Utah transfer Both Gach commits to the Gophers

Zero regular season titles, the true grind. Not those little tourneys where you only play 3 teams to win a conference tourney title. Where is his final 4 !
What? Then why do you harp about Final Four appearances? Let me put that particular accomplishment into your above statement:

"Not those little tourneys where you only play [four] teams to [get to the Final Four]. Not good enough for me."

You're not even consistent from one sentence to the next.

I’m probably in the minority on this opinion but given the way Ihnen finished last season I believe he could start over Gach.
I like Ihnen, but I don't see him starting over a guy who averaged double digits in the Pac 12. Maybe at the 4 if we want to be small. I suspect he comes off the bench. Imagine having a bench that averages more than 4 points per game total?

I’m probably in the minority on this opinion but given the way Ihnen finished last season I believe he could start over Gach.
I think Gach starts. But definitely there will be competition at multiple spots. Not outside of the realm to think ihnen could start.

Really, really solid piece. I'd expect this to be the starting lineup:

PG: Carr
SG: Gabe
SF: Gach
PF: Johnson
C: Robbins
Ihnen will take a huge step. Play small with him over Robbins or big with him over Gabe. That big lineup is formidable. Gabe/Tre/Mashburn/Mitchell/Omersa off bench

Ihnen will take a huge step. Play small with him over Robbins or big with him over Gabe. That big lineup is formidable. Gabe/Tre/Mashburn/Mitchell/Omersa off bench
That “big line-up” would score 75 and lose by 20.

In his own words:

Go Gophers!!
He's hired a lawyer to help get approval of the transfer, wonder if the lawyer helped put this announcement together -- perfect image and wording to help get NCAA approval.

Careful, your not suppose to pretend that defense is important. That is my greatest hope. The extra playable depth allows him to play the best 7 defenders period. If your not playing great defense you do not play.

Its why i cant take iowa serious

Holy, bleeping strobe effect; that video was hard to watch.

Love your avatar and it has inspired me to search for a similar one for kansas. Unfortunately no luck. Thought maybe something like Kriminals Uboveall would work but that is probably both harsh and lame. At any rate, if you decide to move on to something different, I declare first dibs on your avatar :).

Last edited:

Its why i cant take iowa serious
There is truth to that. With a 97th ranked defense you will not survive any of your off shooting nights. Look at UVA, they lose 3 early departures to the NBA off the National Title team and struggle with one of the worst power 6 offenses. Something like 234. That is atrocious . But with a historically great defense they go 15-5 in the ACC and 23-7 overall. No team in history had a defense ranked that poorly and achieved anywhere close to that. The roster we have is equipped to be a great defensive team with such a variety of length in combination.

If Robbins and Gach get waivers, I wonder if we see any redshirts. If Curry stats healthy, there’s not a lot left for Mitchell, omersa, and Freeman to share.

If Robbins and Gach get waivers, I wonder if we see any redshirts. If Curry stats healthy, there’s not a lot left for Mitchell, omersa, and Freeman to share.
It would be a terrible mistake to not make use of the redshirt.

It would be a terrible mistake to not make use of the redshirt.
Agreed. This roster is begging for 1-2. Not sure I want Pitino to be here long enough to see it play out, but this could be the season that a foundation is finally put in place.

Mitchell seems like the most likely candidate if someone does redshirt

Agreed. This roster is begging for 1-2. Not sure I want Pitino to be here long enough to see it play out, but this could be the season that a foundation is finally put in place.
I am all in on him being here if we are top 3-4 in the conference and a top 3 conference defense. Then i will know he can actually win something.

Mitchell seems like the most likely candidate if someone does redshirt
I agree that he would make the most sense... Unless Mutaf shoots lights out, he might be another good candidate. Really wish Freeman had used his last year.

What is the “foundation”? Defense appears to be good if the players are self motivated to do it ...

Offense is basically go one-on-one (or more) and pass sometimes ... assists by passing into the post are high because by nature, post moves involve very little dribbling.

Ball movement really hasn’t been good / is below average.

Results year over year make sense through the lense of reality ... win some games lose some games, but rarely win the close games because execution is critical down the stretch on both ends of the court.

Heroics win a game or two per year. Lack of ability to execute looses 4-5 games a year.

Roster with greater talent under performs compared to others in the league ... same song different season.

What is the “foundation”? Defense appears to be good if the players are self motivated to do it ...

Offense is basically go one-on-one (or more) and pass sometimes ... assists by passing into the post are high because by nature, post moves involve very little dribbling.

Ball movement really hasn’t been good / is below average.

Results year over year make sense through the lense of reality ... win some games lose some games, but rarely win the close games because execution is critical down the stretch on both ends of the court.

Heroics win a game or two per year. Lack of ability to execute looses 4-5 games a year.

Roster with greater talent under performs compared to others in the league ... same song different season.
Great post but he is our coach we have right now. I cut my donations after bad years and increase it after great ones but i support him because he is our coach. I am not one of those that thinks he can win a national title. Win a conference title and i will reconsider. Hell finish 3rd or better once and ahead of UW just once ! He has done neither of those in 7 years.

Where is his final 4 ! 51-57 as a D1 head coach in conference.

I'm not going to count his first year at Nebraska or his lousy conference season during his first year at Iowa State. I think one of his ISU teams would have been at least final 8 had George Niang not gotten hurt early in the tournament. They still beat North Carolina without him and went to the final 16.

With Gach our roster is now complete. How many games do we win?

We focus too much on individual potential. We don’t look at roles ... on both ends of the court.

Instead we compare players and rosters without any recognition it’s a team. How players fit together. How 1 + 1 = 3 ... that’s what wins games.

I worry when a roster is made up of guys thinking “I’m going to prove I’m an NBA guy“ this year and the team has never played together ... especially when there is only one ball.

Top Bottom