Utah transfer Both Gach commits to the Gophers

Freshman redshirts are mostly a thing of the past IMO. Even if a guy plays a 5th year, it will likely be somewhere else.
Not everywhere they are not. Does not matter how long they are there if they could not help the team or themselves in a wasted first year of little playing time. Players decision and some pick it.

would not surprised if Gabe comes off the bench .... if Ihnen has a nice off season and if Curry is good to go then the Gabe vs Ihnen ....starting and or finishing is in play

If Ihnen makes the jump we all think he’s capable of I think he gets some starts over Johnson.
I hope Johnson plays well enough where they can't get him outta the lineup. Seems like his main reason for coming here was to get him on an NBA track. I think it would hurt his confidence if Ihnen did make the jump over him in the starting lineup. I'd continue to let Johnson start and have Ihnen finish the games unless it really gets out of hand and the disparity is that wide. I really like that frontcourt 3 of Johnson, Ihnen, Robbins. Curry and Omersa mixed in.

I know in a perfect world we don't worry about what these players think, we just make the moves with the lineup, but I think managing emotions of these kids is part of the job and ultimately for the betterment of the team, especially when you have a kid that's just transferring in for 1 year and we don't have that rapport developed with him that might make a move to the bench easier to manage with him.

This is all dependent on the type of kid he his too. If he's a kid that's just gonna get after it no matter if he's starting or the 9th man, we don't have to worry about it.

This is awesome news, amidst a time where gopher bball fans needed some good news. Actually very excited for the season (provided Carr comes back, which I think he will).

If Robbins can't play, we have a number of other threats to score which will not require force feeding freeman on offense. If Freeman is playing extended minutes this year, we should hope it is due to outstanding rim protection and rebounding.
If Robbins can't go, I'd expect Johnson to start at the 5 with Ihnen at the 4. Ihnen would get the bulk of the minutes increase Freeman/Curry/Omersa would get similar minutes if Robbins is eligible IMO.

If Robbins can't go, I'd expect Johnson to start at the 5 with Ihnen at the 4. Ihnen would get the bulk of the minutes increase Freeman/Curry/Omersa would get similar minutes if Robbins is eligible IMO.
That would give us the best players on the court for sure, but we would be undersized at center which doesn't always play well in the B1G. Against smaller lineups I would certainly hope they would play that rotation.

Yeah you can lock in Gabe. I don't think it's too soon to say you can probably lock in Carr, Gabe, Gach, Johnson and Robbins as your Day 1 starters pending waivers and an NBA withdrawal.
Ihnen, Tre, Mash, and Jarvis off the bench. 4 others are WCs.
Would love to see Curry give us a legit 10 players getting at least 5-10mins.

Maybe Freeman makes a quantum leap. Maybe Curry returns to form and stays healthy.

Would love to see Curry give us a legit 10 players getting at least 5-10mins.
Yeah I'd like to see that too. No doubt a possibility. I'm just thinking you'll find somethin in at least 1 of those 3.

What is the “foundation”? Defense appears to be good if the players are self motivated to do it ...

Offense is basically go one-on-one (or more) and pass sometimes ... assists by passing into the post are high because by nature, post moves involve very little dribbling.

Ball movement really hasn’t been good / is below average.

Results year over year make sense through the lense of reality ... win some games lose some games, but rarely win the close games because execution is critical down the stretch on both ends of the court.

Heroics win a game or two per year. Lack of ability to execute looses 4-5 games a year.

Roster with greater talent under performs compared to others in the league ... same song different season.
Motivation is a huge part of defense, but so is intelligence. It's funny when people know where they're supposed to be and where they're supposed to be there how motivated they can become defensively. Obviously coaching and repetition have a huge part to play in making that a habit.

Great post but he is our coach we have right now. I cut my donations after bad years and increase it after great ones but i support him because he is our coach. I am not one of those that thinks he can win a national title. Win a conference title and i will reconsider. Hell finish 3rd or better once and ahead of UW just once ! He has done neither of those in 7 years.
Not thinking he can win a natty infers a fixed mindset in my ooinion. Anyone can grow and improve, it's all a matter of how much can he grow and improve compared to his peers. Do I think he can? Yes. Do I think he will? To me, that's a different question.

Will be very interesting and trying to keep so many happy in their role. Chemistry is such a huge part of a team.
Winning plays a big part in chemistry too. I bet if we 2-plattoned evenly and won a championship there wouldn't be much complaining.

Not thinking he can win a natty infers a fixed mindset in my ooinion. Anyone can grow and improve, it's all a matter of how much can he grow and improve compared to his peers. Do I think he can? Yes. Do I think he will? To me, that's a different question.
Not fixed at all or i would be screaming for a firing. No one in history had a 7 year start like this and became great. Great is revealed early, not a national title but conference titles come soon after high finishes and a staple of great defense. That has never been exhibited here.

Just saying. Not us specifically, any team. It's really hard to bitch about playing time when you're 28-3. Not to say it can't or doesn't happen though.
Generally 28-3 teams get along great, hardly any were platooned. Researching minutes of champions is easy. The IF was my referencing the winning a championship. Anyone can platoon, that part is simple. It is the winning part that is hard.

Not fixed at all or i would be screaming for a firing. No one in history had a 7 year start like this and became great. Great is revealed early, not a national title but conference titles come soon after high finishes and a staple of great defense. That has never been exhibited here.
So Pitino can't? Sounds like textbook fixed mindset to me, but let me contact Carol Dweck just to be sure.

Can someone explain why I should be excited? I don't see the reason for the hype.

Maybe Freeman makes a quantum leap. Maybe Curry returns to form and stays healthy.
I dont get why people are so down on Freeman. He was a freshman last year playing behind the 1st or 2nd best center in big 10. When he played garbage time I didnt see anything that says he is horrible. I mean I didnt see a star in the making but I think he will suffice. With the players on this team he will not be asked to be the go to guy. I mean can he be any worse that eliason or konate?

Last edited:

I dont get why people are so down on Freeman. He was a freshman last year playing behind the 1st or 2nd best center in big 10. When he played garbage time I didnt see anything that says he is horrible. I mean I didnt see a star in the making but I think he will suffice. With the players on this team he will not be asked to be the go to guy. I mean can he be any worse that eliason or konate?

He also appeared to have a surprisingly soft touch from the FT line for a big

Top Bottom