Trey Lance: 'I would've thought that I was going to play quarterback at the University of Minnesota'

Another discussion with one of my Crabby Old Acquaintances that hates Fleck and his yellow shoes, "sayings" (which I have come to understand means PJ's slogans, acronyms, etc.), and running up and down the sidelines.

COA: Your boy F'd up by not getting Lance what's his name here to play QB. He would have been way better than Leidner.
ME: Huh?...Leidner graduated years ago.
COA: Whoever that next QB was he would have been better than him.
ME: Which one?
COA: I can't think of his name right now.
ME: Taylor Morgan? (okay, now I'm messing with him...View attachment 12599)
COA: Ya. Him.

This is what I get to deal with sometimes.
I got one of those. If his life depended on it he couldn't name 3 players on the Gopher squad.

Lance was a starter for a little over one season at NDSU. He is still a big question mark. We have no idea how he would perform against varsity schools in college.

I'm not sure this is true. A quick look at NFL rosters via the NCAA site shows 13 Gophers on active rosters and 5 Bison.

EDIT: 9 Gophers
Not sure about the NCAA site but as far as Gophers currently signed to NFL contracts I count 12

Reminds me of the old phrase that used to get used 'only at the U!' (i haven't heard that one for a while) by haters to describe things that ... happen at a lot of places, they're just not paying attention.
My feelings as well. Trubisky was a top 10 prospect that only played 1 yr of P5 football much less FCS. That's going smoothly. It's kinda similar to Lance: from little experience to NFL top pick.

To me Lance is still an raw, undeveloped talent that has a higher chance of failing in the NFL than succeeding. However he will still get there and that's why everyone is mad. I, for one, am not mad.

sure, if you just want to say in hindsight it was a mistake I can live with that
I still don't think it is fair to call it a mistake. I don't recall his high school career but there must have been very little in it that gave any indication he would turn out to be the player he did since no power 5 school was looking at him as a QB. Out of high school he clearly wasn't worthy of a power 5 QB offer based on what everyone was seeing. So he decided to drop down to the FCS where he knew he would get the chance to play QB for sure and it worked out for him. But he still needed a year at NDSU before he saw the field so it isn't like he walked on campus there and dominated from day 1.

Will be interesting to see how his pro career goes. Some team is going to invest a first round pick in a guy with one great season of FCS football under his belt. That is a big investment to make in a guy who is really not that proven.

Best case scenario for him is probably going to a team that doesn't need him to start right away.

I would have to dig for Lance's HS stats, but Marshall is definitely a run-first program. They have had a lot of RB's put up big numbers. Several of their recent RB's have gone D2. (either a step slow or a little small for D1 consideration). So they usually have big leads and don't need to throw the ball much. You could see Lance's athletic ability playing hoops. Dude was smooth - one of those guys who never looked like they were running hard - just seemed to glide. His younger brother is similar - WR in FB and SG in hoops.

But a lot of people who evaluate college talent think Lance has a chance to be a big-time NFL player. The one question is accuracy. But his athletic ability, arm strength and smarts reportedly test really high. If a team is willing to take him and let him work on things for a couple of years, he really could be the steal of the draft.

I would have to dig for Lance's HS stats, but Marshall is definitely a run-first program. They have had a lot of RB's put up big numbers. Several of their recent RB's have gone D2. (either a step slow or a little small for D1 consideration). So they usually have big leads and don't need to throw the ball much. You could see Lance's athletic ability playing hoops. Dude was smooth - one of those guys who never looked like they were running hard - just seemed to glide. His younger brother is similar - WR in FB and SG in hoops.

But a lot of people who evaluate college talent think Lance has a chance to be a big-time NFL player. The one question is accuracy. But his athletic ability, arm strength and smarts reportedly test really high. If a team is willing to take him and let him work on things for a couple of years, he really could be the steal of the draft.
What does McShay say?

Wonder if things would've been different for him, recruiting wise, if he played for a major program in the Twin Cities?

I still don't think it is fair to call it a mistake. I don't recall his high school career but there must have been very little in it that gave any indication he would turn out to be the player he did since no power 5 school was looking at him as a QB. Out of high school he clearly wasn't worthy of a power 5 QB offer based on what everyone was seeing. So he decided to drop down to the FCS where he knew he would get the chance to play QB for sure and it worked out for him. But he still needed a year at NDSU before he saw the field so it isn't like he walked on campus there and dominated from day 1.

Will be interesting to see how his pro career goes. Some team is going to invest a first round pick in a guy with one great season of FCS football under his belt. That is a big investment to make in a guy who is really not that proven.

Best case scenario for him is probably going to a team that doesn't need him to start right away.
hence in hindsight, we're all experts in hindsight

I'm sure Fleck would get him at QB knowing what he knows now, but it didn't happen. Time to move on

I wish kid best in the NFL

I am not a big NDSU fan but definitely enjoy watching them if I can. This spring their team seems like a shell of what they've been, but if you ask yourself, what in the last ten years has shown that they can't compete in the big ten? Anything we come up with will be our opinion... depth, getting worn down, etc. The bottom line is they are putting guys in the NFL at a much faster rate than the U of M has. We can all go back and fourth on Wentz and if he hasn't gotten help or he just sucks... either way, I wish we could talk about weather a Gopher (yet alone a QB) was drafted #2 overall and if he lived up to the hype or not.
Depends on what you mean by compete, they wouldn't be a cakewalk but they wouldn't have been winning the B1GW either

I obviously can't "prove" it anymore than over zealous NDSU fan can prove they'd dominate the B1GW from the start.

But the level of play at B1G is much higher than summit league.

I'm not sure this is true. A quick look at NFL rosters via the NCAA site shows 13 Gophers on active rosters and 5 Bison.

EDIT: 9 Gophers
I didn't think his number as accurate, but wasn't going to look it up

NDSU has done better at QB and OL in NFL

i'd be happy if VIkings nabbed him, let him sit behind kirk for 2 years.....

i'd be happy if VIkings nabbed him, let him sit behind kirk for 2 years.....
dOkiixy.gif

Wonder if things would've been different for him, recruiting wise, if he played for a major program in the Twin Cities?
On day 1 everyone at NDSU said he would be a can’t miss star, similar to when Billy Turner showed up. Lance’s issue, lived outside the metro, that’s usually all it takes.

So far it appears that Wentz was a mere flash in a pan for Philadelphia.
This is just plain an odd take. If anyone thinks the book has been written and is closed on Wentz I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess they are sorely mistaken. I'd be shocked if he doesn't thrive in Indy with Reich again.

If we had Trevor Lawrence in 2019 ... I'm still not sure we make it to the Big Ten championship game, and then let alone if we beat Ohio State.

Would be an amazing dream come true. But I don't even think that one piece alone does it.
I think Lawrence wins that Iowa game and we’re in the B1G title game for sure.

The kid has talent. I wish him well. He would be a good fit behind Cousins.
I like the QB we have. He had a great season in 2019. He’ll have another chance this fall. No point in looking back. We probably missed on someone else also. This Gopher team has a lot of talent. theyll be fun to watch this fall.

This is just plain an odd take. If anyone thinks the book has been written and is closed on Wentz I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess they are sorely mistaken. I'd be shocked if he doesn't thrive in Indy with Reich again.
Wentz is and will be a failure simply based on character and ability. Same for most NDSU players. In for themselves, their future, and nothing more. You can hold such types together for maybe 4 years, but after that real life kicks in.

The real world is nowhere near North Dakota. Growing up is tough for perpetual juveniles.

“I’m Number One and therefore your leader” don’t play in the real world.

The kid has talent. I wish him well. He would be a good fit behind Cousins.
I like the QB we have. He had a great season in 2019. He’ll have another chance this fall. No point in looking back. We probably missed on someone else also. This Gopher team has a lot of talent. theyll be fun to watch this fall.
I wouldn't take lance in the first 3 rounds. He would be a good gamble after that.

I wouldn't take lance in the first 3 rounds. He would be a good gamble after that.
He is a massive gamble as a first round pick. But seems pretty certain that someone is going to go after him. For his sake, hopefully he ends up on a team that doesn't need him to be the starter from day 1.

On day 1 everyone at NDSU said he would be a can’t miss star, similar to when Billy Turner showed up. Lance’s issue, lived outside the metro, that’s usually all it takes.
I know that's the narrative that Bison fans always bring up but it's illogical. Look at your own post, the same thing happened to the metro kid Billy Turner.

The U recruits Marshall. At the time of Lance's recruitment, we had two Marshall football players (Andries and Hmielewski). Trey Lance also went to a number of camps. No recruit was hiding in rural MN.

The Gophers just missed on him. As did every other major college program. It happens. It likely happened because his team didn't throw the ball a ton of HS.

I would take him in the top 10. He is probably my third favorite QB prospect in this draft after Lawrence and Wilson.

I would take him in the top 10. He is probably my third favorite QB prospect in this draft after Lawrence and Wilson.
I'd take Fields before Lance. I just think NDSUs competition is so low that it's really hard to gauge qb ability. Maybe he'll be the next Peyton Brady, but I just wouldn't gamble on it.

Last edited:

Top Bottom