UVa site says Tubby to be named coach on Monday

Funny, i was just reading the Sabre, or attempting to read that board, and saw a person claim that Tubby met with UVA AD today and accepted the job.

Thats pretty interesting considering he was at the U hosting a recruit most of the afternoon.

I've never seen a more confusing board layout in my life. The majority of people just post one liners in the subject and that's it, it's hard to read and follow and it's incredibly outdated. Not to mention the majority of their fans are irrational.

Go Gophers!!

If you are talking about the board I think you are, I can't disagree. The best board is Scout.com/HooNation. That's the one I'm part of and most of the comments are reasonable and make sense. A great group of devoted UVA fans.

There are also some other good UVA sites just as there are good Minnesota sites.

The "other site", I believe you are talking about....which I will not name can be confusing and even at times give you a headache to try to follow. A lot of crazy comments....but I guess a lot of UVA fans, probably current students just having "fun". But, then again, at times some pretty good posts can be found. Don't judge "the majority of" UVA fans as being "irrational" by one site. Scout.com/HooNation are dedicated UVA fans, but certainly not "irrational". Most comments are very good, with explanations of their opinions.

Thanks for listening. And visit HooNation sometime. We both have great pride in our schools and want nothing but the best for our programs.

Funny, i was just reading the Sabre, or attempting to read that board, and saw a person claim that Tubby met with UVA AD today and accepted the job.

Thats pretty interesting considering he was at the U hosting a recruit most of the afternoon.

I almost decided to sign up to share that news, but didn't figure it was worth it. They are going to take the non-Tubby hire hard enough.

You'd think that if FoT was an actual friend of Coach Smith's he'd just be able to call him up and ask Tubby what the deal is.

You'd think that if FoT was an actual friend of Coach Smith's he'd just be able to call him up and ask Tubby what the deal is.

Gotta disagree with you there, Chem. A real friend wouldn't pressure his friend for information regarding his career, and even if he did know, a good friend wouldn't tell his friend's business until his friend chooses to announce it.

Funny you should say. Saul was the only ass't that I didn't see all weekend at the state tourney. Jirsa....check. Taylor....check. Esposito...check. Tubby...check. Saul....?

I don't know what to believe anymore but I didn't think about this until you mentioned it. Coincidence? (or maybe he was around and I just didn't see him)

Actually, I believe he was there on both Thursday and Friday.

Funny you should say. Saul was the only ass't that I didn't see all weekend at the state tourney. Jirsa....check. Taylor....check. Esposito...check. Tubby...check. Saul....?

I don't know what to believe anymore but I didn't think about this until you mentioned it. Coincidence? (or maybe he was around and I just didn't see him)

Then I'm sure you know ONLY 3 COACHES can recruit at one time per NCAA rules.

Tubby = 1. Jirsa = 2. Taylor = 3.

Sounds like the Gophers were in compliance.

Gotta disagree with you there, Chem. A real friend wouldn't pressure his friend for information regarding his career, and even if he did know, a good friend wouldn't tell his friend's business until his friend chooses to announce it.

Appreciate that but ChemE and NateDawg (and their ilk) are few and far between among Gopher fans. Every fanbase has a few. The Gophers don't have many at all.

I just wish Tubby would have put it to rest when Myron approached him.

I don't know where that gets those percentages from other than just pure speculation.

I just wish Tubby would have put an end to this when he talked to Myron. He purposefully chose not to put an end to it for one reason or another. Either he's leaving or is just leveraging the rumors for something from Joel, but either way it will keep the story alive.

Only comment about the Tubby rumors

Contrary to what's being reported in the media, what I'm hearing is Donna absolutely is not happy in Minnesota. She tends to be the opposite of her husband. She likes attention & it seems the fact that as Minnesotans we tend to be laid back (for the most part we leave her alone, she's not in the limelight) may not be a good thing. Tubby likes it here. ... Donna, maybe not so much.

Big career decisions like this involve the input of both spouses. My gut feeling is Tubby is going to stay for a little while but the fact that Donna's not all that enamored with Minnesota, that's what concerns me.

Contrary to what's being reported in the media, what I'm hearing is Donna absolutely is not happy in Minnesota. She tends to be the opposite of her husband. She likes attention & it seems the fact that as Minnesotans we tend to be laid back (for the most part we leave her alone, she's not in the limelight) may not be a good thing. Tubby likes it here. ... Donna, maybe not so much.

Big career decisions like this involve the input of both spouses. My gut feeling is Tubby is going to stay for a little while but the fact that Donna's not all that enamored with Minnesota, that's what concerns me.

I imagine that Tubby's professional desires have driven many of the Smith's moves, and at some point, Donna's needs will be met. If is not happy like SS says, maybe this is the time where she drives the decision.

I imagine that Tubby's professional desires have driven many of the Smith's moves, and at some point, Donna's needs will be met. If is not happy like SS says, maybe this is the time where she drives the decision.

If you watch her during the games, you can almost see the frustration on her face at how quiet our fan base is. She is used to fans actually on their feet and screaming during games. At the Barn, more fans scream at each other to sit down than they do Joe Krabbenhoft for being a goon.

Nate's a Gopher fan

FOT, you of all people shouldn't be questioning Nate's loyalty to the Gophers. He's loyal to the Gophers, you're loyal to the coach. There's a huge difference. As others have said, if the day comes Tubby decides to leave Minnesota for another head coaching job (to be clear, I hope that doesn't happen anytime soon), you'll disappear & move on to your next "favorite team."

She is used to fans actually on their feet and screaming during games.

Not at Kentucky she wasn't. Major complaint of their fan base, much like ours, is that too many fans sit on their hands.

Contrary to what's being reported in the media, what I'm hearing is Donna absolutely is not happy in Minnesota. She tends to be the opposite of her husband. She likes attention & it seems the fact that as Minnesotans we tend to be laid back (for the most part we leave her alone, she's not in the limelight) may not be a good thing.

What you're hearing runs counter to what Donna has said publicly.

"I love his job not being on the front page every day," she said. "You don't understand how positive that it is. And I'm really glad people don't know who I am yet. You can be more regular here, just blend in." http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/31145264.html?page=2&c=y

If this is true, then maybe they should move on. If Donna is really that much of an attention hound, then I would say she should go somewhere where every time they appear in public, a huge fuss is made about it.

Don't like people who have the whole "look at me because I'm important" vibe to them. And if that's what Donna and Tubby want, then move on.

I don't believe every quote I read. I'm not buying it. In this case I think it's coach(wife's)speak.

Long Time Ago

SS, that quote was also from the beginning of the season (I think), an eternity in the sporting world. This whole thing is a mess, and won't be settled until both VA and AZ are decided. It sounds like the interim guy at AZ thinks he is out there, and that start a whole wave of new speculation. Ugh!

I feel your pain, Holy Man. I'm going to feel uneasy until those two jobs are filled. And who knows what dominos will take place once Kentucky makes its hire?

I just keep reminding myself, I'm thankful we have a coach other schools want. It beats the alternative we had previously.

Next time you talk to her, ask her if she's been to the Mall of America.

Appreciate that but ChemE and NateDawg (and their ilk) are few and far between among Gopher fans. Every fanbase has a few. The Gophers don't have many at all.

I'm only an ass to you buddy. I see past your crap while the others enjoy you because you lead them to believe that Tubby is a saviour. He's a basketball coach, and a good one, but I'm a Minnesota fan and I know that a program goes far beyond any one person.

You showed up to the Minnesota-Northwestern game two years ago decked out in Kentucky stuff. If a "friend of Nate" showed up at my new job wearing clothes from my own job, I would think that was sort of weird. Don't you?

Then this year, you waddled out of the game early because the Gophers weren't going to win. Us real fans stuck around until the end.

As you can probably tell, people around here don't have a problem with me, because they're all true Minnesota fans. You're a Tubby fan, so you don't belong.

Top Bottom