UVa site says Tubby to be named coach on Monday

I've never seen a more confusing board layout in my life. The majority of people just post one liners in the subject and that's it, it's hard to read and follow and it's incredibly outdated. Not to mention the majority of their fans are irrational.

Go Gophers!!

I was thinking the same thing when I looked at their board as well! I really wish Tubby would come out like Donovon did today with Kentucky and smile in UVA's face and say thanks but no thanks! Channel 4 sports last night showed Tubby watching some small school high school games at the barn last night...Do you really believe that Tubby would be wasting his time watching this game (no major D1 talent) if he were on the verge of leaving?! No! He would have been in Rodney and Royce's ears to try and get them to go with.
:party:

The Sabre is hilarious. I read one post that said we were nicknamed the Gophers because we "stick our head in the dirt and ignore rumors". These guys think they have a legit shot at Tubby, which is funny. They also think that Capel is their no.2 choice on the backburner if Tubby somehow doesn't come which is hilarious.

The press conference introducing their actual coach will be a real downer for the Wahoo fans.

It was not obligatory. If you think Lickliter would sit through negative questions about the future of Iowa basketball today, all the while knowing he's going to be introduced on Monday in Charlotteville, then you're nuts. On top of which, anyone who thinks that the UVA AD would fire Leito, float Tubby's name, and then pull out Todd Freaking Lickliter as the coach, then they are even more nuts. That would essentially be career suicide for that AD.

First ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON post in this entire freakin thread. Congrats TJG. Iowa fans would be ecstatic if UVA were to take Lickliter off their hands. He's the only coach I can think of that could have possibly made Iowa worse than Indiana is just one off season. Not just anyone can do that...

I was thinking the same thing when I looked at their board as well! I really wish Tubby would come out like Donovon did today with Kentucky and smile in UVA's face and say thanks but no thanks! Channel 4 sports last night showed Tubby watching some small school high school games at the barn last night...Do you really believe that Tubby would be wasting his time watching this game (no major D1 talent) if he were on the verge of leaving?! No! He would have been in Rodney and Royce's ears to try and get them to go with.
:party:

Reall?:confused: After they signed LOIs? Dont think so :confused:

Reall?:confused: After they signed LOIs? Dont think so :confused:

true, true...but doesn't explain why he would be sitting around the barn watching a 2A game while on the verge of signing half way across the country...

Was he really at a 2A basketball game? That howard lake game? Seriously?

yes! I'm not sure the two teams, but I saw video on channel 4 during sports on thurs night of him watching it. Must be looking for diamonds in the rough for UVA...I think not. :D Just making his presence known around the state by being seen as often as possible. IMO

Was he really at a 2A basketball game? That howard lake game? Seriously?

actually, he was at the chisholm game on thursday partly in support/admiration of their head coach who has been coaching that squad for something like 54 years. what is wrong with that?!

i have read a couple of your prior posts. recommendation: quit trying to be a provocative smart-ass prick regarding the gophers and tubby.......it is not working too well. ;)

That wasnt a smartass comment. Ive heard other people say he left the state tourney early.... and may not be in town.

I have nothing against howard lake or chisholm. I am simply worried that Tubby could be leaving.

What other smart ass comment did I make. I have 12 posts now in the new dawn dude.

I had a dream last night that Bill Self came to Gopherlady and told her that Tom Izzo was leaving Lupi for her and coming to Minnesota. Tubby was replacing McHale, and McHale leaked this info when he met Bob Dylan in Hibbing for coffee. Flip finds himself inexplicably in Virginia and realizes he has a final in Calculus that he hasn't studied for, and is then chased down the hall by a mob of UK fans who force him to sign a contract.
Then I woke up, but it makes sense to me.

You did NOT just post this, LOLOLOLOL!!!

It was funny enough when you emailed me about your dream, I had no idea you posted it!

Just to Clear things up...

Just to clear things up not all of us UVA fans are delusional and if your getting information from certain outlets addressed here then your digging into what most UVA fans call the loony bin. However, to say the Virginia job isn't attractive or that it is a total impossibility that Tubby would come to UVA is crazy in today's sports world. Not to mention UVA is a hell of a lot more attractive than North Western.

Do I think Tubby will come to UVA? I think it is a possibility though personally I would rather have Sean Miller or Anthony Grant no disrespect to Minnesota or Tubby. I could live with Tubby as our coach but think it would be a better investment to get a young and up coming coach. Plus it would suck for any team in the NCAA to lose a coach that has helped them so much so soon. So on another personal note I hope you guys keep him 'cause I don't want to get the bad mojo from a "Tubby abandons Minnesota" deal. Plus it may be worth mentioning before our last coach Tubby wanted to come to UVA but wanted 3 mil a year and UVA's President/Boosters wouldn't go for it as they only wanted to shell out 1 mil a year. Hopefully our AD will be allowed to make his choice this time and the President will let him do his job.

Now to go back to Virginia being an attractive job I'll just post what my good friend DonGoUVA posted on another Gopher board. I think it makes a valid and respectable point. Other than that I wish you guys the best in the future you certainly have a promising squad of players that play with a lot of heart.

DonGoUVA said:

How quickly you guys forget your 9-22 season before Tubby arrived. Why would Tubby or "anyone" come to Minnesota to coach a 9-22 team? Tubby did!

The 8 years before Tubby, Minnesota had 4 losing records and lost 20 more games than UVA....nothing for either team to boast about. UVA had 2 losing seasons in that 8 years.

ACC is the ACC though.

ACC/Big Ten challenge.....The ACC leads the series 62-35. UVA is 5-4 and Minnesota is 4-6 overall in the challenges.

UVA has one of the finest and most up to date basketball facilities in the country with the new John Paul Jones Arena or haven't you heard?

When could go back and compare histories for 25 years (1974-1999), Terry Holland with a 326-173 UVA record, add Jeff Jones 474-277 total won-lost record over that span, 2 final 4's and a number of sweet 16's and 4 Elite 8'S. I believe only 4 losing seasons thru Holland/Jones Era.

I'm not knocking Minnesota......but before you disparge a school, don't look at just the last 2 years.

Remember before "Tubby" (9-22) and we were (10-18) which was our worst record in over 30 years. 10-18 is only slightly better than 9-22 but that was with the 4th or 5th best Strength of Schedule (SOS) in the country.

We also have "great fans", reasonable expectations, a beautiful state of the art basketball facility that includes everything....practice facilities (plural) and much more. With the right coach, our players will be very competitive next season.

And "Tubby" can recruit as well or better here. UVA is a good school, Minnesota is a good school.

I'm not saying he'll be our coach, but it is reasonable for us to want him as it is for you to want to keep him.

Just have your facts straight before you knock another school and by the way, we weren't last in the ACC, even with our worst season in over 30 years.

Sorry, I got up on my "soapbox", but UVA is a great school and Minnesota "ain't" so bad either.

And Tubby is a great coach!!!

Note: Not all this was directed towards this board but since everyone seems to be in awe of Tubby possibly considering UVA I found the facts interesting.

Just to clear things up not all of us UVA fans are delusional and if your getting information from certain outlets addressed here then your digging into what most UVA fans call the loony bin. However, to say the Virginia job isn't attractive or that it is a total impossibility that Tubby would come to UVA is crazy in today's sports world. Not to mention UVA is a hell of a lot more attractive than North Western.

Do I think Tubby will come to UVA? I think it is a possibility though personally I would rather have Sean Miller or Anthony Grant no disrespect to Minnesota or Tubby. I could live with Tubby as our coach but think it would be a better investment to get a young and up coming coach. Plus it would suck for any team in the NCAA to lose a coach that has helped them so much so soon. So on another personal note I hope you guys keep him 'cause I don't want to get the bad mojo from a "Tubby abandons Minnesota" deal. Plus it may be worth mentioning before our last coach Tubby wanted to come to UVA but wanted 3 mil a year and UVA's President/Boosters wouldn't go for it as they only wanted to shell out 1 mil a year. Hopefully our AD will be allowed to make his choice this time and the President will let him do his job.

Now to go back to Virginia being an attractive job I'll just post what my good friend DonGoUVA posted on another Gopher board. I think it makes a valid and respectable point. Other than that I wish you guys the best in the future you certainly have a promising squad of players that play with a lot of heart.

DonGoUVA said:

How quickly you guys forget your 9-22 season before Tubby arrived. Why would Tubby or "anyone" come to Minnesota to coach a 9-22 team? Tubby did!

The 8 years before Tubby, Minnesota had 4 losing records and lost 20 more games than UVA....nothing for either team to boast about. UVA had 2 losing seasons in that 8 years.

ACC is the ACC though.

ACC/Big Ten challenge.....The ACC leads the series 62-35. UVA is 5-4 and Minnesota is 4-6 overall in the challenges.

UVA has one of the finest and most up to date basketball facilities in the country with the new John Paul Jones Arena or haven't you heard?

When could go back and compare histories for 25 years (1974-1999), Terry Holland with a 326-173 UVA record, add Jeff Jones 474-277 total won-lost record over that span, 2 final 4's and a number of sweet 16's and 4 Elite 8'S. I believe only 4 losing seasons thru Holland/Jones Era.

I'm not knocking Minnesota......but before you disparge a school, don't look at just the last 2 years.

Remember before "Tubby" (9-22) and we were (10-18) which was our worst record in over 30 years. 10-18 is only slightly better than 9-22 but that was with the 4th or 5th best Strength of Schedule (SOS) in the country.

We also have "great fans", reasonable expectations, a beautiful state of the art basketball facility that includes everything....practice facilities (plural) and much more. With the right coach, our players will be very competitive next season.

And "Tubby" can recruit as well or better here. UVA is a good school, Minnesota is a good school.

I'm not saying he'll be our coach, but it is reasonable for us to want him as it is for you to want to keep him.

Just have your facts straight before you knock another school and by the way, we weren't last in the ACC, even with our worst season in over 30 years.

Sorry, I got up on my "soapbox", but UVA is a great school and Minnesota "ain't" so bad either.

Note: Not all this was directed towards this board but since everyone seems to be in awe of Tubby possibly considering UVA I found the facts interesting.

Good post but here is what you are missing. Tubby came to MN to escape the pressure of high profile program. Signing a huge contract to coach at VA would bring him right back to what he left. Maybe not as bad, but certainly more pressure than MN. The other thing you are forgetting is that Tubby would be abandoning all of the work he has put in the last two seasons and all of his recruiting success for the future. Does he want to start over again? At some point he wants to see the fruits of his labor. Finally, Tubby is not Petrino. I believe the man when he says something. The fact the VA fans do not believe him, bothers me.

Dameon2k

Dameon2K:

Not an unreasonable post. Lets be honest, we dont want to lose Tubby. We dont like being thought of as some poor sister. I think UV has similar feelings. Some of the posts at the "sabre" are laughable, as you could expect at any message board. I think those are the ones that are inspiring the retalitory jabs.

Good luck getting a coach, as long as it isnt Tubby.

Kentucky fans were trying to kick Tubby out of the door; Minnesota fans love Tubby and want to see Maturi (our AD) do whatever it takes to keep him. That is another huge distinction between when he left Kentucky, and any current job opportunities.

To Stan the Poster:

Your are an idiot. Please STFU and quit posting this kind of crap.

Shut your PC down and go walk on some unsafe ice.

Can you tell I am sick and tired of people posting shat like this?

From a career perspective it does not seem to me that UVA would be a great choice for Tubby at this point in his life. He would be starting from scratch as he did in Minnesota two years ago and trying to build on that. If Minnesota is any indication of how long it takes he would be three to four years out on having a competitive team. With that said his career may be taking a back seat to considerations like his wife wanting to move back to Virginia. If family consideration takes precedence I think there is the possibility that he could take the job. If coaching basketball is his top consideration I doubt he takes the job.

Good post but here is what you are missing. Tubby came to MN to escape the pressure of high profile program. Signing a huge contract to coach at VA would bring him right back to what he left. Maybe not as bad, but certainly more pressure than MN. The other thing you are forgetting is that Tubby would be abandoning all of the work he has put in the last two seasons and all of his recruiting success for the future. Does he want to start over again? At some point he wants to see the fruits of his labor. Finally, Tubby is not Petrino. I believe the man when he says something. The fact the VA fans do not believe him, bothers me.

Tubby came to Minnesota for a chance to BUILD (or rebuild, if U prefer) a high profile program. He wants to be on top, that's 4 sure.

You're gonna enjoy 2010-11-12 at The U. 25 W to 30 W and playing late in March or even April.

Dameon2k, thanks for stopping by. It's always nice to get the perspective of a different fan base. I do have to laugh at this comment: "I could live with Tubby as our coach" - you mean you could "live with" a coach who has won 20 games 16 years in a row? Who will likely be a HOFer? Who has been to the Tourney 15 of the last 16 years?! And who can walk into any HS/AAU gym in the nation and is instantly recognizable by everyone?! If you proclaim yourself to be the rational set of the UVa fans, yet say merely that you could "live with" Tubby fricking Smith, well, I'd hate to see what the irrational fan set is like!

Good luck on the search - college coaching searches are always a wild wide and often don't lead to the type of outcome most expect. Two years ago when we had our search we barely said Tubby's name as it was beyond a pipe dream, let alone saying we could "live with" him, but alas, he's ours!

Go Gophers!!

Beyond everything else, here's the one reason why I'm not buying a move.

I can't get by the phone call to Sid and Dave last week. There was no reason for Tubby to call, unannounced, and just say he was happy here, and that they'd be here a long time. Any coach that is thinking about leaving would probably try and stay as far away from doing that as possible.

In my opinion, that's where the story should have ended; but it did not. Call that theory baseless...but it's no less substantive than anything the Virginia people have got. It's all "hopes" and "heards", but still no sources saying ANYTHING about what Tubby's side has to say about it.

Tubby came to Minnesota for a chance to BUILD (or rebuild, if U prefer) a high profile program. He wants to be on top, that's 4 sure.

You're gonna enjoy 2010-11-12 at The U. 25 W to 30 W and playing late in March or even April.

FOT, I know you don't think that he is going to, but in a hypothetical situation where Tubby did make the jump to Virginia, what would you think?

Sources ??? !!!!

Beyond everything else, here's the one reason why I'm not buying a move.

I can't get by the phone call to Sid and Dave last week. There was no reason for Tubby to call, unannounced, and just say he was happy here, and that they'd be here a long time. Any coach that is thinking about leaving would probably try and stay as far away from doing that as possible.

In my opinion, that's where the story should have ended; but it did not. Call that theory baseless...but it's no less substantive than anything the Virginia people have got. It's all "hopes" and "heards", but still no sources saying ANYTHING about what Tubby's side has to say about it.

Sources ??? !!! We dont need no stinkin' sources !!!

Some poster in his jammies, in his parents basement posted it on the dang intertubes !!! Not only that but like sentiments were posted on OTHER Rivals boards by other mysterious jammie-adorned dweebs. What more do we need, a Pulitzer Prize winning reporter, on like, an actual newspaper?

We is doomed !

Need I remind you of the Martian monkees atop Williams Arena ?

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showpost.php?p=50045&postcount=14

:)

DonGoUVA said:

ACC is the ACC though.

I agree that this is a reasonable post as well (though the "ain't" comment was a little underhanded." And I see your point about having a young up and coming coach for UVA whereas given the past dozen + years at MN dictated Tubby being the perfect coach to bring back MN to the top (minus recruiting irregularities that is). Part of the MN argument is that Tubby is perfect for MN at this time. He brings mature integrity to the school and the UofM needs more then a couple more years of his leadership to fully right the ship.

Also, Tubby is about half way there in bringing MN to national power status. He has a top 10 recruiting class coming in and a more seasoned group of players as well.

Along with that, there is no reason not to believe that Tubby and his wife are genuinely happy at MN.

Oh, and one more thing, contrary to your position the UVA is a great school compared to MN, which "ain't" bad, the UofM is no doormat to UVA. UVA may have had some glory years that they are trying to resurrect, but so does the U of M. Right now, the UofM is farther along then you at bringing them back with obvious indicators it is on the right track to do so. Tubby is the architect of that return and I just don't see him leaving before the job is finished, especially with the players coming in.

alltimetwinsfan

Nope, I moved my fantasy baseball draft up to Noon tomorrow to accommodate. Remember?

;)

In all the excitement of "the end of times", I forgot you adjusted your fantasy draft. Good move.

Pick your team wisely. If my sources are correct, it could be your fantasy roster for all eternity.

In all the excitement of "the end of times", I forgot you adjusted your fantasy draft. Good move.

Pick your team wisely. If my sources are correct, it could be your fantasy roster for all eternity.

This is a good point...I will be drafting Jamie Moyer in the first round, seeing that he seems to be made of teflon and should hold up for eternity.

On the other hand, if I get stuck with Ben flippin' Sheets again....

The Latest from the Sabre

Here is the latest news flash from the Sabre:

Subject: Re: If it's Tubby, & the presser is Monday, logic dictates that TS would inform
Posted by: Captain Hoo on Sat Mar 28 2009 5:39:14 PM
The current rumor is that we almost had things wrapped yesterday and
had a contractual hang up last night. Our team is trying like hell to
hammer the two details out by tomorrow AM.
It's Tubby and the farm is on the table.

We need a few emails to Casteen that a Tubby hire makes sense.

Here is the link: http://www.thesabre.com/message_board/basketball/2009/March/28/1104934.php

The author is either delusional or just writing junk to yank the chain of the sabre-folk. This was almost worthy of a new thread.

Either way this guy gets this from me: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I wouldn't be surprised if he left, besides his stint at Kentucky, Tubby has been all over the place.

So hire Flip, and you have a twenty year solution. Most of the recruits will stick around and we will have plenty of talent to work with next season.

I'd rather have a coach who is a lifer, than a rolling stone.

I don't disagree with your implication the Flip would be a comparable coach to Tubby in terms of ability. But I wouldn't call Tubby a rolling stone. Most coaches have been to multiple stops, just like him.

Anyway, I had a thought a while ago and wanted some opinions. What's wrong with Billy G as coach of UVA? I don't think he's a bad coach, I'd actually suspect he's above average both as a coach and recruiter. He may not be able to handle the media all that well, but that's less of a factor at UVA.

Maybe they should back off of Tubby, and move onto names like Billy G.

Top Bottom