The Comparable 4: Minnesota (Johnson), Iowa State (Otzelberger), Penn State (Shrewsberry), Utah (Smith)

Geez would I hate to trade places with an Iowa State fan.

Think about it would you rather have terrible basketball for years…but unrealistic hope… or be ISU (Otzelberger) and be 10-2 (sweet 16 year 1) and just crushed #12 Baylor at home in a crazy atmosphere.

Think about it would you rather have terrible basketball for years…but unrealistic hope… or be ISU (Otzelberger) and be 10-2 (sweet 16 year 1) and just crushed #12 Baylor at home in a crazy atmosphere.
Hey that’s unfair, we haven’t even actually started are rebuild. This is CHJs second year 0 and he only has four of his own players.

Looking forward to winning on Tuesday and you'll still be bitching about Carrington's rebounding not being important.

Last edited:

Hey that’s unfair, we haven’t even actually started are rebuild. This is CHJs second year 0 and he only has four of his own players.
Looking forward to winning on Tuesday and you'll still be bitching about Carrington's rebounding not bring important.
I’m not bitching about it not being important. It’s a nice bonus, but he was brought in to be a shooter. Shooters are counted on to hit shots / make buckets…not get 6 rebounds and go 3-10.

Or Henley. Anyone but Samuels is my stance. He can help the freshman crew Ben has decided to put in the last few games not be a total disaster for 5 minutes.
Carrington has earned a shot at starting while Henley rightfully lost his for the season imo. Agree that Samuels absolutely should be coming off the bench. Starting him after Carrington got healthy was puzzling.

Carrington has earned a shot at starting while Henley rightfully lost his for the season imo. Agree that Samuels absolutely should be coming off the bench. Starting him after Carrington got healthy was puzzling.
I think cbj liked the ball movement from Samuels

Samuels is not a b10 player. And if our excuses are built around youth, let them play. Carrington probably hasn’t earned starting, but he is the best 2g we have on the roster

But how many 10 point games do their freshmen have?

Utah won today, bringing the fighting Craig Smiths to 4-0 in conference and 11-4 overall. Too bad he has the wrong skin color- maybe he could have been hired here.

On the positive side, his contract is 6 years/ $12.6mil. Coyle could likely poach him from Utah if he’s successful there and CBJ doesn’t work out.

Last edited:

UPDATED THROUGH GAMES PLAYED 12/31/22
Coaches are listed in order of overall winning percentage.

1 Otzelberger (Iowa State) -- 32-15 overall (68.1%), 18-15 vs. Power 6 (54.5%), NCAA Tournament Appearances/Record (1/2-1)

2 Shrewsberry (Penn State) -- 24-20 overall (54.5%), 12-19 vs. Power 6 (38.7%)

3 Smith (Utah) -- 22-24 overall (47.8%), 10-21 vs. Power 6 (32.3%)

4 Johnson (Minnesota) -- 19-23 overall (45.2%), 6-22 vs. Power 6 (21.4%)

NEXT UPDATE: 1/10/23

Last edited:

Utah won today, bringing the fighting Craig Smiths to 4-0 in conference and 11-4 overall. Too bad he has the wrong skin color- maybe he could have been hired here.

On the positive side, his contract is 6 years/ $12.6mil. Coyle could likely poach him from Utah if he’s successful there and CBJ doesn’t work out.
I think the Craig Smith opportunity is closing until his kids graduate from HS.

I think the Craig Smith opportunity is closing until his kids graduate from HS.
I think we'll get to the point...and maybe we're already there...when Smith has found a home in every sense of the word. Salt Lake City is a nice place to live, and we know from history that the Utes can compete nationally.

UPDATED THROUGH GAMES PLAYED 12/31/22
Coaches are listed in order of overall winning percentage.

1 Otzelberger -- 32-15 overall (68.1%), 18-15 vs. Power 6 (54.5%), NCAA Tournament Appearances/Record (1/2-1)

2 Shrewsberry -- 24-20 overall (54.5%), 12-19 vs. Power 6 (38.7%)

3 Smith -- 22-24 overall (47.8%), 10-21 vs. Power 6 (32.3%)

4 Johnson -- 19-23 overall (45.2%), 6-22 vs. Power 6 (21.4%)

NEXT UPDATE: 2/1/23
The true interesting thing would be to peer into parallel universes where you could do "musical chairs" with these coaches on which school hired which coach, and then see who did better where.

The comparison, as is, will never truly be that meaningful, because the four different places are still quite different situations. Not truly apples to apples.

Shrewsbury killed it in the portal. Pickett, Funk and Wynter combined for 60 tonight.

The true interesting thing would be to peer into parallel universes where you could do "musical chairs" with these coaches on which school hired which coach, and then see who did better where.

The comparison, as is, will never truly be that meaningful, because the four different places are still quite different situations. Not truly apples to apples.
By that standard, you could never really compare anything.

We do this all the time in sports. Ranking players across teams as all-conference, even though they don't have the same teammates. Ranking teams in polls even though they don't play the same competition. On and on really.

The comparison is fair because he is comparing against programs with a similar recent track record. It would be ludicrous to compare Minnesota against two years of North Carolina or Duke or Arizona.

By that standard, you could never really compare anything.
It's always a spectrum. I don't think the situations of these four schools are actually that comparable, where you can just throw these records out like this and have it be meaningful.

But it's for fun anyway.

We do this all the time in sports. Ranking players across teams as all-conference, even though they don't have the same teammates. Ranking teams in polls even though they don't play the same competition. On and on really.

The comparison is fair because he is comparing against programs with a similar recent track record. It would be ludicrous to compare Minnesota against two years of North Carolina or Duke or Arizona.
I'm still not sure I agree that the four schools situations are that comparable.

If Craig Smith crashes and burns in SLC, it won't prove that he wouldn't have done a significantly better job than Ben if he had been hired here instead. And the converse also holds, in my opinion. That is essentially the gist of what this comparison is trying to get at.

Watching Iowa State tonight for the first time is eye opening. The contrast in roster construction and playing styles couldn’t be further from the direction we’re going.

The dribble penetration and movement is so much more effective.

Watching Iowa State tonight for the first time is eye opening. The contrast in roster construction and playing styles couldn’t be further from the direction we’re going.

Which of the 4 points in the final 12 minutes of the half were your favorite? ;)

They play really good defense and have good intensity!

Going scoreless for 10 minutes and losing your 18 point lead wasn't impressive. Understand your point though.

Going scoreless for 10 minutes and losing your 18 point lead wasn't impressive. Understand your point though.
Ha! TV was overtaken when I went to dinner. It was an impressive start though!

Top Bottom