Thoughts on % chance that we can attend 2021 games at TCF, let's see predictions

The only possible thing that can de-rail it now, is if a bad mutant pops up.

None will be able to escape tuning the vaccine ... but those tunings will take a few months to start being released.

The mutants can only happen if dumb___ks won't take the vaccine.

Take the ___king vaccine, you selfish bas__rd.

I know you're talking about the covid variants, but the phrase "bad mutants" made me wonder if you were talking about Magneto, Sabertooth or Stryfe.

(for those who don't read comic books, those characters are bad or evil mutants in X-Men comics).

I know you're talking about the covid variants, but the phrase "bad mutants" made me wonder if you were talking about Magneto, Sabertooth or Stryfe.

(for those who don't read comic books, those characters are bad or evil mutants in X-Men comics).
It's pretty much an open secret at the CDC that Magneto is behind COVID....

FWIW - a "source" is claiming that the State of MN is ready to allow the MN Twins to begin the season with in-person fans up to 25% of capacity. if they're willing to do that in April, that bodes well for the Gophers to have more fans by the Fall.

And - as of March 5 - just under 19% of state residents have received one dose of vaccine. Just over 10% have completed their vaccinations.

FWIW - a "source" is claiming that the State of MN is ready to allow the MN Twins to begin the season with in-person fans up to 25% of capacity. if they're willing to do that in April, that bodes well for the Gophers to have more fans by the Fall.

And - as of March 5 - just under 19% of state residents have received one dose of vaccine. Just over 10% have completed their vaccinations.
And the rate of vaccination should only get faster! (well, until everyone who is willing to get a vaccine gets both doses, then it will slow down as the work to convince everyone else to get vaccinated begins)

And the rate of vaccination should only get faster! (well, until everyone who is willing to get a vaccine gets both doses, then it will slow down as the work to convince everyone else to get vaccinated begins)

But there are also one dose vaccines now that have just begun to roll out.

Awesome! I have Twins season tickets.

The messaging around efficacy has shifted to vaccine A, B, or C being "x% effective against serious conditions" and "100% effective against hospitalizations." This approach in messaging is addressing the fear factor head on.

I still wonder whether having some proof of vaccination is going to come forward as the means to conduct venue screening for attendance.

It does not appear to be happening yet.
What an overeach it would be if they did.

What an overeach it would be if they did.
I agree. I think we're going to end up recognizing there will still be people getting sick but not going to hospitals. That certainly would be an improved condition...and yes we could be in the stands under that paradigm.

On a side note a friend who got covid early (last March) toughed it out and seemingly came out okay. Recently though he's developed some type of low-level upper lungs-respiratory tract inflammation that is new. Speculation at this point for it to be a post-covid issue. Trying steroids to bring it under control. Ancecdotal only.

I agree. I think we're going to end up recognizing there will still be people getting sick but not going to hospitals. That certainly would be an improved condition...and yes we could be in the stands under that paradigm.

On a side note a friend who got covid early (last March) toughed it out and seemingly came out okay. Recently though he's developed some type of low-level upper lungs-respiratory tract inflammation that is new. Speculation at this point for it to be a post-covid issue. Trying steroids to bring it under control. Ancecdotal only.
Yep, I think we'll start to see/hear more and more reports of ongoing health issues tied to Covid, especially related to heart and lungs.

Ticket renewal emails are indeed out today and most experts are saying anyone wanting a vaccine will be able to get it by July. My personal hunch is it will actually be a bit earlier than that. If reality is 180 degrees different from my hunch and it runs into Aug... that is still in time for next school year and the football season.

hopefully there isn’t a bad mutation of the virus and herd immunity will be reached and it will finally be time to get back to normal. I feel like the chances of watching an entire season in person are looking pretty good.
I wrote the above comments only a few weeks ago and in that short time the suspected time frame to get anyone wanting the vaccine taken care of has moved from July to May. Things are moving very quickly now.

The Wild card remains there could be some sort of setback related to a mutation or new strain but short of that, I sill think we’ll all be in the stands at the bank for the Ohio State game and beyond.

I wrote the above comments only a few weeks ago and in that short time the suspected time frame to get anyone wanting the vaccine taken care of has moved from July to May. Things are moving very quickly now.

The Wild card remains there could be some sort of setback related to a mutation or new strain but short of that, I sill think we’ll all be in the stands at the bank for the Ohio State game and beyond.
I think the wild card is what happens as far as COVID spreading goes after the vaccine is widely available.... and if a lot of folks just choose not to get vaccinated.

If enough people just choose not to get vaccinated ... we'll see how that plays out.

Generally it takes a HUGE amount of coverage vaccine wise to really impact the spread of a disease and the vaccinese available now aren't magical in terms of providing immunity / preventing the spread like other vaccines.

jkmj2jmu7mm61.jpg

As early as April 1 seated outdoor venues can host up to 10k people...

We will be fine for fall. Now everyone just needs to do their part and get vaccinated and keep wearing a mask in the meantime.
Problem being in a recent poll, half of the Republicans say they aren't going to get vaccinated. Also some Independents are stating that it infringes on their freedom rights as well. I agree if everyone would simply get vaccinated and wear a mask for a while we could take care of this problem in a shorter amount of time.

Problem being in a recent poll, half of the Republicans say they aren't going to get vaccinated. Also some Independents are stating that it infringes on their freedom rights as well. I agree if everyone would simply get vaccinated and wear a mask for a while we could take care of this problem in a shorter amount of time.
I did a quick search and found dozens of surveys and polls stating that up to 1/3 of the country plan on skipping the vaccine. Republican males, Black and Hispanic communities lead the pack. The reasons vary from freedom issues, distrust based on the past and misinformation spread on social media platforms. Most of the surveys stating that 1/2 the country don't plan on it were from November. The numbers have continued to go up in regard to taking it since then.

We have a long ways to go before most in the country buy in and get it done. I got mine last week.

Both the real and perceived risk matrix around hospitalization (and possible intubation) is shifting as the vaccines become available, along with the improved understanding of potential treatments for those who do get seriously ill.

The real risk of hospitalization with vaccination drops to practically zero for that population, even with age and/or other co-morbidities. This is the game changer we've been waiting for.

The real risk of hospitalization for the unvaccinated remains the same...almost 100% of hospitalizations are due to age and/or other co-morbidities, with the vast majority of infected recovering, whether symptomatic or not. As the vaccination efforts target the aged and people with issues, the folks still in the possible hospitalization cohort is steadily shrinking.

There is no doubt that older individuals, especially those with co-morbidities, who elect not to get vaccinated for whatever reason remain a concern. But in theory a point should be reached where the overall public health threat...which is tied to hospitalizations...finally gets outweighed by the greater drag the closures and restrictions have on us as individuals as well as society and the economy.

No matter the politics it is the South that is leading the way relevant to butts in the seats this fall. Absent something unforeseen...such as a new variant that is extremely virulent and not controlled by the available vaccines...the current trajectory has the perceived risk being most people will think it's "safe" to sit outside with "strangers" for 3-4 hours to enjoy a football game once a week this coming fall. The mask and any social distancing policies in place at that time will be a very interesting dynamic.

We as fans should make it increasingly clear "that it's safe again" as the season gets closer. This will require lobbying the AD, Regents, and the B1G.

This is a good thing and the return to football will be a huge marker in The Great Recovery of 2021.

Last edited:

a point should be reached where the overall public health threat...which is tied to hospitalizations...finally gets outweighed by the greater drag the closures and restrictions have on us as individuals as well as society and the economy.
Well, not to downplay mental health or personal freedom by any means, but particularly the economy part is the part that's going to do it.

Hoping that this inflection point you speak of, happens no later than early summer. And the sooner in the late spring we can get there, the better.

Would be great to have (almost) a whole summer of pent up, full-blown economic activity.

Cap it off with a record breaking State Fair, and start up football tailgating!

I can think of a good 6-8 different reasons of why someone would elect to not get vaccinated at this point in time, and none of them are politically driven.

Alergy is valid, but rare. All the other excuses won’t be medically or scientifically valid.

Honestly curious, could you list them?
You know some people just don't like getting shots, right? Or some people who have friends or family members who have had bad experiences with the vaccination shots like bad reactions, getting sick, super sore for a few days. A woman I know, her husband is a big burly firefighter, he said if he had it to do over again he would NOT have gotten it. He got very sick for several days

Some people, especially the younger 18-30 crowd that has been relatively unaffected, think they're bulletproof, why bother getting the shot? To most of them, COVID has been far less inconvenient than the flu

My wife went to go get it and she waited in line for 3 hours for the first one (who has that kind of time?). On the second one she had a massive migraine for a few days.

If you're someone who typically never bothers to get the flu shot, what are the odds you'll get this one?

I'm not getting it anytime soon, I'd like to see how the Johnson & Johnson shot turns out because quite honestly I don't have the time or the motivation to haul my ass over somewhere on two separate occasions, ESPECIALLY if there are long wait times.

I would be hard-pressed to label any of the above as politically driven?

I've had my first one administered by Allina. My appt. was at 11:20 I was running a bit late, parked at 11:15, checked in at 11:21 and walked out at 11:45.

I've had my first one administered by Allina. My appt. was at 11:20 I was running a bit late, parked at 11:15, checked in at 11:21 and walked out at 11:45.
I know many people who have gotten the vaccine (all 3 brands) and all had a similar experience. In and out often before their allotted appointment time. Some side effects but nothing awful. It's easy.

You know some people just don't like getting shots, right? Or some people who have friends or family members who have had bad experiences with the vaccination shots like bad reactions, getting sick, super sore for a few days. A woman I know, her husband is a big burly firefighter, he said if he had it to do over again he would NOT have gotten it. He got very sick for several days

Some people, especially the younger 18-30 crowd that has been relatively unaffected, think they're bulletproof, why bother getting the shot? To most of them, COVID has been far less inconvenient than the flu

My wife went to go get it and she waited in line for 3 hours for the first one (who has that kind of time?). On the second one she had a massive migraine for a few days.

If you're someone who typically never bothers to get the flu shot, what are the odds you'll get this one?

I'm not getting it anytime soon, I'd like to see how the Johnson & Johnson shot turns out because quite honestly I don't have the time or the motivation to haul my ass over somewhere on two separate occasions, ESPECIALLY if there are long wait times.

I agree, none of those are political. I would argue that wanting to avoid the side affects is a little bit counter intuitive because by all accounts, most folks' side affects are less worse than the actual virus.

My basic point above around a real vs perceived risk "policy inflection point" (thanks Mpls) is that soon we'll reach a point that the numbers remaining unvaccinated will be an excuse for continued restrictions but not a reason for maintaining them, including butts in the seats this fall.

We have been told for a year now that "hospitalizations" was the reason for enduring this. Not too far away is when the pool of potential covid hospitalizations really basically overlaps with what was happening in the pre-covid world, especially around co-morbidities.

This will become an issue again in determining how long does vaccination impart enough immunity to mitigate hospitalization? 6 months? 1 year? 2 years? Longer...? This is not even being addressed yet...not a surprise nor a complaint...but will we end up getting a covid shot annually, every couple of years, etc. to keep the hospitalization risk manageable?

Regardless, I'm taking the shots not to keep me from getting sick, but to keep me out of the hospital. This should be my pass to my seats in 211 this fall to watch tOSU hopefully go down...

This has made me wonder about something though. Will the student athletes be required to be vaccinated to play this fall? I've not seen anything about this but hard to imagine some institution or conference wouldn't put this out there.

Peace of advice for those of you waiting to get your second shot. Hydrate,hydrate,hydrate. Before and immediately after. Advice from a first responder. Those that followed that advice, very, little if any problems.

This has made me wonder about something though. Will the student athletes be required to be vaccinated to play this fall? I've not seen anything about this but hard to imagine some institution or conference wouldn't put this out there.
I assume just the traditional "coach said we should do this" pressures will be enough for athletes to get vaccinated. I think most schools require various vaccinations anyhow.

Meanwhile the powers that be are probabbly hoping they don't have to step in it and make it official.

Last edited:

Yes, there are a small amount of folks who will have strong reactions to it. Not a reason to skip though, unless there is a known allergy to the ingredients. I have read that those who had Covid also have stronger reactions, meaning the shot is doing it's job. Also read the reaction is similar in those who were asymptomatic, and unaware they had Covid...

Top Bottom