UPDATES On Upcoming Official Visits

So I know the are from Miami but what is so special about them to get the name "Miami 4"

Because it's 4 kids from Miami, from the same school that are all supposedly coming to the U.

Yeah, that makes sense. I do wonder if there is a big difference between official visits and non-official visits though. I remember reading the article about Leidner and he kind of ran down the plans for the weekend (dinner DT at Fogo, hanging out in the dorms, USC bball game, etc.). Does anyone know if there are different rules allowed for official visits that aren't allowed for unofficial visits? If so, maybe Kill talked him into using an official on us so he could be part of the whole experience.

Anyways, it's a big weekend for Gopher football. I hope Phil Nelson, Maxx Williams and Mitch Leidner have been working on their sales pitches for this weekend.

The only difference between officials and unofficials is who's paying for it. I assumed that Johnson would want to save his 5 officials and just pay his own way for travel/meals/entertainment for his U visit, but if he really is using one of his officials this weekend, that is a great sign for us because it means we are a very serious contender. If he had his heart set on going to Ole Miss, Iowa, Auburn, etc. I highly doubt he would use one of those 5 precious officials to visit a place a half-hour away.

The only difference between officials and unofficials is who's paying for it. I assumed that Johnson would want to save his 5 officials and just pay his own way for travel/meals/entertainment for his U visit, but if he really is using one of his officials this weekend, that is a great sign for us because it means we are a very serious contender. If he had his heart set on going to Ole Miss, Iowa, Auburn, etc. I highly doubt he would use one of those 5 precious officials to visit a place a half-hour away.

Thanks for the info! Yeah, that is a great sign for us. I have always had a hunch that Johnson wasn't that interested in the U, simply because he seemed to really be looking around. I didn't blame the kid or anything, I just never had a good vibe that he'd end up at MN. So this is great news.

Thanks for the info! Yeah, that is a great sign for us. I have always had a hunch that Johnson wasn't that interested in the U, simply because he seemed to really be looking around. I didn't blame the kid or anything, I just never had a good vibe that he'd end up at MN. So this is great news.

I've been hesitant to bring it up here because of the source, but I was told a few months ago by an acquaintance of the family that he would be very surprised if Johnson went away for school because he is very close to his brother (who is developmentally disabled and wheelchair-bound) and he just couldn't see Will purposefully separating himself geographically. Everything that's been happening since seems to run counter to that, but perhaps the rubber is meeting the road and he just can't bring himself to be away. Of course he should do what is best for he and his family, but if the U benefits, even better.

I've been hesitant to bring it up here because of the source, but I was told a few months ago by an acquaintance of the family that he would be very surprised if Johnson went away for school because he is very close to his brother (who is developmentally disabled and wheelchair-bound) and he just couldn't see Will purposefully separating himself geographically. Everything that's been happening since seems to run counter to that, but perhaps the rubber is meeting the road and he just can't bring himself to be away. Of course he should do what is best for he and his family, but if the U benefits, even better.
It could also be that the U is the only school recruiting him as a TE.

So I know the are from Miami but what is so special about them to get the name "Miami 4"

Miami Central produces tons of D-1 talent year in and year out...getting 4 kids from this school would not only be a huge talent grab for the U but also might open up a long term talent foothold in the Miami area...which could be huge over the years.

Article quote from ESPN about last years class...this years class is expected to have 16 d1 recruits:
It's not as easy as counting every player from the top schools who signed a letter of intent since some are signed with Division II or smaller colleges. Still, these 10 high schools set themselves apart and have been ranked in order based on number of signers with major colleges, number of Division I signers overall and on how the teams did on the field last fall.

Here are our 10 best:

1. Miami Central (Miami, Fla.)

Signers (18): QB Rakeem Cato to Marshall; LB Prince DeJesus to North Carolina Central; WR Durell Eskridge to Syracuse; DB Thomas Finnie to Miami; RB Deonta Freeman to Florida State; WR Charles Gaines to Louisville; LB Dwight Jackson to Cincinnati; DL Andrae Kirk to North Carolina Central; LB Diondre Lewis to Florida Atlantic; OL Marquis Lucas to West Virginia; OL John Miller to Louisville; DB Dennis Nalor to Central Michigan; LB Miles Pace to Central Florida; DB Carroll Phillips to Cincinnati; LB Ladell Pleasure to North Carolina Central; WR Thomas Shuler to Marshall; DB Jordan Thomas to North Carolina Central; LB Oliver Vigille to Syracuse.
On the Field: A 42-27 victory over previously unbeaten Dr. Phillips (Orlando, Fla.) gave the Rockets their first Class 6A state title. They ended 15-1 and were No. 16 in the final POWERADE FAB 50.
Alumni: Running back Willis McGahee, who also starred at the University of Miami, rushed for five touchdowns during the 2010 season for the Baltimore Ravens.
2012 Prospect: DB Donaldven Manning (5-foot-10, 165 pounds), a recent transfer from Miami Edison (Miami, Fla.), was reported with 35 tackles, one interception and two forced fumbles last season. He has committed to Virginia Tech.

Sounds like, barring any unforeseen offers, it will be between wv and mn for Johnson, so it will be an official. Some new teams inquiring late tho

Boddy is a stud, would be a huge puck up. Would have 3 yr's here

I believe it is an official and I think for officials they can partake in all the activities for the weekend. Not sure they can for unofficials.

In looking at the visits, I am kinda wishing they had more scholies available

It is possible we lose a few recruits, to DII caliber schools, like the one in Fargo. Hopefully that means with '11 out of the way and Iowa and Illinois (again, but with a keeper coach) wins that our loses to them are over. No disrespect intended, we just never had any business losing in the first place.

In looking at the visits, I am kinda wishing they had more scholies available

We have lots of schollies available. Kill has said repeatedly, the commit list is not accurate. This will be a pretty good class.

FYI the weekend recruits were all at the BB game today, with Max, Tommy O, and Anthony Jacobs as hosts.

Will Johnson and many other Recruits as well as current players were at the gophers / USC basketball game today.

Here's what I've been able to find so far:

12/2

Uncommitted:
Charlie Miller
Ka'Ra Stewart
Lincoln Plsek
Will Johnson
Darius Jackson
Briean Boddy

im waiting as patiently as i can.... someone needs to update us on these recruits... i really want stewart, miller, and johnson to commit

did we 'lose' a commit??....I thought Rivals had us listed with 23, now its 22

Charlie Miller
Ka'Ra Stewart
Lincoln Plsek
Will Johnson
Darius Jackson
Briean Boddy

anyone a paying member on rivals and can read the 2 new articales, one was about darius and how he ws blown away my MN and the other is about will Johnson

I can't believe that none of the uncommitted recruits gave a verbal to committ to the program this weekend. Is this a bad sign? Anyways I am really excited about the future with the recruits that have already committed, but would love to see just a little more speed and depth.

Darius Jackson 6-/190 ATH. gave his visit a 10 out of 10. He could be the next safety recruit.

I can't believe that none of the uncommitted recruits gave a verbal to committ to the program this weekend. Is this a bad sign? Anyways I am really excited about the future with the recruits that have already committed, but would love to see just a little more speed and depth.

I think it's more of a sign that a number of guys visiting this past weekend also have visits lined up for the next couple of weekends as well. If I were a kid in this position, I'd likely take all my visits unless I was totally blown away.

stuck_in_scony_go4_fan

gi has a story about him and his visit, im guessing thats where he got it from

Thanks - I really appreciate it when the source is included. Without it, it can be difficult to assess the validity and meaning of the quote. A quote reported by Sid would be a good example of one that might be suspect.

Top Bottom