Ten Gophers football players indefinately suspended

Lots of folks making some pretty definite statements about what happened.... like they were there.

Don't think indemnity is the word you are looking for here...
Well, "paying for something twice" can seem to be the same as being tried twice for the same crime.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Oh my. Should minorities be able to vote?

Oh I see. You are one of those. Sigh. Yes, in fact my kind of person thought they should be free and voting while your kind of person was enslaving them. You are a morality of the present day guy- a stick your finger in the air and see which way the wind is blowing person.

So the woman is a junior? She drinks 5 or 6 shots at her own apartment of her own volition with her friend before going out? She sees some guys out and decides to go to Djams apartment complex and to Djams apt (her friend decides not too)? She decides to go with Djam into his bedroom? She decides to engage in sex with Djam (video shows her consensual and playful). Other players start having sex with her? She decides not to try and get up and leave? She does not physically resist? There are no signs of forced sex or her trying to resist? Is this correct from what I have read?

Personally I find the players (after Djam) actions the epitome of shameful and retarded (and that is disparaging the word retarded in this case). I'm not trying to be self righteous here, I could care less what people do consensually in their sex lives, 10 on 1, who cares. I'm just basing my opinion off what I've read, as you'll see later.

Can we surmise the woman was telling them to stop and yelling to stop and they didn't?

As a father of a daughter I would like to think my daughter would behave much differently. Obviously the friend chose not to go to the apartment complex, the apartment, and the bedroom. Someone posted on here about being an adult and being able to make choices.

Ultimately if she was saying stop and no and these morons continued without respecting that, they should be expelled. The question is how do people know if that's the case? The fact she called her sister immediately after, went to a hospital, and filed a police report lends credence to her statement in the police report that she was telling them to stop (after Djam) and was in fear because they did not and there were so many of them and they were much larger and stronger than her.

Obviously it will all play out, and in the meantime there is not a damn thing any of us can do. Bottom line is these guys decided to jump in for 2nds and thirds, and fourths, etc and if the woman really wanted that she wouldn't have immediately gone to a hospital and filed a police report. It's the 2nd, 3rd, and 4ths imo that should be expelled. I don't see how the rest are involved, but maybe that comes out eventually. I say good riddance to the guys who didn't have the mental capacity to do the right thing from everything I've read. I could care less if they stay or go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with this

Have no idea if this is a witch hunt like some have claimed but there does seem to be the appearance the EOAA may have been looking to hammer the football program. If recently read the EOAA voiced their concerns to AD Teague back in 2014 about Title-IX related complaints involving the football team that the EOAA believed required action be taken.

Maybe the EOAA saw their opportunity if they were looking for one and went as far as possible and involved as many players as they could with their recommendations regarding this incident.

How about holding players being fully supported by taxpayers and university to the tune of 100-150 K over 4-5 years accountable for their actions? How about setting a reasonable standard of behavior for student athletes that are visible ambassadors of the university? Additional suspension time, even expulsion for the real bad actor(s) seems reasonable to me.

These players are not irreplaceable. Hardly so.
Estimates of the cost of a d1 power 5 conference football player for 4 years are $500K....taxpayer money...far more than just tuition, room and board...coaching, trainers, docs, flights etc.

As far as the posters who say that women are allowed to rape men (have sex with them without consent), that is not the case. The EOCC would also investigate that it just doesn't occur often. The reason it seems like women go to the EOCC so often is that statistics say that 93.7% of rapists are men.

What was it like for women before Title 9? There weren't organized sports for girls...not in elementary school, not in middle school, and very little in high school and college. When left to the men who controlled all the athletic departments back then, they did basically nothing for women. So if you complain about Title 9, you should complain about the guys who abused their power so much and who discriminated against women to such a degree that Title 9 became law. Those old boys didn't do a darn thing and Title 9 was the result...and now our girls can play sports at all ages.

As far as the posters who think donors don't matter (ie. Bob)...really? Want that new athletic facility? Think this kind of crap doesn't offend people in polite society who donate 7 figure donations? Does the school really want to alienate them so that the secondary plays well in a bowl game? You are so naive it's embarrassing.

Again, guys can have orgies with consenting women. Many donors won't however support a program where drinking, orgies, harassment are part of the culture. There are not the first guys accused of rape under Kill/Claeys. I am in Colorado and CU lost a chancellor, university president, AD and head coach over their sex scandal. I don't think a single player went to jail but not taking strong action made folks lose their jobs up the entire line. It divided the community but more folks were against the athletic department except for the hardcore boosters. It has taken 15 years for CU to recover...and considering they were ranked in the top 10 and still didn't sell out their modest sized stadium except once (I believe) is evidence that condoning this kind of crap...legal or not...is very damaging for a school and a program.

So until you are the one writing big checks, I'd be wary about supporting this kind of behavior even if it was consensual (which in this case it is allegedly not). We may have 4 rapes on our hand...where 4 players raped a drunk woman and a bunch of guys who harassed her and lied. If a recruit was present as one poster said, that is even more concerning. It is not creepy to think it is inappropriate to line up to screw a drunk woman. In my world is it "creepy" to think that is okay behavior and that we should give scholarships to athletes who do this kind of thing. People are allowed to have standards and morals and judge others based on their standards and morals. The tone of this board alone shows why it is necessary to have the EOCC in the first place.

Lots of large companies like the one I work for do a lot of preventative measures. Does the U, the athletic teams in particular do these preventative measures to hold players accountable? Maybe you can't control the actions of some of the players who are plain bad seeds, but you can prevent a mass epidemic of bad judgement by constant re-assertions.

Once or twice a year we have mandatory training or meetings on topics like harassment in the work place and the consequences, legalities, and what is expected of every employee. This creates a culture of awareness.

They do this for code of ethical conduct, safety in the workplace, chemical safety, fire & tornado drills, etc...

That again is where Jerry Kill's leadership is missed. He reminded players constantly in private and in public that their actions help or hurt the team, the U, and the State as a whole. The players have to be accountable to themselves and to the team. Their actions on and off the playing field reflects on the entire team.

Coyle and Claeys have a lot on their plates. The actions of the four players that occurred a while back may have not resulted in prosecutions or charges. But, the reverberations go far.

Damage is done in the court of public opinion and in the Title IX oversight.

Too hard to read, not enough commas.

How about holding players being fully supported by taxpayers and university to the tune of 100-150 K over 4-5 years accountable for their actions? How about setting a reasonable standard of behavior for student athletes that are visible ambassadors of the university? Additional suspension time, even expulsion for the real bad actor(s) seems reasonable to me.

These players are not irreplaceable. Hardly so.

The Athletic department is paid for by revenue streams from athletic events not your tax assessments. However reasonable human behavior should still be expected...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No fair. You're very certain of what went on that night. You have a big advantage over everybody else.

What I am certain of is that a group of Gopher football players had sex with a girl who had 5 or 6 vodkas and the story ended up on the front page of the newspaper. If a football player can't figure out a way to have sex with a girl without it becoming a major news story then at a minimum I don't want him on my team. Depending on the evidence he should probably also get suspended or expelled from school.

It is not hard to have sex with a girl and have her like it. Most guys learn that faily quickly. My friends and I spent are college years having sex with any willing girl who came along. There were lots of them. And not one of them ever reported us to the cops. As a matter of fact, I have never met anyone in my life who has ever been reported to the police for having sex with a girl. It is not a hard thing to avoid.

Anyone that has sexual intercourse with their LAWFULLY wedded spouse should do so only with a sheet with a hole cut in it separating the two bodies. Further, if two unmarried adults find themselves to be unfortunate enough to be in the same bed together, a bundling board MUST be installed in order to prevent any pre-marital coitus. Any DECENT person knows this but i'm sure the degenerates on Gopherhole will try to rationalize their disgusting sexual ways.

Thanks for the laugh. Much needed at this point.

Coyle is very low energy. Sad.

surely, a post that can't be trumped. With that, our secondary will play a Yuuuge role in our bowl game Win. Our D line will put QB Falk under extreme extreme extreme vetting. WSU's passing attack is just a chinese hoax.

I've been trying to think about this from a bigger perspective. This what I churned up for now.
----

These are kids though. They don't fully grasp the severity of their consequences. They are trying to figure out acceptable behavior in an age of immediate feedback, in a world of varying degrees of right and wrong, acceptable and unacceptable behavior. They feel persecuted because that is part of adolescence. For some, the feeling of persecution also comes from their environment.

To combat unjust persecution, they record parts of their actions as a protective behavor that also can work as a mode of feedback. Protection from a legal system. Protection from overbearing authority figures. Protection from being accused of doing something wrong. They get feedback on how to do things better.

Unfortunately, these recordings are evidence that can be used against them as well as protect them. This is true with sexual encounters as well as encounters with police. Kids don't see that side of their "protective actions" because they mostly record emotionally charged interactions that can be replayed over and over for titillating reactions.

Just my imperfect insight from trying see things from a football players point of view.

I've been trying to think about this from a bigger perspective. This what I churned up for now.
----

These are kids though. They don't fully grasp the severity of their consequences. They are trying to figure out acceptable behavior in an age of immediate feedback, in a world of varying degrees of right and wrong, acceptable and unacceptable behavior. They feel persecuted because that is part of adolescence. For some, the feeling of persecution also comes from their environment.

To combat unjust persecution, they record parts of their actions as a protective behavor that also can work as a mode of feedback. Protection from a legal system. Protection from overbearing authority figures. Protection from being accused of doing something wrong. They get feedback on how to do things better.

Unfortunately, these recordings are evidence that can be used against them as well as protect them. This is true with sexual encounters as well as encounters with police. Kids don't see that side of their "protective actions" because they mostly record emotionally charged interactions that can be replayed over and over for titillating reactions.

Just my imperfect insight from trying see things from a football players point of view.

My simpler take, respectfully, is some folks showcase their lack of common sense and/or human decency with the decisions they make.

----

They aren't kids, they are adults. Don't perpetuate an enabling environment for people who make bad decisions, it does no one any favors.

What I am certain of is that a group of Gopher football players had sex with a girl who had 5 or 6 vodkas and the story ended up on the front page of the newspaper. If a football player can't figure out a way to have sex with a girl without it becoming a major news story then at a minimum I don't want him on my team. Depending on the evidence he should probably also get suspended or expelled from school.

It is not hard to have sex with a girl and have her like it. Most guys learn that faily quickly. My friends and I spent are college years having sex with any willing girl who came along. There were lots of them. And not one of them ever reported us to the cops. As a matter of fact, I have never met anyone in my life who has ever been reported to the police for having sex with a girl. It is not a hard thing to avoid.

It's only a major story because they are football players.

You don't know anyone that ever had group sex?

They aren't kids, they are adults. Don't perpetuate an enabling environment for people who make bad decisions, it does no one any favors.
Legally, they are adults. Developmentally, they are still adolescents. This was proven by research that was done in part at the U.

Some Day...Maybe said:
So the woman is a junior? She drinks 5 or 6 shots at her own apartment of her own volition with her friend before going out? She sees some guys out and decides to go to Djams apartment complex and to Djams apt (her friend decides not too)? She decides to go with Djam into his bedroom? She decides to engage in sex with Djam (video shows her consensual and playful). Other players start having sex with her? She decides not to try and get up and leave? She does not physically resist? There are no signs of forced sex or her trying to resist? Is this correct from what I have read?

Personally I find the players (after Djam) actions the epitome of shameful and retarded (and that is disparaging the word retarded in this case). I'm not trying to be self righteous here, I could care less what people do consensually in their sex lives, 10 on 1, who cares. I'm just basing my opinion off what I've read, as you'll see later.

Can we surmise the woman was telling them to stop and yelling to stop and they didn't?

As a father of a daughter I would like to think my daughter would behave much differently. Obviously the friend chose not to go to the apartment complex, the apartment, and the bedroom. Someone posted on here about being an adult and being able to make choices.

Ultimately if she was saying stop and no and these morons continued without respecting that, they should be expelled. The question is how do people know if that's the case? The fact she called her sister immediately after, went to a hospital, and filed a police report lends credence to her statement in the police report that she was telling them to stop (after Djam) and was in fear because they did not and there were so many of them and they were much larger and stronger than her.

Obviously it will all play out, and in the meantime there is not a damn thing any of us can do. Bottom line is these guys decided to jump in for 2nds and thirds, and fourths, etc and if the woman really wanted that she wouldn't have immediately gone to a hospital and filed a police report. It's the 2nd, 3rd, and 4ths imo that should be expelled. I don't see how the rest are involved, but maybe that comes out eventually. I say good riddance to the guys who didn't have the mental capacity to do the right thing from everything I've read. I could care less if they stay or go.

Agree with this

If in reality the 2nd, 3rd, 4th were consensual what then, what determines consent, there is a showtime series "The Affair" where the topic of consent is being discussed, it really appears to be a mainstream topic these days. It seems to be assumed that no woman would want to have sex with four men in the same night, it couldn't have been consensual but in my long distant memory going back decades I seem to remember this happening. I agree they put themselves in a very precarious position and are paying the consequences.

Those that did not participate being punished for being there, that I cannot understand at all, if this was happening in a bedroom whether it was consensual or not they probably didn't have a clue and are you guilty for standing by and doing nothing.

Sex is only acceptable between a married man and woman who are both over 25, in a bedroom behind a locked door when no one else is in the house, for purposes of procreation only in the missionary position.
There. Now we'll never have problems like this again.

FIFY

I wonder what VCUInsider would have to say.

Where there non-football players present at the party like other girls and guys?

Are they going to get expulsions & suspensions too? How come it was the players that got the wrath of the EOAA only?

If some of the suspended athletes were sleeping when this whole thing happened like Logan Hutton was saying, how come they got suspensions and not the other non-athletes that were present?

Well, it's not that uncommon. Even if it was, who cares what consenting adults do sexually?

I agree as long as the act was consensual by people that are not in a situation where they cannot make a good decision (i.e. learning disabled people being taken advantage of, intoxicate people, etc.).

Good thing these players didn't try anal...the EoAA would have recommended hangings for all of them.

Good thing these players didn't try anal...the EoAA would have recommended hangings for all of them.

Just to clarify. I assume you mean if she were on the receiving end. If the roles were flipped, I can only assume it would be OK.

If in reality the 2nd, 3rd, 4th were consensual what then, what determines consent, there is a showtime series "The Affair" where the topic of consent is being discussed, it really appears to be a mainstream topic these days. It seems to be assumed that no woman would want to have sex with four men in the same night, it couldn't have been consensual but in my long distant memory going back decades I seem to remember this happening. I agree they put themselves in a very precarious position and are paying the consequences.

Those that did not participate being punished for being there, that I cannot understand at all, if this was happening in a bedroom whether it was consensual or not they probably didn't have a clue and are you guilty for standing by and doing nothing.

I don't think enough details have come out on those players. If they are truly being punished just for being in the same apartment without taking part in any way that would be bad. None of us has the full details though on what they are being implicated for. That said you can read 40 some pages of posts in this thread from people that seem pretty sure they have all the answers.

Top Bottom