Tyus will not come here says his dad.

and if tyus does want to win he would have just as good of a roster as anybody in the nation with tyus, andre hollins who would be a senior, rashad, reid travis, eliason who would be a senior and joe coleman whou would have been a senior, BTW coleman transferred AFTER i contemplated this roster and i just fell in love with how good the roster looked so i decided to do a what if situation if he would have stayed and not transfer how good the roster could have been in 2014, but that top 6 would have been just as impressive as anything duke could muster

That's if Andre doesn't decide to test the waters in the draft next summer. Lets hope he stays for four years.

That's if Andre doesn't decide to test the waters in the draft next summer. Lets hope he stays for four years.

i doubt he declares, he just doesnt seem like the type of player who would leave early, he seems like a jajuan johnson, jordan taylor, jon shurna type big ten player who would stay 4 years, the big ten produces alot of good seniors and the best talent in the conference is usually the seniors, also this might be just me but i am somewhat dumfounded as to why he is such a higly projected draft pick for 2014, he doesnt have exeptional athletiscism or speed which is crucial for a high draft spot, isnt big enough to play the 2, and is too inconsistent with his only strength being a streaky shooter and a good free throw shooter, he is good but not athletic enought to be a prospect, but i guess that is just me

and it is a best case scenario situation, not exactly what is going to happen, although i dont think dre will leave early

minnesota should always be on the final list of any homegrown minnesotan no matter how highly touted they are, even if they arent strongly considereing us it should still be on the final list

You can't make someone like you, and you can't keep them down on the farm. We want players who want to be here. Whatever makes sense to him is the right thing for him to do; it's his career. I have to say, it worked out for El Amin. Some day a local player of his caliber will take the road less traveled, but it's going to be someone who sees the possibilities here that Jones doesn't see. Don't discount that he might have been more interested if it hadn't been for his big buddy.

Not too surprising. I would assume Duke, Michigan State, and Kentucky would be the top three.

Can't lose what you never had.

Yup...all that needs to be said about Tyus. I will neither root for him or against him moving forward. Losing Vaughn and/or Reid will hurt a lot more...trust me.

I have to say, it worked out for El Amin.

LOL, I'm not sure which part is funnier about this statement ... all of the recruiting violations at UConn under Calhoun (widely known in bb circles as one of the biggest cheaters in the country), or El Amin's non-existent NBA career. I think there's a very, very strong argument El Amin should've stayed here, and for different reasons I'd maintain the same thing about Tyus.

A mere sampling:

http://assets.espn.go.com/ncb/news/1999/1111/164688.html

http://www.hoopsaddict.com/articles/a-march-madness-recruiting-tale/

minnesota should always be on the final list of any homegrown minnesotan no matter how highly touted they are, even if they arent strongly considereing us it should still be on the final list

We are on his final list, as of now... a list is an official type thing, and on his official list, we're right there.

If he, or any Minnesotan, believes their best opportunity is elsewhere, that's their choice. It falls on the coaches to convince them that the school they have lived by offers that best choice. Sometimes you can't ever make that pitch successfully, and sometimes you can.

Not too surprising. I would assume Duke, Michigan State, and Kentucky would be the top three.

Tyus, Jahlil, and Justise Winslow are all visiting Baylor together on August 30. It's looking more and more that all three are a package deal. There common schools are Duke, Kansas, Baylor, and Ohio State. If I were a betting man, I'd bet the farm on Duke.

LOL, I'm not sure which part is funnier about this statement ... all of the recruiting violations at UConn under Calhoun (widely known in bb circles as one of the biggest cheaters in the country), or El Amin's non-existent NBA career. I think there's a very, very strong argument El Amin should've stayed here, and for different reasons I'd maintain the same thing about Tyus.

A mere sampling:

http://assets.espn.go.com/ncb/news/1999/1111/164688.html

http://www.hoopsaddict.com/articles/a-march-madness-recruiting-tale/

Ok, but wouldn't El-Amin been part of a cheating program here?

Tyus, Jahlil, and Justise Winslow are all visiting Baylor together on August 30. It's looking more and more that all three are a package deal. There common schools are Duke, Kansas, Baylor, and Ohio State. If I were a betting man, I'd bet the farm on Duke.

I'd bet the farm on Duke, too.

Even if Kentucky isn't one of their "common schools," I do think they're in play. Kentucky's players are basically all from package deals. Last year they signed the #1 player at every single position...I would be very surprised if UK isn't involved at least a little big.

So when does his twitter post come denying that he has a top 3?

Is this really news to anyone? I wish Tyus would just end the charade now and rule the Gophers out. This is garbage him saying the Gophers are still in the running, but yet he is playing with Okafor. I know he loves the attention and all, but cut the garbage out.

For what its worth, my dad talked to Tyus's dad and his dad said that Minnesota is not in his final three. I know its hard to believe but take it how you want to I think Tyus should just cross us off the list at this point. If it helps my dad played for the Gophers in the 80s (Tim Hanson). He played amateur ball with and against Tyus's dad many times. That is how they know each other.

We've known this for quite some time.

If he was as good as everyone says he is, he WOULD win here. Other players would follow the top PG to Minnesota and Tyus could go down as a legend in his hometown. Now, he will be forgotten about (by me at least). All it shows is that his personality is more that of a follower than a leader. He probably watches American Idol and listens to Top 40.

This guy:rolleyes:

For what its worth, my dad talked to Tyus's dad and his dad said that Minnesota is not in his final three. I know its hard to believe but take it how you want to I think Tyus should just cross us off the list at this point. If it helps my dad played for the Gophers in the 80s (Tim Hanson). He played amateur ball with and against Tyus's dad many times. That is how they know each other.

Played HS and amateur baseball against your dad's Prior Lake teams. Tough guy to hit against with his 3/4 to sidearm delivery, and his ball really moved. Threw a heavy ball. When did your dad stop playing baseball, and do you know which amateur team Tyus' dad played for?

If Tyus opts for another school (pretty much a given, I agree), I hope it's Michigan State. I'd like to see him play in person a few times at the collegiate level (as long as it's not Wisconsin, so no worries there), and I wouldn't be able to stomach Dukie V slobbering all over him at Duke. Anywhere but Duke is my motto for Tyus. So I know what that means. ... he'll likely end up playing for Coach Alphabet.

My early impressions are Pitino is a savvy young man who's been well schooled by his father. He won't put all his eggs in the Big Three. If Lil' Ricky gets Travis and/or Vaughn I'll consider it a bonus, but if he doesn't I have faith he'll find good players elsewhere.

I was at game seven of the '87 World Series, but my biggest sports thrill was at the Gopher game vs. Ohio State in '86. The "Iron Five" of Marc Wilson, Ray Gaffney, Tim Hanson, Kelvin Smith and John Shasky beat the Buckeyes (who featured future NBA players Dennis Hopson and Brad Sellers). We sat in the second row directly under the hoop and stayed after to get my program cover signed by the Iron Five as well as interim coach Jimmy Williams (also got Joe Senser to sign it on the inside). It's still my most prized possession. Tell your dad "thanks" for providing such a great memory. Go Gophers!

I have a nagging feeling that Tyus will have a Duke career
similar to Adam Boone with NC Tar Heels.

He might be over his head out there in the ACC and he will be trying to transfer back to the Gophers after 2 years in an attempt to salvage his career.

Adam Boone and Tyus are/were good kids outside of basketball too.
And I think Tyus is better than Boone on the court, but i just have a feeling the ACC will prove too tough for him and he'll be looking to return home after that.

He might be over his head out there in the ACC and he will be trying to transfer back to the Gophers after 2 years in an attempt to salvage his career.

And I think Tyus is better than Boone on the court, but i just have a feeling the ACC will prove too tough for him and he'll be looking to return home after that.

No.

Would the B10 be too tough on Tyus then too?

I'll admit I was kind of f'ing around with my last two sentences, so if that is why you're rolling your eyes that's fine...I deserve it. But, I stand by my statement that he could "win" at Minnesota and he doesn't have to become a traveling mercenary to be successful.

Would the B10 be too tough on Tyus then too?

Big10 might be too tough especially if he goes elsewhere first and things dont pan out for him how he expects.

B10 was a tough conference for Boone after he came back from the ACC demoralized.

People focus too much on rankings.

I see a lot of similarities between the 2 players.
Although I think Tyus has a better basketball IQ than Boone and will probably have a slightly better and more consistant college career.

I think Duke will chew him up and spit him out.
He's better off choosing kansas or Baylor.

If that package goes to Baylor I'll be pissed. They have no fan support and their coach is an idiot.

I agree about the fan support, however. ...

I understand that Scott Drew has a rep for being (shall we say) a tad shady with regards to his recruiting methods, but respectfully I don't understand the amount of criticism he takes for his on-court results. Yes, Baylor was a disappointment last season when it failed to make the NCAA Tournament, but the bottom line is spanning the last four seasons Baylor has a NIT championship (2013) and a pair of NCAA Elite 8 appearances (2010, 2012).

For a program not named Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan State, North Carolina, Ohio State, or Syracuse, etc., I'd take those results in a heartbeat, minus any cheating, of course.

Top Bottom