Utah transfer Both Gach commits to the Gophers

I'm not going to count his first year at Nebraska or his lousy conference season during his first year at Iowa State. I think one of his ISU teams would have been at least final 8 had George Niang not gotten hurt early in the tournament. They still beat North Carolina without him and went to the final 16.
I respect your take for you. I just do not do if's , buts, could haves. To get to the sweet 16 you win twice. He has done more than what we have done here.

I agree that he would make the most sense... Unless Mutaf shoots lights out, he might be another good candidate. Really wish Freeman had used his last year.
I'll keep beating this drum, but a redshirt only pays off if the player stays for a fifth year and is productive enough that he couldn't be replaced by a better recruit. As to Mutaf, he gave serious thought to signing a pro contract this year in Turkey. I believe there's close to zero chance that he will still be at the U of M five years from now. Thus, there's no reason to redshirt him.

I'll keep beating this drum, but a redshirt only pays off if the player stays for a fifth year and is productive enough that he couldn't be replaced by a better recruit. As to Mutaf, he gave serious thought to signing a pro contract this year in Turkey. I believe there's close to zero chance that he will still be at the U of M five years from now. Thus, there's no reason to redshirt him.
Go ahead. Hunter redshirted as a first year at UVA , played 2, won the ACC, National defensive player of the year, National Title, 4th overall pick in the NBA. Everyone won. He was not ready to be in the grind of that defense,m that precision , those academics, that weight training as a true frosh and saw the benefit to himself, to the team and to the program. It was not the first time nor the last that they redshirt their largest upside player.

Tremendous get. Gach can hoop and I imagine he's been working his ass off this summer. Pitino's done a hell of a job recruiting this Spring and this is potentially the best class he has put together in his tenure here. All the transfers we landed were highly-sought-after prospects - we just need the NCAA to not screw us for once and Carr to come back for one more year.

Not holding my breath on USAF commenting in this thread... any positive news for this team is toxic to him.

Still pondering the possibility of Carr not returning.

NCAA saying, "Minnesota, no waivers for you!"

And Curry blowing out his septum on the first day of practice.

Not that I'm used to disappointment or anything.
Shut your face! jk. I agree, I looked at the starting 5 and one still has his name in the draft and two are not currently eligible. Yikes, but trying to stay positive.

What is the “foundation”? Defense appears to be good if the players are self motivated to do it ...

Offense is basically go one-on-one (or more) and pass sometimes ... assists by passing into the post are high because by nature, post moves involve very little dribbling.

Ball movement really hasn’t been good / is below average.

Results year over year make sense through the lense of reality ... win some games lose some games, but rarely win the close games because execution is critical down the stretch on both ends of the court.

Heroics win a game or two per year. Lack of ability to execute looses 4-5 games a year.

Roster with greater talent under performs compared to others in the league ... same song different season.

foundation is having an upperclassmen heavy team that has figured out how to win by going through the grind 3-4 years together. A team that has figured out who to rely on in late game situations, and how to avoid mistakes in critical moments. A group of individuals that doesn’t get lost on defense and knows how to take advantage of an offensive system because it’s second nature. Just my opinion, but those are all things that come together over time. Team continuity isn’t built in a single offseason.

Agree with a lot of your observations above. With this depth, redshirting would allow Pitino to start maximize talent before a guy burns his scholarship. The next step is getting that guy to actually stick it out for a full tenure here, but Pitino seems to have the depth to play the long game with some solid pieces this year.

I agree on mutaf, perhaps, as an international guy with professional options.

Looking at it through the “paying off lense”, you have to consider what you lose by not playing them as a true freshman to complete that thought process.

Was Freeman’s time best spent mentally preparing for every game, only to play 3 mpg on only 8 appearances? What did advantage did the gophers gain by ever putting him on the floor For those ~24 minutes? Just seems to me that it would be worth the wager that a guy like Freeman sticks it out 5 years. If he graduates and leaves so be it, since he only got throwaway time as a freshman anyways.

Agree with you 100%. Play him this year, if he can help us!

Any "examples" about Virginia, are borderline trolling. Boy that shit gets old.

per Marcus:

A transfer from Utah, Gach committed to his home state Gophers over Auburn, Creighton, Iowa State and Maryland. A 6-foot-7 junior guard and potential starter, he is the final piece to what could be a much-improved basketball team for Richard Pitino next season.

“I had a lot of greats options,” Gach told the Star Tribune on Monday night. “Being back home, getting closer to family during these bad times and having the opportunity to play for the home state is a blessing.”

A month after declaring for the NBA draft in April, Gach decided he would transfer if he returned to school. The Gophers are the closest to home. So, that gives Gach a better chance to receive an NCAA waiver to avoid sitting out the 2020-21 season.

“[But] it means a lot to me to come home and play so family and friends can get to see me in person and not just on TV,” Gach said.

“I don’t think we’ve ever had a kid go from baseline to baseline faster than what Both could do with the basketball,” Austin coach Kris Fadness said. “He could get a defensive rebound and be at the rim in three dribbles on the other end. Just a dynamic athlete and explosive in the open court.”

Gach left the state with dreams of playing in the NBA. And now he returns with those same aspirations.

“Obviously, getting to the NBA is the goal,” said Gach’s older brother Gach Gach. “[Finding] a place that can help him develop into the player he wants to be.”

Go Gophers!!

This gets me excited for Gopher basketball. I like the kid a lot. I'm as quick to bash the Strib as anyone, but Chip Scoggins did a really interesting article about Austin basketball and the city's transformation into a pretty diverse community. Really good read for those who never saw it.

Ihnen will take a huge step. Play small with him over Robbins or big with him over Gabe. That big lineup is formidable. Gabe/Tre/Mashburn/Mitchell/Omersa off bench

There is next to zero chance of Gabe not being a starter

Go ahead. Hunter redshirted as a first year at UVA , played 2, won the ACC, National defensive player of the year, National Title, 4th overall pick in the NBA. Everyone won. He was not ready to be in the grind of that defense,m that precision , those academics, that weight training as a true frosh and saw the benefit to himself, to the team and to the program. It was not the first time nor the last that they redshirt their largest upside player.
I think you're confusing cause and effect. You're assuming all those good things in Hunter's third year happened because he redshirted. There's no evidence of that, and any claim otherwise is pure speculation. In Hunter's redshirt year, Virginia was a fifth seed and lost in the second round of the NCAA tournament. Maybe if he'd given them a solid 6-8 minutes off the bench, that team could have been a third or fourth seed and advanced further.

And how would playing that year have negatively affected his next two years? I think it's absurd to think he would have played worse those two years because he played his first year. Hunter wasn't some raw player who was just learning the game. He was a 4-star recruit ranked #72 in the country. Those are players who should be playing right away.

Bottom line: Virginia lost a year of contributions from Hunter.

As far as redshirting the player with the largest upside? Well, you know who hasn't been redshirting as freshmen in recent years in college basketball? Guys with large upside like Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett, Cam Reddish, Darius Garland, Coby White, Tyler Herro...

There is next to zero chance of Gabe not being a starter
Yeah you can lock in Gabe. I don't think it's too soon to say you can probably lock in Carr, Gabe, Gach, Johnson and Robbins as your Day 1 starters pending waivers and an NBA withdrawal.
Ihnen, Tre, Mash, and Jarvis off the bench. 4 others are WCs.

I wholeheartedly agree with Built that conference titles matter (more so regular season than Big 10 tourney, but both are nice), but that does not preclude me from getting a major hoot out of the fact Michael Hurt, Amir Coffey, and Daniel Oturu have more NCAA Tournament wins than Brad Davison and Nate Reuvers.

Yeah you can lock in Gabe. I don't think it's too soon to say you can probably lock in Carr, Gabe, Gach, Johnson and Robbins as your Day 1 starters pending waivers and an NBA withdrawal.
Ihnen, Tre, Mash, and Jarvis off the bench. 4 others are WCs.
If Ihnen makes the jump we all think he’s capable of I think he gets some starts over Johnson.

Disclaimer - no one can predict what the NCAA waiver committee will do.

But, having said that, I would expect that Gach has the best chance of getting a waiver, based on the "moving home" (or close-to-home) factor.

Robbins is the wild card. He is not moving home, so the waiver hinges on the whole 'playing for my uncle' gambit.

but, Robbins is also the guy they need the most. Without Robbins, your choices are go small, force-feed Freeman as many minutes as he can handle, or pray that Curry's leg stays attached.

Disclaimer - no one can predict what the NCAA waiver committee will do.

But, having said that, I would expect that Gach has the best chance of getting a waiver, based on the "moving home" (or close-to-home) factor.

Robbins is the wild card. He is not moving home, so the waiver hinges on the whole 'playing for my uncle' gambit.

but, Robbins is also the guy they need the most. Without Robbins, your choices are go small, force-feed Freeman as many minutes as he can handle, or pray that Curry's leg stays attached.
If Robbins can't play, we have a number of other threats to score which will not require force feeding freeman on offense. If Freeman is playing extended minutes this year, we should hope it is due to outstanding rim protection and rebounding.

Freshman redshirts are mostly a thing of the past IMO. Even if a guy plays a 5th year, it will likely be somewhere else.

Still pondering the possibility of Carr not returning.

NCAA saying, "Minnesota, no waivers for you!"

And Curry blowing out his septum on the first day of practice.

Not that I'm used to disappointment or anything.
I mean we all think it but no need to spell it out like that.

I think you're confusing cause and effect. You're assuming all those good things in Hunter's third year happened because he redshirted. There's no evidence of that, and any claim otherwise is pure speculation. In Hunter's redshirt year, Virginia was a fifth seed and lost in the second round of the NCAA tournament. Maybe if he'd given them a solid 6-8 minutes off the bench, that team could have been a third or fourth seed and advanced further.

And how would playing that year have negatively affected his next two years? I think it's absurd to think he would have played worse those two years because he played his first year. Hunter wasn't some raw player who was just learning the game. He was a 4-star recruit ranked #72 in the country. Those are players who should be playing right away.

Bottom line: Virginia lost a year of contributions from Hunter.

As far as redshirting the player with the largest upside? Well, you know who hasn't been redshirting as freshmen in recent years in college basketball? Guys with large upside like Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett, Cam Reddish, Darius Garland, Coby White, Tyler Herro...
Do not confuse the players with the highest upside at Duke with Bennett and his players deciding on who best to redshirt. They are not my words, Hunter agreed with the well conceived plan to skip 5 minutes of playing time for far greater gains in strength, the better plan for defensive time stopping starters, more individual work. Way more went into it than you think. At great programs the 72nd ranked player does not always play right away. He was ranked 72nd way after his UVA offer and had missed his junior year to injury and had zero chance to pull meaningful minutes to himself not to me. They have had guys ranked higher who were not ready and had Clark ranked in the 300's and Salt unranked who started. UW does it, Villanova does it., Those coaches know they will get better long term results and they know better than you and have the results to do it. They actually recruit to it. They have a wonderful transfer who is asking for it !

You must not understand Built's standard of excellence at this point. Conference title/Final 4 or the season was a disappointment.
Well i do not confuse what Hoiberg did get done with his approach to what Pitino has done here. Each coach stands on their own record. Fans can decide for themselves what is poor, good or great. I do think each season is different and that Fred had one really good year, another good year and no great years.

I wholeheartedly agree with Built that conference titles matter (more so regular season than Big 10 tourney, but both are nice), but that does not preclude me from getting a major hoot out of the fact Michael Hurt, Amir Coffey, and Daniel Oturu have more NCAA Tournament wins than Brad Davison and Nate Reuvers.
I like that our guys have a tourney victory but i am very disappointed that our guys have losing conference records and no titles of any kind. Worse, not even close.

Top Bottom