Time to start looking fora new head coach

Get real unless Goetz has the inside track kaler isn't going to let her fire him. A new AD isn't going to want be stuck with a new head coach that they didn't get to pick, he can however fire Pitino after year one. You're argument flawed give it a rest

You think your argument is sound but it is not. It's just something you believe. They call that "faith based" thinking. You have nothing other than your own notions of how the world should work.

So just to be clear about your expectations, you expected us to lose to the Dakotas and barely beat UNO. Come on its ok to critize him. This is historically bad the Gohpers have not lost back to back home non conference games to unranked oppones since 1960. This is beyond awful.

So just to be clear your expectations you expected us to lose to the Dakotas and barely beat UNO. Come on its ok to critize him. This is historically bad the gohpers have not lost back to back home non conference games to unranked oppones since 1960. This is beyond awful.

Not to mention that we had never lost to either South Dakota school in the history of time and have now lost to both in the span of 4 days. If Kill had lost to USD and SDSU in 2013, he would've been destroyed on GH and had a good shot at being fired. Pitino gets excuse-making.

Yeah its funny before the season started there was a lot of Nit and even some NCAA talk. Three years and the team is worse than the year before. All this talk about recruits he has never proven he can turn any of that talent into a winning team.
Not to mention that we had never lost to either South Dakota school in the history of time and have now lost to both in the span of 4 days. If Kill had lost to USD and SDSU in 2013, he would've been destroyed on GH and had a good shot at being fired. Pitino gets excuse-making.

Yeah its funny before the season started there was a lot of Nit and even a few NCAA talk. Three years and the tream is worse than the year before. All this talk about recruits he has never proven he can devolp any talent or win with his own guys.

He has now had his complete roster for NINE games. You think maybe we should let this play out a little bit?

Of course it is going to be worse than the year before. They lost four seniors off the team from last year. We are now sitting at December 9th.

It's like one of my favorite movies, "The Perfect Storm", that has befallen upon Coach Pitino. He was hired by a dirtball that left his stink on everyone associated with him. He was asked to replace one of the classiest human beings on the planet in Tubby. He assumed a pathetic, unbalanced roster that cannot be fixed overnight. He clearly knew that he was sacrificing this season by taking on Lynch and Fitzgerald with only Konate and Diedhiou to play C. He wasn't exactly put into a perfect scenario to succeed quickly but he also doesn't deserve a free pass considering the salary he's being paid.

I'm as disgusted as everyone else about the recent losses but I also didn't think we'd win 5 games in in the Big 10 this season. Letting Tubby go when we did was the right call but hiring Pitino to replace him? Maybe not so much.

It's like one of my favorite movies, "The Perfect Storm", that has befallen upon Coach Pitino. He was hired by a dirtball that left his stink on everyone associated with him. He was asked to replace one of the classiest human beings on the planet in Tubby. He assumed a pathetic, unbalanced roster that cannot be fixed overnight. He clearly knew that he was sacrificing this season by taking on Lynch and Fitzgerald with only Konate and Diedhiou to play C. He wasn't exactly put into a perfect scenario to succeed quickly but he also doesn't deserve a free pass considering the salary he's being paid.

I'm as disgusted as everyone else about the recent losses but I also didn't think we'd win 5 games in in the Big 10 this season. Letting Tubby go when we did was the right call but hiring Pitino to replace him? Maybe not so much.

This. He was put in a **** situation, with a black hole for two classes (this year's juniors and seniors). Obviously very hard to work out of. He is not completely devoid of blame, he has had time to solve this issue (at very least band-aid it) and failed spectacularly. But it was a difficult situation for any coach, especially at Minnesota. He's on the hot seat for me, but at least give him into next year. Doesn't perform then? Can him.

Very good quote, I knew it woul be bad but not this bad. I dont blame him he was hired for a job he was/never will be ready for. He prolly deserves nex year but if the team quits on him(and body language in huddles suggests this) I am not so sure. I just am bothered by a guy that has abandoned his "system" to me that speaks of panic mode and in over his head. All we heard was when he gets his guys(PRESSURE), well I have had the massive fortune of being at the last two games and can count on one hand how many time we pressed or heck even applied massive ball pressure. Would be interested to know where we rank in deflections that was also one of his selling points.

Very good quote, I knew it woul be bad but not this bad. I dont blame him he was hired for a job he was/never will be ready for. He prolly deserves nex year but if the team quits on him(and body language in huddles suggests this) I am not so sure. I just am bothered by a guy that has abandoned his "system" to me that speaks of panic mode and in over his head. All we heard was when he gets his guys(PRESSURE), well I have had the massive fortune of being at the last two games and can count on one hand how many time we pressed or heck even applied massive ball pressure. Would be interested to know where we rank in deflections that was also one of his selling points.

The underclassmen certainly have not quit. They played even or slightly ahead of SDSU last night. They know this is their chance.

You think your argument is sound but it is not. It's just something you believe. They call that "faith based" thinking. You have nothing other than your own notions of how the world should work.

Well I do have a Masters in Sport Management and have worked in College Athletics, I think I have a pretty good idea of how this should work. I would also call Lickliter example faith base thinking too, I'll admit it's kind of worked out for Iowa, but typically a coaching candidate is going to view a three year window as a red flag, especially if they have options, not sure who else wanted Fran as I don't follow Iowa basketball, although not sure how many more February collapses Fran will survive

Yeah its funny before the season started there was a lot of Nit and even some NCAA talk. Three years and the team is worse than the year before. All this talk about recruits he has never proven he can turn any of that talent into a winning team.

NIT ya, but I don't think anyone was talking NCAA. I am as full as a glass half full guy can get about the gophs, but I have never believed this team was going dancing. Even the day Pitino was hired was hired I thought well he'll need to make the dance early because with how the roster was shaped year three for Pitino was going to be a rebuild

I wouldn't say he's abandoned his system generally in order to press you have to make shots when it's brick city you have to get back. Not being able to press hurts our ability to create turnovers and you also have to get stops in order to get out and run clearly we are not. Tough to dictate the pace when you can't make a bucket and you can't stop anything.

AHH we have scored plenty of points the last 4 games thus made baskets. He is the one that has decided not to press. Agreed on the transition game when you struggle on d and the d glass hard to run.

AHH we have scored plenty of points the last 4 games thus made baskets. He is the one that has decided not to press. Agreed on the transition game when you struggle on d and the d glass hard to run.

I'd guess he is keeping it basic on defense ans skipping the press for now because the players aren't even doing what he is coaching in the half court setting. If you blow your assignments on the press -it's a layup

Honestly, if he knew how bad this team was going to be, would he risk it? He would have gone after Juco players maybe? I think the fact that he inherited the arrogance from his dad maybe had something to do with it???

Honestly, if he knew how bad this team was going to be, would he risk it? He would have gone after Juco players maybe? I think the fact that he inherited the arrogance from his dad maybe had something to do with it???

I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money that many highly successful coaches (Tubby included) made plenty of mistakes early on in their coaching careers. Can Coach Pitino pull out of this downward spiral? Only time will tell but I appreciate his energy and recruiting thus far.

I'd guess he is keeping it basic on defense ans skipping the press for now because the players aren't even doing what he is coaching in the half court setting. If you blow your assignments on the press -it's a layup

Honestly bga1, how do you know what he is teaching? Have you been in any of the practices? Last two yeasr, you and many others said lets wait until he gets his own player thne we do full court press. Now you are saying that players are too stupid to learn his system whatever that might be?????

Honestly bga1, how do you know what he is teaching? Have you been in any of the practices? Last two yeasr, you and many others said lets wait until he gets his own player thne we do full court press. Now you are saying that players are too stupid to learn his system whatever that might be?????

When the coach says this will be a rebuilding year what did you expect? a year that was better than last year? Last year was bad this year was supposed to be worse. I am not sure where all your anger is coming from we are seeing exactly what we should have expected.

I understand that but that is my biggest problem with him he is not running the stlye of play he stated and supposedly recruited for

I give Pitino a little bit of leeway this season just because of the two transfers sitting out. They probably could have gone out and got a JUCO or two if they really wanted and that probably would have made this season a little better. But I think the coaches are planning on next year being a big step for the program with the young guys getting better, the transfers being able to play, and the incoming freshman.

It still doesn't excuse the way this season has started by any means. We better see results next year or I think he is gone. I'm not extremely optimistic at this point but I see what they are trying to do.

Little Rick and Woody are a match made in heaven. Both were put in positions that were WAY OVER THEIR HEADS. Little Rick after the way this season has started should be right on the coat-tails of Woody. Up-tempo full court pressing does NOT WORK in the Big Ten. Tubby tried it his first two years at Minnesota and was forced to try and coach a style of play he was not familiar with. His half court offense was non-existent. Little Rick is trying to do the same exact thing. How many times did we get a turnover last night and then we forced up a wild lay-up 1 on 3. We have ZERO discipline to know when to push the ball and when to pull it back out. Everything is running at 100 MPH. SDSU was getting 2 and 3 guys back on defense to prevent easy buckets and we played like we had a 5-second shot clock. SDSU had great spacing, great ball movement and discipline.
Little Rick might be a good coach some day. However, why should we have to suffer. Go use your training wheels with some low level mid-major.
We need a President and AD that demands a winner. Minnesota had better athletes on the court last night but SDSU had better Coaches and better Basketball Players. There is an easy fix to this problem.

In regards to the roster this is year two. His first year with a late hire you can not expect any difference making recruits. There is no reason not to give him next year. To suggest they fire him now is a knee jerk stupid reaction . What a joke. It would make no sense. This season will be tough but with a top twenty recruiting class and the two transfers this future isn't as bleak as the Pitino haters suggest.

He's only had 2 full recruiting classes. This was always going to be a rebuilding year due to what Tubby left behind (nothing). Would you have rather had him recruit two more freshman this year instead of two juniors who have to sit out?

Yet he got beat by a first time head coach in only his second season at South Dakota who took over a much bigger mess than Pitino.

One thing I do also wonder. Let's say we lose to South Dakota State. But instead of beating Clemson and losing to USD we lose to Clemson and beat USD. Are people feeling differently right now? As much as people want to say how terrible Pitino is. We did just beat an ACC team a little over a week ago.

This is a fair point. I think there would be far less freaking out in that case. However, what was unsettling about last night was not that we lost, but that we got completely run out of our own gym.

Yet he got beat by a first time head coach in only his second season at South Dakota.

A former Tim Miles assistant and a team filled with upperclassmen. Like I've said multiple times, the USD loss was the lone bad one.

Going as expected wow, you expected them to lose to 2 dakota teams and barely beat UNO. I thought I was down on the team at the start of the season.

It's not that you 'expect' to lose any particular game. But anyone who didn't think there was a good chance we'd drop 1 of the 7 guarantee games this year was kidding themselves, given the quality of 2 or 3 of the opponents (UL-M, SDSU, UW-M). It was just a question of which one. Losing two is not good. And losing 3 is still very possible with UW-M.

Yes. But the gap between SDSU/USD and the B1G in football is much larger than it is in basketball. If SDSU played every B1G team in basketball right now, they'd win several games. The same has probably never been true in football.

I understand that but that is my biggest problem with him he is not running the stlye of play he stated and supposedly recruited for

It's really hard to run the ball and get fast break opportunities when the other team is scoring 85 points, you just don't get that many chances to do it. That kind of an offense starts with the defense, until we see some big time improvement it just isn't going to happen.

In regards to the roster this is year two. His first year with a late hire you can not expect any difference making recruits. There is no reason not to give him next year. To suggest they fire him now is a knee jerk stupid reaction . What a joke. It would make no sense. This season will be tough but with a top twenty recruiting class and the two transfers this future isn't as bleak as the Pitino haters suggest.

This situation is similar to Clem's first year here. A good group of raw recruits Burton, Newbern, Schick, Coffey playing with a mixed bag of veterans- Kelvin Smith was a Buggs clone and Gaffney was kind of like Mason, Tim Hanson was like Joey and there wasn't much else. They were 2-16 and lost Big Ten games by an average of 15 points that year. Got hammered every night. Clem didn't have as good of recruits coming in for year two as Pitino has coming in and it was still bad year 2. But in the third year- they got to .500 in conference and went to the sweet 16. Can Pitino build and develop like Clem did? So far there isn't the evidence to say he will but we have to wait and see. The talent will be here and Pitino has that to his credit.

Top Bottom