Trey Potts - UPDATED With Statement from the U

I'll probably get crucified for passing speculation, but I've heard rumors of "internal bleeding" being a cause.

Bottom line, I just hope he turns out ok....

Last edited:

Football is a brutal sport. It sometimes amazes me how many people play it.

It's vicious.

I'll probably get crucified for passing speculation, but I've heard rumors of "internal bleeding" being a cause.

Bottom line, I just home he turns out ok....
Read the same on Strib article comment section

Cutting the shirt off suggests access was needed to defibrillate/ cardiac massage or to start an iv or both.

^^^

We know:
-Last run late in 4th quarter, looked strong, alert, balanced. The last hit was standard fare on tv angle. Looked fine, facial expression normal coming off field.
-TV footage a few minutes later shows him standing at yard marker with what appear to be two trainers in black shirts. Potts seemed to be watching the game action. One trainer appeared to be speaking to him, another had his hand grasped on the back of Pott‘s left arm, apparently supporting him.
-Replacement gopher states Potts was “carried” by many people into the tent, unclear if conscious or unconscious at this point. Stated many clinical personnel running around, tent torn down, Potts subsequently on gurney with jersey off and with neck brace, unconscious.
-Ambulance to hospital.

Given all the above SON shouldn’t be roasted for speculating the injury is likely going to keep Potts out for some time.
Nobody should get roasted for posting their opinion, I just don't really see what is gained by making wild guesses as to the long term implications of what happened to Potts when we have so little information to go on.

We know something serious happened with him that required him to be taken to the hospital, and we know that he is still there a few days later but according to the release is doing better.

Common sense would indicate that the short term outlook for Potts as it relates to this season doesn't seem real promising. But with so little concrete information it is impossible to really know how this is all going to play out.

So any speculation on what all this means for Potts going forward is premature at this point and is really just a wild guess with nothing factual to back it up.

Could be career ending, could be season ending, or he could come home in a few days, rest up during the bye week and be good to go for the Nebraska game. The reality is we have no clue until more information is released by the family or the University.

Is a neck brace part of that?
Obviously not but if he collapsed and hit his head, or complained of some neck discomfort etc it’s atypical for kids/young adults with similar histories to NOT be in a collar when they arrive in the ED.

After Abraham went down they were warned abouts Potts being fragile. I hope he's OK but if not do they have to rely on Morgan and if they have to how does that bode for the rest of the year?

After Abraham went down they were warned abouts Potts being fragile. I hope he's OK but if not do they have to rely on Morgan and if they have to how does that bode for the rest of the year?
No offense but being "fragile" doesn't exactly correlate here the way you're implying. This isn't a broken toe or finger. He was running hard late in the 4th. This appears to be something much more severe than your average football injury. Its not about him being "fragile".

Ruptured spleen?

Ruptured spleen?
Funny, that was my thought earlier today. Although there are many ways one can have a ruptured spleen, they often keep an eye on someone that has recently had mono because sometimes that will cause a spleen to become enlarged.

Funny, that was my thought earlier today. Although there are many ways one can have a ruptured spleen, they often keep an eye on someone that has recently had mono because sometimes that will cause a spleen to become enlarged.
Pure speculation obviously but it makes sense to me. Symptoms from Mayo:
  • Pain in the upper left abdomen
  • Tenderness when you touch the upper left abdomen
  • Left shoulder pain
  • Confusion, lightheadedness or dizziness
Left shoulder pain could explain the neck brace. Jersey off. Stretcher. It makes sense at least.

I just remember many years ago being told how dangerous it is for a player to play with an enlarged spleen. Back then the fear was if it did rupture, one might not make it to the OR in time.

Obviously not but if he collapsed and hit his head, or complained of some neck discomfort etc it’s atypical for kids/young adults with similar histories to NOT be in a collar when they arrive in the ED.
This is getting a bit out there theory wise with random diagnosis and additional theories tacked on to explain why things not consistent were done.

My initial reaction to your comment was aneurysm. A teammate's dad suffered one at a football game back in high school. I didn't see the initial incident as I was on the field at the time, but was later told there was a sudden onset of symptoms (dizzy, light sensitivity, disorientation) followed very shortly after by his collapse into unconsciousness. Fortunately he survived it, thanks to the quick response of standby EMS personnel who were onsite for the game. I do remember his head and neck being stabilized, which I believe is standard practice anytime a patient becomes unresponsive and there is suspected head, neck or spinal trauma going on.

Firefighter here i'm going say based on all the info provided so far, neurogenic or spinal shock. Neurogenic shock can occur within 30 mins of a spinal cord injury above the T5. so not always detected right away that explains why he didn't collapse tell after a few mins on the side line. usually treated with atropine which is an injection that @Replacement Gopher saw to treat bradycardia. Another thing that comes to mind that is similar is spinal shock. this happens after an acute spinal cord injury again key word "acute" which can create no blood flow and results in hypoxia which leads to paralysis. patient may regain movement if it was a compression "pinch" and relived. Now if he wasn't moving below the"injury" site if would be a complete transection. if he was moving this is a great sign and not a complete transection but i'm leading towards some type of spinal cord injury.
Again i'm not a doctor or paramedic this is all speculation

Is someone keeping a list of all speculated diagnosis here? Soon just about every ailment will have been thrown out there. Does the winner get a prize?

Is someone keeping a list of all speculated diagnosis here? Soon just about every ailment will have been thrown out there. Does the winner get a prize?
It is always interesting in cases like this to see all the theories that get tossed out there based on next to no information. So many people that seem sure they know what is going on, when there is really no possible way they can be sure of anything.

I mean in the end someone will end up having been right but it will be mostly based on a lucky guess.

Does it matter as far as the post goes?
This is a game and if you know a player is injury prone why would you risk his future by over working him? And yes having him carry 20+ times a game increases his risk of injury.

Top Bottom