Tweet: NYC bowl game, band gets 1 night housing then late flight home, arriving 2am to MN winter & closed dorms. The level of CHEAP is mind boggling.

Wednesday:
Snack provided post-rehearsal and before the flight.
Per diem provided to pay for dinner.

Thursday:
Per diem provided to pay for breakfast.
Post rehearsal snack provided after rehearsal and before concessions open.
Per diem provided to pay for lunch in the stadium when concessions open.
Box meal provided for the bus trip to airport/flight.
So I'm guessing Jodi's photo is the Wed pre-flight snack. Seems reasonable and not the "apple juice & yogurt for the next 30 hours" she's implying.

I could see PJ sending a van full of NY-style pizzas to the band's hotel tonight. Seems like he's done stuff like that in the past. Someone put a bug in his ear.

This Jodi needs to shut the F up. If I were her kid I would not even want to go on this trip as she is making an a$$ out of herself. How many students even get this trip even once? She is a world class loud mouth, mouth breather. It's a mostly free trip, as a college student I would have been excited for that even if it was a lot of travel, low budget, and short stay and not luxury. It's not like people pay tickets just to see the band as the main attraction. I like the band but she is way out of line on this one. Nobody begged your kid to join the band. Nobody is buying the tix to see the U of M band in NY in the cold.

So true. I played smaller college football and all but the starting seniors stayed 4 to a room on trips (and those guys were A LOT larger than most band members). The team bussed everywhere. The food sucked and we often paid for stuff on the side. We had a great time.

The entitled character Tweeting these things is the exact type of person that needs to go on trips like this and experience what normal "little people" experience.

I love the band. It enhances college football. But sorry, no one going to the Pinstripe is paying to see the band. It's definitively not being televised for the band. Plus, it's probably at least 4 times the size of the traveling football squad. A costly endeavor in NYC during the holidays. I was considering giving a small amount to the band a few days ago but this soured me on that notion.
Don't let her change your decision to make a donation, the band will be grateful for it. The time commitment those band members put in is pretty amazing, given they also have school and for many, a P/T job. It's a part of their college experience that sticks with them. You instantly have a large group of friends and a really cool shared experience. Fleck (and Kill before him) definitely appreciate the dedication, effort, and added value the band brings to the games. Same for Motzko and Johnson with the pep bands. This Mom is not doing her child any favors with these tweets.

After the initial tweet I had a bit of empathy for the Marching Band. The subsequent efforts have driven me to complete apathy.
It's a parent of a member of the band, not the band.

Wednesday:
Snack provided post-rehearsal and before the flight.
Per diem provided to pay for dinner.

Thursday:
Per diem provided to pay for breakfast.
Post rehearsal snack provided after rehearsal and before concessions open.
Per diem provided to pay for lunch in the stadium when concessions open.
Box meal provided for the bus trip to airport/flight.
If this is true, someone should call her out on it or call out her kid for lying. She's taken this to the news stations in town now too.

Don't let her change your decision to make a donation, the band will be grateful for it. The time commitment those band members put in is pretty amazing, given they also have school and for many, a P/T job. It's a part of their college experience that sticks with them. You instantly have a large group of friends and a really cool shared experience. Fleck (and Kill before him) definitely appreciate the dedication, effort, and added value the band brings to the games. Same for Motzko and Johnson with the pep bands. This Mom is not doing her child any favors with these tweets.

Words of wisdom. Thanks.

Dumb side story. A few years ago, I was golfing with a buddy at Columbia and got paired with a couple students in the marching band. At least one played the tuba, the coolest effing marching band instrument of all times IMO. Being the Gopher football fan, I grilled them on what it was like as we hacked around the course. Even though it was a lot of work, the kids conveyed how much they loved being in the band and how many great experiences and friendships were developed. It was one of my favorite golf outings. Needless to say, the kids didn't need to pay for any beers that day.

Words of wisdom. Thanks.

Dumb side story. A few years ago, I was golfing with a buddy at Columbia and got paired with a couple students in the marching band. At least one played the tuba, the coolest effing marching band instrument of all times IMO. Being the Gopher football fan, I grilled them on what it was like as we hacked around the course. Even though it was a lot of work, the kids conveyed how much they loved being in the band and how many great experiences and friendships were developed. It was one of my favorite golf outings. Needless to say, the kids didn't need to pay for any beers that day.
Good story. I was at a local taproom recently and opened a tab with my credit card. The beertender came back with my card and asked if by chance, did I have sons who were in the U's marching band. We chatted up the band a bit. He got a nice tip that night.

Dear band mom,
It's time to stop. Your kid is an adult now. If they want to fight it, let it be their fight.

Dear band mom's kid,
If you're reading this, be that adult and put your foot down now and tell mom to stop. I can think of a thousand other things worse than what you'll be doing these next two days.

It's a parent of a member of the band, not the band.
Yes, understood. Guilt by association (meaning that mom's complaints are falling on my deaf ears).

The band itself, I do appreciate all their efforts practicing and performing at games and any function they are apart of.

Last edited:

This lady is an embarrassment for the band and the university, no matter what we all realize is a helicopter parent gone off the deep end. I know band members put in a lot of time and effort, but this lady seems to think they're on the same footing as the actual football team that made the trip possible. Life is not fair. She apparently doesn't realize that, which speaks volumes about her. I'm sure her child could have skipped the trip if it's such a burden.

What this MNWISHinFL lady doesn't realize and that all of the bitching she is doing, she may be doing unintended damage. She may actually be making matters worse and lessoning the chances of future band students participation in these bowl type of events. There is a cost to all of this, especially with 300+ students and staff and the University isn't obligated to take everyone from the band. Nobody is forced or expected to attend.
The Bowls share the money with the conference and the Big 10 conference get's most of the revenue and sends back to the schools athletic departments on an equal basis. Like others have said the "Marching band" is not funded by U of M athletics, and they are not obligated to take the band to a bowl.
What is best for the entire group is bigger than "Well my one kid didn't get to tour New York City for 4 to 5 days for free, pissy attitude".

By putting the University, and UMN bands on blast and tweeting all over the place there is a good chance that "Rookies" and students participation will be more limited in the future season's due to rising cost and everything that comes with it around the holiday's. Honestly if I were another band parent I would tell her to her face to face to pipe it down, these opportunities are never a straight up given, and no guarantee in future years "all" will be allowed to participate let alone treated as equals.
Yeah they put in work and fan's like them at home games, the band, and all but like anything else this is a thank you for being here world but you are not 100% necessary to the event. There is a good chance they will start making this a "pep band" size group with all of the stink MNWISHinFL is trying to generate. I am a fan of the band at games, but this "band" parent is completely out of line. Have some common sense, there are a lot bigger things to be concerned about like rising tuition, than this type of thing. Or you know you could be at the schools that never get to do anything like this.

Last edited:

I'll bite, what's DCI.....I have no clue what the eff she's talking about. I do find it a bit weird she thinks the band should get a week's worth of 5star treatment by the bowl. Does she think the U is paying for it?

EDIT: She is now onto tagging the news stations in town....
DCI is the closest thing to professional marching band there is, although it's not professional - generally costs about $5k for the summer.

As someone who did a summer of DCI and a few bowl trips with the band, the two aren't comparable. DCI is about $50-75 a day, bowl trips are free (not counting tuition but for most of the band is above 13 credits so there's no incremental cost to do band). DCI travels by bus, sometimes 10+ hours a night, the band flies to most bowl trips. DCI members sleep on gym floors, the band gets hotels and usually decent ones for bowl trips. In DCI members get a few free days over the whole summer, every bowl trip I've been on has had significant free time.

Food is the only area where DCI is arguably better, they have commercial food trucks because they're on the road for 3 months. The band doesn't do that because they'd use it 2 days a year and have nowhere to park it outside hotels in big cities. On bowl trips you are either given 3 meals a day or given $20-25 per meal not provided so everyone is well fed unless they choose not to be.

DCI is the closest thing to professional marching band there is, although it's not professional - generally costs about $5k for the summer.

As someone who did a summer of DCI and a few bowl trips with the band, the two aren't comparable. DCI is about $50-75 a day, bowl trips are free (not counting tuition but for most of the band is above 13 credits so there's no incremental cost to do band). DCI travels by bus, sometimes 10+ hours a night, the band flies to most bowl trips. DCI members sleep on gym floors, the band gets hotels and usually decent ones for bowl trips. In DCI members get a few free days over the whole summer, every bowl trip I've been on has had significant free time.

Food is the only area where DCI is arguably better, they have commercial food trucks because they're on the road for 3 months. The band doesn't do that because they'd use it 2 days a year and have nowhere to park it outside hotels in big cities. On bowl trips you are either given 3 meals a day or given $20-25 per meal not provided so everyone is well fed unless they choose not to be.
I went on two marching band trips in high school. (I didn't have to march for football games because I played.) One was to the Macy's Parade, and that was a big deal, with a hotel etc. thought we had to sleep on the bus both ways. The other was to Winnipeg for a Bombers game, and yeah, we had to sleep on a gym floor. I can't possibly imagine doing that for three months. I never did summer band because I just hated all that bus travel and sleeping on floors.

So surprised to see Heli mom was misrepresenting what the school provided in terms of per diem. The kiddos will have to plan and adapt. My opinion, it will be good for them. Apparently the band is staying at The New Yorker. Dump? https://www.newyorkerhotel.com/

There’s a lot to unpack here. My unsolicited advice, cut the cord…

Poor poor Karen......the band isn't staying at the Hilton? :eek::eek::eek::eek:. Oh, the humanity. You mean the NYSE preferred PJ and Mo to ring the bell vs. the second chair trombone player? That's crazy.

The more she tweets, the dumber she gets. I was a scholarship baseball player in college. We bused to Texas for our spring trip. We stayed 4 to a room in sketchy Howard Johnson's. We ate McDonalds and brought our own spending money. We hopped on the bus after games and occasionally drove 6-8 hours to our next destination. And you know what? WE LOVED IT. Her sense of entitlement is disgusting. SMH
I want to buy you a beer!

Top Bottom