Tweet: NYC bowl game, band gets 1 night housing then late flight home, arriving 2am to MN winter & closed dorms. The level of CHEAP is mind boggling.

I'm sure the band students will make the most of it and have a great time. Bowls in big cities are always kind of like this. I went to Nashville, El Paso, & Miami with the band. Miami sucked for a lot of the same reasons. Tough for a large group to navigate a meaningful trip on a budget. Nashville & El Paso were awesome because you had a lot more flexibility and things you could do without breaking the bank.

As for the food, pretty sure the band gets a per diem, at least we did when I was in the band. And it was PLENTY. Buy a cheap meal and spend the rest on beer.

Side story, I was in the band when we drove to Nashville, and there was a similar uproar about it. As a sign of solidarity, Maturi rode one of the band busses down. Always respected him for that. He flew back, though. One leg with the band was enough. :)

Poor poor Karen......the band isn't staying at the Hilton? :eek::eek::eek::eek:. Oh, the humanity. You mean the NYSE preferred PJ and Mo to ring the bell vs. the second chair trombone player? That's crazy.

The more she tweets, the dumber she gets. I was a scholarship baseball player in college. We bused to Texas for our spring trip. We stayed 4 to a room in sketchy Howard Johnson's. We ate McDonalds and brought our own spending money. We hopped on the bus after games and occasionally drove 6-8 hours to our next destination. And you know what? WE LOVED IT. Her sense of entitlement is disgusting. SMH

Wow. Settle down. How embarrassing for her child. I agree that this seems to be pretty poor treatment for a group of kids who are giving ALOT to the school and team, and in light of how much money the school gets for bowl games and all that the team is getting. We bused to Shreveport for the Independence Bowl - that was miserable, but we had a couple of days there and it was a fun trip. We got to fly to Memphis for the Liberty Bowl, and again had a couple of days to do fun things. I'm sorry this current band isn't getting such a fun experience. They deserve a reward for the time and hard work they've given to the team and school. But mom - honestly, it's just embarrassing.

My favorite is all the DCI mentions. Like anyone outside of bandos will get that reference. Plus, I can pretty much guarantee an overnight trip to NYC is a billion times better than a DCI trip. I never did DCI, but from what I've heard, those trips are ROUGH and gross. And you pay for everything yourself. Just more misguided outrage.

My favorite is all the DCI mentions. Like anyone outside of bandos will get that reference. Plus, I can pretty much guarantee an overnight trip to NYC is a billion times better than a DCI trip. I never did DCI, but from what I've heard, those trips are ROUGH and gross. And you pay for everything yourself. Just more misguided outrage.

I'll bite, what's DCI.....I have no clue what the eff she's talking about. I do find it a bit weird she thinks the band should get a week's worth of 5star treatment by the bowl. Does she think the U is paying for it?

EDIT: She is now onto tagging the news stations in town....

She's acting like the Band is rolling in money but not providing anything. They're not, so they are making what they have stretch as far as they can. If she believes the leadership could get more money from Athletics, that's her opinion, but she likely doesn't know what the communication or relationship between the band and athletics is.

When I was in band, there were times when going to the bowl game was in jeopardy depending on how much support we got from the Athletics Department, so yeah, I was happy to go even if it wasn't the glamorous experience she thinks it should be because the other option was not going.

If you're unhappy with the experience, your kid can opt not to go to future bowl games...

I'll bite, what's DCI.....I have no clue what the eff she's talking about. I do find it a bit weird she thinks the band should get a week's worth of 5star treatment by the bowl.

The one thing I do get is being dropped off at the U with no place to stay (for those in closed dorms).
Drum Corps International is what it stands for and it's competition marching band. Similar to high school marching they work on a single performance for many months and then go to competitions. It's quite impressive if you take a look at some of the winners from the past on YouTube.

Poor poor Karen......the band isn't staying at the Hilton? :eek::eek::eek::eek:. Oh, the humanity. You mean the NYSE preferred PJ and Mo to ring the bell vs. the second chair trombone player? That's crazy.

The more she tweets, the dumber she gets. I was a scholarship baseball player in college. We bused to Texas for our spring trip. We stayed 4 to a room in sketchy Howard Johnson's. We ate McDonalds and brought our own spending money. We hopped on the bus after games and occasionally drove 6-8 hours to our next destination. And you know what? WE LOVED IT. Her sense of entitlement is disgusting. SMH

So true. I played smaller college football and all but the starting seniors stayed 4 to a room on trips (and those guys were A LOT larger than most band members). The team bussed everywhere. The food sucked and we often paid for stuff on the side. We had a great time.

The entitled character Tweeting these things is the exact type of person that needs to go on trips like this and experience what normal "little people" experience.

I love the band. It enhances college football. But sorry, no one going to the Pinstripe is paying to see the band. It's definitively not being televised for the band. Plus, it's probably at least 4 times the size of the traveling football squad. A costly endeavor in NYC during the holidays. I was considering giving a small amount to the band a few days ago but this soured me on that notion.

Last edited:

As for the food, pretty sure the band gets a per diem, at least we did when I was in the band.
Wednesday:
Snack provided post-rehearsal and before the flight.
Per diem provided to pay for dinner.

Thursday:
Per diem provided to pay for breakfast.
Post rehearsal snack provided after rehearsal and before concessions open.
Per diem provided to pay for lunch in the stadium when concessions open.
Box meal provided for the bus trip to airport/flight.

A lot of them already do. The average PhD stipend is like $30,000 per year. That's more than most football players (I'd imagine) and that's directly from the school.
Not a particularly relevant comparison, since PhD students are university employees in fundamental ways that undergraduate band members and football players are not.

So true. I played smaller college football and all but the starting seniors stayed 4 to a room on trips (and those guys were A LOT larger than most band members). The team bussed everywhere. The food sucked and we often paid for stuff on the side. We had a great time.

The entitled character Tweeting these things is the exact type of person that needs to go on trips like this and experience what normal "little people" experience.

I love the band. It enhances college football. But sorry, no one going to the Pinstripe is paying to see the band. It's definitively not being televised for the band. Plus, it's probably at least 4 times the size of the traveling football squad. A costly endeavor in NYC during the holidays. I was considering giving a small amount to the band a few days ago but this soured me on that notion.
I played small college ball as well, she does't understand reality

Not a particularly relevant comparison, since PhD students are university employees in fundamental ways that undergraduate band members and football players are not.
The fundamental way is that they are getting paid by the university.

Can you imagine being this awful person's kid, knowing mom is throwing a temper tantrum like this all over the place? I would be so embarrassed and tell mom to just stop already.

I have a lot of love for the band and think they do a ton of work and put in lots of time to support the athletic programs, and probably don't get the recognition or support they deserve. That being said, this lady is off her rocker.
What is she going to say when she realizes the band won't be on TV because they'll be showing the studio halftime show?

Wednesday:
Snack provided post-rehearsal and before the flight.
Per diem provided to pay for dinner.

Thursday:
Per diem provided to pay for breakfast.
Post rehearsal snack provided after rehearsal and before concessions open.
Per diem provided to pay for lunch in the stadium when concessions open.
Box meal provided for the bus trip to airport/flight.
If this is true it seems more than generous. Guessing most kids will grab McDonald's or a slice of pizza for dinner and skip breakfast to enjoy the nightlife a bit more. Honestly, it'd be nice if they could've stayed another night, but this sounds like a fun time for a college kid. What do I know though...

Top Bottom