Twins/Vikings/Wild/Wolves Championship appearance drought tracker

I think it has to be Wolves or bust, at this point??
Vegas Insider has the Wolves (+3000 range) as more of a long shot than the Wild (+2000 range) to win respective Championships.

I didn't take the time to look up just getting to the Finals, which is premise of this thread.

Vegas Insider has the Wolves (+3000 range) as more of a long shot than the Wild (+2000 range) to win respective Championships.

I didn't take the time to look up just getting to the Finals, which is premise of this thread.
Fair enough. It’s just hard for me to take hockey seriously as a major sport. It’s like MLS to me.

We have to embrace our misery.
It's the car wreck you can't avert your eyes from.

I'm fascinated by the statistics of it. The probabilities start to get ridiculous now. If this thing gets to 200 seasons, the randomized chances against are in the hundreds of thousands to one. It's literally staggering.

Fair enough. It’s just hard for me to take hockey seriously as a major sport. It’s like MLS to me.
Without the NHL the streak would be much less impressive and not yet at the century marker.

After the Las Vegas Aces brought home the WNBA title last week, Las Vegas residents are left to ponder the age-old question (the one MN fans have had to ponder on several occasions).... "Does a WNBA World Champ even remotely constitute a 'real' Championship?

Not exactly the franchise that I thought would bring the Entertainment Capital of the World their first professional sports championship. Uggghhhh....

Without the NHL the streak would be much less impressive and not yet at the century marker.
Sure, but you'd have to take that away from all the other markets with NHL too.

We just happen to be a market with all four major pro leagues, and a relatively small one at that.

It's the car wreck you can't avert your eyes from.

I'm fascinated by the statistics of it. The probabilities start to get ridiculous now. If this thing gets to 200 seasons, the randomized chances against are in the hundreds of thousands to one. It's literally staggering.
Such randomization, of course, completely ignores the effect of inept ownership and/or ownership that behaves downright adversarially towards competitiveness (eg, for the sake of cost-saving).

And that ownership is absolutely out of control (well, almost ... NBA ...) of fans or anyone else. They get to own the team for as long as they want to, keep it in the family to continue the legacy of bad decisions, etc. Fans can't "vote out" the owners.

Sure, but you'd have to take that away from all the other markets with NHL too.

We just happen to be a market with all four major pro leagues, and a relatively small one at that.
I get your contention that the NHL is "niche" but it's far less so over the past few decades as they have entered so many markets south of St Louis. At one point the LA Kings were an enclave. Now Anaheim, the Bay Area, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Dallas, Nashville, Columbus, Miami, and Tampa have teams. It's truly national, not to mention Canada coast-to-coast.

I have seen several cities first hand celebrate runs to the Stanley Cup Finals on par or close to the NBA or MLB.

I get your contention that the NHL is "niche" but it's far less so over the past few decades as they have entered so many markets south of St Louis. At one point the LA Kings were an enclave. Now Anaheim, the Bay Area, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Dallas, Nashville, Columbus, Miami, and Tampa have teams. It's truly national, not to mention Canada coast-to-coast.

I have seen several cities first hand celebrate runs to the Stanley Cup Finals on par or close to the NBA or MLB.
No, don't get me wrong, you're exactly correct.

I was just saying how I "feel" about it. Not that that is correct.

After the Las Vegas Aces brought home the WNBA title last week, Las Vegas residents are left to ponder the age-old question (the one MN fans have had to ponder on several occasions).... "Does a WNBA World Champ even remotely constitute a 'real' Championship?

Not exactly the franchise that I thought would bring the Entertainment Capital of the World their first professional sports championship. Uggghhhh....
The reality is if you asked average Vegas sports fan if they'd rather the Aces win the title or the Raiders beat the Titans yesterday, most would pick the Raiders winning yesterday. Harsh, but probably true.

This announcement was actually premature. The Twins are still mathematically in the Wild Card hunt.

Could be over as soon as tonight. The dream is still alive!
Twins just need to win 9 straight! ANNDDD... the Mariners to lose 9 straight... ANNDDD... the Os to lose at least 6 more games.

The odds of this happening just might be better for this than the chance of a championship appearance drought of this length that is the subject of this thread!

Tony Liebert posted some videos on the home page of Coach Ben Johnson talking about the season's first practice. Johnson talked about getting over the mindset of here we go again when it comes to injuries. Johnson mentions needing to move past the lack of past success of local sports teams.

Winners do not focus on past failure but on goals ahead. Cited that winning programs need this attitude from coaches and players but also from fans and media. Love it!

Twins just need to win 9 straight! ANNDDD... the Mariners to lose 9 straight... ANNDDD... the Os to lose at least 6 more games.

The odds of this happening just might be better for this than the chance of a championship appearance drought of this length that is the subject of this thread!
"So you're telling me there's a chance!" - Lloyd Christmas

Twins win. M's lose. Still alive.

Such randomization, of course, completely ignores the effect of inept ownership and/or ownership that behaves downright adversarially towards competitiveness (eg, for the sake of cost-saving).

And that ownership is absolutely out of control (well, almost ... NBA ...) of fans or anyone else. They get to own the team for as long as they want to, keep it in the family to continue the legacy of bad decisions, etc. Fans can't "vote out" the owners.
The way that I'd put it is this: a group accomplishment like this doesn't happen without extraordinary individual efforts. In our case, the Timberwolves' being arguably the least successful pro sports franchise in pro sports history is the cornerstone of this streak. In a normal universe, the Twins' 18-game playoff losing streak would be the centerpiece of such a run, but even that doesn't eclipse the Timberwolves' contributions. But you have to hand it to the Vikings for a couple of really clutch performances, almost miraculously pulling defeat out of the jaws of victory in two conference title games. Without those, there is no streak. The Wild is just kind of there, making all the routine plays: the glue guy in all this.

Tony Liebert posted some videos on the home page of Coach Ben Johnson talking about the season's first practice. Johnson talked about getting over the mindset of here we go again when it comes to injuries. Johnson mentions needing to move past the lack of past success of local sports teams.

Winners do not focus on past failure but on goals ahead. Cited that winning programs need this attitude from coaches and players but also from fans and media. Love it!
...... what was he going to say??

"You know, it's Minnesota. We're going to lose. Fans just need to understand that. We have no shot."

The way that I'd put it is this: a group accomplishment like this doesn't happen without extraordinary individual efforts. In our case, the Timberwolves' being arguably the least successful pro sports franchise in pro sports history is the cornerstone of this streak. In a normal universe, the Twins' 18-game playoff losing streak would be the centerpiece of such a run, but even that doesn't eclipse the Timberwolves' contributions. But you have to hand it to the Vikings for a couple of really clutch performances, almost miraculously pulling defeat out of the jaws of victory in two conference title games. Without those, there is no streak. The Wild is just kind of there, making all the routine plays: the glue guy in all this.
You are referencing the Vikings losses to the Falcons & Saints.

The other 2 that were both blowouts (Giants & Eagles), the Vikes were slight FAVORITES against the spread.

You are referencing the Vikings losses to the Falcons & Saints.

The other 2 that were both blowouts (Giants & Eagles), the Vikes were slight FAVORITES against the spread.
They come through in all circumstances: home, road, favored, underdog, close games, blowouts, indoors, outdoors; they deliver!

We are in this together. All in.

Go Minnesota Sports!!

...... what was he going to say??

"You know, it's Minnesota. We're going to lose. Fans just need to understand that. We have no shot."
Johnson is simply trying to shake the loser mentality that's taken over sports fans in MN. Fleck had a similar rejoinder about not accepting the negative people who say that we can't do this or that.

I wonder if 'fans' of other institutions in MN have a similar 'woe is me' philosophy?

"The MN Institute of Arts will certainly screw up this exhibition about Monet in the hours before the opening... isn't that just like MN!"

"Target will surely pi55 down their legs again and have a bad quarter at the end of the fiscal year... we can't have anything nice here in MN!"

Top Bottom