Tanner Morgan NFL draft profiles

hello-world

Reaction score

Tanner Morgan can be a pretty savvy passer. He shows good control of his offense and understanding of when and where to take his throws. Makes good decisions in the RPO game to slot the ball behind scraping LBs and is capable of hurrying his process here to get the ball out clean. He’s willing to pull the trigger before his receivers are out of the top of their breaks, showing good anticipation for spot throws to hit timing routes and ensure he’s keeping the offense on schedule. Plays with a big-play mentality within the pocket. He’s one of the more aggressive Power 5 quarterbacks in terms of pushing the ball down the field and attacking vertically. Routinely tossed haymakers down the field with confidence despite a lack of high-end physical skills. Morgan has also shown good chemistry and trust with his receivers, insinuating that he’s got the mental capacity for the pro level.

Tanner Morgan shows nuance and savvy passing in a QB-friendly system at Minnesota. With a heavy influence of RPOs, Morgan displays excellent timing on glance routes and regularly gets the ball out before a break is made. He has an easy projection to a “game manager” role in the NFL who can keep an offense on schedule, be pretty accurate at all three levels and keep the ball safe.

Morgan showed the ability to get the ball downfield, and Morgan exhibited impressive velocity and accuracy when throwing on the move. Sprays the ball anywhere on the field, especially when given a pocket from which to deliver. Will step up into pocket while looking downfield, reset his feet and deliver. Ball placement is a strength. He has the natural instincts to make plays when forced to improvise. Good (not elite) arm strength and can easily make all the NFL throws with effortless deep passes. Morgan has a quick release and shows good accuracy on shorter throws when on the move to either side. Athletic quarterback who is a threat to leave the pocket and gain positive yardage at any time. Possesses very good vision balance, elusiveness and deceptive speed and power as a runner.

It’s truly amazing that Tanner Morgan is still playing college football. After a breakout 2019 season that put Morgan on the map, he has since struggled tremendously to put together a complete season. In 2022, we have seen some the composure come back, the ability to operate the offense, and just his confidence to go out there and play football. He’s not anywhere near a perfect prospect, but he looks like a kid who will get drafted late as a developmental guy with experience in a pro system.

Last edited:

I like Tanner Morgan. Statistically he's the best QB we've had in many categories, plus he's won 3 bowl games, and beat Wisconsin twice. That said, he's just not an NFL talent. He's short, has a below average arm, would be effectively immobile at the NFL level, & doesn't have much upside as a 24 y/o (by the time he'd get to training camp) rookie. He's a good college QB, but neither his accuracy, nor his intangibles can overcome his athletic shortcomings at the NFL level.

I joined the board in 2019 when PJ got me excited and Tanner was throwing darts like Drew Brees. I though he would get drafted. I was either on to something or on something.
Now I think he may make a good coach, who really knows, is his personality too flat?.

I agree with others that TM2 should look into coaching. He is simply not an NFL QB. At his size you need to be elite at other aspects to play QB in the NFL. He is not. Would love to see him as a grad assistant in the Gophers next year.

This is absolutely fascinating! I was also on the Morgan could be as high as a 4th rounder train back in 2019, but with 3 years since then showing mostly regression, this is very interesting in that either these guys are a lot smarter than me OR these are just lazy pieces done off of stats.

I have a hunch this is an extension of the pissing contest you got into last night.

This is absolutely fascinating! I was also on the Morgan could be as high as a 4th rounder train back in 2019, but with 3 years since then showing mostly regression, this is very interesting in that either these guys are a lot smarter than me OR these are just lazy pieces done off of stats.
His stats have been bad for the last three years so I don't think that's what they are seeing.

He's smart (and knows where his receivers are going to break), has a quick release, and has good-to-elite ball placement. Those things are more important in a pro style offense than whether he keeps the ball on option plays.

Certainly what happens to Tanner (if anything assuming he even tries to go pro) could provide insight into how NFL scouts and teams assess each season's stock of QB hopefuls coming into the draft.

It would be great for this thread to be resurrected once Draft Day arrives to see where he lands if anywhere.

Is that you Streveler?

He kind of reminds me of that Bailey Zappe on New England from Houston Baptist/Western Kentucky. Similar size, similar strengths and weaknesses. Maybe Tanner can make a career as a backup or practice squad player? He doesn’t strike me as an NFL guy, he’s be perfect for the Arena league when that was around though! Never know, he might make it, he might not. Coaching would be good for him. Either way he was a great ambassador for our Gophers program and wish him much success regardless of where he ends up.

He kind of reminds me of that Bailey Zappe on New England from Houston Baptist/Western Kentucky. Similar size, similar strengths and weaknesses. Maybe Tanner can make a career as a backup or practice squad player? He doesn’t strike me as an NFL guy, he’s be perfect for the Arena league when that was around though! Never know, he might make it, he might not. Coaching would be good for him. Either way he was a great ambassador for our Gophers program and wish him much success regardless of where he ends up.
Well said, has been surprising the way some have turned on Morgan and are acting like he was some garbage player (very small percentage of posters acting this way).

Morgan is unlikely to be a star in the NFL but take a look at NFL rosters, there are a lot of very nondescript backup QBs out there. It certainly isn't crazy to think Morgan has enough talent to land on a roster as a backup QB, cash some nice checks and then move on to coaching or whatever he decides to pursue after that.

His stats have been bad for the last three years so I don't think that's what they are seeing.

He's smart (and knows where his receivers are going to break), has a quick release, and has good-to-elite ball placement. Those things are more important in a pro style offense than whether he keeps the ball on option plays.
You know nothing about QB play

Disagree Zappe production is so much higher in college it's not even close. Zappe ran a pass happy offense where everything was reliant on QB play. Minnesota runs the ball more than every team in the nation other than service academies. Morgan struggles throwing into the teeth of the Defense when the RPO game isn't going, Zappe does not he will pick u apart.

I hope he makes a team if that’s what he wants to pursue but I would be surprised if his physical tools are good enough to play in the NFL.

Tanner Morgan can be a pretty savvy passer. He shows good control of his offense and understanding of when and where to take his throws. Makes good decisions in the RPO game to slot the ball behind scraping LBs and is capable of hurrying his process here to get the ball out clean. He’s willing to pull the trigger before his receivers are out of the top of their breaks, showing good anticipation for spot throws to hit timing routes and ensure he’s keeping the offense on schedule. Plays with a big-play mentality within the pocket. He’s one of the more aggressive Power 5 quarterbacks in terms of pushing the ball down the field and attacking vertically. Routinely tossed haymakers down the field with confidence despite a lack of high-end physical skills. Morgan has also shown good chemistry and trust with his receivers, insinuating that he’s got the mental capacity for the pro level.

Tanner Morgan shows nuance and savvy passing in a QB-friendly system at Minnesota. With a heavy influence of RPOs, Morgan displays excellent timing on glance routes and regularly gets the ball out before a break is made. He has an easy projection to a “game manager” role in the NFL who can keep an offense on schedule, be pretty accurate at all three levels and keep the ball safe.

Morgan showed the ability to get the ball downfield, and Morgan exhibited impressive velocity and accuracy when throwing on the move. Sprays the ball anywhere on the field, especially when given a pocket from which to deliver. Will step up into pocket while looking downfield, reset his feet and deliver. Ball placement is a strength. He has the natural instincts to make plays when forced to improvise. Good (not elite) arm strength and can easily make all the NFL throws with effortless deep passes. Morgan has a quick release and shows good accuracy on shorter throws when on the move to either side. Athletic quarterback who is a threat to leave the pocket and gain positive yardage at any time. Possesses very good vision balance, elusiveness and deceptive speed and power as a runner.

It’s truly amazing that Tanner Morgan is still playing college football. After a breakout 2019 season that put Morgan on the map, he has since struggled tremendously to put together a complete season. In 2022, we have seen some the composure come back, the ability to operate the offense, and just his confidence to go out there and play football. He’s not anywhere near a perfect prospect, but he looks like a kid who will get drafted late as a developmental guy with experience in a pro system.
Kind of cherry picked some parts. The SI one says UDFA with below average arm strength and a poor job moving guys with his eyes in the full write up

Most NFL QBs, draftees and UDFAs are limited either mentally, physically, or psychologically. People see what they want to see and coaches and evaluators have proven they aren’t always accurate. Good players in college don’t always translate, particularly when you strip away a huge talent differential in supporting cast. NFL tends to favor high ceiling potential versus someone like Morgan or a whole host of similar QBs. I wouldn’t expect him to be drafted simply because his production has dipped so much. Tough sell to a fanbase.

Hypothetical, do you as a coach want Morgan or keeping it close to home say, Tarvaris Jackson? Morgan or Ponder? I don’t think those are automatic answers, personally. I witnessed a lot of cringe. Befuddling play. 69?

I doubt he gets drafted and plays a single snap in the NFL but wouldn’t be shocked if he makes the practice squad. Trace McSorely is playing right now so anything is possible.

he looked pretty good in 2019 when.......................he was throwing to 2 NFL-quality WR's.

Morgan is smart. he will score very highly on personality, leadership and other intangibles.

So, I could see him getting some NFL training camp invites, and - IN the right system - I could see him being a practice squad player/3rd QB type.

When you read a lot of the evaluating sites, you can add up the guys they mention as being draftable and you would need 30-40 rounds to accommodate them all. Maybe they are covering all their bases or the more guys they mention means the more interested clicks they get, but either way you gotta it with a grain of salt.

Is that you Streveler?
Streveler was/is an elite, NFL caliber athlete. Morgan is not.

In real estate terms, Streveler was a big house, on a nice block, that needed lot's of work. Morgan is a small house, on a so-so block, that is fully renovated, and has no projects left to add value.

Last edited:

I doubt he gets drafted and plays a single snap in the NFL but wouldn’t be shocked if he makes the practice squad. Trace McSorely is playing right now so anything is possible.
Mcsorley was a way better college player than Tanner

I like Tanner Morgan. Statistically he's the best QB we've had in many categories, plus he's won 3 bowl games, and beat Wisconsin twice. That said, he's just not an NFL talent. He's short, has a below average arm, would be effectively immobile at the NFL level, & doesn't have much upside as a 24 y/o (by the time he'd get to training camp) rookie. He's a good college QB, but neither his accuracy, nor his intangibles can overcome his athletic shortcomings at the NFL level.
You have accurately described a good candidate for a coaching career.

I guess if he makes it, good for him, but I just don't see it happening. I think he'd make an excellent coach, however, and an even better mentor to young QB's.

If I'm wrong, I'll gladly cheer for him wherever he ends up.

Mcsorley was a way better college player than Tanner

Way better? The passing stats are similar overall, McSoley had an overall superior surrounding cast. McSorley was way more mobile, yes.

Lets talk about Christian Hackenberg then. Five star recruit, blech college career considering he was at a blue blood program, and second round pick.

Do you take Hack or Morgan in the 2023 NFL draft.

Streveler was/is an elite, NFL caliber athlete. Morgan is not.

In real estate terms, Streveler was a big house, on a nice block, that needed lot's of work. Morgan is a small house, on a so-so block, that is fully renovated, and has no projects left to add value.
Streveler is a dominant, electric runner with a decent arm and probably below average accuracy based on what little CFL games I saw. He’s also fun as hell to watch. You didn‘t have any idea what’s about to happen on any given play. Should have probably started for MN given that offense and Mitch’s throwing attributes but that’s an alternate timeline and water under the bridge. Even MN fans were saying he can’t throw.

That he’s made the active roster in the NFL on at least two teams now after a stint in the NFL is nothing short of extraordinary, and also an indictment of many paid and unpaid evaluators.

Love the guy and I'll have to admit I didn't catch every game, but these scouts must have been watching tape played at a higher speed. Agree with pretty much everything you say here. I think he'll get to an NFL camp either on a try-out or NDFA basis and anything can happen from there. Worse guys have held clipboards for a few seasons, but it's probably an uphill climb for him. Wonder if having Sanford for two years set him back.

Top Bottom