UPDATES On Upcoming Official Visits

Quadry Antoine is on the front of GI, it says he's a Mississippi St. commit but may be considering the Gophers. Very nice offer list.

Thanks - I really appreciate it when the source is included. Without it, it can be difficult to assess the validity and meaning of the quote. A quote reported by Sid would be a good example of one that might be suspect.

I am sworn to secretcy Killer but I know that you can find the info on Rivals.com:)

Quadry Antoine is on the front of GI, it says he's a Mississippi St. commit but may be considering the Gophers. Very nice offer list.
A three star 6'1 210 4.5 safety that is a December grad, he could be here in January, with Larry Fedora of Missisppi State possibly moving on, Antoine could be a very nice pick up.

A three star 6'1 210 4.5 safety that is a December grad, he could be here in January, with Larry Fedora of Missisppi State possibly moving on, Antoine could be a very nice pick up.

Larry Fedora is at Southern Miss. Dan Mullen is the coach at Miss State and rumored to be at the top of Penn State's wish list but not sure he would want to enter that hornet's nest.

Bayfield

I am sworn to secretcy Killer but I know that you can find the info on Rivals.com:)

Thanks - Your info seems to be always accurate but I wasn’t sure if you were a close personal friend of Sid's:)

Larry Fedora is at Southern Miss. Dan Mullen is the coach at Miss State and rumored to be at the top of Penn State's wish list but not sure he would want to enter that hornet's nest.
Can I claim brain cramp, I know the coaches, Larry Fedora is the more likely to move on. The Cam Newton mess might be enough for PSU to pass on Mullen even though he did nothing wrong. Still, if Quadry Antoine wants to enroll early, coaching uncertainty is not good.

I've been hesitant to bring it up here because of the source, but I was told a few months ago by an acquaintance of the family that he would be very surprised if Johnson went away for school because he is very close to his brother (who is developmentally disabled and wheelchair-bound) and he just couldn't see Will purposefully separating himself geographically. Everything that's been happening since seems to run counter to that, but perhaps the rubber is meeting the road and he just can't bring himself to be away. Of course he should do what is best for he and his family, but if the U benefits, even better.

Interesting. It can be tough leaving family behind for some of these kids.

Any prep athlete from Minnesota who doesn't commit immediately always gets the not interested in Minnesota meme applied to them. Johnson very well might not want to go to Minnesota, but except for some certain instances (e.g. Seantrel Henderson) I don't count us out until the kid commits somewhere. If Johnson commits, every top recruit in state will have committed to the gophers except McDonald. Nice.

I think that Johnson would like to go away to school but the only school still recruiting him as a TE is MN. I think that more then anything he's torn between having a chance to play his preferred position or going away to school.

Updated to add Maye to 12/9 visitors and change Boddy to a Gopher commit.

Maye has excellent speed and plays QB. If he joins up, he would likely be our fastest player. Randle-El anyone?

KJ gots some quicks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHwgW8dSM8c

I don't buy the 5'10, 190lbs his film lists him at, but he looks like a pretty dynamic little guy. Looks like he does throw the ball pretty well too!

I'd be happy to get him, Miller, and the safety/rb from E. St. Louis, and figure out who plays where later (WR/DB/RB). We need playmakers and all three of these guys look to be exactly that. I get a little worried about all the little guys we seem to be accumulating (M. Jones, Balthazar, recruiting KJ, Miller, etc, etc.), but I trust, I trust.

Updated to include Antonio Johnson, who is visiting this weekend per Jared Shanker at ESPN. Johnson claims he was told by the Minnesota staff that he will be offered when he visits.

ESPN has Johson as a 2-Star committed to Ball State.

I get a little worried about all the little guys we seem to be accumulating (M. Jones, Balthazar, recruiting KJ, Miller, etc, etc.), but I trust, I trust.

I don't we'll get all of them, but they aren't really that small (aside from Jones)...

Balthazar is big for a defensive back (6'0" 195)
Miller is 5'11" 185
Maye is borderline small at 5'10" 180

I don't we'll get all of them, but they aren't really that small (aside from Jones)...

Miller is 5'11" 185
Charlie Miller can jump out of the gym so being short is only a slight disadvantage is in it could take him longer to get to the same height.

Miller is 5'11" 185

I get it, but keep in mind - these are what they are listed at. In reality, take an inch or two and several pounds off. And I know Miller is crazy athletic, which is what we need. My personal preference is a mix - I'd love a big 6'4 guy for going down the field and in the red zone, and I love the quick, little guys getting bubble screens. I just don't love all of one or the other.

I'll say again, I trust, I trust.

I get it, but keep in mind - these are what they are listed at. In reality, take an inch or two and several pounds off. And I know Miller is crazy athletic, which is what we need. My personal preference is a mix - I'd love a big 6'4 guy for going down the field and in the red zone, and I love the quick, little guys getting bubble screens. I just don't love all of one or the other.

I'll say again, I trust, I trust.

No I get what you're saying, but you have to make that size adjustment for everyone. It isn't just the 5'9" guys saying they're 5'11", it's the 6'2" guys saying they're 6'4".

We do have some size in the WR position coming in. Fruechte is a big guy and DCT is a pretty big WR.

But I do hear what you're saying.

Grant Childress is on the home page of GI as someone the Gophs have now expressed interest in. He looks like a nice player too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YprKqE1RTXo

Actually, the QB looks REALLY good; small, but really good arm. Must be an underclassman, I'm guessing.

(not sure if he is visiting, but didn't want to necessarily start a new thread)

fedora to UNC should create even more openings for our staff to get some recruits to possibly change their mind.

Robert Gregory, #12 rated dual-threat QB in the nation will be here this weekend. He's out of Chicago, currently a soft verbal to Arkansas.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/football/recruiting/player-Robert-Gregory-112400

My guess is we're recruiting him as a WR? The visit list is ridiculous with how many guys Kill is getting in here (in a good way). It's very different from the Brewster era, in that recruiting seemed to be pretty light during the season, and is heating up now.... w/ Brewster, it seemed that he tried to get guys in for officials in the fall, and it was relatively quiet in Dec/Jan.

No way we turn down Robert Gregory. I don't care how many Qbs we have.

They did this a ton at NIU. QB's are often smart enough and athletic enough to play a lot of different positions.

DeAnte Lawrence will be visiting on January 13.

Here is the current list of visits.
QB Gregory-Arkansas verbal
OL Hayes-MN
DT Hinojosa-MN
DB Antonio Johnson-Ball State
DE Keith-MN
DE-Lee South Florida
LB Lynn-MN
ATH Maye
DB McGaster
OL Pirsig-MN
DB Damarius Travis

Here is the current list of visits.
QB Gregory-Arkansas verbal
OL Hayes-MN
DT Hinojosa-MN
DB Antonio Johnson-Ball State
DE Keith-MN
DE-Lee South Florida
LB Lynn-MN
ATH Maye
DB McGaster
OL Pirsig-MN
DB Damarius Travis

Hinjosa? Without the rest?
That might not be a good sign for Nicholson, Ballestros, and Hinds.
Anyone verify this?

Top Bottom