There has to be a way to erect some sort of Green Monster, Fenway Park type wall to equal it out. That is one of the best parks in baseball history and it has a scary short distance.

How many of you that are for forcing the Vikings to make a less than ideal football stadium would feel the same way if the situation were reversed?

If when TCF Stadium were being built (with public money) what if the Gopher Baseball team demanded that the dimensions accommodate their games as well thus pushing the seating further away from the field?

Absolutely zero would be in favor of this. Just like the Vikings shouldn't be in favor or forced to accept this.

The correct answer way to have handled this would have been to plan for this when Target Field was being built - a baseball stadium.

The comparison is inapt because 1) we're talking about a private, for-profit entity who is paying less than half of a $1B stadium (their personal contribution will likely be less than $100M when all is said and done, unless they decide to pony up for a retractable roof) compared to a publicly funded university who payed slightly more than half for the stadium that cost <33% of the Vikings stadium (and 1/3 of the state's cost returned a large chunk of land with real, monetary value), and 2) it's an open-air stadium anyway and wouldn't matter.

You're saying that it would have been worth spending even more public money to make Target Field an indoor facility similar to Miller Park or Safeco Field? In the 3 years Target Field has been open there have been a whopping 4 rainouts or cancellations. Would have been a poor fiscal decision.

station19 said it best.. for $975M it should be possible to have a passable baseball configuration and a wonderful football experience. The Vikings are proving they're not interested in the public's use of the stadium and are trying to best negotiate the layout to maximize their own profits.

I understand what you are saying and I love Minnesota baseball. I'm excited that the Gophers and Saints will have quality place to play and that can only help grow amateur baseball. The B1G tourney will be at Target Field this season even!

Having said that, I don't want to see much compromise. Yes it's the 'People's Stadium', but first and foremost it's the Vikings stadium. Think 1B gets approved for a amateur baseball/soccer/monster truck stadium without the Vikings? No chance in he!!.

I want the football experience to be a blast, that's what I'm paying for. There has to be a way to erect some sort of Green Monster, Fenway Park type wall to equal it out. That is one of the best parks in baseball history and it has a scary short distance.

Only because our legislators are spineless will that be true. The public is putting in a larger share than the Vikings. The public's cost over the next 25 years will be far greater when you consider the bond interest and gameday operations. The stadium won't be generating any property tax just like the Metrodome currently doesn't - all the city and state get in return is the marginal increase in sales tax dollars and income taxes from the players/staff. This is a people's funded stadium and we should have 53% say in the design. I doubt the accommodation to allow a reasonable baseball field will make the football experience anything less than a "blast."

I would also say that for around $500M the state could build a pretty decent structure to handle monster truck rallies, soccer, amateur baseball, etc. Somewhere between the dome and the stadium proposed in terms of amenities, design, etc.

While I generally agree that Zygi and Co. should be flexible on this stuff, I would have preferred they done something with Target Field to at least partially cover it or have a retractable feature to make it usable earlier in the year.

The Pohlads and everyone else involved knew that baseball played in February and March can be tough here. And I'm pretty frustrated that ultimately the $100 million dollar price tag is what killed it, considering the good having a retractable roof could have had on Minnesota's baseball community as a whole.

Being able to have winter league ball, Twins Fest, high school tournaments and the like year round would have been great for the state. High schools and youth level ball wouldn't have to shell out thousands of dollars per team, per year to go to Florida or Arizona to train.

And as "nice" as the new Vikings stadium will be, watching a baseball game there wouldn't be able to compare to watching one at Target Field even with a canopy covering.

....Having said that, I don't want to see much compromise. Yes it's the 'People's Stadium', but first and foremost it's the Vikings stadium...I want the football experience to be a blast, that's what I'm paying for. There has to be a way to erect some sort of Green Monster, Fenway Park type wall to equal it out. That is one of the best parks in baseball history and it has a scary short distance.

Putting aside the corporate welfare/inefficient and wasteful "single use" side of the Vikings' argument, you're ignoring the most relevant practical fact in this discussion. We know for a fact that the Vikings can play in a football-centric stadium that offers a great experience for their fans while also providing a half-decent venue for the many (MANY) amateur baseball teams that use it. We know this because they're DOING IT RIGHT NOW. There's a lot of bad things one could say about the dome, but that the dual-sport nature of the venue hurts the football experience isn't one of them. (Unless you're scared of the small section of pull-out bleachers, for some reason. But I don' know of anyone who is.)

What we're arguing about here isn't a good Vikings experience vs. wider Public use. It's the amount of money the Wilfs are going to have to shell out to make it a passable baseball venue. It's going to be great for football regardless.

Top Bottom