USC and UCLA Planning to join BIG TEN.

Well, my dream of the Gophs reaching the Rose Bowl game someday in my lifetime just died.

Notre dame,
Stanford
Oregon
Washington

Colorado
Arizona state

Florida state
Georgia tech
Clemson
Virginia
North Carolina
Boston college

That’s a huge TV conteacr

Well, my dream of the Gophs reaching the Rose Bowl game someday in my lifetime just died.

Maybe? I think NIL is much more harmful to the Gophers reaching the Rose Bowl Game than adding USC and UCLA, or even a few more schools.

A lot depends on the structure of the new conference...a small division setup with The Quadrangle and maybe another non-scary team or two like Illinois, Northwestern, Colorado, Iowa State, or Kansas might get Minnesota to a 4 team tournament fairly often. That could be an easier path than trying to go undefeated in a huge crab pile like 14 teams, no divisions, and 2-3 protected games with upper tier teams every year.

Notre dame,
Stanford
Oregon
Washington

I think this is where the B1G ultimate looks to go with Notre Dame, Oregon and Washington.

I would guess Stanford, UNC or GA Tech being the 4th school.

Maybe? I think NIL is much more harmful to the Gophers reaching the Rose Bowl Game than adding USC and UCLA, or even a few more schools.

A lot depends on the structure of the new conference...a small division setup with The Quadrangle and maybe another non-scary team or two like Illinois, Northwestern, Colorado, Iowa State, or Kansas might get Minnesota to a 4 team tournament fairly often. That could be an easier path than trying to go undefeated in a huge crab pile like 14 teams, no divisions, and 2-3 protected games with upper tier teams every year.

My comment was coming from a traditional conference standpoint (BG10 vs Pac) and not from a competitive standpoint. This re-alignment destroys the old traditional game of West Coast vs Midwest conference champions. Competitively, the Gophs have been better than UCLA for several years and on par with USC, though USC has tremendous upside.

My comment was coming from a traditional conference standpoint (BG10 vs Pac) and not from a competitive standpoint. This re-alignment destroys the old traditional game of West Coast vs Midwest conference champions. Competitively, the Gophs have been better than UCLA for several years and on par with USC, though USC has tremendous upside.
Fair enough. But even now, if we ever did make it, it's like a 50% chance the other team wouldn't be a PAC 10 team anyway.

yeah, who knows what the future structure of the Rose Bowl Game will be. It could move forward similarly to today, with just USC and UCLA in the Big Ten and the Pac-10 carrying on without them. It could lose all prior conference tie-ins. It could wind up as a CFP playoff game every year.

If the Big Ten takes a bunch more Pac 12 teams, it could even re-shape itself as the conference championship game. Or there could be "two Rose Bowls", one that's a conference title version and one that's a NYD/CFP version. Wild times.

Oregon is not a TV or income addition, unless Nike gives up revenue to the B1G.

The Portland market is not even a top-20, and...don't say it... they are NOT a national brand. They are "famous" but the average football fan is not an Oregon fan. They are a cottage industry with a big single backer.

I say ASU makes a far-better TV partner. Phoenix will be a top-8 TV market by 2030. Maricopa County is now the 5th biggest county in the US.

yeah, who knows what the future structure of the Rose Bowl Game will be. It could move forward similarly to today, with just USC and UCLA in the Big Ten and the Pac-10 carrying on without them. It could lose all prior conference tie-ins. It could wind up as a CFP playoff game every year.

If the Big Ten takes a bunch more Pac 12 teams, it could even re-shape itself as the conference championship game. Or there could be "two Rose Bowls", one that's a conference title version and one that's a NYD/CFP version. Wild times.

Yes. This would actually have the same impact as the old Rose Bowl set up pre-BCS.

Oregon is not a TV or income addition, unless Nike gives up revenue to the B1G.

The Portland market is not even a top-20, and...don't say it... they are NOT a national brand. They are "famous" but the average football fan is not an Oregon fan. They are a cottage industry with a big single backer.

I say ASU makes a far-better TV partner. Phoenix will be a top-8 TV market by 2030. Maricopa County is now the 5th biggest county in the US.
Oregon is really good athletically in a lot of stuff.
Top 5 track program in the country. They are a good athletic brand

Not a slam dunk media but better than places like Kansas and Virginia tech

Oregon is really good athletically in a lot of stuff.
Top 5 track program in the country. They are a good athletic brand

Not a slam dunk media but better than places like Kansas and Virginia tech
Being a "good brand" is not enough. No one cares about their track team except Phil Knight. Every four years you might see a guy run fast in the Olympics (that no one watches now).

It's about TV sets and subscriptions.

Gophs will no longer be the only Maroon and Gold team in the conference. :(
That's incorrect per the SC website regarding their identity/brand (posters besides me can debate whether it's a technicality or not). Cardinal is not Maroon - at least not in my color wheel.

From said website -

USC’s official colors are Pantone 201C and Pantone 123C. These colors, designated as USC Cardinal and USC Gold, are equal in importance in identifying the university. All printed materials, whether printed on coated or uncoated stock, should match color to the coated Pantone chips. The Pantone Matching System, or PMS, is the definitive international reference for selecting, specifying, matching and controlling ink colors. It is strongly recommended that drawdowns be requested with each print job to ensure that the PMS colors are accurate. The correct and consistent use of USC’s official colors helps reinforce the university’s identity.

Wikipedia also lists it as Cardinal and Gold as well -

NicknameTrojans
Fight songFight On
ColorsCardinal and gold[1]
Websitewww.usctrojans.com
USC Trojan head.svg

Agree. That NIL is much more harmful to the Gophers (and college football) than conference re-shuffling.

That's incorrect per the SC website regarding their identity/brand (posters besides me can debate whether it's a technicality or not). Cardinal is not Maroon - at least not in my color wheel.

From said website -

USC’s official colors are Pantone 201C and Pantone 123C. These colors, designated as USC Cardinal and USC Gold, are equal in importance in identifying the university. All printed materials, whether printed on coated or uncoated stock, should match color to the coated Pantone chips. The Pantone Matching System, or PMS, is the definitive international reference for selecting, specifying, matching and controlling ink colors. It is strongly recommended that drawdowns be requested with each print job to ensure that the PMS colors are accurate. The correct and consistent use of USC’s official colors helps reinforce the university’s identity.

Wikipedia also lists it as Cardinal and Gold as well -

NicknameTrojans
Fight songFight On
ColorsCardinal and gold[1]
Websitewww.usctrojans.com
USC Trojan head.svg

So, maroon in guy terms. ;)

Being a "good brand" is not enough. No one cares about their track team except Phil Knight. Every four years you might see a guy run fast in the Olympics (that no one watches now).

It's about TV sets and subscriptions.
Yeah. It’s also about market. But if it’s just about TV sets and subscriptions Oregon was the 10th most watched program in 2021

Fair enough. But even now, if we ever did make it, it's like a 50% chance the other team wouldn't be a PAC 10 team anyway.

Notre dame,
Stanford
Oregon
Washington

Colorado
Arizona state

Florida state
Georgia tech
Clemson
Virginia
North Carolina
Boston college

That’s a huge TV conteacr
For going to 20, I would just swap Oregon for Cal. I think SEC tries for Clemson and either Fla St or GT to get to 18.

For going to 20, I would just swap Oregon for Cal. I think SEC tries for Clemson and either Fla St or GT to get to 18.
I think it’s going past that.
Anything with value will be bought up

The Gophers' costs just went up. I can't imagine the travel cost alone.

What will Notre Dame and Stanford do?

Top Bottom