Tubby is out...who will be the next coach?

What are the chances his replacement is announced at 3:00? What are the chances it is announced this week? This month?

The longer it takes, the worse it will be. Get it done soon. If it takes more than a week, we are in trouble.

What are the chances his replacement is announced at 3:00? What are the chances it is announced this week? This month?

I would guess a contract and legal stuff would have to be done before they announce it and they can't do that this quickly.

I would guess a contract and legal stuff would have to be done before they announce it and they can't do that this quickly.

Didn't we have an agreement with Tubby without a contract for some time? Not sure the legal stuff is a barrier to an announcement.

I work in PR and would say no chance to the replacement being named at 3...A smart PR department would want the "hire" presser to be seperate to get maximum exposure. I would say the hire won't be made public until tomorrow or Wednesday.

Didn't Tubby take like 6-8 months to sign his original deal?

Where's Nadine with the scoop??? She did say her source says the replacement has already accepted the job...C'mon Nadine! Break it!

Didn't we have an agreement with Tubby without a contract for some time? Not sure the legal stuff is a barrier to an announcement.

Having an "agreement" normally means that some of the basic employment paperwork..ect. has been done already so at least they can say they hired him and he's an employee. But at this point it sounds like, from what we know, there is just a verbal agreement.

From a legal standpoint I think they'd want to have an official hiring done with a framework of the contract before they hold a presser for it.

It's semantics really but even before they announce an "agreement" they typically have a chunk of the legal stuff and contract in the works. That would probably take at least a couple of days to hammer out I would think.

Where's Nadine with the scoop??? She did say her source says the replacement has already accepted the job...C'mon Nadine! Break it!

I'm sure she will but a verbal isn't something to break a story on.

It's common for coaches to work with only an understanding of terms and no formal & finalized contract. Not only the ANNOUNCEMENT, but I'm talking actually working for months & months (Big Ten example this season would be John Groce).

If the Shaka at the airport rumors are true I guess they may wanna lock him up before another school (UCLA) swoops in with an amzing offer he can't refuse. Otherwise, I would be surprised to see the announcement made so fast.

It's common for coaches to work with only an understanding of terms and no formal & finalized contract. Not only the ANNOUNCEMENT, but I'm talking actually working for months & months (Big Ten example this season would be John Groce).

HR and legal council at universities is a biotch to deal with sometimes.

My one-and-a-half cents is this. Last time we were in a similar situation, we went with a guy who had some success in March from an unheralded school and we ended up with Dan Monson. I fear we will do the same thing if we hire Shaka Smart. Another "hot" choice who sounds logical and look at the results.

If it ends up being Flip, the boosters have won. If it ends up being Shaka Smart, Teague will have won. I don't care who it is as long as the Gophers win in the process.

Wow, I knew something was up when I log in and there are over 6,000 people viewing the board. I was torn on the decision to keep or fire him, but am glad a decision was made fast. Tubby is a good man and I hope he gets another shot somewhere else.

Can we all move on from the arguments about Tubby though? What's done is done now.

My thought on the bold part as well GII! Tough decision. Glad I didn't have to make it and glad it was made quickly.

My one-and-a-half cents is this. Last time we were in a similar situation, we went with a guy who had some success in March from an unheralded school and we ended up with Dan Monson. I fear we will do the same thing if we hire Shaka Smart. Another "hot" choice who sounds logical and look at the results.

If it ends up being Flip, the boosters have won. If it ends up being Shaka Smart, Teague will have won. I don't care who it is as long as the Gophers win in the process.

Shaka has had 3 solid seasons in a row. Shaka actually made it from the play in game to the Final 4. Shaka has a much higher profile than Monson ever did. Shaka is racially diverse and admired by African Americans. He has more buzz than Monson ever had. Shaka won't inherit probation.

Hiring Shaka doesn't scare me at all!

I have no interest in Howland.

The Florida Gulf Coast coach was also on that list. I like their style, but he seems like he could easily be more of a flash in the pan. I wouldn't mind seeing his wife walking around Williams Arena though.

+1000

Agreed! The Strib need to retire this guy out to the pasture.

I guess Nadine's source was wrong...no announcement on the new coach sounds imminent.

I don't think she said they'd be announcing it today did she?

Hahaha, ESPN1500 summed it up well, "we're gonna continue to monitor this conference in case Sid asks another question."

I don't think she said they'd be announcing it today did she?

I would think they will not announce until contract signed or at the very least solid assurances they can move forward.

Top Bottom