Trey Potts - UPDATED With Statement from the U

No.....it doesn't. It suggests that him having his jersey and pads on were making it more difficult to assess the situation....and that if he had to go to the hospital.....which he did.....those things were not going to be able to stay on.

Zero reason to suggest that this means they needed to defibrillate or that he was in cardiac arrest.
This is true. I had a serious neck injury playing college football and as soon as I got to the hospital they cut my jersey and pads off.

Sure, if "with the vaccine" means that the body's immune system's first time encountering sars2 proteins is from those produced by the cells near the injection site, as opposed to from ordinary infection. Otherwise, it's exactly the same thing.
No- what I’m saying is the incidence of troponin leak from the myocardium is more common in teens and young adults in our population after they have had the immunization than resultant from an actual infection.

They trusted the science of their day and ignored common sense. Millions of people died following those scientists.

I'm not saying that I'm not for trusting the scientists of the day (whatever that even means), but scurvy is not a great example of this leading you down a good road.
Trusting science means understanding science is wrong until they get it right...eventually. Using leeches to remove bad blood was an accepted scientific treatment for a period of time, too.

Trusting science means understanding science is wrong until they get it right...eventually. Using leeches to remove bad blood was an accepted scientific treatment for a period of time, too.
I would say leeches were accepted medical treatment. I don't think there was much science to back it up.

I would say leeches were accepted medical treatment. I don't think there was much science to back it up.
It was most certainly the science of its day. Imagine what current procedures used today will be proven wrong/ineffective in the next 100 years.

It was most certainly the science of its day. Imagine what current procedures used today will be proven wrong/ineffective in the next 100 years.
Don't want to bog down the thread with leech talk but leeches were used long before science as a practice was even around.

Since we're now a medical blog...

View attachment 14679
Not to cast aspersions on you BuildGopher ... but man I feel like the process of posting a screen shot of an article and not the actual article is sort of emblematic of how folks talk about medical things on the internet ;)

Don't want to bog down the thread with leech talk but leeches were used long before science as a practice was even around.
I hear what you're saying, but "science" is simply the process that got them to the treatment. I think humans using science might be one of the things that make us human. "This sharp stick works better to catch rabbits than the dull one" is science.

I think you could make a strong argument (IMO the strongest) that it's impossible to have a pre-science human history. By the time we were bloodletting, it was certainly backed by the science of their day. They came to the wrong conclusions (mostly), but it was still backed by science.

This is true. I had a serious neck injury playing college football and as soon as I got to the hospital they cut my jersey and pads off.

Has to come off somehow. Easier to cut it off rather than sit him up and struggle to get it off him. The jersey is not important. Nothing to look into there.

is more common in teens and young adults in our population after they have had the immunization than resultant from an actual infection.
Sure, raw numbers, because so many have had it (the vaccine) vs have been infected.

This thread is why I love and hate Gopherhole. Thanks you for those trying to pass along helpful information. Shame on the people who feel the need to tear apart every post. I have no problem if someone says based on my medical opinion, or based on my past experience or based on my watching "House" I think the diagnosis is this. Then I have no problem if someone wants to debate that, saying in my prof. experience of watching "ER" I think it may be this. Sure it is all reckless speculation, but that is what message board are about. As long as it does not offend, insult or belittle a player in any way i am fine with that.

However, taking 5 pages of a 9 page thread on whether anyone should or should not post anything is just silly. Its like saying we shouldn't post about a recruit and what they may or may not be thinking because they are an under 18 year old individual and their humanity should be protected. Sure the statement is true, but once again message boards are about threads of truth being passed along and passing along factual data once it arrives. My recommendation is enjoy the speculation and/or learn from it (as is the case of this thread) and if you think the speculation is wrong or misguided go there.
It's just the strange human urge to try to control other people. We all have it to some degree, but some more than others.

So any real info about what is going on with Trey?
It should be coming out very soon.

Just like we promptly got official information about what happened to Braelen Oliver last year.

Nothing makes Coyle and Fleck giggle more than withholding information from fans. Again, no one is saying that fans have any right to such information. They don't.

Not a single person in the thread has said that they have the right to know, or that the U has a duty to disclose anything.

Any other strawmen you plan on attacking?

No, no one has specifically said: "I have a right to know." But statements like...

Nothing makes Coyle and Fleck giggle more than withholding information from fans. Again, no one is saying that fans have any right to such information. They don't.

to my mind, imply a right to know. If you didn't have a right to know, then why would you not only perceive the lack of public information as "withholding" it, but also characterize this "withholding" as some kind of plot?

If I don't tell you how I felt about Dances With Wolves I'm not withholding that information from you because you don't have a right to know. If I have information that someone is going to rob you tonight, you probably have a right to know that and if I had knowledge of an imminent threat and I didn't disclose it I could be said to be "withholding" that information.

None of us has a right to know Mr. Potts's health status. Therefore they cannot be said to be withholding it from us. If Mr. Potts--a student and private citizen--or his family wish us to know, then they'll disclose that information when they're ready. It's certainly not Fleck's call. Or we can just wait until the next game.

It should be coming out very soon.

Just like we promptly got official information about what happened to Braelen Oliver last year.

Release from the U made it clear that updates would be released by the family.

I highly doubt Fleck or Coyle take any pleasure in withholding injury information from the public.

to my mind, imply a right to know.
I can't prevent you from making incorrect inferences.

If you didn't have a right to know, then why would you not only perceive the lack of public information as "withholding" it,
It was merely alluding to the factual situation of: i) they have the information, ii) they're under no legal obligation (at least under HIPAA) to keep quiet about it, and iii) they simply choosing not to share it.

That meets (particularly by the last bit) the simple definition of withholding.

but also characterize this "withholding" as some kind of plot?
I did no such thing. Silly.

Release from the U made it clear that updates would be released by the family.

I highly doubt Fleck or Coyle take any pleasure in withholding injury information from the public.
The University, with the permission of Potts and his family, will provide further updates when they are available.

(underlining emphasis mine)

The University, with the permission of Potts and his family, will provide further updates when they are available.

(underlining emphasis mine)
bold emphasis mine.

Yes, technically the U will be the one to put the information out there but the only information the U will be able to put out there is the information that Potts and his family allow them to release. Which is what I meant when I said that updates would be released by the family.

I can't prevent you from making incorrect inferences.

It was merely alluding to the factual situation of: i) they have the information, ii) they're under no legal obligation (at least under HIPAA) to keep quiet about it, and iii) they simply choosing not to share it.

That meets (particularly by the last bit) the simple definition of withholding.

I did no such thing. Silly.

Okay. If you don't have a right to know. Why do you seem so upset that they wont tell us? Do you get upset that people don't keep you in the know about everything? All injuries? They choose not to share lots of things they know. We all do. This isn't a problem unless they're not sharing something that they ought to be sharing.

What other student data should the U be keeping us up to date on?

You did do such a thing:

Implication being that not only are Coyle and Fleck withholding information that we have a right to know, but that they do so because it makes them feel good or turns them on or something, and that they're having a laugh at our expense. Sounds pretty sinister to me!

I hear what you're saying, but "science" is simply the process that got them to the treatment. I think humans using science might be one of the things that make us human. "This sharp stick works better to catch rabbits than the dull one" is science.
Way too broad of a generalization. You are assuming that we want to poke the rabbit with the stick. If I am looking to bludgeon the rabbit, sharpness does not matter.

If you don't have a right to know. Why do you seem so upset that they wont tell us?
Not upset at all.

And you are capable of understanding that the world isn't binary, correct? That it's possible for both "you don't have the right to know" and "I'm going to share it with you anyway" to be true at the same time, and to varying degrees, correct?

You did do such a thing:
Nope

Top Bottom