Twins/Vikings/Wild/Wolves Championship appearance drought tracker

7 points back of the Kings with only 7 games to go for the 2nd Wild Card. Would also have to pass the Blues (3 pts back).
Put a fork in em

I’m seeing that PHX is about to no longer be the best pro market comparison to MSP (complete with separate arenas for NBA and NHL) @BleedGopher , and that SLC will be joining the ranks of two-team pro markets.

Winter Olympics likely to land Jazz and Coyotes (or new name?) a new combo arena. They’ll renovate Delta in the mean time.

I’m seeing that PHX is about to no longer be the best pro market comparison to MSP (complete with separate arenas for NBA and NHL) @BleedGopher , and that SLC will be joining the ranks of two-team pro markets.

Winter Olympics likely to land Jazz and Coyotes (or new name?) a new combo arena. They’ll renovate Delta in the mean time.

Weird situation with the Coyotes, moving to Utah but the Coyotes owner gets to keep the Coyotoes franchise name/rights, etc. and has 5 years to secure a new stadium and will be given an expansion team. He's bidding on a piece of land very close to our house that will include a new arena and a massive entertainment complex. Apparently he's the only one that is bidding on it so a team may be back here in 5 years, but not sure this market has an appetite for it.

Back to the streak, I saw on Twitter that if you include the NJ teams as part of NYC Metro Area, that they are at 110 combined seasons and growing fast given how many teams they have. Crazy to think that's true for NY market, but I didn't look into it enough to verify.

Go Gophers!!

Back to the streak, I saw on Twitter that if you include the NJ teams as part of NYC Metro Area, that they are at 110 combined seasons and growing fast given how many teams they have. Crazy to think that's true for NY market, but I didn't look into it enough to verify.

Go Gophers!!
Both the Rangers & Isles are still alive in the NHL, with the NYR in position for a #1 seed. Knicks also will be in the NBA Playoffs, but are injury depleted.

3 NHL, 2 NBA, 2 NFL, 2 MLB …. which is why the raw sum of seasons without an appearance is not a valid number to compare markets, unless you only compare markets with the same number of franchises

3 NHL, 2 NBA, 2 NFL, 2 MLB …. which is why the raw sum of seasons without an appearance is not a valid number to compare markets, unless you only compare markets with the same number of franchises
Why isn't it valid? 1 season = 1 season.

I can kinda see what you’re saying, but to be able to say things like “NYC has it way worse than MSP!” the total seasons must be normalized by divided by the number of franchises. Otherwise you can’t have a valid comparison.

I think if you're looking at it from fans standpoint, it's not the same. People aren't generally a fan of all NY teams. They're a fan of either the Mets or Yankees. Either the Jets or Giants. Either the Nets or Knicks. The Devils, Islanders or Rangers. If you pick one from each league to be a big fan of, no matter who it is, at least one of those teams will have made it to a championship more recently that when the Twins did in 1991.

This streak is resting better today because of what happened with the Wolves yesterday.
The Wolves never scared me. Better than 50/50 odds of another 1st round exit. Example A of why the NBA regular season is as meaningful as the NFL preseason.

The Wolves never scared me. Better than 50/50 odds of another 1st round exit. Example A of why the NBA regular season is as meaningful as the NFL preseason.
I think the Play In Tournament has dramatically improved the "importance" of the NBA Regular Season. It's why Phoenix fought so hard at the end to get the 6th Seed.

Two pretty good NBA West teams, capable of going to the NBA Finals, are going to get bounced before even making it to the 1st Round. Maybe the Kings are a stretch with their injury situation but at least 1 of the Lakers, Warriors & Pelicans are going to get bounced.

I think the Play In Tournament has dramatically improved the "importance" of the NBA Regular Season. It's why Phoenix fought so hard at the end to get the 6th Seed.

Two pretty good NBA West teams, capable of going to the NBA Finals, are going to get bounced before even making it to the 1st Round. Maybe the Kings are a stretch with their injury situation but at least 1 of the Lakers, Warriors & Pelicans are going to get bounced.
There can always be an exception, but generally, the teams playing for the 7-10 spots will not be title contenders, and the 1-3/4 teams all will, regardless of what order they finish in.

I think if you're looking at it from fans standpoint, it's not the same. People aren't generally a fan of all NY teams. They're a fan of either the Mets or Yankees. Either the Jets or Giants. Either the Nets or Knicks. The Devils, Islanders or Rangers. If you pick one from each league to be a big fan of, no matter who it is, at least one of those teams will have made it to a championship more recently that when the Twins did in 1991.
Ok, makes sense through that prism and if what MPLS was referring to.

There can always be an exception, but generally, the teams playing for the 7-10 spots will not be title contenders, and the 1-3/4 teams all will, regardless of what order they finish in.
Just last year though the Heat made it to the NBA Finals through the PlayIn and the Lakers to the Western Conference Finals.

In a short sample size, seems to be working. I expect the NHL to follow suit, perhaps in their next collective bargaining go around.

There's no way that number is accurate. The Mets played in the World Series in 2015.

Weird situation with the Coyotes, moving to Utah but the Coyotes owner gets to keep the Coyotoes franchise name/rights, etc. and has 5 years to secure a new stadium and will be given an expansion team. He's bidding on a piece of land very close to our house that will include a new arena and a massive entertainment complex. Apparently he's the only one that is bidding on it so a team may be back here in 5 years, but not sure this market has an appetite for it.

Go Gophers!!
There's no way that number is accurate. The Mets played in the World Series in 2015.
My hunch is the NY Streak is haven't WON a Championship, not just a Finals Appearance.

Just from eyeballing the number, feels like it would synch up with the Giants winning the Super Bowl following the 2011 Season.

EDIT - Also New York Rangers in 2014 and New Jersey Devils made the Stanley Cup Finals (but lost).

Last edited:

At 9 franchise seasons per year, it only takes them 8.88 years to get to 80 seasons.

It takes MSP 20 calendar years to get to that.

Ok, makes sense through that prism and if what MPLS was referring to.
The normalization I propose just gets you back to calendar years without a champ appearance.

So if your market has one franchise up to nine, it’s just total calendar years without some kind of champ appearance.

On the other hand I can see where if you’re treating franchise seasons as perfectly isolated, perfectly independent things then it does make sense to look at the total misery of the total sum.

And that independence assumption does seem quite reasonable when you’re talking about one to four completely separate sports/leagues.

Where it feels like that breaks down somewhat for me is when you start having multiple franchises in the same sport in one market.

The normalization I propose just gets you back to calendar years without a champ appearance.

So if your market has one franchise up to nine, it’s just total calendar years without some kind of champ appearance.

On the other hand I can see where if you’re treating franchise seasons as perfectly isolated, perfectly independent things then it does make sense to look at the total misery of the total sum.

And that independence assumption does seem quite reasonable when you’re talking about one to four completely separate sports/leagues.

Where it feels like that breaks down somewhat for me is when you start having multiple franchises in the same sport in one market.
Even within the sports, there are differences that can complicate it. For instance:

NFL & MLB - In New York the Giants (NFC) & Jets (AFC) are not competing with each other directly to get to the Super Bowl. In fact they could face each other. Same goes for the Yankees (AL) and Mets (NL), which has actually happened in 2000.

NBA & NHL - All the teams are in their respective Eastern Conferences, so occasionally they may knock each other out in the Conference Championship round or earlier.

Even within the sports, there are differences that can complicate it. For instance:

NFL & MLB - In New York the Giants (NFC) & Jets (AFC) are not competing with each other directly to get to the Super Bowl. In fact they could face each other. Same goes for the Yankees (AL) and Mets (NL), which has actually happened in 2000.

NBA & NHL - All the teams are in their respective Eastern Conferences, so occasionally they may knock each other out in the Conference Championship round or earlier.
MLB does play each other in the regular season, but probably not enough to solely knock one another out. NFL I’m sure they also play in regular but not every year.

Maybe this was addressed earlier in the thread, but is the season count really at 122? Shouldn't we NOT count the 1994 MLB season since there was no postseason? Yes the Twins sucked that year but they were not mathematically eliminated before the season was cancelled. If my count is off, I apologize.

Vikings: 33 (1991 thru 2023)
North Stars: 2 (1992-1993)
Wild: 23 (2001-2004, 2006-2024)
Timberwolves: 32 (1992-2023)
Twins: 31 (1992-1993, 1995-2023)

That puts my count at 121.

Top Bottom