Tubby has lost this team--Tubby please resign or announce your retirement

1) Get a lead recruiter to replace Vince Taylor who is actually mentioned in interviews involving top recruits
2) Stop burying top recruits on the bench because they don't fit your style (i.e., they actually try to be aggressive). Hopefully, the Coleman minutes tonight are a trend in the right direction

1) Tubby landed Royce & Rodney, Devoe, had us in the Harrison Barnes sweepstakes, second to Mich St for Draymond Green & we were in it until the end for Corey Joseph, so we are being mentioned by top recruits. Landing them is another story. Posters who can't understand why we're not beating out Duke, UK, UNC & Mich St for recruits every year are delusional.

2) There's much more to not unleashing freshmen than you're admitting here. I really like Coleman & think he'll be a star for us, but have you watched him play D? I see no advantage to scoring 20 pts, if your opponent scores 25. No, aside from the rare one & done type super Frosh, most need time to learn the game. Beating people in High School because you're the superior athlete on a superior team is far different from knowing how to play play fundamental basketball & team defense in the B1G.

* In general, fans who're living & dying with each game will not enjoy this team. We're in a rebuilding year with 7 of our 10 man rotation being underclassmen. I have no expectations for this year except that they don't quit. I want to see some progress next year & if there's no Sweet-16 or better the year after, then I'm on board for a coaching change.

1) Tubby landed Royce & Rodney, Devoe, had us in the Harrison Barnes sweepstakes, second to Mich St for Draymond Green & we were in it until the end for Corey Joseph, so we are being mentioned by top recruits. Landing them is another story. Posters who can't understand why we're not beating out Duke, UK, UNC & Mich St for recruits every year are delusional.

True, but my point was that if Vince Taylor is supposedly the lead recruiter, I sure don't hear his name a lot in the interviews that are done with recruits.

Sorry but last time this quote happened we got Tim Brewster and we dont want that again.

True.. but college basketball is a little different in that you can be a great recruiter, but below average coach, and still be pretty successful . Football requires a bit more coaching, strategizing, and developing in my opinion. My case in point would be Rick Barnes

Signs that Tubby has lost the team....they did not play any defense. You don't have to be a big time recruit to play solid defense, it takes hussle, tenacity, hard work......Tubby has clearly lost this team..........

I thought the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# bag aka m2m had been banned for running too many sockpuppets.

:confused:

He hasn't lost them yet, well, maybe ralph but not the team. Guys were still hustling. If that stops though, then the wheel will really fall off.

How's Tubby's contract? I don't think firing him is necessarily the answer. We would probably end up paying for much of the rest of his contract, and recruiting would take a hit while the search is going on.

Don't worry, two anonymous recruits -- one from a small ass town in northern Wisconsin -- will swoop in and save the program, much like the instant impact players at Kentucky right now.

2) There's much more to not unleashing freshmen than you're admitting here. I really like Coleman & think he'll be a star for us, but have you watched him play D? I see no advantage to scoring 20 pts, if your opponent scores 25. No, aside from the rare one & done type super Frosh, most need time to learn the game. Beating people in High School because you're the superior athlete on a superior team is far different from knowing how to play play fundamental basketball & team defense in the B1G.

* In general, fans who're living & dying with each game will not enjoy this team. We're in a rebuilding year with 7 of our 10 man rotation being underclassmen. I have no expectations for this year except that they don't quit. I want to see some progress next year & if there's no Sweet-16 or better the year after, then I'm on board for a coaching change.

Agreed!

"Talented offensive recruits know his reputation as a coach who isn't going to let you display your skills." It's not the purpose of college ball to display your skills. It's important to contribute to team wins.

"Don't worry, two anonymous recruits -- one from a small ass town in northern Wisconsin -- will swoop in and save the program..." Oh, my, no! Don't recruit kids from small towns! Breuer, Olberding, and McHale proved that. Only big city kids from far away are good enough to help us.

Don't worry, two anonymous recruits -- one from a small ass town in northern Wisconsin -- will swoop in and save the program, much like the instant impact players at Kentucky right now.

you have obviously never seen the women of Rice Lake-- that is not a small ass town. Large or XL I would say.

just kidding Babes of RL

We need to remember that BigGopherFan resides in the thriving Metropolis of Rochester, Minnesota, the Hub of Western Civilization.

Has anyone said they would?

Have you ever seen either of them play? If Rodney leaves next year (which I hope doesn't happen) then the Ellenson kid will be the teams best athlete. Sure he will have a lot to learn and a ton of development but he is going to be an asset.

one from a small ass town in northern Wisconsin

What the hell does that have to do with anything? If you come from a small town, that means you can't be any good, right?

Where did Eric Decker come from?

Mike Miller?

Bobby Bell?

John Carlson (the Notre Dame one)?

Why can't we land the top recruits? Easy, because they know they'll fail in the Tubby system. The Tubby system is often times confusing. Be aggresive he says. Yet, if you make one bad decision, you're on the bench. This takes away from a player's confidence. I blame the coaching staff for Rodney's slow progress. Joe and Andre will go through the same thing too if Tubby doesn't change. I would have loved to see Joe, Trevor, Rodney all on the court at the same time, but the way Tubby did it... Team A sits, Team B goes in. And Tubby, instead of playing the most talented, he plays the guys he's most fond of.

Tubby will never take us beyond a first round loss in the Tourney. Sad to say, I don't see anything bright about the future either. Dre and Joe will be good, but under Tubby, they'll never be great. Do you think Corey Joseph would have gotten his NBA ticket if he would have come here? Why would Tyus and Vaughn come here?

Yes, it is only Tubby's fault we aren't landing top recruits. I mean, every other coach at Minnesota has been able to.

RolGnav said:
Why can't we land the top recruits? Easy, because they know they'll fail in the Tubby system. The Tubby system is often times confusing. Be aggresive he says. Yet, if you make one bad decision, you're on the bench. This takes away from a player's confidence. I blame the coaching staff for Rodney's slow progress. Joe and Andre will go through the same thing too if Tubby doesn't change. I would have loved to see Joe, Trevor, Rodney all on the court at the same time, but the way Tubby did it... Team A sits, Team B goes in. And Tubby, instead of playing the most talented, he plays the guys he's most fond of.

Tubby will never take us beyond a first round loss in the Tourney. Sad to say, I don't see anything bright about the future either. Dre and Joe will be good, but under Tubby, they'll never be great. Do you think Corey Joseph would have gotten his NBA ticket if he would have come here? Why would Tyus and Vaughn come here?

Rajon Rondo, Keith Bogans, Jodi Meeks, Nazr Muhammed, Jeff Sheppard, Scott Padgett, Wayne turner, jamaal magloire, Michael Bradley, tayshaun prince, Keith Bogans, Erik Daniels, Gerald Fitch, kelenna azubuike, chuck Hayes, Randolph Morris all NBA players coached by Tubby Smith, just at UK.

Yes, it is only Tubby's fault we aren't landing top recruits. I mean, every other coach at Minnesota has been able to.

So that's it. It's hopeless. Let's cash in our chips, no coach could ever recruit here or coach a winner here. Is that what you are saying?

The team seems to be in the same sort of downward spiral that it went into last year. Tubby couldn't pull them out of it last year. I'm looking for reasons to be optomistic that this year will be different, but I'm not finding any. I'll still support them, but it's hard to find any (realistic) cause for hope.

So that's it. It's hopeless. Let's cash in our chips, no coach could ever recruit here or coach a winner here. Is that what you are saying?
No, what I am saying is I find it ridiculous that everyone blames Tubby and only Tubby that we can't bring in the top recruits. Is it possible to bring them here? Yes. Is there more to it then just the coach? Of course.

No where in my comment did I say that he's failing to do what everyone else in MN does, did I? All I'm saying is there is no way a top recruit would come here, because of his style of coaching.

Rajon Rondo, Keith Bogans, Jodi Meeks, Nazr Muhammed, Jeff Sheppard, Scott Padgett, Wayne turner, jamaal magloire, Michael Bradley, tayshaun prince, Keith Bogans, Erik Daniels, Gerald Fitch, kelenna azubuike, chuck Hayes, Randolph Morris all NBA players coached by Tubby Smith, just at UK.

Were any of them a top recruit? Plus, Colonel Sanders could be the coach at Kentucky and they would still be able to recruit. The Kentucky name alone does it.

Tubby has been a 20 game winner for 17 consecutive years until last year. He has had numerous Sweet 16s, Elite 8s, and a Championship before the Gophers. Yes a rough ride now for a year or two but he'll bounce back.

There's only been one FF in 1997, yeah lost later, in the last 50 years and Clem the Gem despite a few class problems had put us back in the hunt even with a Elite 8 also. Now Tubby has led 4 teams to an NCAA berth, one of only 5 coaches, so even Coach K had a couple rough years.

Injuries, transfers, disgruntled recruits, bad luck, and etc have all been negative factors. Just be patient and see if a big run is made during the end of the conference this year. Tub has it in him, just waiting for it to come out.

Right now the Gophers are 24th in the nation in assists per game, and despite some poor shooting is still 53rd nationally in FG %. Just patience....

Were any of them a top recruit?

Rajon Rondo - McD All-American, Rivals 5-star, #21 overall on Recruiting Services Composite Index (RSCI)
Keith Bogans - McD All-American, #2 overall RSCI
Jodie Meeks - Rivals 4-star, #39 overall Rivals, #57 overall RSCI
Tayshaun Prince - McD All-American, #12 overall RSCI
Kelenna Azubuike - Rivals 4-star, #31 overall RSCI
Chuck Hayes - #46 overall RSCI, #25 overall Dave Telep
Randolph Morris - McD All-American, Rivals 5-star, #10 overall Rivals, #10 overall RSCI

Other future NBA player recruited by Smith at Kentucky, not mentioned by scher:

Joe Crawford - McD All-American, Rivals 5-star, #9 overall Rivals, #14 overall RSCI

Plus, Colonel Sanders could be the coach at Kentucky and they would still be able to recruit. The Kentucky name alone does it.

So, Tubby gets no credit for living up to the Kentucky standard? He also gets no credit for coaching them to a national championship, and coaching them to several other SEC championships and deep tournament runs. The players all recruited and coached themselves. Got it.

Lol if by the past you mean 2 years in the future, at the least. You're delusional.

zambam...you need to learn to ignore m2s and his *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. He is tied in popularity on GH with Art V.

BS; Go Gophers! Great win today with team that it gave a great effort from a great coach that never lost this team.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom