This May Be The Year

ncgo4

Reaction score
This is a year that could truly be different for the Gophers. We know the defense was good last year. Claeys says it will be better this year and that means our D could be very good.

The question is our offense. We have 2 good 1 year wide outs returning and they could be much better. We have two very good tight ends returning and one of these could be very, very good. We have an experienced and improving O Line returning and we have very good running backs. We have several exciting prospects coming at running back and wide receiver. This is the year we will be in a position to be a good offensive football team.

Clearly the table is set for the best offense we've had in years. If our QB performs well this could be a very special football team. By that I don't mean incrementally better. I mean much better than last year. One where the close games last year are not close this year. More importantly, the close losses are clear victories. This is Kill & Company's 4th year and in their 4th year they seem to always attain a new level.

I scare myself when I think about it. I've been a fan since I saw my first game against Purdue in '60 or '61. I have been waiting for the stars to align since then and this could be that year. The scary part is that if this year isn't it next year will be for certain. Go Gophers!

Wait! What? No comment yet that sees all of the negatives?:drink::cheer::party::cool03::drink:

Wait! What? No comment yet that sees all of the negatives?:drink::cheer::party::cool03::drink:

This season will start off well but end in tears. I'm starting my marathon drinking tonight to dull the inevitable pain.

Have felt all along that 2014 was going to be the key year for evaluating this staff. The roster is theirs and the guys have been in their system for multiple seasons now. If they are going to get over the hump and take this program from also ran to viable contender they need to at the very least duplicate last seasons .500 BIG showing and hopefully improve on it.

I think we win 9-10 games but by "the year" as in peak than no i don't think this is "the year."

This is a year that could truly be different for the Gophers. We know the defense was good last year. Claeys says it will be better this year and that means our D could be very good.

The question is our offense. We have 2 good 1 year wide outs returning and they could be much better. We have two very good tight ends returning and one of these could be very, very good. We have an experienced and improving O Line returning and we have very good running backs. We have several exciting prospects coming at running back and wide receiver. This is the year we will be in a position to be a good offensive football team.

Clearly the table is set for the best offense we've had in years. If our QB performs well this could be a very special football team. By that I don't mean incrementally better. I mean much better than last year. One where the close games last year are not close this year. More importantly, the close losses are clear victories. This is Kill & Company's 4th year and in their 4th year they seem to always attain a new level.

I scare myself when I think about it. I've been a fan since I saw my first game against Purdue in '60 or '61. I have been waiting for the stars to align since then and this could be that year. The scary part is that if this year isn't it next year will be for certain. Go Gophers!

Love the positivity. The games last year were fun and entertaining to watch with the spread offense. We were confusing defenses by putting people in motion all the time. I think they will only get better. I LOVE the coaching staff. The recruiting strategy is working. We have tickets for the San Jose State game.

Love the positivity. The games last year were fun and entertaining to watch with the spread offense. We were confusing defenses by putting people in motion all the time. I think they will only get better. I LOVE the coaching staff. The recruiting strategy is working. We have tickets for the San Jose State game.
I love the direction the program is going, but I think we are at least a year away. We don't know we have a consistent QB, and no way do I think we are okay at DT. I love Claeys, but losing both Rojo and Rashede is a big deal. Having to play a couple of true freshmen DTs in this conference drives me nuts. I don't think anyone can beat Wisconsin and iowa with freshmen DTs.

I love the direction the program is going, but I think we are at least a year away. We don't know we have a consistent QB, and no way do I think we are okay at DT. I love Claeys, but losing both Rojo and Rashede is a big deal. Having to play a couple of true freshmen DTs in this conference drives me nuts. I don't think anyone can beat Wisconsin and iowa with freshmen DTs.

Me too.

Agree. 2015 will be the U's best shot at a conference championship since 03; everything should be in place. But if this year's squad makes a run I won't complain.

We will contend this year, and it wont be as big of a story as last year. Next year we will be part of the discussion.

I love all the blue sky in this thread. I hope the Gophers surpass expectations this year in a bigger and better way than they already surpassed them last year. In terms of a wet blanket, we will have plenty of that as I'm sure there will be lots of national predictions putting us near the bottom of our division, and not anywhere near the dark horse contender status that is being talked about here.

There is the biggest non conference challenge in a while (TCU) and crossover games against both Michigan and OSU so I'd be plenty happy if the team could even duplicate last year's overall record.

I agree with what others have said. It all comes down to Leidner and the guys who have to catch the ball. Everyone else will be good enough for the Gophers to be great (OL, RB, DL, LB, DB, ST). #7 has to be able to hit his guys on the play action pass and make the 3rd down passes to get first downs. Looking forward to the reports from those who attend the open practices in August.

I agree that losing Rashede is a huge blow. But we still have ekpe, Botticelli, Timms, and who knows, Legania could turn it on his last year.

We're always going to be breaking in new starters at critical positions.

For the doubters and those dark moments of MN sports fan insecurity

http://youtu.be/6ldAQ6Rh5ZI

Having to play a couple of true freshmen DTs in this conference drives me nuts. I don't think anyone can beat Wisconsin and iowa with freshmen DTs.

By the time we play Iowa there will be no "freshmen" on the team. We may not win 'em all, but we'll compete in all of 'em! That is going to be a great feeling in and of itself.

Who are these freshman DT's people are talking about? Did Ekpe and Botticelli go back in time? I expect this to be the best team of the Kill era, but it will not be "The Year" until the schedule helps us out wisconsin-style and gives us a couple easy crossover games. 4-4 would be a very successful season.

One of my predictions for this year (fair or not) is that, by the end of the season, Leidner will either be regarded as the messiah or a choke artist. It seems like a lot of pieces are in place with a big question mark at the passing game. I think we can have a great team even if he personally is good but not great, and that would make him look really good. However, if he struggles, we could be in the same boat as last year where we are some easy missed passes away from being a very good team. Still can't forget that wide open receiver Nelson missed over the middle on fourth down in the Wisconsin game.

There is the biggest non conference challenge in a while (TCU) and crossover games against both Michigan and OSU so I'd be plenty happy if the team could even duplicate last year's overall record.[/QUOTE]

TCU had to play in a real conference for the first time since 1996 and ended up going 2-7, after getting worn down, so I am not so sure they are anything to get to worked up about.

I will suggest that UNLV, San Jose St. and the 2012 Syracuse team Minnesota played in the NC schedule were as challenging or better then TCU may be next year.

If teams these elite non-power conference like Boise St., Cincinnati, No. Illinois and TCU(former non Power) had to slug it out every week against Big Ten type teams or SEC teams, they'd all get worn down and beat up after a few games, and their records would look a lot like TCUs record last year. Patterson can coach though, so it could be a challenge if he has some fresh talent coming in.

TCU had to play in a real conference for the first time since 1996 and ended up going 2-7, after getting worn down, so I am not so sure they are anything to get to worked up about.

When they weren't worn down they gave LSU all they could handle to start last season. 16 starters back for TCU plus this team's back to back late game meltdowns in Texas, I'll get worked up for you.

Who are these freshman DT's people are talking about? Did Ekpe and Botticelli go back in time? I expect this to be the best team of the Kill era, but it will not be "The Year" until the schedule helps us out wisconsin-style and gives us a couple easy crossover games. 4-4 would be a very successful season.

The freshman DTs are exceptionally good recruits. They may get PT in the rotation. Red shirting freshmen on the DL is always best, but these guys are the real deal. Injuries could factor in.

If teams these elite non-power conference like Boise St., Cincinnati, No. Illinois and TCU(former non Power) had to slug it out every week against Big Ten type teams or SEC teams, they'd all get worn down and beat up after a few games, and their records would look a lot like TCUs record last year.

Oh, you mean teams that are recruiting players to non-power-conference schools might have trouble going up against schools that are recruiting players to power-conference schools? That's some hard-hitting insight right there.

I also couldn't help but notice that you completely ignored when TCU went 4-5 in the Big 12 and went to a bowl game in a power conference.

Oh, you mean teams that are recruiting players to non-power-conference schools might have trouble going up against schools that are recruiting players to power-conference schools? That's some hard-hitting insight right there.

I also couldn't help but notice that you completely ignored when TCU went 4-5 in the Big 12 and went to a bowl game in a power conference.

Even at 4-5 and a bowl game, they were still a losing Big 12 team.

I was definitely more worried about SJSU heading into last year than TCU this year. They have a smaller, faster D that our O will match up well with running it up the middle.

The feeling that something good is juuust about to happen. That's a terrifying feeling for Minnesotans.

I can't decide whether to get pumped for the season or to temper it like a repeatedly-burned Minnesota fan.

y2Zwk.gif

I think we'll take a step back this year in terms of W-L, but a step forward in terms of team development. I'd be happy with 6-6 & a bowl game given the schedule & our QB situation. Not only does Mitch Leidner have to prove he can be the guy, but he also has to stay healthy the entire year or else we throw in a completely untested back-up QB.

I was definitely more worried about SJSU heading into last year than TCU this year. They have a smaller, faster D that our O will match up well with running it up the middle.

I don't know. I bought one of those preseason magazines (Athlon I think) and they have a section on players returning from injury. They listed two TCU players who were injured for most of last season, both defensive IIRC, who will be returning and will apparently make that team better. Time will tell. Go Gophers!

Top Bottom