Thread removed about message to fans

Geez, some people. Put yourself in their shoes. Who cares what job someone has or how much money they make. Why would that justify the behavior? How would your kids feel if some a-hole walked up and shouted something really nasty about you in front of them? Of course they are going to get upset about it. Have some decency. There is a lot more to life than GAMES, and that is what this is.
Maybe it's just me, and if it is, I can accept that. That said, did they come up to me and say something nasty, but true. If so, it's my fault. Is that proper etiquette? No, but if what they said is true then the nasty falls onto me.

If they were just being an ass and said something redickerous (intentional), then I agree with your assessment. I have no idea what was allegedly said, but if I have something coming, I admit it and then that falls on me regardless of etiquette.

Just my .02.

Sort of figured...my best friend growing up was goalie on our hockey team as was his older brother. Their Mom heard some pretty sharp stuff not only from the opposing fans and parents, but our fans and parents! You better have tough skin for positions like Fleck's...and being a goalie parent!
I don’t like that type of stuff personally but I know it happens. My issue with heathers post was that she acted like PJ was forced away from his kids and that it’s a massive hardship having him coach without acknowledging its his choice.

Big time college football is a big money form of entertainment, and a multi-billion dollar business.
If the team plays like steaming hot garbage, they should be booed off the field.
What does that accomplish? That’s what I ask before doing it. Nothing is the answer. Unless you don’t think the players and coaches know that they play shitty but I have a hunch they did know.

Sort of figured...my best friend growing up was goalie on our hockey team as was his older brother. Their Mom heard some pretty sharp stuff not only from the opposing fans and parents, but our fans and parents! You better have tough skin for positions like Fleck's...and being a goalie parent!
My wife went to one game when I coached (non-varsity) high school girls soccer. It was her last. She couldn't listen to what the parents were saying about me or even some of the players.

What does that accomplish? That’s what I ask before doing it. Nothing is the answer. Unless you don’t think the players and coaches know that they play shitty but I have a hunch they did know.
As a fan, you have the right to jeer when the team plays poorly. That's part of being a fan. I could not care less that these are college kids. You sign up to coach or play major college football, you know what it is. Don't like it, go coach or play at Upper Iowa or Crown College or some such place.

My wife went to one game when I coached (non-varsity) high school girls soccer. It was her last. She couldn't listen to what the parents were saying about me or even some of the players.
And you weren't getting paid millions

I don’t like that type of stuff personally but I know it happens. My issue with heathers post was that she acted like PJ was forced away from his kids and that it’s a massive hardship having him coach without acknowledging its his choice.
Happens all the time, we are humans with emotions. Most of the crowd booed when they were leaving the field at the half.

No, she posted self serving comments about how his kids miss their dad--then talked about them being jerks. I don't think anyone should boo college kids, coaches, officials, etc. because no one has that at their own job. I don't boo pro athletes either--because its their job and they want to succeed. But her calling it a sacrifice for PJ is obsurd.

Well… Yelp’s secondary function as a sounding board of over-privileged Type As to rip on everyone they interact with at all manner of businesses for real or perceived slights qualifies. There are just a whole bunch of nuts out there.

Whatever happened, the kids will get over it. They will figure out public figures have supporters and detractors, and there are crazy people. Many crazy people. It doesn’t mean it’s ok to yell at the coaches wife. Really guys?

Happens all the time, we are humans with emotions. Most of the crowd booed when they were leaving the field at the half.
And after the failed drive in the 4th quarter when we ran the ball and punted down by 4.

Part of that post was about what a toll it’s taking on their marriage. I wonder if that was the part that prompted the deletion. Hey, I was at CO, and 10k people travelled to support them and chant PJ as they were leaving the field and they paused to wave and thank everyone. The good comes with the bad and if you can’t take it, you can watch the game at home. Im guessing she loves hugging PJ on the field and celebrating after a win. This is big boy stuff.

Part of that post was about what a toll it’s taking on their marriage. I wonder if that was the part that prompted the deletion. Hey, I was at CO, and 10k people travelled to support them and chant PJ as they were leaving the field and they paused to wave and thank everyone. The good comes with the bad and if you can’t take it, you can watch the game at home. Im guessing she loves hugging PJ on the field and celebrating after a win. This is big boy stuff.

Maybe Heather should withhold until Sanford Jr is fired. Just a thought.

She is totally entitled to feel the way she described in her posts. But good grief what a foolish idea to post it. Yeah the marriage comment really struck me.

It conveys displeasure.

Eventually - and if enough people/the right people are displeased - that can lead to on-field changes and/or personnel changes.

Well… Yelp’s secondary function as a sounding board of over-privileged Type As to rip on everyone they interact with at all manner of businesses for real or perceived slights qualifies. There are just a whole bunch of nuts out there.

Whatever happened, the kids will get over it. They will figure out public figures have supporters and detractors, and there are crazy people. Many crazy people. It doesn’t mean it’s ok to yell at the coaches wife. Really guys?
I agree. I’m not defending the assholes—in criticizing her post

May be time to reinstall cardboard cutout. I think Heather should not worry too much as apathy will set in sooner than winter snow fall. Someone should show her late Mason years and Brester's games. I saw more lively funerals than Gopher football games.

Heather is entitled to protect her kids and her family from insults. Maybe, she shouldn't have said what she said. But, put yourself in her shoes. What the fan did was totally uncalled for. The stress level is high with high expectations. PJ Fleck and Heather gave a lot to the Gopher Football program.

In the Social Media Age, what was said sometimes cannot be taken back. She is human. This moment doesn't define who Heather is as a person.

The Fleck family is nothing but class.

If the fan has an issue, address it to PJ Fleck. The family should be off-limits!

I hope PJ is equally pissed at his coaching staffs. They're the ones who are doing disservice to him, his family future and the football program. Lets face it losing to BG in a game that you're favored by 31 points is quite humiliating. Seeing these types of things between fans and coaching staffs and their family is not a good thing. Apathy will set in sooner than the PJ and his staffs are expecting. Less heat, less interests, less interactions.

I mean she clearly was not talking about herself in the post.

I've never been one to run hot at sports games and don't condone swearing or yelling but one has to understand that it's that passion that draws people to pay prohibitively high costs and funds coaching salaries. That game was a horrible loss on homecoming with a team whose offense has literally thrown in the towel, for those who run hot they saw red after this one.

To those who feel the need to curse and be derogatory, please stop.

I was "that guy" when I was young. Always yelling at refs and opposing coaches and players, talking very badly. I look back and still feel like a piece of shit 30 years later at some of the things I said and did-still very embarrassed and ashamed. I should have gotten my ass kicked (parents were out my life at the time so no guidance). I don't know what was said that made her post what she did, but if it was some dumbass like my younger me, she should have done it. If it was only critique, that's a different story.
I now keep very quiet because everyone is trying their best. Sometimes there are decisions made that are wrong, but that is life and we all need to know how to deal with it. I'm still learning.

Top Bottom