USC and UCLA Planning to join BIG TEN.

The ones against adding USC/UCLA are the same nostalgia crowd that want to keep Williams arena around....We are going to mega conferences and its going to be great. Big games every week.
It's just a matter of time.

maybe they can take a few bucks from the $100-Million in TV rights fees and use it to buy some fuel for the team plane.

in FB terms - it all depends on the schedule. It may very well be that the Gophs would only go West to play USC or UCLA once every 3 or 4 years. And, if they play both teams in the same year, I would expect that at least once game would be in MN.

We're worrying about having to go to the West Coast more often when - in a 14-team league - the Gophers have played Indiana 3 times in the last 9 years.

so I don't think we have to worry about yearly trips to the West Coast.

maybe they can take a few bucks from the $100-Million in TV rights fees and use it to buy some fuel for the team plane.

in FB terms - it all depends on the schedule. It may very well be that the Gophs would only go West to play USC or UCLA once every 3 or 4 years. And, if they play both teams in the same year, I would expect that at least once game would be in MN.

We're worrying about having to go to the West Coast more often when - in a 14-team league - the Gophers have played Indiana 3 times in the last 9 years.

so I don't think we have to worry about yearly trips to the West Coast.
Why would we worry about yearly trips to the West Coast?

Because someone was born before airplanes were invented

The difference between a flight to LAX and a flight to Newark is like 75 minutes
Hmmnnnn...if I leave MPLS at noon I arrive in Newark at 4:45 PM...while if I fly from MSP at noon to LAX we arrive at 2:52 PM...

Fun with time zones...

Of course the way things are heading by the time this happens we'll be asking "what's flying?":p

This was a substantial move by the Big Ten and right now the ACC is dead-men walking.
Big 12, there's nothing there.
SEC is going to be at a TV disadvantage now because they can't compete on the $$ side with the Big Ten. Regional conference vs National Conference.

If SEC tries to go "National" it looks desperate.

Kevin Warren has ACC worried, Pac 12 is over, and now the SEC has few options.

If Big Ten wants to corner the market on teams he essentially could, and if he acts quickly enough now, he'll have even more leverage in 5 or 10 years.

This isn't check-mate, but it's pretty darn close.
Big Ten will be able to offer Pay for play years before SEC can crack that, and the Pay for Play $$$ will solve the issue that is NIL.

Individual investors in NIL won't be able to compete with the pay for play amounts that could come out of this. Yes, you might still buy a QB, but your 50 deep isn't going to be on par with 20-30 Big Ten schools all offering solid $$$.

This was a substantial move by the Big Ten and right now the ACC is dead-men walking.
Big 12, there's nothing there.
SEC is going to be at a TV disadvantage now because they can't compete on the $$ side with the Big Ten. Regional conference vs National Conference.

If SEC tries to go "National" it looks desperate.

Kevin Warren has ACC worried, Pac 12 is over, and now the SEC has few options.

If Big Ten wants to corner the market on teams he essentially could, and if he acts quickly enough now, he'll have even more leverage in 5 or 10 years.

This isn't check-mate, but it's pretty darn close.
Big Ten will be able to offer Pay for play years before SEC can crack that, and the Pay for Play $$$ will solve the issue that is NIL.

Individual investors in NIL won't be able to compete with the pay for play amounts that could come out of this. Yes, you might still buy a QB, but your 50 deep isn't going to be on par with 20-30 Big Ten schools all offering solid $$$.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the big ten expanded to 30
Made players employees and played their own playoff.

I understand how you feel, and there is a part of me that feels the exact same way. Having said that, as much as I think NIL and perhaps this, will mean the death of this sport for my interests, I’m willing to give it a chance until I can’t stomach it anymore. I haven’t reached that point just yet.
Same here...and I think most of this board would agree. I watched every Gophers game last year (3 in person) and they didn't feel any different than the games I've watched my entire life. I'll do the same this year and each year thereafter until they just feel differently.

Lunacy. SC and UCLA are West Coast teams and should remain in their fan regions. Greed, as usual, is creating super conferences for TV money. There will be travel problems with time differences, probably break-up of the Big Ten West, which was a regionally tight conference - anything for money. Won't do the U football team much good, with NIL and the crazy transfer permissiveness favoring the prestige schools
Their region is mostly LA… that’s it.

Meanwhile they are in a conference that has no leadership and their tv network isn’t even in some towns where conference teams are located.

Their region is mostly LA… that’s it.

Meanwhile they are in a conference that has no leadership and their tv network isn’t even in some towns where conference teams are located.
Their Dismal TV access and contracts have held the Pac-? back. I live near Seattle and it’s much easier to watch Gopher sports than The Huskies.

Now, without a team in the number 1 TV market, any new media contract will be even worse.

I hope UW and Oregon can hitch on to the B1G. It makes sense to eventually have 5 west coast teams to make up 1/4 of 20 teams.

Why would we worry about yearly trips to the West Coast?

I was responding to people talking about the increased cost of travel, by making the point that the FB team would not likely be going to the West Coast every year.

planes cost money.

on another note - haven't checked this myself, but someone was claiming that the distance from Rutgers to Iceland is actually less than the distance from Rutgers to USC.

I was responding to people talking about the increased cost of travel, by making the point that the FB team would not likely be going to the West Coast every year.

planes cost money.

on another note - haven't checked this myself, but someone was claiming that the distance from Rutgers to Iceland is actually less than the distance from Rutgers to USC.
My guess is the new tv money will pay for the plane. I don’t think the Rutgers football program is gonna be too sad to go play in the rose bowl. Or any of the other programs heading off to LA every year.

planes cost money.

Other than fuel costs, plane flights all cost the same; whether it’s to LA or West Lafayette.

Once again, a straw man argument.

Their Dismal TV access and contracts have held the Pac-? back. I live near Seattle and it’s much easier to watch Gopher sports than The Huskies.

Now, without a team in the number 1 TV market, any new media contract will be even worse.

I hope UW and Oregon can hitch on to the B1G. It makes sense to eventually have 5 west coast teams to make up 1/4 of 20 teams.
I mean yeah gopher sports hard to watch in Seattle, that makes sense.

Pacs TV network is a mess compared to BTN.

B1G made the right call partnering with someone who understands TV.

The PAC-12 reporter hits on probably the greatest threat to college athletics and student athlete scholarship availability: reclassification as employees. Barring revolutionary leadership moves to reform governance and revenue structure (they have had decades to do this, not gonna happen) a period of extreme turbulence seems to be inevitable over the next decade plus as players battle management for an increasing piece of the pie and schools battle each other other for talent, with all the attendant fallout. Many athletes won’t need plane rides, after all. They’ll be done after high school.

Curious for your take on what this means for Cal and Stanford and how other conferences value/think about the Bay Area media market. — @nwpapas

Do you think Cal and Stanford might use this opportunity to exit football? — @BearFlagFan

In all candor, I believe this could mark the beginning of the end of major college football for the Bay Area schools.

Their relatively low value within the college football marketplace is one reason for that bleak outlook.

Yes, the Bay Area is a huge media market, and that mattered a decade ago when it was all about how many cable homes were in your footprint.

Now, the main driver is brand value: Fox and ESPN will pay for the football programs that generate ratings and are most likely to land in prime TV windows. Neither Bay Area team clears those bars.

(From the standpoint of potential membership in the Big Ten, why would Northwestern ever want the conference to toss Stanford a lifeline? They are direct competitors on the recruiting trail.)

The other reason for our skepticism is the economic landscape.

At some point in the near future, college athletes likely will be declared employees, or pseudo-employees, and receive compensation from the schools for their services.

There’s no chance Stanford would ever do that, and we doubt Cal would take the plunge. On both campuses, the faculty would revolt like it’s Paris in 1789.

Add the unseemly aspect of name, image and likeness — when it’s used as a proxy for pay-for-play — and the entire sport is careening in a direction that conflicts with the institutional philosophies on both sides of the Bay.

There will be a national league of college football run by the Big Ten offices.

The players will get paid if you play in this league.

Those teams will dominate non-paying conferences.

ACC, Big12, PAC12 can't compete with that. The SEC likely can't as well because the Big Ten secured the best brands and markets.

Southerners can NIL their way to compete athletically the best they can, but they could be up against a machine that has 20-30 teams who all are paying all of their players, each of those teams earning more TV $$$ than the top SEC school.

Times are a changing...

I have to think it's not going to stop with USC/UCLA.
-Cal: In addition to the prestige of Cal, if Cal comes with, that should ease some of the political pressure of California state schools & UCLA coming.
-Stanford: If Cal comes, Stanford adds a rival, plus the prestige of Stanford academically & non-revenue athletically to me is a no brainer.
-Oregon: While not a blue blood, I consider Oregon a national brand.
-Washington: Probably could insert Colorado or Kansas, but Washington makes a natural 6 team Pacific-time & travel pod (even though 6 doesn't really go into 20).
Also -- and not that this is really that big of a deal -- but all four are in the AAU membership (the prestigious university club, not the amateur athletic union).

The PAC-12 reporter hits on probably the greatest threat to college athletics and student athlete scholarship availability: reclassification as employees. Barring revolutionary leadership moves to reform governance and revenue structure (they have had decades to do this, not gonna happen) a period of extreme turbulence seems to be inevitable over the next decade plus as players battle management for an increasing piece of the pie and schools battle each other other for talent, with all the attendant fallout. Many athletes won’t need plane rides, after all. They’ll be done after high school.

Curious for your take on what this means for Cal and Stanford and how other conferences value/think about the Bay Area media market. — @nwpapas

Do you think Cal and Stanford might use this opportunity to exit football? — @BearFlagFan

In all candor, I believe this could mark the beginning of the end of major college football for the Bay Area schools.

Their relatively low value within the college football marketplace is one reason for that bleak outlook.

Yes, the Bay Area is a huge media market, and that mattered a decade ago when it was all about how many cable homes were in your footprint.

Now, the main driver is brand value: Fox and ESPN will pay for the football programs that generate ratings and are most likely to land in prime TV windows. Neither Bay Area team clears those bars.

(From the standpoint of potential membership in the Big Ten, why would Northwestern ever want the conference to toss Stanford a lifeline? They are direct competitors on the recruiting trail.)

The other reason for our skepticism is the economic landscape.

At some point in the near future, college athletes likely will be declared employees, or pseudo-employees, and receive compensation from the schools for their services.

There’s no chance Stanford would ever do that, and we doubt Cal would take the plunge. On both campuses, the faculty would revolt like it’s Paris in 1789.

Add the unseemly aspect of name, image and likeness — when it’s used as a proxy for pay-for-play — and the entire sport is careening in a direction that conflicts with the institutional philosophies on both sides of the Bay.
If they want to go the UChicago route ... that is entirely their prerogative.

But they enjoy being nationally competitive in almost every other DI sport.

Football really is just its own thing, and for whatever reason, even though there are tons of great athletes in the sport in California, CFB just is not that popular. At least relative to how it is in the south and the midwest.

There will be a national league of college football run by the Big Ten offices.

The players will get paid if you play in this league.

Those teams will dominate non-paying conferences.

ACC, Big12, PAC12 can't compete with that. The SEC likely can't as well because the Big Ten secured the best brands and markets.

Southerners can NIL their way to compete athletically the best they can, but they could be up against a machine that has 20-30 teams who all are paying all of their players, each of those teams earning more TV $$$ than the top SEC school.

Times are a changing...
If/when this type of thing comes to pass ...... there needs to be a draft.

If you're a high school, JUCO, transfer ... whatever player, and you want to play football in the new Big Ten ... you need to declare for our league's draft. And be prepared to play for whichever schools drafts you.

You have the whole rest of your life to go to NW for school, if that's what you really wanted to do, educationally. That is not a valid excuse. This is business. If they tell you that you'll play for Minnesota, then that's that. You're either in or you play in some other conference.

That's how it works in the NFL, and a huge aspect about what makes that product so great.

planes cost money.

Probably true as Minnesota to Iceland is like a 4.5 hour flight

If/when this type of thing comes to pass ...... there needs to be a draft.

If you're a high school, JUCO, transfer ... whatever player, and you want to play football in the new Big Ten ... you need to declare for our league's draft. And be prepared to play for whichever schools drafts you.

You have the whole rest of your life to go to NW for school, if that's what you really wanted to do, educationally. That is not a valid excuse. This is business. If they tell you that you'll play for Minnesota, then that's that. You're either in or you play in some other conference.

That's how it works in the NFL, and a huge aspect about what makes that product so great.
You're not being serious here, right?

Probably true as Minnesota to Iceland is like a 4.5 hour flight
Is the University of Iceland going D1? Would be a fun road trip. Plus, Minnesotans would be familiar with their skol chant.

You're not being serious here, right?
There is nothing illegal or invalid about it.

College sports has nothing to do with school. There is no such thing as using the excuse of "but I want to go to school over there".

OK fine. Go to school over there. No one is stopping you. Go play rec sports. Have a ball.

If you want to play Big Ten football, and the conference tells you that you have to play for the U of Minnesota .... how is that at all, in any way, different than the NFL telling a kid from Florida that he has to go play football in Seattle, and him not getting any say so in the matter?

Top Bottom