This isn't going as planned

Honest question for you. How many of those 8 guys have you watched play any meaningful minutes?
I have not watched many Johns Hopkins or William and Mary games so not many. Nor New Hampshire or Lafayette so it will all be new to me. I am looking forward to what this mid major team looks like in the Big Ten, should be fun.

So all the assumptions of him not having any idea what he is doing; doesn't have a plan; was just hired because he is....; had any chance of getting Garcia, King or Heide; wanted to keep all of the old players; can't find anyone interested in the U; etc, etc, etc are all totally tangible?

It is very easy to criticize and complain. Like Built said, Ben has no problem filling a roster of respectably rated kids, but he is looking for "his" type of players. One of the problems is that many other coaches are doing the same thing. It is like looking at PJ vs Brewster. The brew just wanted the highest rated players he could get, PJ wants the best players with the best attitude no matter their rating.
I think going forward that is the strategy and it is a good one for Ben. That part has me excited and I really believe it is the right way to go. The concern is that he has a short window to make people believe he can do it, so that they will trust coming here. No matter how much people like Ben, the better recruits won't come it they don't believe they can win.

That's why I think it might have been a big error to melt it all down for the coming year. I don't know that any of the kids we had were bad attitude guys. Gabe, Robbins, Tre, Freeman (yeah we are going to wish we had him) and others could have been helpful in getting Ben off to a nice start. Part of his job is to sell kids that they can win with his system. The other part is coaching them up to actually do it. I think he could have done both with that group + Ihnen and some of the newcomers he has picked up. Builtbadgers always said we had the talent but that Pitino was a poor coach. Ok- what could Ben have done with that great talent? Carr was probably gone no matter what Ben said, but it sure doesn't appear that he tried very hard to keep what we had and that is going to make this next year historically bad unless Ben pulls a rabbit out of the hat.

So all the assumptions of him not having any idea what he is doing; doesn't have a plan; was just hired because he is....; had any chance of getting Garcia, King or Heide; wanted to keep all of the old players; can't find anyone interested in the U; etc, etc, etc are all totally tangible?

It is very easy to criticize and complain. Like Built said, Ben has no problem filling a roster of respectably rated kids, but he is looking for "his" type of players. One of the problems is that many other coaches are doing the same thing. It is like looking at PJ vs Brewster. The brew just wanted the highest rated players he could get, PJ wants the best players with the best attitude no matter their rating.
That’s a fair comparison. I was more speaking to the comments about factual and tangible things. What you’re doing is defending a process we know nothing about. Which is just as ridiculous as critiquing it.
My current complaints—along with many others on here—are about the goal posts moving towards Johnson. “He’ll build a solid roster...well, eventually” “it’s all about the 22 class...well, maybe 23” and so on. We can talk about wait and see but if we’re going to speculate and discuss it’s easy to say “he missed on these recruits and these guys he wanted to stay left” because those are facts. Doesn’t mean he can’t be successful. I have no doubt they won’t finish much lower in the conference this year than they did last. However I would be stunned if they beat multiple ranked teams like they did last year.

No one even brings up the possibility of a top half conference or better defense.

I rarely, if ever, make any kind of prediction without having some sort of measurable evidence. There's enough measurable evidence to suggest these guards are, for the most part, decent-to-good shooters. I have little or no measurable evidence to suggest that this team will be a top half defensive team in the conference. If I made that prediction, that would be speculative wishful thinking and I don't care much for that sort of thing.

I think going forward that is the strategy and it is a good one for Ben. That part has me excited and I really believe it is the right way to go. The concern is that he has a short window to make people believe he can do it, so that they will trust coming here. No matter how much people like Ben, the better recruits won't come it they don't believe they can win.

That's why I think it might have been a big error to melt it all down for the coming year. I don't know that any of the kids we had were bad attitude guys. Gabe, Robbins, Tre, Freeman (yeah we are going to wish we had him) and others could have been helpful in getting Ben off to a nice start. Part of his job is to sell kids that they can win with his system. The other part is coaching them up to actually do it. I think he could have done both with that group + Ihnen and some of the newcomers he has picked up. Builtbadgers always said we had the talent but that Pitino was a poor coach. Ok- what could Ben have done with that great talent? Carr was probably gone no matter what Ben said, but it sure doesn't appear that he tried very hard to keep what we had and that is going to make this next year historically bad unless Ben pulls a rabbit out of the hat.
Ouch. The worst part is you are correct.

What was the deal with Gates? Stopped following after we hired Ben. I see he re-upped with Cleveland State in May.

I know people were talking Boston College and here, obviously he passed and/or was not offered at those places.

Waiting to take over Florida State?
I do wonder what the deal is with Gates. He seemed like one of the top prospects in a market where a bunch of jobs that were potentially good fits (BC, DePaul, Minnesota, Marquette) came open, and he didn't get any of them. 3 of those 4 made hires that were somewhat underwhelming. Could be a really bad interview, or maybe he has a behind the scenes agreement at FSU. Either way I'm surprised he is still at Cleveland State.

What was the deal with Gates? Stopped following after we hired Ben. I see he re-upped with Cleveland State in May.

I know people were talking Boston College and here, obviously he passed and/or was not offered at those places.

Waiting to take over Florida State?
I assume so.

The 2021 recruiting appears to be done. Woof. Ben needs a couple 2022 commits ASAP.

The 2021 recruiting appears to be done. Woof. Ben needs a couple 2022 commits ASAP.

Don't be too sure. Verbal Commits just announced a Nebraska commit a couple of minutes ago. There are still lots of uncommitted players left.

Maybe Built or someone else can piggyback on this - because I do not claim to have any inside information - but I have read and heard a number of comments from different so-called experts and insiders that suggest there were significant issues on last year's team.

If those accounts are correct, it was a bad situation, and that could be part of the reason for the exodus - players wanting to get away from whatever was going on.

And, that could also be a factor in a new coach wanting a fresh start.

I don't think Johnson is crazy or deliberately trying to destroy the program. he has to know he is taking a very difficult path as a first-year coach. and that makes me think there are reasons for what he is doing. that is, reasons other than sheer incompetence......

Maybe Built or someone else can piggyback on this - because I do not claim to have any inside information - but I have read and heard a number of comments from different so-called experts and insiders that suggest there were significant issues on last year's team.

If those accounts are correct, it was a bad situation, and that could be part of the reason for the exodus - players wanting to get away from whatever was going on.

And, that could also be a factor in a new coach wanting a fresh start.

I don't think Johnson is crazy or deliberately trying to destroy the program. he has to know he is taking a very difficult path as a first-year coach. and that makes me think there are reasons for what he is doing. that is, reasons other than sheer incompetence......
I don't know, but I would hazzard a guess that if true the "significant issues" surrounded bench players who never got a shot at developing until they were thrown into the fire after injuries to Robbins and Gabe. Then add the fact that Carr viewed himself as a one man team. I would guess that Robbins might have been frustrated with the lack of feeding the post from Carr. My point is that these were not likely personal character issues, but rather guys that saw that they were not getting a shot at developing from the bench- Mutaf, Freeman, Gach and others were sitting and rotting. It should have been an opportunity for Ben to sell the idea that things would be different from schemes to playing time for those who gave the effort. Carr was always going to be gone.

I get the frustration EG#9 we can only hope that things get better and recruiting picks. Brand new staff and new coach, all I can do is hope things pick up and improve.

A couple commits might temporarily relax some members of the fanbase but there really is no rush.

A couple commits might temporarily relax some members of the fanbase but there really is no rush.
I think there is a rush. You need to create a bandwagon effect with recruits. The first commits are huge to getting others to come. Until we get one good one, it is going to be difficult to get them over the line. There is no urgency (so many open spots) and for most there are schools that are doing better on their list. You want players to feel like they better commit or they might lose their slot.
Get Holloman, or Payne and Carrington and you can get the ball rolling. We need a LOT of recruits. The sooner we get it going the better chance we have. Proven winners? They can wait as long as they want- no problem.

I don't know, but I would hazzard a guess that if true the "significant issues" surrounded bench players who never got a shot at developing until they were thrown into the fire after injuries to Robbins and Gabe. Then add the fact that Carr viewed himself as a one man team. I would guess that Robbins might have been frustrated with the lack of feeding the post from Carr. My point is that these were not likely personal character issues, but rather guys that saw that they were not getting a shot at developing from the bench- Mutaf, Freeman, Gach and others were sitting and rotting. It should have been an opportunity for Ben to sell the idea that things would be different from schemes to playing time for those who gave the effort. Carr was always going to be gone.
Guys didn't have relationships with one another that kept them together, and/or didn't fit what Ben wants them to do - he wasn't going to compromise just to keep someone around. Other than Liam (who Ben would have kept but was following Uncle) or Gabe (who simply wanted a fresh start) the others weren't worth "selling" to keep them based on skill or dynamics with teammates, and the evidence is pretty clear based on where they ended up. If they were that good they would have ended up at better programs.

Ben has the expectation to work hard and work smart everyday. To lead a program on the mission of improving everyday and to do it with integrity.
And win. If he does all of that without winning, he isn't living up to expectations.

Guys didn't have relationships with one another that kept them together, and/or didn't fit what Ben wants them to do - he wasn't going to compromise just to keep someone around. Other than Liam (who Ben would have kept but was following Uncle) or Gabe (who simply wanted a fresh start) the others weren't worth "selling" to keep them based on skill or dynamics with teammates, and the evidence is pretty clear based on where they ended up. If they were that good they would have ended up at better programs.
did Pitino recruit trash?

And win. If he does all of that without winning, he isn't living up to expectations.
Yes and we all remember very well the Builtbadgers standards for what winning looks like were very high (which is good). I see no reason why the same standard would not hold true for the next coach.

The standards, timing, and excuses are all building.

Really solid post and sums up my own thoughts very well. Lots of issues and the goal posts keep moving with Johnson’s supporters. If anyone who believes he was the correct hire can defend his tenure so far I’d love to see why beyond “give it time” and “high character guys”
My thoughts exactly. Ben's tenure will be 1-2 years. Then, we will be begging for Richard to return after a uber successful run with the Lobos. Don't know what you've got, 'til it's gone.

Every time I see the title of this thread my first thought is - how long have you been a Gopher fan?

When has it gone according to plan? hmmmm... Maybe the first 9 months after Tubby became our coach and I was feeling like we had the bigten right where we wanted? Maybe during the 97 run? Maybe back when I was a kid watching Flip and McHale?

Seriously, who thought this was going to go according to the plan?

Every time I see the title of this thread my first thought is - how long have you been a Gopher fan?

When has it gone according to plan? hmmmm... Maybe the first 9 months after Tubby became our coach and I was feeling like we had the bigten right where we wanted? Maybe during the 97 run? Maybe back when I was a kid watching Flip and McHale?

Seriously, who thought this was going to go according to the plan?
Coyle, obviously.

Gophers are B1G champs in 2023 and make it to the final four baby!! BJ for national coach of the year…….

I’m drunk

Coyle, obviously.
I think the U's plan was to pick a nice safe candidate, local guy, connections to the U, not going to break the bank, someone probably happy to take a pay cut if we had another year of zero attendence due to covid, someone to allow all the school leaders to pat themselves on the back and signal their virtue here in the age of Floyd, someone that could tickle the ear of the selection committee with his plans to reach the local talent no matter how unrealistic. I think the plan was just to pick the lowest risk candidate and be prepared to throw him under the bus if it does not work out.

I actually hope this does not go according to plan. I hope BJ is shown to be a high-risk high-reward decision that pays off big time. I hope BJ is shown to be able to cast a solid vision for the program, shown to be a recruiting expert, and absolutely kills it with game strategy and player development.

I think the U's plan was to pick a nice safe candidate, local guy, connections to the U, not going to break the bank, someone probably happy to take a pay cut if we had another year of zero attendence due to covid, someone to allow all the school leaders to pat themselves on the back and signal their virtue here in the age of Floyd, someone that could tickle the ear of the selection committee with his plans to reach the local talent no matter how unrealistic. I think the plan was just to pick the lowest risk candidate and be prepared to throw him under the bus if it does not work out.

I actually hope this does not go according to plan. I hope BJ is shown to be a high-risk high-reward decision that pays off big time. I hope BJ is shown to be able to cast a solid vision for the program, shown to be a recruiting expert, and absolutely kills it with game strategy and player development.

I've heard from a few people that Ben Johnson was the safe candidate, I strongly disagree. I think Craig Smith, Niko Medved, hell, even Tim Miles would be safe candidates. I'm not necessarily saying they were better, but certainly safer.

When you hire an assistant coach from Xavier (without any HC experience) to be the HC of a Big 10 basketball team, it is swinging for the fences. It is saying that there is something SO special about this guy that I'm willing to risk it.

I've heard from a few people that Ben Johnson was the safe candidate, I strongly disagree. I think Craig Smith, Niko Medved, hell, even Tim Miles would be safe candidates. I'm not necessarily saying they were better, but certainly safer.

When you hire an assistant coach from Xavier (without any HC experience) to be the HC of a Big 10 basketball team, it is swinging for the fences. It is saying that there is something SO special about this guy that I'm willing to risk it.

A la Tim the toolman Brewwwster....he was special. got us a 26 ranked class, he could recruit, got some solid coaches around him but he was not a head coach. hasn't sniffed a HC position since.

Top Bottom