Trey Lance: 'I would've thought that I was going to play quarterback at the University of Minnesota'

This is the most ridiculous take I've ever read on this board. You have NO clue about Wentz's "character" nor that of "most NDSU players."
North Dakota has nothing to do with "the real world?!" Good gosh, I can't comprehend the absurdity of what you wrote.
While I think Wentz is one of the most overrated QBs in the NFL (if not the most), never heard of character issues.

While I think Wentz is one of the most overrated QBs in the NFL (if not the most), never heard of character issues.
There were rumblings of dysfunction and issues with wentz in eagles locker room

Whatever tools allowed him to throw for more yards, more TDs, higher Y/A, against D1 competition than Lance could muster on the D2 globetrotters.
Duluth and Mankato are DII in athletics, NDSU is DI, and a run first offense.

I hate NDSU more then anyone on this board. I still think
Trey Lance is by far a superior QB compared to Morgan, I cant think of one thing Morgan does better

Trey Lance is by far a superior QB compared to Morgan, I cant think of one thing Morgan does better
I guess we will see if he makes it in the nfl. Certainly didn’t have a far superior performance against SDSU, their only common opponent.

There is no doubt that Trey is a better athlete than Morgan. Trey is a dual threat guy whereas Morgan is a pass first QB.

An area where Morgan could have an advantage over Trey would be in reading defenses and decision making. But no way to know this for sure.

Clearly NFL teams are seeing things they like in Lance that makes them think he will succeed at the NFL level in spite of just one year of starting experience against FCS competition. Feels like a massive risk to invest a high pick and millions of dollars but some team is going to do it.

Just for fun I looked at Lance's 2019 against Morgan's (passing numbers only).
Lance - 192 comp - 287 att - 66.9% - 2786 yards - 28 TD - 0 INT in 16 games against FCS teams
Morgan - 210 comp - 318 att - 66% - 3253 yards - 30 TD - 7 INT - 13 games against FBS teams

There is no doubt that Trey is a better athlete than Morgan. Trey is a dual threat guy whereas Morgan is a pass first QB.

An area where Morgan could have an advantage over Trey would be in reading defenses and decision making. But no way to know this for sure.

Clearly NFL teams are seeing things they like in Lance that makes them think he will succeed at the NFL level in spite of just one year of starting experience against FCS competition. Feels like a massive risk to invest a high pick and millions of dollars but some team is going to do it.

Just for fun I looked at Lance's 2019 against Morgan's (passing numbers only).
Lance - 192 comp - 287 att - 66.9% - 2786 yards - 28 TD - 0 INT in 16 games against FCS teams
Morgan - 210 comp - 318 att - 66% - 3253 yards - 30 TD - 7 INT - 13 games against FBS teams
Not sure morgan is better at reading a defense because many of his throws are simplified rpo reads, lance runs a pro style offense running similar passing concepts and plays commonly run in the nfl. I think lance played a big role in checking protections and getting ndsu into the right plays where minneosta runs a lot of check with me plays

Level of competition matters.

Not sure morgan is better at reading a defense because many of his throws are simplified rpo reads, lance runs a pro style offense running similar passing concepts and plays commonly run in the nfl. I think lance played a big role in checking protections and getting ndsu into the right plays where minneosta runs a lot of check with me plays
Could certainly be right as there is no way to compare the two given the levels of competition.

Lance has all the physical tools to be a good/great QB in the NFL, the main unknown with him is going to be how he handles the jump in competition. Reading an FCS defense with very few high level athletes on it is very different than reading an NFL defense with elite players all over the field.

General consensus on him is that he needs to end up somewhere where he can take some time get acclimated to the NFL game. If he gets thrown out there on Day one is could be a disaster. Will be very interesting to see how it works out for him in the NFL.

Could certainly be right as there is no way to compare the two given the levels of competition.

Lance has all the physical tools to be a good/great QB in the NFL, the main unknown with him is going to be how he handles the jump in competition. Reading an FCS defense with very few high level athletes on it is very different than reading an NFL defense with elite players all over the field.

General consensus on him is that he needs to end up somewhere where he can take some time get acclimated to the NFL game. If he gets thrown out there on Day one is could be a disaster. Will be very interesting to see how it works out for him in the NFL.
‘All the physical tools.’ Oh this again.

Level of competition matters.
It like watching HS QB's there are guys throwing from thousands of yards against 2A competition. I find it interesting in Minnesota, the QB's that make it, their dads are the head coach and the team ditches the run and throws the ball Moorhead, Buffalo, Rosemount. On the other hand the teams with winning records like to play a 1950 offensive and run the ball Elk River, Lave view South, EP, TG in the past. A skill player in Minnesota is going to have a hard time getting recruited, especially from the out state.

Lance is the better QB and has NFL level athleticism, Lance's biggest asset was ability to run and running QB's even in modern NFL still need to show they can win the playing in the pocket.

I'm skeptical of Lance's NFL future as I said, boom or bust. His lone performance this year vs team with no scholarship players was iffy at best it's likely he ends up more like Mitch Trubisky than Mahomes

But on pure college level, yeah, I'd take lance

but here's the thing

Morgan worked out for Gophers, lead them to great season in 2019.

Lance won a title at NDSU and is going pro and will be top 10 (or even 5) pick

I don't see any losers in the above

I pay a little attention to NDSU because my nephew goes there and I have few friends who are NDSU fans, but rarely know what's going. I do find NDSU fans like @Herd pretty funny who so desperately want their team to be rivals of the gophers and yet pretends the gophers are beneath mighty NDSU.

Football is the most popular sport in America and FCS Playoffs with no other football competition still can't get airtime on major networks, outside of small number of fans, for most NDSU and FCS football isn't really relevant

‘All the physical tools.’ Oh this again.
Not sure where you are going with this but can guess based on your running commentary on the basketball board I assume you are trying to make this about race.

Lance has good size, speed, arm strength, and grades out well in the metrics the NFL is looking for in a QB. What he doesn't have is experience against high level competition as he only has one year as a starter at the FCS level.

So yeah, he has all the physical tools to be a good/great QB at the NFL level. He is also extremely unproven at this point with limited experience against low level competition.

Not sure where you are going with this but can guess based on your running commentary on the basketball board I assume you are trying to make this about race.

Lance has good size, speed, arm strength, and grades out well in the metrics the NFL is looking for in a QB. What he doesn't have is experience against high level competition as he only has one year as a starter at the FCS level.

So yeah, he has all the physical tools to be a good/great QB at the NFL level. He is also extremely unproven at this point with limited experience against low level competition.
not sure what he said as i have him on ignore, but it's also possible his on going quest to take digs at Leidner

he's a troll and not a very good one. At least @Herd is entertaining

Lance will need to throw in much tighter windows than at the FCS level
Level of competition does not matter at the d1 lvl, a good QB can come from any school even fcs. Windows will be smaller no matter what even for a p5 guy. D1 to the nfl is a completly different game thats why so many qbs fail.

Level of competition does not matter at the d1 lvl, a good QB can come from any school even fcs. Windows will be smaller no matter what even for a p5 guy. D1 to the nfl is a completly different game thats why so many qbs fail.
They can, but it makes it tougher to read his skill level. I just watched like a 15 minute highlight reel and only saw like maybe two passes where I was like okay a lot of guy probably can’t make that throw. The vast majority were extremely wide open guys. Like covering the tight end at all seemed like a foreign concept. Most passes were off some type of play action, the straight drops were basically all deep balls. I get a highlight reel isn’t going to show all the short and medium stuff, but curious how he handles things when guys are covered up better and his running ability is less of a threat.

Lance will need to throw in much tighter windows than at the FCS level
The windows will be tight for Lance, but it will be easy for Fields, Wilson and Jones? More quality entertainment and propaganda from Salzie! Youre he man, keep it coming. Lance's locker space going to be smaller too?

The windows will be tight for Lance, but it will be easy for Fields, Wilson and Jones? More quality entertainment and propaganda from Salzie! Youre he man, keep it coming. Lance's locker space going to be smaller too?
What’s goin on in here?

I just know that in 2019 Morgan made throws that very few college qbs make. Fit the ball into some pretty tight windows. I will admit I haven't scouted Lance but I'd be shocked if he would be making those same throws against D1 competition.

It'll be jump for them as well but FBS is >FCS. Those guys have faced numerous defenses with NFL talent, Lance has not. But by all means, feel free to post where I said that

Unless you think FCS is just as good as FBS

Never suggested otherwise, but if you don't think there is a difference from FCS to FBS in defense qb's play, I don't know what to tell you.

It like watching HS QB's there are guys throwing from thousands of yards against 2A competition. I find it interesting in Minnesota, the QB's that make it, their dads are the head coach and the team ditches the run and throws the ball Moorhead, Buffalo, Rosemount. On the other hand the teams with winning records like to play a 1950 offensive and run the ball Elk River, Lave view South, EP, TG in the past. A skill player in Minnesota is going to have a hard time getting recruited, especially from the out state.

Was reading an interview with Lance's HS Coach. he pointed out that Lance's SR year in HS, Marshall averaged over 50 points a game, so there were a number of games where the starters only played the first half. And, in a run-first offense, that meant Lance had games where he only attempted a handful of passes.

That does complicate things in terms of scouting and projecting his game to college.

All depends on what you want. If you want athletic ability, a guy like Lance is intriguing. If you value accuracy and don't want your QB running a lot, a guy like Morgan is probably a better fit.

i love the fact I've been pretty complimentary of Lance and agree he's better than Morgan, but because I'm not drooling over an FCS product as gods gift too football @Herd is insulted

Lance reminds me a lot of Josh Allen, the bills QB. Very similar strengths and weaknesses coming out of college.

Was reading an interview with Lance's HS Coach. he pointed out that Lance's SR year in HS, Marshall averaged over 50 points a game, so there were a number of games where the starters only played the first half. And, in a run-first offense, that meant Lance had games where he only attempted a handful of passes.

That does complicate things in terms of scouting and projecting his game to college.

All depends on what you want. If you want athletic ability, a guy like Lance is intriguing. If you value accuracy and don't want your QB running a lot, a guy like Morgan is probably a better fit.
Level of risk plays into it as well. For power 5 schools recruiting Lance, there would have been a ton of faith involved in recruiting him to be your QB. Assume this is why most of them were looking at him for a different position as it was clear he was a great athlete but he was super unproven as a QB at the high school level.

On the flip side it is much easier for NDSU to take the risk on a great athlete in the hopes that he pans out as a QB.

Level of risk plays into it as well. For power 5 schools recruiting Lance, there would have been a ton of faith involved in recruiting him to be your QB. Assume this is why most of them were looking at him for a different position as it was clear he was a great athlete but he was super unproven as a QB at the high school level.

On the flip side it is much easier for NDSU to take the risk on a great athlete in the hopes that he pans out as a QB.
Agreed. After the crap qb history kill and claeys left PJ with it forced PJ to be conservative re: qb.

I think what it shows is good luck getting recruited out of Minnesota as a QB. You can be a top 10 NFL Draft with 1 year in a FCS program and still not get recruited in your state to play. I was talking to a guy yesterday from a small town who said their full back in HS was 6'4 250 and fast. He is going to school to be a diesel mechanic. These are the guys the Dakota teams are wining national titles with.

I think what it shows is good luck getting recruited out of Minnesota as a QB. You can be a top 10 NFL Draft with 1 year in a FCS program and still not get recruited in your state to play. I was talking to a guy yesterday from a small town who said their full back in HS was 6'4 250 and fast. He is going to school to be a diesel mechanic. These are the guys the Dakota teams are wining national titles with.
*yawn*

Lance is the better QB and has NFL level athleticism, Lance's biggest asset was ability to run and running QB's even in modern NFL still need to show they can win the playing in the pocket.

I'm skeptical of Lance's NFL future as I said, boom or bust. His lone performance this year vs team with no scholarship players was iffy at best it's likely he ends up more like Mitch Trubisky than Mahomes

But on pure college level, yeah, I'd take lance

but here's the thing

Morgan worked out for Gophers, lead them to great season in 2019.

Lance won a title at NDSU and is going pro and will be top 10 (or even 5) pick

I don't see any losers in the above

I pay a little attention to NDSU because my nephew goes there and I have few friends who are NDSU fans, but rarely know what's going. I do find NDSU fans like @Herd pretty funny who so desperately want their team to be rivals of the gophers and yet pretends the gophers are beneath mighty NDSU.

Football is the most popular sport in America and FCS Playoffs with no other football competition still can't get airtime on major networks, outside of small number of fans, for most NDSU and FCS football isn't really relevant
I'm not hear to cheer lead for Lance, but the amount of distortions and dis-information spouted on this site is crazy . . . i.e. "his only game this year was again a non-scholarship team".

Ah, no, Central Arkansas is a 63 scholarship team. And all the round 2,3,4 games in the FCS playoffs on are on ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC . . . but don't let the facts get in your way of a good story.

Top Bottom