Twins/Vikings/Wild/Wolves Championship appearance drought tracker

Win Twins!!
giphy.gif

Approaching the 5 Year Anniversary of this thread, remarkable.

As the 2022 Vikings enter the Playoffs, it is no doubt a positive to reach that stage for the first time since 2019. To put this to rest they will have to accomplish something that is unprecedented in franchise history:

Win 3 Playoff Games.

They have not won multiple post-season contests since January, 1988.

Last edited:

As the Vikings enter the Playoffs, it is no doubt a positive to reach that stage for the first time since 2019. To put this to rest they will have to accomplish something that is unprecedented in franchise history:

Win 3 Playoff Games.

giphy.gif

As the 2022 Vikings enter the Playoffs, it is no doubt a positive to reach that stage for the first time since 2019. To put this to rest they will have to accomplish something that is unprecedented in franchise history:

Win 3 Playoff Games.

And yet, that pales compared to not winning any at all since October 2004 while losing 18.....

Happy Anniversary?!?

January 9, 1977. Last time the Vikings were in the Super Bowl.

I thought it was the Vikings day when they blocked a Ray Guy punt. Then Brent McClanahan fumbled. Sigh.

Last edited:

Win 3 Playoff Games.

That's absolutely a pathetic stat, among many pathetic stats in this genre.

Will this be 117 combined seasons once the Vikes are bounced?

It's really difficult to get apples-to-apples comparison of markets, when you're doing it cumulatively and not normalizing for the number of major 4 pro sports franchises in the market.

(or for that matter, not including the additional seasons for markets that have more than one franchise in the market in the league)

There aren't many medium sized markets that have 4 pro teams (one in each league).
Medium: I'm drawing the line between Miami and Detroit https://www.iweblists.com/us/population/CombinedStatisticalAreaPop.html (note: this list is missing Tampa, should be #20 at 3.1M .... if you combine Tampa and Orlando it would be above 7M and therefore not medium)

And for some damn reason, those that do have tended to have more recent championship appearances

Detroit - Red Wings
(Seattle no longer has Supersonics, for now) - Seahawks
Phoenix - Cardinals, Suns
Denver - Broncos, Avs

Mpls - :(

It'll be the Wild. Only chance in hell.

We'll then get to be the same thing as Detroit. Whoopee

It'll be the Wild. Only chance in hell.

We'll then get to be the same thing as Detroit. Whoopee
The Tigers have been been to the World Series twice this century, as recently as 2012. The Pistons won it all in 2004. The Red Wings made it the Stanley Cup 3 times, and won twice, last one in 2008.

I definitely envy their pro sports success, even though the Lions haven't won a playoff game in 30 years.

The Tigers have been been to the World Series twice this century, as recently as 2012. The Pistons won it all in 2004. The Red Wings made it the Stanley Cup 3 times, and won twice, last one in 2008.

I definitely envy their pro sports success, even though the Lions haven't won a playoff game in 30 years.
Thanks for correcting me, I’m shocked at how relatively bad the Red Wings have been. Arguably the historic best US franchise.

I guess my point had been that - I thought - the NHL was their last championship appearance. Actually it’s he Tigers, from some sporadic, one-off seasons of greatness.

Thanks for correcting me, I’m shocked at how relatively bad the Red Wings have been. Arguably the historic best US franchise.

I guess my point had been that - I thought - the NHL was their last championship appearance. Actually it’s he Tigers, from some sporadic, one-off seasons of greatness.
Detroit was by no means a one -off success story. From 2006 - 2014 the Tigers were really formidable with I would say 3 sure fire HoFers, Verlander, Scherzer & Cabrera.

In addition to the 2 WS appearances, they made it to the Post Season 3 other times, plus lost Game 163 against the Twins in 2009.

Verlander (Astros) and Scherzer (Nationals) eventually did get World Series rings. The Mets are still banking they have something left in the tank.

Last edited:

Detroit was by no means a one -off success story. From 2006 - 2014 the Tigers were really formidable with I would say 3 sure fire HoFers, Verlander, Scherzer & Cabrera.

In addition to the 2 WS appearances, they made it to the Post Season 3 other times, plus lost Game 163 against the Twins in 2009.

Verlander (Astros) and Scherzer (Nationals) eventually did get World Series rings. The Mets are still banking they have something left in the tank.
OK, again I was wrong, to label their "success" sporadic. But on the other hand, the thread is championship appearances. So I should have said that their championship appearances in MLB are sporadic, for whatever reasons.

Since moving to the AL Central in 1998, they went to the World Series in 2006 and 2012, losing both times. The latter was Detroit market's last championship appearance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Detroit_Tigers_seasons

I mean really, if you shift back 30ish years from 2012 you could say a similar thing for the Twins, except we won both of ours and since joining the Central we've had a couple handfulls of playoff appearances.

I don't think(?) either the Pistons or Twolves are close. Vikings and Lions may seem like either close or in the right direction .... yet so, so far away ....

So for both markets, I would think NHL is the best chance for the next appearance, though I have no idea if the Red Wings are in a good position to break out of their six year slump of not even making the playoffs.

Seattle could be a new entrant if they get the SuperSonics back. That has to be in the works?? With the fresh arena. Kraken are 2nd year.

Seahawks went to the Super Bowl in 2005, 2013, and 2014. Mariners have never been to a World Series, but won the first round this year so maybe? I don't follow MLB much.

OK, again I was wrong, to label their "success" sporadic. But on the other hand, the thread is championship appearances. So I should have said that their championship appearances in MLB are sporadic, for whatever reasons.

Since moving to the AL Central in 1998, they went to the World Series in 2006 and 2012, losing both times. The latter was Detroit market's last championship appearance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Detroit_Tigers_seasons

I mean really, if you shift back 30ish years from 2012 you could say a similar thing for the Twins, except we won both of ours and since joining the Central we've had a couple handfulls of playoff appearances.

I don't think(?) either the Pistons or Twolves are close. Vikings and Lions may seem like either close or in the right direction .... yet so, so far away ....

So for both markets, I would think NHL is the best chance for the next appearance, though I have no idea if the Red Wings are in a good position to break out of their six year slump of not even making the playoffs.
Yes, I agree with that. In terms of future outlook for the 2 markets, pretty comparable.

The Red Wings are an interesting, in that I believe they set a North American record for most consecutive play off appearances (NHL-NBA-MLB-NFL) from 1991-2016, but now have missed 6 straight.

The other two, true medium size markets with all four major pro sports teams (again, I don't count a combined Tampa + Orlando, as that's over 7M people and thus not medium) -- Phoenix and Denver -- seem in good shape.

The other two, true medium size markets with all four major pro sports teams (again, I don't count a combined Tampa + Orlando, as that's over 7M people and thus not medium) -- Phoenix and Denver -- seem in good shape.
Not that it matters, but if you're willing to go 1.5 hours to pull Orlando into Tampa (which makes sense), Phoenix is close to $7 million with Tucson. The Denver area gets pretty massive when pulling in from that radius too (Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Boulder).

That stuff really doesn't take anything away from your point because so do MN teams. We get the entire state, most of the Dakotas and at least for the Vikings, we get parts of Montana. When they have a list of "market sizes" most of the cities on those lists run up against competition much quicker than the MN teams.

Not that it matters, but if you're willing to go 1.5 hours to pull Orlando into Tampa (which makes sense), Phoenix is close to $7 million with Tucson. The Denver area gets pretty massive when pulling in from that radius too (Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Boulder).

That stuff really doesn't take anything away from your point because so do MN teams. We get the entire state, most of the Dakotas and at least for the Vikings, we get parts of Montana. When they have a list of "market sizes" most of the cities on those lists run up against competition much quicker than the MN teams.
Fair point.

I was going by Combined Statistical Area, which are even larger than the usual Metropolitan Statisitcal Areas. I drew the line between "large" and "medium" between Miami and Detroit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area#List_of_Combined_Statistical_Areas

(Tampa doesn't show on the list because they technically are not included in any CSA)

There are single CSA's for the whole Bay Area and DC-Baltimore, for example.

But there are separate CSA or MSA for Tampa and Orlando. I didn't realize those two are as far apart as they are, so yeah it probably doesn't make sense to talk about them combined anyway.

When does the 30 for 30 get released?
There have already been books written haven't there? They clearly aren't updated with all the most recent failures

Why stop at 30 for 30...Could have MN Sports Failures be a daytime TV series with a new episode every day that lasts forever like Days of Our Lives.

Top Bottom