Tyus will not come here says his dad.

How often do you see a conference prove to be too tough for a top 2 player in the country?

I have a nagging feeling that Tyus will have a Duke career
similar to Adam Boone with NC Tar Heels.

He might be over his head out there in the ACC and he will be trying to transfer back to the Gophers after 2 years in an attempt to salvage his career.

Adam Boone and Tyus are/were good kids outside of basketball too.
And I think Tyus is better than Boone on the court, but i just have a feeling the ACC will prove too tough for him and he'll be looking to return home after that.

Any big time recruiting class Pitino has is going to include players from the Northeast imo. Until we start winning at a high level I think recruiting in state and in the Big Ten's general geography will be tough. With Coach Young's ties along with the rest of the staff the New York City area should be a hotbed for the Gophers to get players.

Agree. If you include Wally and Buggs as new players, our 4 recruits, and hopefully Buckles, that's a lot of new players. I'm hoping once through the B1G, mid-season, that we become a pretty competitive team. I hate to say NIT on this board, but there is a time and place. I don't think it's going to take Coach P. and staff that long to start winning big.

Some of you people are pathetic. This is a Gopher fan board, not a support group for Minnesota teenage basketball players. Until you start demanding success, expecting the best to come, the U will never reach its potential in basketball to be and remain an elite basketball program. Get over your natural Minnesota mediocrity/modesty and start demanding more. Sure, if you know a kid personally then that's different, fine, go congratulate him on choosing a school other than the U. For Gopher "fans" who don't know these kids personally to applaud them on this board for going to other schools is asinine and makes Gopher fans look weak and stupid and accepting of mediocre status.
It's because of mediocrity that he isn't coming here you nitwit. It's probably not advisable for a potential future top 5 NBA draft talent to choose a coach with a year of D1 experience at lowly FIU over coach K. This isn't meant as a put down of Pitino, just the truth of the situation right now.

Some of you people are pathetic. This is a Gopher fan board, not a support group for Minnesota teenage basketball players. Until you start demanding success, expecting the best to come, the U will never reach its potential in basketball to be and remain an elite basketball program. Get over your natural Minnesota mediocrity/modesty and start demanding more. Sure, if you know a kid personally then that's different, fine, go congratulate him on choosing a school other than the U. For Gopher "fans" who don't know these kids personally to applaud them on this board for going to other schools is asinine and makes Gopher fans look weak and stupid and accepting of mediocre status.

Co-sign. I've never understood the "Well, if Tyus doesn't come here, I'll still cheer for him" mentality. I cheer for the Gophers, not for people who've rejected the Gophers. That is not how sports work. If Tyus comes here, I'll be a huge fan of his. If he doesn't, I will not cheer for him. In fact, I will probably cheer against him. How does it help us if Minnesota recruits succeed elsewhere? We want people staying out of our backyard, not thinking that it's a fertile recruiting ground (which granted, is pretty much the most open secret in the world for the 2014 class). So, if, as I expect, Tyus goes elsewhere, I hope he's a miserable failure on the basketball court, as is my hope for pretty much all of the other players in division 1 who aren't on Minnesota. It's kind of part of being a fan, and I can't comprehend the attitude of people who root for Minnesotans who spurn the U.

Co-sign. I've never understood the "Well, if Tyus doesn't come here, I'll still cheer for him" mentality. I cheer for the Gophers, not for people who've rejected the Gophers. That is not how sports work. If Tyus comes here, I'll be a huge fan of his. If he doesn't, I will not cheer for him. In fact, I will probably cheer against him. How does it help us if Minnesota recruits succeed elsewhere? We want people staying out of our backyard, not thinking that it's a fertile recruiting ground (which granted, is pretty much the most open secret in the world for the 2014 class). So, if, as I expect, Tyus goes elsewhere, I hope he's a miserable failure on the basketball court, as is my hope for pretty much all of the other players in division 1 who aren't on Minnesota. It's kind of part of being a fan, and I can't comprehend the attitude of people who root for Minnesotans who spurn the U.

No it's not.

I just shake my head in disbelief at some of the immature adults (I'm presuming?) on this board. We all love Gopher basketball, but with all due respect,

Get

a

life.

Insert Jones and Okafer in this video.

I pose 2 questions for this thread.

1. All this talk about Tyus not being any good in college is just idiotic. Can anybody name one player ranked 1 or 2 by rivals in the last 10 years that didn't pan out?
2. More importantly then question #1, all this talk about Tyus or Rashad changing the Gopher program around is crazy too. Can anybody name one player that was one and done that turned a program around?

I'm hoping for Cohen, and Travis. I would love to watch Vaughn for a year, but if I had to choose kids for the state of the MN program today, I'd choose 4 year kids.

No it's not.

Really? In order for the Gophers to succeed in any game, the other team, comprised of a group of players, must fail. In order to succeed on a global scale, in order to win a championship, whether conference or national, you must be cheering for all other teams to ultimately fail. Now, once your team has been eliminated, sure, you can decide to support other teams, I guess. I tend to lose interest. However, it is ridiculous, in my mind, to be a fan of one team, and deny that you're hoping the players on every other team do not succeed. And again, this has nothing to do with their lives outside of basketball. I hope every one of them study hard, get good jobs, and become productive, taxpaying members of society. But the only d-1 basketball players I root for are on the University of Minnesota Gophers. If that makes me immature, so be it. I happen to think that anybody who denies they're rooting against people who aren't on their team is: a. lying to themselves; b. not actually a fan of their team; or c, one of these deadspinny "I only watch sports because of the sheer artistic value of the athleticism on display, and actually caring about the final store is incredible gauche" aesthetes.

1. top ranked players almost always do well.
2. Carmelo, not that Syracuse was down, but a national championship is pretty sweat!
Maybe Beasley going to kansas St. I don't believe they had much of a team before him but many solid ncaa teams with him and since.
Royce White at Iowa St? I am thinking of teams that didnt have much of a legacy in the few years before the player and now after exposer they have very good recruiting classes and ncaa teams year in and out.
**But your right in that most of these 1 and dones go to established successful programs already: kentucky, duke, kansas, nc, etc.

Johnny Dawkins, Tommy Ammaker, Jason Williams, Nolan Smith, Chris Duhon is a decent start.

Currently 17 Duke players in the NBA. We have 3 and one of those is Royce White.

Look, if you are given a choice between playing for one of the top 5 programs of all time versus staying home and playing for minnesota, and you choose to accept the challenge and play for the best, you should be commended and appreciated that you reached that level. The kid dreamed it and worked it and should now grab it. Yea, it sucks that he won't be here but the flip side is he will rep MN well. Go get it young fella!

This is the argument that I don't understand. I've seen a few people make it now and it doesn't make sense to me. He only represents MN if he chooses to go to the U. Aside from a few superstars, players aren't generally associated with where they wen't to high school or where they grew up. If he becomes a superstar or even a quality NBA player, he will be tied to the college program that he chooses and not as a native Minnesotan. For that reason I will not have any rooting interest in his success if he doesn't play here, and will actively root against him if he chooses a B1G school.

For what its worth, my dad talked to Tyus's dad and his dad said that Minnesota is not in his final three.

IF... and I repeat, IF you did actually talk to Tyus's dad, I'm sure he'd be thrilled you turned around and posted it on a gopher basketball fan site. Especially after recent quotes from Tyus and his mom that he is seriously considering the gophers.

Just make sure Pitino keeps a scholarship open in 2016, when he decides to transfer to play "closer to home".

1. top ranked players almost always do well.
2. Carmelo, not that Syracuse was down, but a national championship is pretty sweat!
Maybe Beasley going to kansas St. I don't believe they had much of a team before him but many solid ncaa teams with him and since.
Royce White at Iowa St? I am thinking of teams that didnt have much of a legacy in the few years before the player and now after exposer they have very good recruiting classes and ncaa teams year in and out.
**But your right in that most of these 1 and dones go to established successful programs already: kentucky, duke, kansas, nc, etc.

I'll give you Beasley, but Syracuse was a solid program before Carmelo. Royce was a senior when he played at Iowa St, so that is a little different then a freshman coming in. But I agree that his contributions coupled with Freddie really helped to turn Iowa St. around.

I still believe it is very rare for a freshman to come in and change the landscape and perception of a program that lacks recent national accolades.

Would Ricky Rubio count? Was one of the younger point guards and played pretty darn well.
Been playing professionally since he was 14 in tough European leagues against men not in the Lake Conference. Tyus is not at the same level as Rubio right now. Rubio is a better athlete by far. Tyus may be a better shooter than Ricky but so am I,

I'll give you Beasley, but Syracuse was a solid program before Carmelo. Royce was a senior when he played at Iowa St, so that is a little different then a freshman coming in. But I agree that his contributions coupled with Freddie really helped to turn Iowa St. around.

I still believe it is very rare for a freshman to come in and change the landscape and perception of a program that lacks recent national accolades.

Royce White played for four years?

x2
x2

Really? In order for the Gophers to succeed in any game, the other team, comprised of a group of players, must fail. In order to succeed on a global scale, in order to win a championship, whether conference or national, you must be cheering for all other teams to ultimately fail. Now, once your team has been eliminated, sure, you can decide to support other teams, I guess. I tend to lose interest. However, it is ridiculous, in my mind, to be a fan of one team, and deny that you're hoping the players on every other team do not succeed. And again, this has nothing to do with their lives outside of basketball. I hope every one of them study hard, get good jobs, and become productive, taxpaying members of society. But the only d-1 basketball players I root for are on the University of Minnesota Gophers. If that makes me immature, so be it. I happen to think that anybody who denies they're rooting against people who aren't on their team is: a. lying to themselves; b. not actually a fan of their team; or c, one of these deadspinny "I only watch sports because of the sheer artistic value of the athleticism on display, and actually caring about the final store is incredible gauche" aesthetes.

If Tyus or any other top hs player goes to a different school I would not root against him (or more importantly his team)unless they are playing against the Gophers or we were competing against that team in the standings. Why would you want someone to fail if it has no bearing on your team.

If you take pleasure in other people's failures you have other issues. If said player plays for a different team I won't cheer for him or against him. He/they went to a different school, move on and cheer for your team. No reason to be an obsessed lunatic.

Royce White played for four years?

No, but my point was he was older when he played at ISU. I think he was 21. I'm sure he got a lot stronger between when he would have been a freshman and when he played at ISU. I doubt if he would have had the same impact on the program in Ames if he played ONLY his true freshman year there.

In my opinion, a one and done by himself won't turn a program around. I'd rather have 3 recruits listed between 40-80 on rivals, then 1 recruit in the top 10.

No, but my point was he was older when he played at ISU. I think he was 21. I'm sure he got a lot stronger between when he would have been a freshman and when he played at ISU. I doubt if he would have had the same impact on the program in Ames if he played ONLY his true freshman year there.

In my opinion, a one and done by himself won't turn a program around. I'd rather have 3 recruits listed between 40-80 on rivals, then 1 recruit in the top 10.

Royce had a Big Ten body in high school. He was like 250 when he was a freshman with the Gophers and ridiculously strong. He also was suspended from the team here so he wasn't practicing and admittedly went a long time without touching a basketball. Instead he focused on music and put on some fat. I don't think his year of (mostly) inactivity here and first year of whatever he did in Ames helped him very much in terms of basketball.

I agree with you on the one and done's versus 4 year players. I said I would be just as happy with Reid as I would with Vaughn and Tyus. A top 10 player like Vaughn who can scorer almost always is one and done. Tyus could play 2 years. Reid as an undersized 4 I would think would play 4 years. Reid and JP, followed up with Illikanen, then Coffey, who knows??

Is this really news to anyone? I wish Tyus would just end the charade now and rule the Gophers out. This is garbage him saying the Gophers are still in the running, but yet he is playing with Okafor. I know he loves the attention and all, but cut the garbage out.

Who says he hasnt already told coach P this? Look at all the guards Coach P is already recruting outstate. This would lead me to believe he isnt waiting for Tyus. His final 8 came out and that is where he stands. No recruit ever announces one by one when they rule a school out. My guess is thsi fall he announces hsi top 3 or 4. It would be dumb for him to make an announcement when he is down to 7 and then 3 weeks later another announcement because he is down to 6 and then 5.

Top Bottom