UPDATED 6/2: Joey King a Gopher, on full scholarship!

If King's production anywhere near matched that of what Dusty Rychart gave us, I think Gopher fans would be pleased.

Sorry, can't believe I forgot the kid from Grand Rapids was a walk-on. I've been thinking about another player from there.

I spoke to Dan Haugh, King's AAU coach and he told me that King is not going to walk-on at Minnesota. King, who averaged 6.9 points and 2.9 rebounds as a freshman, at Drake, has received plenty of interest after deciding to transfer after a head coaching change. Minnesota is a possibility, but King is only looking to transfer to a school where he would be in scholarship. Minnesota is still awaiting word on several prospects who have offers. King will make some visits in early June.

Chris Monter

Tough situation for King, but I would assume that Minnesota is perhaps the only D1 school he could come to and be allowed to play next year due to the family situation.

Tough situation for King, but I would assume that Minnesota is perhaps the only D1 school he could come to and be allowed to play next year due to the family situation.

Maybe he could only play at Minnesota or maybe they (King and school) try to spin it a different way (more flexibility, closer to another relative, coach leaving).

I have nothing concrete but it seems to me the NCAA is much more flexible on player movement than they were 10 years ago. I almost wonder if they have a legal opinion that allowing freedom of movement is preferable to facing a legal challenge.

Personally, I would bring King in rather than wait. It is almost June.

I am personally dismayed that they would consider the Rutgers transfer and the other marginal player who visited as worthy of scholarship....ahead of Joey King. I understand waiting on Buckles, a clear talent with only one year left, but I sense a little bit of dischord between the new staff and local high school movers and shakers. They ran Halvorson off (no matter what else is said) they were indifferent to Joe and now appear to be snubbing King.

None of these players are going to wow the NBA scouts, but they are all local guys with something to offer, and the staff seems a bit arrogant in their pronouncements. I like to see a bit more humility and a little less "they don't fit our vision."

Thanks for the update, Chris. It seems to me that if we bring in King, he is essentially what we thought Oto could be. Maybe Pitino thinks he can fix Oto, thereby making King redundant?

I would like to bring in Buckles for sure (if we can) and wouldn't mind King...but I'm not totally sold on him.

I like King, but the local high school movers and shakers heads aren't going to roll if Coach P.'s vision doesn't win here. Some things you have to take on faith. Winning in the B1G is not about consensus building with your fan base. Once again I like King, but I have no idea what else Coach P. and staff have going on.

I am personally dismayed that they would consider the Rutgers transfer and the other marginal player who visited as worthy of scholarship....ahead of Joey King. I understand waiting on Buckles, a clear talent with only one year left, but I sense a little bit of dischord between the new staff and local high school movers and shakers. They ran Halvorson off (no matter what else is said) they were indifferent to Joe and now appear to be snubbing King.

None of these players are going to wow the NBA scouts, but they are all local guys with something to offer, and the staff seems a bit arrogant in their pronouncements. I like to see a bit more humility and a little less "they don't fit our vision."

Yeah Pitino really gained a lot by "running off" a walk-on. :rolleyes:

This definitely wasn't a case of a walk-on wanting to play some meaningful minutes as a senior...

I'd rather see more winning. I don't care if the players are from Minnesota or not.

[/B]

I'd rather see more winning. I don't care if the players are from Minnesota or not.

Ultimately...this is true. But so far count me among the nonplused. They still have bridge building to do with area coaches....and those in Chicago too, but they don't seem to need anyone but themselves.

King really needs to decide why he is transferring if he is going to make a run for a waiver.

Ultimately...this is true. But so far count me among the nonplused. They still have bridge building to do with area coaches....and those in Chicago too, but they don't seem to need anyone but themselves.

I don't disagree that they have bridge building to do with area coaches. But that takes time. I suspect that Pitino knows the importance of having that relationship. But I'm ok with a coach that comes in here with a little bit of a chip on his shoulder. I prefer that approach to an approach filled with excuses. (not pointing the finger at anyone here)

I have no idea if King can play or not. Or if he would be a better player than the others that are currently on the table. Realistically, he isn't a program changer or others would be hot after him too. I just don't want the decision to be slanted based on where he grew up. We tend to be too provincial when looking at these decisions sometimes.

King really needs to decide why he is transferring if he is going to make a run for a waiver.

Yeah, that sounds a bit hollow if he wants to get a waiver to play right away at the U because of a sick relative...but he is also contemplating all kinds of other offers. I wouldn't mind if we gave him a scholarship this year along with Buckles, and let Oto graduate next year and move on. He essentially takes Oto's scholarship/role.

PiPress Gophers Now‏@GophersNow40s
Just heard former Eastview standout Joey King has committed to the Gophers. The Drake transfer is trying to get a waiver to play right away.

Interesting. I wonder if this means anything re: Buckles.

Looking forward to rooting for Joey along with the rest of the team.

how likely is it he gets a waiver? Usually it is a family issue that results in a waiver being granted

hmm, maybe things aren't as optimistic for Buckles now?

That's what I am thinking. If it works out for Buckles, is there still scholarship room for him? King has three years, correct? And as of now, no assurance of eligibility next year. Like the experience, but still think we are missing the banger we need.

If this is his correct twitter it looks like he will indeed be on scholarship.
Joey King ♛ ‏@KingJoey_2452m
Ive accepted a scholarship to play basketball at the University of Minnesota. Could not be more excited to be a gopher. !

I am looking forward to him as a Gopher.

That's what I am thinking. If it works out for Buckles, is there still scholarship room for him? King has three years, correct? And as of now, no assurance of eligibility next year. Like the experience, but still think we are missing the banger we need.

Yes, we still have one scholarship open. I don't think King and Buckles had much to do with each other. If Buckles can become eligible I still think he'll come here, play his one year, and his scholarship will become available for 2014.

Yes, we still have one scholarship open. I don't think King and Buckles had much to do with each other. If Buckles can become eligible I still think he'll come here, play his one year, and his scholarship will become available for 2014.

Thanks. Earlier reports had King waiting on other reccruits, and I assumed it meant Buckles, but maybe someone else. He still needs to get the waiver to play right away. Seem slike a good player, but still not filling the greatest need.

Very excited about this, I think he will do an awesome job here. Great kid and very hard worker. Really excited to see him in maroon and good.

Thanks. Earlier reports had King waiting on other reccruits, and I assumed it meant Buckles, but maybe someone else. He still needs to get the waiver to play right away. Seem slike a good player, but still not filling the greatest need.
What would you say is the biggest need? Probably a more physical big, I believe King is a PF but I'm not sure how he will hold up against PFs in the B1G on the defensive end, he averaged 6.9 points and 2.9 rebounds last season.

Darren Wolfson‏@DarrenWolfson2m
#Gophers source on King: "High IQ, competitor, bleeds maroon & gold. Most important: Pick & pop 4 who stretches D. Makes shots. Adds depth."

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
I lean towards Buckles if he is eligible to play right away and I would guess that is what we will be waiting on, I like that the scholarship would be available again for the 2014 class. I haven't seen Randall play but looking at his numbers they really aren't very impressive at all.

Should have some good 3pt shooters now with Hollins boys Malik smith and King!

So who's the starting power forward right now? Has to be Buggs right?

Son of a, we used a scholarship on a mediocre PF with three year's of eligibility left? What a waste.

Top Bottom