Time to Change the Culture

You may feel that way. But the data certainly suggests otherwise.
And maybe that's just what this is all about. How people feel after a loss.

This is what bothers me the most. And you can add another loss for Minnesota, and another win for Iowa to this.

Below is a breakdown of Big Ten teams against ranked opponents since 2002. Note that some of these teams weren't in the Big Ten all of these years. These are all games against ranked opponents regardless if the team in question was also ranked (not looking at just underdog games).

OVERALL
GOPHERS 6-44 (#11, #21, #22, #23, #24, #24)
Iowa 21-28 (#3, #3, #5, #5, #8, #9, #9, #9, #12, #12, #12, #15, #16, #16, #18, #19, #19, #19, #20, #22, #25)
Wisconsin 27-32 (#1, #3, #5, #5, #7, #7 #8, #8, #12, #12, #12, #12, #14, #15, #15, #16, #17, #18, #18, #19, #19, #19, #21, #21, #22, #25, #25
Illinois 4-44 (#1, #5, #21, #22)
Indiana 7-38 (#15, #17, #18, #22, #23, #24, #24)
Nebraska 14 - 36 (#6, #7, #11, #12, #14, #20, #20, #22, #22, #22, #23, #24, #24, #24)
Northwestern 14 - 38 (#4, #7, #10, #13, #14, #16, #17, #17, #17, #18, #20, #21, #22, #25)
Maryland 12-37 (#5, #8, #10, #14, #16, #19, #19, #20, #21, #21, #23, #23)
Michigan 26-34 (#2, #4, #8, #8, #9, #9, #10, #10, #11, #11, #11, #12, #12, #13, #13, #14, #15, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #21, #22, #23, #24)
Michigan St 23-36 (#2, #3, #4, #4, #5, #5, #6, #7, #10, #11, #11, #12, #13, #16, #18, #18, #19, #19, #21, #22, #24, #25, #25)
Ohio St 50-18 (#1, #1, #2, #2, #2, #5, #7, #7, #8, #8, #8, #8, #9, #10, #10, #10, #10, #11, #11, #12, #12, #13, #13, #13, #14, #14, #15, #16, #16, #16, #17, #18, #18, #19, #20, #20, #20, #21, #21, #21, #21, #23, #23, #23, #24, #24, #24, #25, #25, #25)
Penn St 16-36 (#2, #6, #8, #9, #12, #14, #15, #15, #17, #18, #18, #19, #19, #22, #22, #24)
Purdue 5-42 (#7, #10, #14, #20, #23)
Rutgers 4-27 (#2, #3, #17, #24)

Win Percentage
Ohio St - .735
Wisconsin - .458
Michigan - .433
Iowa - .429
Michigan St - .390
Penn St - .308
Nebraska - .280
Northwestern - .269
Maryland - .245
Indiana - .156
Rutgers - .129
GOPHERS - .120
Purdue - .106
Illinois - .083

Best Win over ranked opponent
Ohio St - #1
Wisconsin - #1
Illinois - #1
Rutgers - #2
Michigan - #2
Michigan St - #2
Penn St - #2
Iowa - #3
Northwestern - #4
Maryland - #5
Nebraska - #6
Purdue - #7
GOPHERS - #11
Indiana - #15

Minnesota
2016: 8-4
2015: 6-7
2014: 8-5
2013: 8-5
Total wins: 30 wins

Maryland
2016: 6-6
2015: 3-8
2014: 7-6
2013:7-6
total: 23 wins

Illinois
2016: 3-9
2015: 5-7
2014: 6-7
2013: 4-8
Total: 18 wins

Indiana
2016: 6-6
2015 6-7
2014: 4-8
2013: 5-7
Total: 21 wins

Rutgers:
2016: 2-10
2015: 4-8
2014: 8-5
2013: 6-7
Total: 20 wins

Purdue
2016: 3-9
2015: 2-10
2014: 3-9
2013: 1-11
Total: 9 wins

I would certainly say we are at least a tier above all of those teams listed since 2013, maybe even above two or three tiers for some of them in fact. Don't let facts get in the way of a good narrative though!

Don't let facts get in the way of a good narrative though!

What gives you the confidence that Claeys will continue this? I do think the defense has some talent going forward except at DT. We are in trouble there after next year. Outside of RB, there is not a lot of talent on offense, with little help on the way.

Weird thread. Emotional reaction. Try to live more than through a college football team. Seriously. This is a winning season and people are melting down. The word is "unhinged". Tracy Claeys does need to mature as a coach. If he is winning as an immature coach, just think what the upside to this may be. Now, how do we get there from here? Support the team. Support the coach. And, keep going. Otherwise, seek therapy for your uncontrolled feelings of "frustration."

What gives you the confidence that Claeys will continue this? I do think the defense has some talent going forward except at DT. We are in trouble there after next year. Outside of RB, there is not a lot of talent on offense, with little help on the way.

I believe that two former highly touted QB's in Green and Demry give us the possibility of this program reaching the next level. I think it's certainly possible that those guys can really elevate this offense and this team. It's a lot easier for me to get excited about those two than any QB's we've have laying in the wings in a long time. We will also return 6 lineman with significant experience and our top 3 rushers. I'm actually more confident about the offense's future than the D's. Not to mention the new facilities.

I certainly believe it's possible that Claeys can punch threw into 9-10 win range.

Hire Charlie Strong, no one will care then :p

Humor, yes, I know, I think Claeys might be a better HC that Charlie Strong. With all the talent on the Texas Roster, to put up a record like Strong has in 3 years, you have to be poor HC. Strong might be a good defensive mind, like Claeys, but he is very shaky as HC.

I think Glen Caruso (and also Glen Mason) would probably win big at Texas almost immediately. They are sort of like Gopher Hockey used to be, in that they pretty much get every great player they want, and if they don't plan B is almost as good.

I believe that two former highly touted QB's in Green and Demry give us the possibility of this program reaching the next level. I think it's certainly possible that those guys can really elevate this offense and this team. It's a lot easier for me to get excited about those two than any QB's we've have laying in the wings in a long time. We will also return 6 lineman with significant experience and our top 3 rushers. Not to mention the new facilities.

I certainly believe it's possible that Claeys can get to at least a 9-10 win season.

You have a lot more faith in Croft - who's next best offer was Northern Illinois, and Green - who was the second best QB at his high school, and other colleges wanted him to change positions, than I do.

I believe that two former highly touted QB's in Green and Demry give us the possibility of this program reaching the next level. I think it's certainly possible that those guys can really elevate this offense and this team. It's a lot easier for me to get excited about those two than any QB's we've have laying in the wings in a long time. We will also return 6 lineman with significant experience and our top 3 rushers. Not to mention the new facilities.

I certainly believe it's possible that Claeys can get to at least a 9-10 win season.

Did Demry Croft have any power 5 offers other than MN? He hasn't been able to beat out Leidner in 2 years.... that's the highly touted player I should be holding my breath for?

Weird thread. Emotional reaction. Try to live more than through a college football team. Seriously. This is a winning season and people are melting down. The word is "unhinged". Tracy Claeys does need to mature as a coach. If he is winning as an immature coach, just think what the upside to this may be. Now, how do we get there from here? Support the team. Support the coach. And, keep going. Otherwise, seek therapy for your uncontrolled feelings of "frustration."

This seems too rational.

I believe that two former highly touted QB's in Green and Demry give us the possibility of this program reaching the next level. I think it's certainly possible that those guys can really elevate this offense and this team. It's a lot easier for me to get excited about those two than any QB's we've have laying in the wings in a long time. We will also return 6 lineman with significant experience and our top 3 rushers. I'm actually more confident about the offense's future than the D's. Not to mention the new facilities.

I certainly believe it's possible that Claeys can punch threw into 9-10 win range.

It appears that you have not been a gopher fan for very long. That is the gopher mantra, "Next year we will be better." Yes, we won 8 games. However, the have and have nots of college fb have gotten much wider and I believe that we are trending towards the have nots.

I am much less optimistic for next year. ML was a bad qb, yet he was our best option. To think that we have a savior in the wings is completely delusional, IMO. I strongly believe that next year's qb play will be much, MUCH worse, considering ML was out best option this year. I don't want this coaching staff touching our next qb considering the horrible job they did with ML.

I don't know how anyone could need more evidence after six years that this staff and its style of coaching/recruiting has a very clear ceiling. There's been a grand total of two wins over ranked teams (two Nebraska teams ranked in the 20's) and a 2-10 record in the two biggest rivalry games. If you keep Claeys for another year, you just make things tougher for the next guy. Imagine if you have to make a hire after next year assuming Claeys and company don't surprise? You will have a bottom of the conference recruiting class from 2017 and almost assuredly another bottom of the conference recruiting class being set up for 2018...that sets the new guy back another year to say nothing of the potential that a terrible season next year would make the job less attractive to potential candidates.

I don't know how anyone could need more evidence after six years that this staff and its style of coaching/recruiting has a very clear ceiling. There's been a grand total of two wins over ranked teams (two Nebraska teams ranked in the 20's) and a 2-10 record in the two biggest rivalry games. If you keep Claeys for another year, you just make things tougher for the next guy. Imagine if you have to make a hire after next year assuming Claeys and company don't surprise? You will have a bottom of the conference recruiting class from 2017 and almost assuredly another bottom of the conference recruiting class being set up for 2018...that sets the new guy back another year to say nothing of the potential that a terrible season next year would make the job less attractive to potential candidates.

Yep. Keeping Claeys another year is delaying the inevitable.

You have a lot more faith in Croft - who's next best offer was Northern Illinois, and Green - who was the second best QB at his high school, and other colleges wanted him to change positions, than I do.

The recruiting sites don't list an offer from them but Demry had the opportunity to play at Penn State. They attended one of his games and after their QB commit at the time recommitted and Demry became their top target. Demry told them he was going to stick to his Minnesota commitment and then PSU moved on to Tommy Stevens who was next in line for an offer after Demry and he exerted.

In addition to that, he was ranked the #17 dual threat QB in the country by 247 with a grade of 88, and Scout ranked him the #26 QB overall in the nation, only two spots below the last 4 star who was #24. He was I also watched him go throw 12-15 for over 210 yards with TD's and zero picks in addition to over 30 rushing yards in the OD All American Bowl, a game littered with high 3 and low 4 stars. Also had a really nice senior year. So yeah, I do have a lot of faith in Demry.

As for Seth, even if he didn't beat out his competition at Allen, he still showed that he has much greater athleticism and probably arm strength than Leidner in addition to a 6-4, 235 pound frame. His combo of size, speed and arm strength is elite. Half the recruiting pundits (ESPN and Scout) still felt he was 4 star caliber even without being named a full time starter. Not to mention he already has a year of spring practice under his belt.

I believe that there is at least a chance that one of these two could take us to the next level. I have a much better feeling about these two than I did about Leidner or Nelson when they were the same age.

It appears that you have not been a gopher fan for very long. That is the gopher mantra, "Next year we will be better." Yes, we won 8 games. However, the have and have nots of college fb have gotten much wider and I believe that we are trending towards the have nots.

I am much less optimistic for next year. ML was a bad qb, yet he was our best option. To think that we have a savior in the wings is completely delusional, IMO. I strongly believe that next year's qb play will be much, MUCH worse, considering ML was out best option this year. I don't want this coaching staff touching our next qb considering the horrible job they did with ML.

I have been a gopher fan long enough to know that there probably isn't some slam dunk coach waiting to take this job and if we do fire Claeys, like we did with Mason and Tubby, we could end up with someone much worse. Also with the progress we've made on our $166 million facilities, I'd say we are trending towards the haves, not the have nots.

The recruiting sites don't list an offer from them but Demry had the opportunity to play at Penn State. They attended one of his games and after their QB commit at the time recommitted and Demry became their top target. Demry told them he was going to stick to his Minnesota commitment and then PSU moved on to Tommy Stevens who was next in line for an offer after Demry and he exerted.

In addition to that, he was ranked the #17 dual threat QB in the country by 247 with a grade of 88, and Scout ranked him the #26 QB overall in the nation, only two spots below the last 4 star who was #24. He was I also watched him go throw 12-15 for over 210 yards with TD's and zero picks in addition to over 30 rushing yards in the OD All American Bowl, a game littered with high 3 and low 4 stars. Also had a really nice senior year. So yeah, I do have a lot of faith in Demry.

And somehow he was unable to even compete with a Qb that threw 3 touchdowns and 12 interceptions vs FBS schools....

I want a head coach that can recruit Big 10 level offensive and defensive linemen, and has already been a winner in the Big 10 conference.

A head coach that would walk in the door and say to the players, losing to Iowa, Losing to Wisconsin, that Sh!t is done. That head coach is Brett Bielema and we need to take him and his staff away from Arkansas. We need an a-hole that is arrogant enough to believe he can win a conference championship at Minnesota. I think we know our guy, now can AD Mark Coyle go get him and get him to turn his Arkansas Red into Minnesota Maroon and Gold. Get this done Coyle and get Bielema as Minnesota head coach. Will Arkansas, pull the trigger, I sure hope so. We need this A-hole as head coach.

Nope, it wasn't just by gopherhole. It was by several national recruiting analysts including Steve Wiltfong, Tom Lemming, Allen Trieu and more just to name a few. It's not hard for me to see that these guys have more talent than QB's we usually recruit like Shortell, DRM, Nelson, Leidner, Streveler, Poljan, Mark Williams etc. Plus I've seen both play full length games.

Losing sucks.

Las Vegas had us at 6.5 wins back in August. The team and coaches must have overachieved for some variables along the way to beat the bookies.

Not sure we can do better this year with a change.

At least if we keep Claeys and company we'll replace the learning issues of a 1st year HC with those of a 2nd year HC and his new team. I think we're better to hold the course and continue the experiment.

That said, I thought we had a shot. Two years ago in Madison we led at the half and lost both the 3rd and 4th quarters. This year we lost the 4th. Hard to tell if this is progress or not.

I want a head coach that can recruit Big 10 level offensive and defensive linemen, and has already been a winner in the Big 10 conference.

A head coach that would walk in the door and say to the players, losing to Iowa, Losing to Wisconsin, that Sh!t is done. That head coach is Brett Bielema and we need to take him and his staff away from Arkansas. We need an a-hole that is arrogant enough to believe he can win a conference championship at Minnesota. I think we know our guy, now can AD Mark Coyle go get him and get him to turn his Arkansas Red into Minnesota Maroon and Gold. Get this done Coyle and get Bielema as Minnesota head coach. Will Arkansas, pull the trigger, I sure hope so. We need this A-hole as head coach.

If I would certainly take Beilema over Claeys. But what the hell makes you think he'd leave Arkansas for Minnesota?

Everyone is calling for Tracy's head. I really had high hopes for Jay Johnson this year. We won the games we were supposed to win. Jay really needed to use the whole field as he did the first half. We had two plays in the 2nd half, the dive and the long pass. Easy to defend And led to three and outs.

Nope, it wasn't just by gopherhole. It was by several national recruiting analysts including Steve Wiltfong, Tom Lemming, Allen Trieu and more just to name a few. It's not hard for me to see that these guys have more talent than QB's we usually recruit like Shortell, DRM, Nelson, Leidner, Streveler, Poljan, Mark Williams etc. Plus I've seen both play full length games.

Lemming was very high on Nelson and considered him the most underrated midwest recruit.

And somehow he was unable to even compete with a Qb that threw 3 touchdowns and 12 interceptions vs FBS schools....

Totally unfair. You may end up being correct, but how many Freshman QB's play? Totally prudent to do everything possible to RS Green and regain Croft's RS.

I get the feeling those that want to give Claeys more time are the same people that had high hopes Mitch Leidner would develop into Tom Brady. All signs are negative. Too many fundamental problems.

Now, as with Leidner if Claeys is our best option and Harsin, Fleck, Rhule, Bohl etc don't want the job then you roll with the guys you have.

If Demry couldn't get time in a season where Mitch regressed in a major way it's hard to believe the coaches feel he has developed very much to this point. Big red flag.

If we can't get Ta'amu to come here it's going to be a real interesting season. I am usually optimistic (and there is always, always hope in college football!) and wish to see Green and/or Croft develops but after what happened to Mitch this season it's a stretch. Lots of issues on the offense, not just QB. Hope is not a strategy.

If Demry couldn't get time in a season where Mitch regressed in a major way it's hard to believe the coaches feel he has developed very much to this point. Big red flag.

If the coaches were honest with themselves over Mitch's progress at the beginning of the year, I think Demry would have played this year rather than trying to make up for the poor RS decision last year.

If we can't get Ta'amu to come here it's going to be a real interesting season. I am usually optimistic (and there is always, always hope in college football!) and wish to see Green and/or Croft develops but after what happened to Mitch this season it's a stretch. Lots of issues on the offense, not just QB. Hope is not a strategy.

Demry could get major time this year. The coaches were just extremely determined and did everything they could (for once, thankfully) to preserve his RS. In fact if they didn't think he had talent, I find it hard to believe they would go to this extent to RS him.

in past seasons they would have lost to NW, or OR St, or CO state or RU...they didn't this year...they are growing or am I too optimistic

Top Bottom