Tweet: NYC bowl game, band gets 1 night housing then late flight home, arriving 2am to MN winter & closed dorms. The level of CHEAP is mind boggling.

It's at Yankee Stadium because the Yankees ponied up the money to pay for it.
It was apparently a dream of George Steinbrenner to host a bowl game in NYC and that's how it came about.

It was apparently a dream of George Steinbrenner to host a bowl game in NYC and that's how it came about.
Yankee Stadium #1 was host to some pretty historic football games. The 1958 Colts/Giants NFL Championship was really a turning point for popularity professional football.

It also hosted 185 college games including many notable games involving Notre Dame and Army.

Yankee Stadium #1 was host to some pretty historic football games. The 1958 Colts/Giants NFL Championship was really a turning point for popularity professional football.

It also hosted 185 college games including many notable games involving Notre Dame and Army.

People don't realize that pre-merger, the Giants played at Yankee Stadium, the Bears at Wrigley, The Pats at Fenway, The Eagles at Shibe.

This despite that Soldier in Chicago and JFK in Philly were there and didn't have permanent tenants.

People don't realize that pre-merger, the Giants played at Yankee Stadium, the Bears at Wrigley, The Pats at Fenway, The Eagles at Shibe.

This despite that Soldier in Chicago and JFK in Philly were there and didn't have permanent tenants.
Yeah the mid70s when Yankee Stadium was being gutted and essentially rebuilt, the Giants had to make do at the Yale Bowl for a while and a few at Shea until Giants Stadium/The Meadowlands was ready. After that rebuild, Yankee Stadium didn't see much college action. I seem to remember Eddie Robinson taking Grambling there.

I had assumed the Eagles had made Franklin Field/Penn University their long time home, but they were only there 12 years before the Vet (1971). Before that it was Shibe Park for 18.

Last edited:

320 members the U would have to charter 2 planes… $100k or so per plane to do that…

It occurred to me that our kid’s five day middle school class trip to NYC and DC ran somewhere over $3k. I initially thought that was a little steep but figuring flights, hotels, transportation, inclusive meals, incidentals, guide and profit for tour company maybe not as bad as initially thought. NYC is expensive. My point is hosting many hundreds of staff, players, and band members (500+?) for a 4-5 day trip has to be a steep number. The line has to be set somewhere? Maybe the school can go hog wild for a high tier bowl should that occur.

Last edited:

It occurred to me that our kid’s five day middle school class trip to NYC and DC ran somewhere over $3k. I initially thought that was a little steep but figuring flights, hotels, transportation, inclusive meals, incidentals, guide and profit for tour company maybe not as bad as initially thought. NYC is expensive. My point is hosting many hundreds of staff, players, and band members (500+?) for a 4-5 day trip has to be a steep number. The line has to be set somewhere? Maybe the school can go hog wild for a high tier bowl should that occur.

3k for a 5 day a middle school domestic trip seems steep to me. You could send your kid on a trip to Germany or France on a high school 10 day trip for between 4000-4500 where I live

IMHO, the Athletic Department, the Music Department, the Band Donation Funds, and the Pinstripe Bowl should all chip in for the respective school's band. The band communities can fundraise for some of the cost.

This is part of the college football bowl experience. Expenses are high to send a large band contingent to NYC. They will work something out. There will be complainers.

I think the answer is somewhere in between. There's no need for a full 320 member marching band at the Pinstripe Bowl. The costs are very high, likely a lot higher than they would be for the football team itself.

Send a 30-50 member contingent of seniors and top performers so the Rouser can be played, there's entertainment for pre-game events, and the band is rewarded. Let them stay long enough that they can actually see the city for a couple days.
I think this is the answer

If the Pinstripe Bowl itself was on the hook for paying for both bands room and board, would they not be better off financially to bring in some rock / pop star to play at halftime instead?

Sometimes "Thank You" is the correct answer.

As a related aside, Kiddo has a friend from HS in the Band who indeed has expressed some dissatisfaction with the arrangements or lack thereof. Anecdotal at best but it's one data point that it's not only parents expressing "disappointment."

Seeing how my buddy and I attended the 1982 Sugar Bowl on a lark...literally at 10 PM on New Years Eve said "let's go to the game"...and then drove from Athens to New Orleans overnight...arrived around 10 AM, purchased two tix on Bourbon Street, and partied, went to the game, and then turned around for the drive back...not a dissimilar itinerary from the Pinstripe bowl in a couple of days.

Our trip was a flash but certainly fun. The same can be for the Band this time too if you just embrace the moment.

To me it sounds like a great opportunity and an experience they will all remember for a very, very long time. They are extremely fortunate to have the chance to participate in something like this.

This seems like a mother working too hard to impact her child's life.

Yeah the mid70s when Yankee Stadium was being gutted and essentially rebuilt, the Giants had to make do at the Yale Bowl for a while and a few at Shea until Giants Stadium/The Meadowlands was ready. After that rebuild, Yankee Stadium didn't see much college action. I seem to remember Eddie Robinson taking Grambling there.

I had assumed the Eagles had made Franklin Field/Penn University their long time home, but they were only there 12 years before the Vet (1971). Before that it was Shibe Park for 18.

JFK stadium looks a lot like Memorial Stadium did.

The NFL moving away from the old ballparks post-merger was because they mandated a minimum of 50,000 seats for any NFL stadium. I think Met Stadium was the last regular home of an NFL team that seated less (not counting temporary homes like the Chargers had in LA).

I mean the team usually flies back after the game as well so why should the band stay an extra night? After the Texas bowl in 2012 the football team/staff/families/etc. were stuck on the tarmac all night after the game (due to TSA not showing up) and didn't get back to Minneapolis until 7 am.

I love the atmosphere the band brings. You think some of the money could get sent that way. Kind of stinks that there are scholarships for guys with 400k a year NIL deals, but we scrimp to get the band there to play the rouser.
Band members can certainly work to attain $400k in NIL. NIL isn’t athlete only. Could see a promising engineer or chemist get paid.

3k for a 5 day a middle school domestic trip seems steep to me. You could send your kid on a trip to Germany or France on a high school 10 day trip for between 4000-4500 where I live
Have you met Emily in Paris?

Band members can certainly work to attain $400k in NIL. NIL isn’t athlete only. Could see a promising engineer or chemist get paid.
A lot of them already do. The average PhD stipend is like $30,000 per year. That's more than most football players (I'd imagine) and that's directly from the school.

They are also free to market themselves in any other way. There are people who do social media around math and certainly music that make a lot of money too.

A lot of them already do. The average PhD stipend is like $30,000 per year. That's more than most football players (I'd imagine) and that's directly from the school.

They are also free to market themselves in any other way. There are people who do social media around math and certainly music that make a lot of money too.
Exactly. That’s why NIL was necessary. It’s a bit too new to really understand how it will play out so I’ll reserve judgement for a while

My daughter went on a school trip to England it was about $4000. What was really cool was it was when the people voted on Brexit. I had her get several newspapers.

Top Bottom