Trey Lance: 'I would've thought that I was going to play quarterback at the University of Minnesota'

I'm not hear to cheer lead for Lance, but the amount of distortions and dis-information spouted on this site is crazy . . . i.e. "his only game this year was again a non-scholarship team".

Ah, no, Central Arkansas is a 63 scholarship team. And all the round 2,3,4 games in the FCS playoffs on are on ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC . . . but don't let the facts get in your way of a good story.
My mistake, I was thinking of Butler game 2 years ago, yes, Lance threw for mighty 150 yards, 50%, 2TD's, 1 int vs mighty central arkansas

So none of opening rounds were major stations, great, you agreed with what I said.

I think what it shows is good luck getting recruited out of Minnesota as a QB. You can be a top 10 NFL Draft with 1 year in a FCS program and still not get recruited in your state to play. I was talking to a guy yesterday from a small town who said their full back in HS was 6'4 250 and fast. He is going to school to be a diesel mechanic. These are the guys the Dakota teams are wining national titles with.
lol....you have had some good ones but this one may be one of your all time best.

Trey Lance is a super isolated incident...unless I am missing all these overlooked Minnesota kids tearing it up in the NFL or even high level division 1 schools.

And yes, there are lots of guys from this state who go to FCS programs and are very successful. Doesn't mean they would have had the same success if they were at the U, in fact they almost certainly would not have the same level of success. Yes, you can find a handful of examples of guys like Lance but those guys are the exception not the rule.

As for the 6'4" 250 lbs full back that was a burner. If he was good enough he should have walked on somewhere and proved everyone wrong. Gonna go out on a limb with the reality being he was probably not as special as the local guy at the barbershop thought he was....

Oh yeah, your bit about it being impossible to get recruited as a QB in Minnesota is just false, not going back through our roster but there are plenty of examples of guys from Minnesota that have played QB for the Gophers.

I think what it shows is good luck getting recruited out of Minnesota as a QB. You can be a top 10 NFL Draft with 1 year in a FCS program and still not get recruited in your state to play. I was talking to a guy yesterday from a small town who said their full back in HS was 6'4 250 and fast. He is going to school to be a diesel mechanic. These are the guys the Dakota teams are wining national titles with.
Well barely any teams use a fullback much these days. As for the qbs, that’s certainly false. We’ve had plenty through the years, we currently have Cole Kramer. We offered Suggs as well. Jacob Knuth is from just outside MN.

That Jacob Knuth looks good. Suggs could not beat Cold Spring in football, one heck of a BB player. Cole Kramer had no offers other then Drake and his grand dad was the AD for a while at the University, his cousin is a stud.

I hate NDSU more then anyone on this board. I still think
Trey Lance is by far a superior QB compared to Morgan, I cant think of one thing Morgan does better
I might agree with this. However morgan took care of business in 2019 (the only year Lance really played) and I’m not sure I would trade Morgan’s 2019 production for a chance to see what lance would’ve done the same season

What tool does Morgan have that’s better than Lances tools? None. Morgan made a lot of hay vs the bottom of the B1G with that 2019 schedule. Good thrower, but not next level.
The 2019 schedule underrated. They missed Ohio state. Not really much else. They played one of the big 3 in the East. The bottom 4 in 2019 were pretty even except Rutgers.
Medium schedule. Not easy schedule.

The 2019 schedule underrated. They missed Ohio state. Not really much else. They played one of the big 3 in the East. The bottom 4 in 2019 were pretty even except Rutgers.
Medium schedule. Not easy schedule.
Yeah, but take a look at this daunting schedule

Can you imagine gauntlet of delaware, uc davis, and illinois state

Yeah, but take a look at this daunting schedule

Can you imagine gauntlet of delaware, uc davis, and illinois state
You wonder if Herd even hears himself when he says Morgan's numbers were inflated because of playing the bottom of the Big Ten given that even the bottom of the Big Ten is far superior to pretty much every team on NDSU's schedule, especially in 2019.

Plus I don't hear anyone saying Lance is a bad player, he is just unproven at this point. As an NFL GM I would be really nervous about taking a risk on a guy with one year of FCS level starting experience. But someone will do it and maybe they will be rewarded for it.

That or Lance will end up being just another in a long long long line of first round QB busts.

Well barely any teams use a fullback much these days. As for the qbs, that’s certainly false. We’ve had plenty through the years, we currently have Cole Kramer. We offered Suggs as well. Jacob Knuth is from just outside MN.
Yep, Zack too. Mitch, Mankato Jesus, Moses Alipate, Adam Lueck, Adam Weber...

I was talking to a guy yesterday from a small town who said their full back in HS was 6'4 250 and fast. He is going to school to be a diesel mechanic. These are the guys the Dakota teams are wining national titles with.
Apparently not, because your friend down at the deli is claiming that this superman of an athlete couldn't even impress NDSU enough to offer him a scholarship.

Apparently not, because your friend down at the deli is claiming that this superman of an athlete couldn't even impress NDSU enough to offer him a scholarship.
Someone is gonna owe ndsu a fruit basket

Sounds like a potential walk-on blocking TE for Gophs, but don't think they have a degree to fit his desired profession.

Not for nothing, but diesel mechanics make a crazy amount of money. Not a bad profession to go into.
Maybe, but does he want to end up like Al Bundy someday? Reliving those glory days on the football field high school football field.

NDSU was a better program at the time than the Gophers when Lance was being recruited. I'd take any arguments on that. They get the absolute best out of everyone they recruit. I think they have one projected top-10 pick in Trey Lance and another projected 2nd-3rd round pick also in the upcoming draft. Churning out Wentz and now Lance...Maybe the Gophers and Fleck should take a look at hiring NDSU's OC as their QB coach. Tanner took a drastic step back in the Covid season. I hope the Gophers can resemble a program like NDSU, but in the BIG 10 under Fleck.

Not for nothing, but diesel mechanics make a crazy amount of money. Not a bad profession to go into.
Totally agree. Demand way outpaces supply in those types of technical professions.

Totally agree. Demand way outpaces supply in those types of technical professions.
hey, if you are a trained welder, you can get a d*mn good paying job just about anywhere.

I heard an ad on local radio the other day for a manufacturing business in SW MN. They were paying a $2,000 sign-on bonus for new hires. Two grand just to walk through the door. Makes me wish I had a real skill. All I know how to do is to push buttons and talk. (I work in radio....)

On Trey Lance - apparently there are rumors that Lance is dating - or attempting to date - Colin Cowherd's daughter.

who posts on instagram a lot and is not unattractive....

On Trey Lance - apparently there are rumors that Lance is dating - or attempting to date - Colin Cowherd's daughter.

who posts on instagram a lot and is not unattractive....
I looked them up, not a top 10 draft choice, they will have some nice linebackers together.

Kids always slip through the cracks, look at all the good players coming from fcs and lower lvls
Not true, players get developed at some programs and not others. Many P5 programs look at players differently an expect a level of development when they walk in the door. So no, it’s not a “slip through the crack” thing. Players that need development often don’t get it and sit a P5 programs, or are no selected in the first place. It’s about priorities, slipping? . . . I don’t agree with that. That 260 OL guy that ended up in the NFL didn’t slip, he went somewhere where they bring in those guys and work on that. Had he been 285, he might have gone P5.

Last edited:

Not true, players get developed at some programs and not others. Many P5 programs look at players differently an expect a level of development when they walk in the door. So no, it’s not a “slip through the crack” thing. Players that need development often don’t get it and sit a P5 programs, or are no selected in the first place. It’s about priorities, slipping? . . . I don’t agree with that. That 260 OL guy that ended up in the NFL didn’t slip, he went somewhere where they bring in those guys and work on that. Had he been 285, he might have gone P5.
Wow, this may actually be one of the first times I kind of find myself agreeing with something you posted. FCS and lower level D1 programs can afford to take on more "project" players. Guys who don't have it now but might develop into something in a few years.

Power 5 schools can afford to take some leaps on players as well but they have to be far more certain that player is going to pan out than they do at the lower levels.

FCS and conferences like the MAC thrive on finding those guys that are not quite big enough or don't quite fit the mold that the power 5 schools are looking for. A lot of times they strike gold by going that route.

Kill and Mason both tried the MAC recruiting strategy here and had varying levels of success doing it. Problem with recruiting that way is that there is a ceiling for how high the team can go and you have to be right almost all of the time in order to keep up with teams that are bringing in a better class of athlete.

Lance couldn’t have asked for a better situation to go to at SF. He’ll be able to play exactly like he did at NDSU. Will rarely have to win games with his arm.

hey, if you are a trained welder, you can get a d*mn good paying job just about anywhere.

I heard an ad on local radio the other day for a manufacturing business in SW MN. They were paying a $2,000 sign-on bonus for new hires. Two grand just to walk through the door. Makes me wish I had a real skill. All I know how to do is to push buttons and talk. (I work in radio....)

Ill take 2 grand

How big a kid was Lance in HS? He was listed at 190. Did he run track?

What tool does Morgan have that’s better than Lances tools? None. Morgan made a lot of hay vs the bottom of the B1G with that 2019 schedule. Good thrower, but not next level.

I don’t have a dog in this fight but I was curious when I heard he went so high over some pretty talented players - Lance does not look above average in accuracy in this reel from the 2020 central arkansas game. Rust? The advanced stats guys dinged his downfield accuracy vs any other recent high pick by a large margin. Accuracy is no longer the primo skill? Why was Fields relegated?

Did he look better across the middle and down the field in his other games? Do you think he’ll succeed in the NFL? I’m not sure I understand this pick, or in the first round, but I‘m not an NDSU fan.

Top Bottom