Trey Potts - UPDATED With Statement from the U

Not upset at all.

And you are capable of understanding that the world isn't binary, correct? That it's possible for both "you don't have the right to know" and "I'm going to share it with you anyway" to be true at the same time, and to varying degrees, correct?

Nope
Yes. I get it. That makes total sense.

I also get you're not upset that they wont disclose information about the health of a student, because you haven't said directly or in precise words that you have a right to know.

And I get that you'll keep posting about it even though, as you say, you're not upset and don't feel like you have a right to know, as one does about information they don't feel entitled to.

Totally. You win. Checkmate. I concede defeat!

Yes. I get it. That makes total sense.

I also get you're not upset that they wont disclose information about the health of a student, because you haven't said directly or in precise words that you have a right to know.

And I get that you'll keep posting about it even though, as you say, you're not upset and don't feel like you have a right to know, as one does about information they don't feel entitled to.

Totally. You win. Checkmate. I concede defeat!
I used to see this with Dpo. He would just grind over the smallest of typos or syntax errors. Like quickly typing HIPAA as HIPPO or HIPPA.

I used to see this with Dpo. He would just grind over the smallest of typos or syntax errors. Like quickly typing HIPAA as HIPPO or HIPPA.
HIPAA-HIPPO.jpg

I hear what you're saying, but "science" is simply the process that got them to the treatment. I think humans using science might be one of the things that make us human. "This sharp stick works better to catch rabbits than the dull one" is science.

I think you could make a strong argument (IMO the strongest) that it's impossible to have a pre-science human history. By the time we were bloodletting, it was certainly backed by the science of their day. They came to the wrong conclusions (mostly), but it was still backed by science.
I guess I wouldn't say bloodletting was science because they were not gathering data to see if it actually worked and they had no evidence it actually worked (turns out, it was quite the opposite). There was no experimental control, systematic testing, etc. They were basically guessing based off of no real data or knowledge. The Greek philosopher Democritus guessed that atoms might exist. Turns out he guessed right, but he was just guessing - he had no evidence. That's philosophy, not science.

Anyway, don't need to get into a debate of philosophy vs science.

Either way, I wish Trey a speedy recovery and trust that the many medical advancements made via science in the last 100 years will get him and keep him healthy.

The U said Trey was recovering from an "ailment," not an "injury." Make what you will of that.
Interesting choice of words...wonder how careful they were in choosing that word.
From the dictionary definition of ailment: an illness, typically a minor one.

Not at all correct.

A school athletic department that employs a trainer and/or team physician is not a covered entity under HIPAA.

Once a trainer or team physician tells, for example, Coyle what the deal is, none of Coyle himself, any coach he then tells, nor the U of Minn itself, is then covered under HIPAA and legally forbidden from sharing that information. That's not what the law was designed to do, and it does not do any such thing.

They can of course simply choose to not share the info, and claim privacy as the reason. I have no doubt they'll do this in some form. But they are not legally obligated to do so, at least under HIPAA.
I thought once Potts was transported to the hospital, HIPAA applies to the hospital. Can they release stuff to the U without permission?

I thought once Potts was transported to the hospital, HIPAA applies to the hospital. Can they release stuff to the U without permission?
Right, HIPAA applies to the hospital. They can't release their medical records of Potts medical treatments at the facility without his approval.

But if a doctor comes up to Coyle and/or the team physician and gives them the low down ... neither the physician nor Coyle are covered by HIPAA. They could rely what they know to whomever they want, including the media -- again, at least as far as HIPAA is concerned. Very possibly there are U of Minn rules about student privacy that could come into play.

I guess I wouldn't say bloodletting was science because they were not gathering data to see if it actually worked and they had no evidence it actually worked (turns out, it was quite the opposite). There was no experimental control, systematic testing, etc. They were basically guessing based off of no real data or knowledge. The Greek philosopher Democritus guessed that atoms might exist. Turns out he guessed right, but he was just guessing - he had no evidence. That's philosophy, not science.

Anyway, don't need to get into a debate of philosophy vs science.

Either way, I wish Trey a speedy recovery and trust that the many medical advancements made via science in the last 100 years will get him and keep him healthy.

This isn't true. There is actually a ton of stuff written by Galen where he pushes ideas of bloodletting, shows data and makes a case for bloodletting as almost a cure all. In hindsight, the data was either BS, merely showed coincidences, and was often times just statistical noise. However, he was blinded by his bias into coming into false conclusions. This doesn't mean it wasn't science, it just means he came to the wrong conclusion. He had critics at the time who strongly disagreed with him (of course using scientific reasons for disagreeing (their reasons were almost always wrong but they got the right conclusion)). This exact same issue is happening every day and will continue to happen in perpetuity while discovering the world around us.

The process by which we try to understand our natural world is science, regardless of its accuracy and regardless of whether or not you came to the right conclusion. We actually know very little about outerspace right now, that doesn't mean that scientists aren't studying it (and likely wrong about most of it). We will also continue to improve the scientific method

The process by which we try to understand our natural world is science
Valid to say this now, when we have a formal process for testing ideas about it, and have many expert people who specialize in said testing.

Not valid to claim this for times and idea before which the scientific method even existed. :rolleyes:

well, since this thread is already off the rails (leeches.......)

on the one hand, Trey Potts is a person and a college student, and in that sense, no one has a "right" to know about his personal medical situation.

But, on the other hand, Trey Potts is a key member of a college FB team - a team that plays on national television - a team that routinely draws 40,000 people or more to its games, and a team that generates millions of $$ in ticket and TV revenue.

Potts' injury - and availability - impacts that team. as such, his condition is "news" and there is going to be - understandably - a great deal of curiosity over his situation.

From that perspective, one could suggest that the Gopher FB program should - with permission of the family - release as much information as possible without violating any medical privilege.

Or - the short version - they don't "have" to tell us anything - but they can certainly choose to tell us something. and if they don't tell us anything, that most definitely is a choice.

Why would they use leeches to treat Pott's ailment?

I was worried about Trey Potts, but now all I can think about is Galen and Democritus and leeches.

This isn't true. There is actually a ton of stuff written by Galen where he pushes ideas of bloodletting, shows data and makes a case for bloodletting as almost a cure all. In hindsight, the data was either BS, merely showed coincidences, and was often times just statistical noise. However, he was blinded by his bias into coming into false conclusions. This doesn't mean it wasn't science, it just means he came to the wrong conclusion. He had critics at the time who strongly disagreed with him (of course using scientific reasons for disagreeing (their reasons were almost always wrong but they got the right conclusion)). This exact same issue is happening every day and will continue to happen in perpetuity while discovering the world around us.

The process by which we try to understand our natural world is science, regardless of its accuracy and regardless of whether or not you came to the right conclusion. We actually know very little about outerspace right now, that doesn't mean that scientists aren't studying it (and likely wrong about most of it). We will also continue to improve the scientific method

Still common. We are prone to choose to believe what we want to believe, even in the absence of data or the existence of conflicting data. On evolution and Homer as the missing link:

Last edited:

Right, HIPAA applies to the hospital. They can't release their medical records of Potts medical treatments at the facility without his approval.

But if a doctor comes up to Coyle and/or the team physician and gives them the low down ... neither the physician nor Coyle are covered by HIPAA. They could rely what they know to whomever they want, including the media -- again, at least as far as HIPAA is concerned. Very possibly there are U of Minn rules about student privacy that could come into play.
HIPAA can apply to any institution that has access to medical information.

Man this thread really went off the rails fast. Gopher Nation's thoughts and prayers are with you Trey. Take the time that you need to get healthy so that you can enjoy life whether that includes playing football again or not.

Top Bottom