Thread removed about message to fans

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
We were asked to remove the thread about the message to fans, which we obliged after Heather also removed the message from her Instagram account. We do not normally do this once something is public such as this, but felt this was the right thing to do in this instance. We appreciate your understanding.

The TLDR of the message was: don't yell out cuss words at coaches, because their wives and/or kids might be sitting near by and will cause them to cry.

Oh dear god. This will not end well. What in gods name was she thinking?

What a chump move by Heather. Rip the fans, complain, get on a soap box, get some negative feedback and delete. Maybe people pointed out her family sits in a suite and her husband makes millions? I get not having him around may be tough on the kids but the cool thing is that he is football coach by choice. He could quit today and be a stay at home dad forever, if he wanted. I don't know many people with that option.

Oh dear god. This will not end well. What in gods name was she thinking?

Ah ok, sorry I reposted my reply. I don’t remember the last time the spouse of any HC came out to publicly ask fans to calm down from a P5 conference.

something must have happened/been said at the bank, maybe even just social media anger.

I’m guessing PJ is probably pretty P.Oed if his wife felt the need to do that.

this could get interesting

What a chump move by Heather. Rip the fans, complain, get on a soap box, get some negative feedback and delete. Maybe people pointed out her family sits in a suite and her husband makes millions? I get not having him around may be tough on the kids but the cool thing is that he is football coach by choice. He could quit today and be a stay at home dad forever, if he wanted. I don't know many people with that option.
I read it as her telling the assholes to pipe down...

There's a difference between being pissed off at a crappy coach making crappy football decisions, and then feeling the need to get personal and yell out awful things.

What would ever justify for a fan to walk up to a coaches wife after a bad loss and yell "your husband sucks!! He's ruined the team!!! I hope he gets fired!!!" in her face, with kids standing there?

I read it as her telling the assholes to pipe down...
Sure, but she also has to realize the position she is speaking from. Was someone in her suite screaming at PJ? He makes what, $5 million per year? I'm not going to feel bad that he has to be away from his family (something he chooses to do).

PJ can get a job making $100k right now, he can be home by 5 every night, no fans to yell at him, kids don't have to hear the criticisms he gets at work. But he CHOOSES to do what he does, and he benefits from it. I'm sure some of it sucks--my uncle coached in the NFL for 25 years, he was gone 80+ hours a week--but he chose that career.

Sure, but she also has to realize the position she is speaking from. Was someone in her suite screaming at PJ? He makes what, $5 million per year? I'm not going to feel bad that he has to be away from his family (something he chooses to do).

PJ can get a job making $100k right now, he can be home by 5 every night, no fans to yell at him, kids don't have to hear the criticisms he gets at work. But he CHOOSES to do what he does, and he benefits from it. I'm sure some of it sucks--my uncle coached in the NFL for 25 years, he was gone 80+ hours a week--but he chose that career.
I don't get this.

Not being an asshole to someone is relative to how much money they make for you?

I doubt anyone is saying PJ deserves no criticism and no anger towards him.

Geez, some people. Put yourself in their shoes. Who cares what job someone has or how much money they make. Why would that justify the behavior? How would your kids feel if some a-hole walked up and shouted something really nasty about you in front of them? Of course they are going to get upset about it. Have some decency. There is a lot more to life than GAMES, and that is what this is.

I don't get this.

Not being an asshole to someone is relative to how much money they make for you?
I don't think what she said is grounded in fact. Her saying him not being home is difficult is such a self serving comment because its a choice. He can retire comfortable. That is the issue I took with her statement.

I don't think anyone should yell at anyone negatively. Its the reason I don't boo refs. If anyone here is complaining about this but boos the officials--you're part of the problem.

I don't think what she said is grounded in fact. Her saying him not being home is difficult is such a self serving comment because its a choice. He can retire comfortable. That is the issue I took with her statement.

I don't think anyone should yell at anyone negatively. Its the reason I don't boo refs.

Wut?

"Her saying him not being home is difficult is such a self serving comment because its a choice."

Yeah .. that's reality?

"He can retire comfortable."

So? I don't get this at all ...

Your whole thing here seems to be that they make lots of money... meanwhile she was posting about people being jerks...

Geez, some people. Put yourself in their shoes. Who cares what job someone has or how much money they make. Why would that justify the behavior? How would your kids feel if some a-hole walked up and shouted something really nasty about you in front of them? Of course they are going to get upset about it. Have some decency. There is a lot more to life than GAMES, and that is what this is.
If you think this is going to stop or doesn't happen worse at bigger football schools you are kidding yourself....It's the ugly side that comes with a high-profile , very public position.

Wut?

"Her saying him not being home is difficult is such a self serving comment because its a choice."

Yeah .. that's reality?

Your whole thing here seems to be that they make lots of money... meanwhile she was posting about people being jerks...
No, she posted self serving comments about how his kids miss their dad--then talked about them being jerks. I don't think anyone should boo college kids, coaches, officials, etc. because no one has that at their own job. I don't boo pro athletes either--because its their job and they want to succeed. But her calling it a sacrifice for PJ is obsurd.

If you think this is going to stop or doesn't happen worse at bigger football schools you are kidding yourself....It's the ugly side that comes with a high-profile , very public position.
Again, that does not excuse the behavior in any way.

Wut?

Yeah .. that's reality?

You're also defending her when she was so steadfast in her posting that she deleted it AND requested to have it deleted from a message board. Clearly she disagrees with herself or was told by someone to take it all down.

I'm not exactly sure what Heather said, but when you take a high profile position you subject yourself and your family to criticism. That's why he is getting paid $5 million a year. I am not saying that criticizing the coach to the wife and family is proper or cordial; it is something I wouldn't do, but it comes along with the territory. If the coach doesn't like it, he has the option to quit. However, many people will take harsh criticism for $5 million a year. Hell, it bought coach a multi-million dollar and a beautiful lake home. Those things come at a price.

Likewise, Heather has the right to complain, but don't expect everyone to sympathize with her just because she doesn't like it. Life is full of choice and the more public and higher salary you make, the more baggage and criticism that comes with the job. That's life. Don't like it, take an anonymous office job somewhere for less money and you don't have to worry about being yelled at in public because you are doing a crappy job.

Last edited:

There's a difference between being pissed off at a crappy coach making crappy football decisions, and then feeling the need to get personal and yell out awful things.

What would ever justify for a fan to walk up to a coaches wife after a bad loss and yell "your husband sucks!! He's ruined the team!!! I hope he gets fired!!!" in her face, with kids standing there?
That's what happened?

Did I say it excuses it?, no.....It comes with the territory...The Minnesota fanbase is mild compared to others.
Your response to someone criticizing the behavior was "well it happens everywhere". Ok that may be true, and those people are awful too. This is gopherhole so we are going to talk about gopher fans, not what the fans in Florida are doing.

Your response to someone criticizing the behavior was "well it happens everywhere". Ok that may be true, and those people are awful too. This is gopherhole so we are going to talk about gopher fans, not what the fans in Florida are doing.
Great....my point still stands....You can sugarcoat it anyway you want.....I cant imagine the insults hurled at John Calipari when they lose to an inferior opponent at home and I'm sure he has family sitting behind the bench....I give gopher fans a lot of credit for being as sane and cordial as they are....Considering we haven't won a B10 championship in over 50 years.

No, that isn't what she posted at all. But MPLSGopher doesn't work in facts.
Sort of figured...my best friend growing up was goalie on our hockey team as was his older brother. Their Mom heard some pretty sharp stuff not only from the opposing fans and parents, but our fans and parents! You better have tough skin for positions like Fleck's...and being a goalie parent!

I don't think anyone should boo college kids, coaches, officials, etc. because no one has that at their own job. I don't boo pro athletes either--because its their job and they want to succeed. But her calling it a sacrifice for PJ is obsurd.
Big time college football is a big money form of entertainment, and a multi-billion dollar business.
If the team plays like steaming hot garbage, they should be booed off the field.

Top Bottom