Trey Potts - UPDATED With Statement from the U

Put me down for scurvy.

I think we need players' parents to supply orange wedges at halftime. Somebody pass around a sign-up sheet.
Sorry, but I don’t see the humor in Potts injury.

He's not making fun of the injury. HopHead is making fun of all the Doctor Dentist's on GH trying to diagnose an injury like this with so little information.

Curious as to why his illness has not been disclosed.
What could it be that needs to be kept in the shadows?
You and everyone else are covered by Health information privacy laws. A school or place of business can't divulge your health concerns without permission.

He's not making fun of the injury. HopHead is making fun of all the Doctor Dentist's on GH trying to diagnose an injury like this with so little information.
Your speculation is entirely off base. With the amount of information we have gathered on Hop Head I don't know if we can definitely say anything with certainty about this drunk other than the fact he likes to stand during games.

Your speculation is entirely off base. With the amount of information we have gathered on Hop Head I don't know if we can definitely say anything with certainty about this drunk other than the fact he likes to stand during games.

Scurvy? Not too difficult to piece this puzzle together.

No.....it doesn't. It suggests that him having his jersey and pads on were making it more difficult to assess the situation....and that if he had to go to the hospital.....which he did.....those things were not going to be able to stay on.

Zero reason to suggest that this means they needed to defibrillate or that he was in cardiac arrest.
True. Possibly it means that they just needed to get his pads and jersey off, but that it was going to be too slow and/or risky to physically take it off the normal way (arms over head, then pads + jersey over the top). Wearing a neck brace might also fall in line with the risk park. Bruising/swelling to the spinal cord? Wild guess.

You and everyone else are covered by Health information privacy laws. A school or place of business can't divulge your health concerns without permission.
Not at all correct.

A school athletic department that employs a trainer and/or team physician is not a covered entity under HIPAA.

Once a trainer or team physician tells, for example, Coyle what the deal is, none of Coyle himself, any coach he then tells, nor the U of Minn itself, is then covered under HIPAA and legally forbidden from sharing that information. That's not what the law was designed to do, and it does not do any such thing.

They can of course simply choose to not share the info, and claim privacy as the reason. I have no doubt they'll do this in some form. But they are not legally obligated to do so, at least under HIPAA.

Curious as to why his illness has not been disclosed.
What could it be that needs to be kept in the shadows?

Maybe they are going to cut his scholarship (fire him) for the embarrassing win.

True. Possibly it means that they just needed to get his pads and jersey off, but that it was going to be too slow and/or risky to physically take it off the normal way (arms over head, then pads + jersey over the top). Wearing a neck brace might also fall in line with the risk park. Bruising/swelling to the spinal cord? Wild guess.

Right. Many players have their jerseys fitted really tight so that there is nothing to grab onto.....this holds especially true for running backs. Since Potts was clearly in rough shape.....the staff wasn't going to take unnecessary time and move him around in order to preserve the jersey. Easiest route is to cut that sucker off. I really don't think the jersey being cut off is anything to look into.

Not at all correct.

A school athletic department that employs a trainer and/or team physician is not a covered entity under HIPAA.

Once a trainer or team physician tells, for example, Coyle what the deal is, none of Coyle himself, any coach he then tells, nor the U of Minn itself, is then covered under HIPAA and legally forbidden from sharing that information. That's not what the law was designed to do, and it does not do any such thing.

They can of course simply choose to not share the info, and claim privacy as the reason. I have no doubt they'll do this in some form. But they are not legally obligated to do so, at least under HIPAA.
There are likely student privacy laws/policies that have nothing to do with HIPAA that prevent them from disclosing details if the student doesn't want them disclosed.

There are student privacy laws/policies that have nothing to do with HIPAA that prevent them from disclosing details if the student doesn't want them disclosed.
That could be a more likely reason. Would suspect that would be more like the details of a EOAA review/decision, or the reason for expulsion.

Nope. You're confused.

Myocarditis supposedly relates to the vaccine.

Ivermectin is supposed to treat the actual disease.

Poop humor relates to your unique comedic genius.
Our experience out here would agree that myocarditis in “kids” 21 and under is more common with the vaccine although still rare- and usually recover pretty quickly. We have seen a couple presumably related to the illness itself though.

more common with the vaccine although still rare
Sure, if "with the vaccine" means that the body's immune system's first time encountering sars2 proteins is from those produced by the cells near the injection site, as opposed to from ordinary infection. Otherwise, it's exactly the same thing.

Football for TP at this point is irrelevant. Just want him to recover for his future life endeavors. Prayers up for our guy.

Amen. X1000
Not a thread to break down our RB depth chart going forward.

Football for TP at this point is irrelevant. Just want him to recover for his future life endeavors. Prayers up for our guy.
I still feel like comments along these lines are way premature at this point. Obviously his health is priority #1 but there is simply no way of knowing right now what the short and/or long term impact of all this is going to be for him because we simply don't know what happened.

The fact that he went to the hospital means it was serious, we all get that, but the simple act of ending up in the hospital doesn't mean what happened is career ending or life altering.

This thread is why I love and hate Gopherhole. Thanks you for those trying to pass along helpful information. Shame on the people who feel the need to tear apart every post. I have no problem if someone says based on my medical opinion, or based on my past experience or based on my watching "House" I think the diagnosis is this. Then I have no problem if someone wants to debate that, saying in my prof. experience of watching "ER" I think it may be this. Sure it is all reckless speculation, but that is what message board are about. As long as it does not offend, insult or belittle a player in any way i am fine with that.

However, taking 5 pages of a 9 page thread on whether anyone should or should not post anything is just silly. Its like saying we shouldn't post about a recruit and what they may or may not be thinking because they are an under 18 year old individual and their humanity should be protected. Sure the statement is true, but once again message boards are about threads of truth being passed along and passing along factual data once it arrives. My recommendation is enjoy the speculation and/or learn from it (as is the case of this thread) and if you think the speculation is wrong or misguided go there.

Folks who think they have some kind of right, or that the U has some kind of duty to disclose, the health of a student (that's right), is goofy to me. It reminds me of the smarmy last line of the Tom Waits track "What's He Building in There?"

"we have RIGHT to know..."

Y'all's busybodies. We'll know when we're supposed to know.

Scurvy? Not too difficult to piece this puzzle together.
So, uhhh, I went to college with a guy that got scurvy in the late 90's. He worked at a Taco Bell all summer and ate nothing but their food. After the doctor diagnosed him with scurvy, he told him that one orange would have kept him from getting it. That's a 19yr old guy for you - completely oblivious to the realities if life.

That said, I hope that Potts is okay.

So, uhhh, I went to college with a guy that got scurvy in the late 90's. He worked at a Taco Bell all summer and ate nothing but their food. After the doctor diagnosed him with scurvy, he told him that one orange would have kept him from getting it. That's a 19yr old guy for you - completely oblivious to the realities if life.

That said, I hope that Potts is okay.
Quite sure Potts is eating what our nutrition folks are putting on his plate… I’m sure he does not have scurvy! 😜

Interesting read. They certainly trusted the science of their day. Not unlike us today.
They trusted the science of their day and ignored common sense. Millions of people died following those scientists.

I'm not saying that I'm not for trusting the scientists of the day (whatever that even means), but scurvy is not a great example of this leading you down a good road.

Top Bottom