Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solid timing lol

Heck yeah....got to get whatever run they can out of last nights win. Man it would be sweet if Tyus would decide to stick around. Not getting my hopes up but it would be awesome.

per Shooter:

Word is Minnesota junior prep basketball stars Tyus Jones, Rashad Vaughn and Reid Travis, all of whom the Gophers are recruiting in earnest, were impressed not only with the Gophers' victory over Indiana but especially with the spectators' exuberance when they rushed onto the Williams Arena floor to celebrate.

Gophers players also were impressed with the fans' display of excitement.

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_22687698/shooter-now-jack-hannahan-will-be-utility-player

Go Gophers!!

You mean players are impressed with beating top teams and jacked up fan atmosphere? Get outta here.....LOL

Kind of the, I'm taking my talents to South Beach act. The nature of the beast I guess.. The sense to me seems to have always been Tyus would be an impossible get. Bring on Vaughn and Travis. That would absolutely floor me.

To be honest. I had to look up who the guy was. I was hoping he wasn't a top 10 recruit so I could accuse him of leeching on the backs of Tyus and Okafor.

To my disappointment. He is indeed a top 10 recruit.

Has a Duke offer. Can I place bets on the 2015 National Champions yet?

I would bet the farm against them winning the national championship. If these two (or three) are so weak of mind that they are unable to chart their own course, there is no way they could withstand the mocking and ridicule that comes from playing for the most mocked and ridiculed, covertly racist team in the country. Do they really have to go to the bathroom together like teenage girls, or is it just speculation?

In my mind, Tubby shouldn't be

judged now on whether or not we get Tyus, he should be judged on who he gets instead of Tyus. the situation reminds me of Cory Joseph, Tubby put all of his eggs in 1 basket and lost out and had no backup plan. This time around with Tyus I hope they don't make the same mistake.

judged now on whether or not we get Tyus, he should be judged on who he gets instead of Tyus. the situation reminds me of Cory Joseph, Tubby put all of his eggs in 1 basket and lost out and had no backup plan. This time around with Tyus I hope they don't make the same mistake.

I'm pretty sure we are looking at another top 50 point guard out of Denver. Don't think all eggs are in one basket.

I have heard all these guys say that they're gonna play with Tyus in college but I have never heard Tyus say anything like that. When asked about he has said it would be cool to play with this player or that could be fun, but I have never heard him say yes I'm a package deal with this player. Has anyone actually read or heard Tyus say he is a package deal with any of these players?

There have been cases of players claiming that they were package deals in the past, that didn't end up that way. Twin brothers, yeah, usually end up going to the same school.

I would have said that there was a 60-70% chance that Tyus and Okafor were going to the same school, but that's only because Duke was recruiting them both. But toss in a 3rd guy? That has to decrease the chances of the 3 of them all ending up in the same place.

One thing that I hope all 3 of these young men take into consideration, is how long will all 3 of them be wherever they end up? Will Okafor go pro after 1 year, Jones after 2, and he other guy end up a 4 year player? It just makes it harder on the guys left behind after the first guy bolts. What if the 3 come in, expecting lots of playing time, and because they are the uber 3, they get it, but because they are only freshman, their inexperience hurts the team late in the season and costs them the Title? Then one or two of the 3 leave?! Now the players on the team who may not have appreciated all the favoritism shown to the uber 3, may not play so well with the leftover 1 or 2?!

Just saying.

Could the same dynamic happen if the Big 3 came to Minnesota?! I don't think its as likely. Seeing as so many of the players on the Gophers by the time they get here, would be Minnesota natives, or fully adopted sons of Minnesota, and since Minnesota is not a regular near the top, all the help the team can get, no matter who bring the help and from where, will be appreciated. Maybe I'm a big friggin homer, but I just don't think the dynamic would be the same.

I kind of hope we get the Big 3 with Okafor as well, and then wouldn't weep if Okafor went one and done but the other 3 stayed on for a 2nd year.

As for this 3rd guy added to the Jones/Okafor package? Could we fit 5 players in that class if somehow we got Reid and Vaughn first and because of that Jones was showing desire to come? Could we make it happen?! Any Senior bench players with a rich family who might opt out of his schollie his senior year for the good of the team?! lol

Or maybe, Tyus sees himself presented with 2 choices, be a part of a 3some headed to Duke, to be one of many great players to go there to win another one of the many Natl Titles they've won?

Or maybe go to Minnesota, as a part of a Mn native 3some that could bring not yet experienced glory and our first ever modern day Natl Title and then to be the greatest bb hero the state of Minnesota has ever seen?! lol, ok, maybe just a little over the top at the end there. :)

Quick question.

What would be better? A Top 10 recruit who sticks around just one year, or a Top 50 recruit who sticks around for 4?

interesting question, but not really applicable in this situation. Tyus is more than just a top 10 recruit because he's local. Tubby could swing and miss at the other 9 top ten, and most people would give him a pass. Tyus is the best player high school player to come out of Minn. since Al-Amin. If Tubby doesn't land him he'll be judged much more harshly than if he missed on anyone else. In general however. I'll take the top 50 for four years every time.

Curveball --

I agree with you, basically. Just trying to point out that if Tubby misses out on Tyus, and/or Vaughn, which I hope he doesn't, that if he got a different Top 50 recruit instead, it might end up being the more beneficial thing in the long run. Short term it would obviously be WAY less of an impact. Just trying to look at the positives for either scenario.

interesting question, but not really applicable in this situation. Tyus is more than just a top 10 recruit because he's local. Tubby could swing and miss at the other 9 top ten, and most people would give him a pass. Tyus is the best player high school player to come out of Minn. since Al-Amin. If Tubby doesn't land him he'll be judged much more harshly than if he missed on anyone else. In general however. I'll take the top 50 for four years every time.

This makes it sound like it is all on Tubby. Tubby is working his ass off to get this guy, and the other 2 of the Big 3. If Tubby does not land him, then it is the failure of all of the U of M for not having what any of these 3 are looking for.

What does Tubby need to land him/them? Keep making team showing like we did vs IU, and lots of under the table money? (sarcasm intended)

Dominique Collier is also a combo guard we are recruiting. He will easily crack the top 100 in the rankings.

I don't think it's even possible that Tyus could possibly not want to come here! I mean, if he comes...looks there's Travis and Vaughn and i'm pretty sure those three would be more than convincing enough for Okafor. Boom. If you're going to spend only one season playing college ball, working on your skills as one in a group of 4 ridiculously talented players sounds like the optimal way to develop your game.

Perkins seems like a really good player.

Tubby's challenge is convincing Perkins to wait until after Tyus commits somewhere to make his decision and that he Should go to MN where he is clearly the second choice (to the #1 recruit in the nation) over a school where he is their first choice. Not an easy thing to do.

I bet Tubby would take his commit immediately. Perkins could play some SG. Vaughn could play some SF, Travis could play the PF, and obviously Tyus could play PG. Tubby would get creative and open up a scholarship if something like that happened. Either Chip Armelin someone or maybe get lucky and have someone transfer. Either way I think Tubby would welcome Perkins if he wanted to commit today.

Maybe by the people who don't know much about the recruiting process. Of the big three, I think Tubby should get the least amount of criticism if Tyus goes somewhere else.

Maybe by the people who don't know much about the recruiting process. Of the big three, I think Tubby should get the least amount of criticism if Tyus goes somewhere else.
I tend to agree with you. I think that Vaughn is the one he has to land, IMO.

OUR BOYS NEED TO STAY HOME!!

Michigan State was great because Magic Johnson stayed home.
Michigan was great because the Fab 5 stayed home.
Neither would have been great if those players went elsewhere. If they had gone to Duke , Kentucky or North Carolina, they may have won a title but by now it would be so what.
By staying home they created a lasting legacy. Minnesota has probably never had a chance for homegrown boys to do something so special!
These boys need to take this and run with it. IT IS A SPECIAL OPPORTUNITY. This chance may never come again.
PLAYERS MAKE THE TEAM BOYS. You need to go for a Minnesota Team for the ages. I know the people of the State of Minnesota care, and deserve to see this.

Michigan State was great because Magic Johnson stayed home.
Michigan was great because the Fab 5 stayed home.
Neither would have been great if those players went elsewhere. If they had gone to Duke , Kentucky or North Carolina, they may have won a title but by now it would be so what.
By staying home they created a lasting legacy. Minnesota has probably never had a chance for homegrown boys to do something so special!
These boys need to take this and run with it. IT IS A SPECIAL OPPORTUNITY. This chance may never come again.
PLAYERS MAKE THE TEAM BOYS. You need to go for a Minnesota Team for the ages. I know the people of the State of Minnesota care, and deserve to see this.

Send this to their Twitters!!

per Shooter:

It still looks like Kentucky for Apple Valley's Tyus Jones, basketball insiders say. Meanwhile, word is North Carolina has moved in front for Cooper's Rashad Vaughn, who attended Saturday's Minnesota-Penn State game, and Michigan State could be a strong consideration for DeLaSalle's Reid Travis if he chooses basketball over football. All are juniors.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22706100/charley-walters-gophers-mike-rallis-eager-show-hes

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

It still looks like Kentucky for Apple Valley's Tyus Jones, basketball insiders say. Meanwhile, word is North Carolina has moved in front for Cooper's Rashad Vaughn, who attended Saturday's Minnesota-Penn State game, and Michigan State could be a strong consideration for DeLaSalle's Reid Travis if he chooses basketball over football. All are juniors.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22706100/charley-walters-gophers-mike-rallis-eager-show-hes

Go Gophers!!

If Shooter is correct, then Tubs is going to take a lot of heat. I put my money on him landing 1/3 - and than one being Vaughn...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom