Time to Change the Culture

And this response has zero to do with what I said so we're even. Keep on Spoofin

Zero to do with your response about Pitino that had zero to do with any of the other posts in this thread? Really, this is what you got? Thanks for playing Accuweather guy. BTW, it got to the mid 40s even tho you "weren't buying it." Gasp. We all care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even Colorado can turn it around. We will probably be the last Division 1 team to do this. We may never do this.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the worst FBS teams just two years ago to 10 wins and playing in the conference championship game. But hey 8-4 is great! :rolleyes:

One of the worst FBS teams just two years ago to 10 wins and playing in the conference championship game. But hey 8-4 is great! :rolleyes:

You can be a Buffalo fan if you want. TBH, I doubt MN would miss you in the least.

Why change after 45 years? UofM admin. doesn't give a rats asse about football. They haven't since about 1970.
Have you been to TCF stadium? Have you heard about the athletes village?

Even Colorado can turn it around. We will probably be the last Division 1 team to do this. We may never do this.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a weird post. Colorado won a national championship in 1990 and has finished the season in the top 20 8 times since then (will be 9 after this year). The Gophers haven't been relevant nationally in almost 50 years.

Odds are overwhelming that another big coaching staff disruption puts this program back in the Rutgers/Purdue/Illinois/Maryland/Indiana tier of the conference.

Did you watch this season? That's where this program is quickly headed already. 14 point loss is competitive? Scoring 7 points at home against Iowa is competitive? Please

Minnesota was right to fire Glen Mason and they'd be right to fire Claeys.

This is a weird post. Colorado won a national championship in 1990 and has finished the season in the top 20 8 times since then (will be 9 after this year). The Gophers haven't been relevant nationally in almost 50 years.

Oops, we have been in the top 20 several times since 1990. Colorado has been a dumpster fire the last 4 years. That doesn't satisfy you. How about Duke and even Wake Forest. They have won division titles the last few years and here we are. 8-4 seems like 2-10. It is not that the Gophers lose, it is the way they lose.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!

Oops, we have been in the top 20 several times since 1990. Colorado has been a dumpster fire the last 4 years. That doesn't satisfy you. How about Duke and even Wake Forest. They have won division titles the last few years and here we are. 8-4 seems like 2-10. It is not that the Gophers lose, it is the way they lose.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!

Colorado held on to their coach through 3 seasons of 4 wins or less. I'm sure they'd have been even better this season if they'd fired him after year 1.*

*GopherHole logic

8-4 is pretty good for the Gophers. There is really no argument to the contrary that makes any sense.

Like it or not, this has been one of the top 5 seasons in the last 20 years. No one is saying it's great, but it's not bad.

Oh, BTW, if you were a fan of Colorado, you would have been crying about Mike MacIntyre years ago. He was 10-27 (2-24 in conference) his first three seasons. I'm sure you would have been patient with him as our coach. I would do the rollseyes emoji, but I'm not a 14 year old girl.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!

They were a dumpster fire the last three years with the same coach. HE shoujld have been canned, right?

Minnesota was right to fire Glen Mason and they'd be right to fire Claeys.

Except, Claeys is in year 1 and had a much better season than Mason did the year he was fired. Besides them being COMPLETELY different scenarios, it's a good comparison.

Odds are overwhelming that another big coaching staff disruption puts this program back in the Rutgers/Purdue/Illinois/Maryland/Indiana tier of the conference.

Did you watch this season? That's where this program is quickly headed already. 14 point loss is competitive? Scoring 7 points at home against Iowa is competitive? Please

Why do you think that's where we are headed? We went 8-4 with the best FR class I've seen on the Gophers in my life.

What happened this season to make you think we were going to drastically go backwards? You keep saying things like they're facts, please tell me what you saw that indicates we are heading in that direction.

8-4 is pretty good for the Gophers. There is really no argument to the contrary that makes any sense.

Like it or not, this has been one of the top 5 seasons in the last 20 years. No one is saying it's great, but it's not bad.

Oh, BTW, if you were a fan of Colorado, you would have been crying about Mike MacIntyre years ago. He was 10-27 (2-24 in conference) his first three seasons. I'm sure you would have been patient with him as our coach. I would do the rollseyes emoji, but I'm not a 14 year old girl.

I think every college coach deserves at least 4 years at a new program to turn things around. Claeys and the majority of the staff has been here for 6 years. He said it himself earlier this year that this is the 6th year of the program.

True, but Colorado has been a train wreck since joining the Pac 12. They had been flat out awful (especially when they took the coach from Boise). Certainly a very good team this year though...

Colorado held on to their coach through 3 seasons of 4 wins or less. I'm sure they'd have been even better this season if they'd fired him after year 1.*

*GopherHole logic

What a dumb post. Apples to oranges. The guy was a head coach prior and turned San Jose St around. This is only his 4th year after taking over a dumpster fire. Claeys had zero head coaching experience and has the program regressing.

What a dumb post. Apples to oranges. The guy was a head coach prior and turned San Jose St around. This is only his 4th year after taking over a dumpster fire. Claeys had zero head coaching experience and has the program regressing.

That word doesn't mean what you think it does.

Has the program regressing based on what? He's already tied Jerry Kill's best win total at Minnesota and can eclipse it with a bowl game win. He's the first first-year coach at Minnesota to go above .500 in the Big Ten since John Gutekunst in 1986. He's won 8 (potentially 9) when Vegas said we'd win 6. How is any of that regressing?

Has the program regressing based on what? He's already tied Jerry Kill's best win total at Minnesota and can eclipse it with a bowl game win. He's the first first-year coach at Minnesota to go above .500 in the Big Ten since John Gutekunst in 1986. He's won 8 (potentially 9) when Vegas said we'd win 6. How is any of that regressing?

Don't be obtuse.

I feel like we are suppose to pretend that 8 wins over the competition we played was impressive. There are definitely some posters on this site that are holding on to the number 8 like a child that so badly wants to believe in the Tooth Fairy. But the reality is that we simply are probably never going to have a setup schedule wise like we did this year and we won the bare minimum and quite frankly, barely so.

This defense was stellar this year, but the team was let down by Mitch and the coaching staff that steadfastly beveled in him the last 3 years. That belief needs to be scrutinized and in my opinion vigorously.

It may be fine for some of the long time fans, and many on this site included, to play like we have this year, but it obviously is not enough for most of this market to care. People don't go to the games or set aside 3 1/2 hours on a Saturday to watch poorly prepared teams slip past weak opponents and lose to average to above average opponents.

Now that you've got your pointless ad hominem out of the way, care to actually address the point? How has this team regressed?

Leidner played worse this year than last year. Last year he had a bad foot. this year he was healthy, and played worse. What was different - new OC and QB Coach.

Here's what I see: pluses: scored more points. good (but not dominant) running game. Defense played well later in the season. Carpenter solid at PK.
Minuses: predictable offense. Too many bad possessions. Santoso very inconsistent punting. Too many turnovers at key moments.

Beyond the stats, this team just seemed to make mistakes at the worst time possible. Had opportunities to win every game - but had terrible 2nd halves in the 4 losses (bad halftime adjustments by coaches). Even in some of the wins, the team struggled at times against lesser opponents. Some of that is on the players, but some of it has to be on the coaches. They call the plays - they're supposed to motivate the players.

So, bottom line - this may be an 8-win team, but they just (to me, at least) did not look impressive. I think the team from a couple of years ago with Cobb and Maxx Williams would blow this year's team off the field. I don't see a team getting better. I see a team that keeps making the same mistakes; keeps getting dumb penalties; and never seems to learn from its mistakes.

Yes, I think the team took a step backwards. That may sound crazy after going from 5 regular-season wins to 8, but that's what I saw.

2013 Gopher Football, 8 wins, beats Nebraska, 4 double digit losses=Kill is God.
2016 Gopher Football, 8 wins, no big wins, 1 double digit loss=fire the coach.

Seems logical.

Now that you've got your pointless ad hominem out of the way, care to actually address the point? How has this team regressed?

In a nutshell, the team played a woeful slate of opponents and when adjusted for opponent the advanced stats are not kind vs the past few years. The team has absolutely regressed on an aggregate scale and we are near the bottom in some categories. Mitch has had, possibly, a historically bad year in terms of TD:INT and INTs per attempt, for example but I'm too tired to look it up. Still have a game to go.

Feel free to look at the S&P+ and FEI numbers: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa

Here is the Minnesota 2016 profile in more depth. You can google search for prior years if you like. http://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2016-minnesota-advanced-statistical-profile

2013 Gopher Football, 8 wins, beats Nebraska, 4 double digit losses=Kill is God.
2016 Gopher Football, 8 wins, no big wins, 1 double digit loss=fire the coach.

Seems logical.

2014: Won the jug by 16, won the pig by 37, beat Nebraska, lost the axe by 4 fewer points, finished 2nd in the B1G west.
2016: Lost the bell, lost the pig, lost to Nebraska, lost by 4 more points to Wisconsin, finished 4th in the B1G west.

It does seem logical.

Edit: I missed you said 2013, but I don't remember people saying Kill was god after that year. 2014 was the year everyone was excited.

Leidner played worse this year than last year. Last year he had a bad foot. this year he was healthy, and played worse. What was different - new OC and QB Coach.

Here's what I see: pluses: scored more points. good (but not dominant) running game. Defense played well later in the season. Carpenter solid at PK.
Minuses: predictable offense. Too many bad possessions. Santoso very inconsistent punting. Too many turnovers at key moments.

Beyond the stats, this team just seemed to make mistakes at the worst time possible. Had opportunities to win every game - but had terrible 2nd halves in the 4 losses (bad halftime adjustments by coaches). Even in some of the wins, the team struggled at times against lesser opponents. Some of that is on the players, but some of it has to be on the coaches. They call the plays - they're supposed to motivate the players.

So, bottom line - this may be an 8-win team, but they just (to me, at least) did not look impressive. I think the team from a couple of years ago with Cobb and Maxx Williams would blow this year's team off the field. I don't see a team getting better. I see a team that keeps making the same mistakes; keeps getting dumb penalties; and never seems to learn from its mistakes.

Yes, I think the team took a step backwards. That may sound crazy after going from 5 regular-season wins to 8, but that's what I saw.

At some point during the season all of our losses were teams ranked in the top 13 teams in the country. Yes I would have loves to have won a couple of them, but this wasn't Kansas we were losing to. They were all top teams in the country! We are close and getting closer!

2014: Won the jug by 16, won the pig by 37, beat Nebraska, lost the axe by 4 fewer points, finished 2nd in the B1G west.
2016: Lost the bell, lost the pig, lost to Nebraska, lost by 4 more points to Wisconsin, finished 4th in the B1G west.

It does seem logical.

Edit: I missed you said 2013, but I don't remember people saying Kill was god after that year. 2014 was the year everyone was excited.

People loved Kill after 2013. They should have! He accomplished quite a bit.

Top Bottom