Tanner Morgan NFL draft profiles

Mcsorley was a way better college player than Tanner
Playing with a better supporting cast. McSorley's a better athlete and probably a little more savvy in making reads and adjusting on the fly, but the fact that he actually took snaps in a meaningful game at the NFL level is pretty much a fluke. Like I said in an earlier post, anything can happen if a guy makes a practice squad.

Way better? The passing stats are similar overall, McSoley had an overall superior surrounding cast. McSorley was way more mobile, yes.

Lets talk about Christian Hackenberg then. Five star recruit, blech college career considering he was at a blue blood program, and second round pick.

Do you take Hack or Morgan in the 2023 NFL draft.
Hack was drafted as an upside project. Tanners problem is I don’t know how much you could “improve” anything vs Hack had the physical tools that people thought they could unleash. That can add to a guy getting drafted

Tanner Morgan can be a pretty savvy passer. He shows good control of his offense and understanding of when and where to take his throws. Makes good decisions in the RPO game to slot the ball behind scraping LBs and is capable of hurrying his process here to get the ball out clean. He’s willing to pull the trigger before his receivers are out of the top of their breaks, showing good anticipation for spot throws to hit timing routes and ensure he’s keeping the offense on schedule. Plays with a big-play mentality within the pocket. He’s one of the more aggressive Power 5 quarterbacks in terms of pushing the ball down the field and attacking vertically. Routinely tossed haymakers down the field with confidence despite a lack of high-end physical skills. Morgan has also shown good chemistry and trust with his receivers, insinuating that he’s got the mental capacity for the pro level.

Tanner Morgan shows nuance and savvy passing in a QB-friendly system at Minnesota. With a heavy influence of RPOs, Morgan displays excellent timing on glance routes and regularly gets the ball out before a break is made. He has an easy projection to a “game manager” role in the NFL who can keep an offense on schedule, be pretty accurate at all three levels and keep the ball safe.

Morgan showed the ability to get the ball downfield, and Morgan exhibited impressive velocity and accuracy when throwing on the move. Sprays the ball anywhere on the field, especially when given a pocket from which to deliver. Will step up into pocket while looking downfield, reset his feet and deliver. Ball placement is a strength. He has the natural instincts to make plays when forced to improvise. Good (not elite) arm strength and can easily make all the NFL throws with effortless deep passes. Morgan has a quick release and shows good accuracy on shorter throws when on the move to either side. Athletic quarterback who is a threat to leave the pocket and gain positive yardage at any time. Possesses very good vision balance, elusiveness and deceptive speed and power as a runner.

It’s truly amazing that Tanner Morgan is still playing college football. After a breakout 2019 season that put Morgan on the map, he has since struggled tremendously to put together a complete season. In 2022, we have seen some the composure come back, the ability to operate the offense, and just his confidence to go out there and play football. He’s not anywhere near a perfect prospect, but he looks like a kid who will get drafted late as a developmental guy with experience in a pro system.
These articles don't look very recent.

I doubt he gets drafted and plays a single snap in the NFL but wouldn’t be shocked if he makes the practice squad. Trace McSorely is playing right now so anything is possible.
Have you compared McSorely's stats to Morgan's?

Way better? The passing stats are similar overall, McSoley had an overall superior surrounding cast. McSorley was way more mobile, yes.

Lets talk about Christian Hackenberg then. Five star recruit, blech college career considering he was at a blue blood program, and second round pick.

McSorley did it in three years, so the stats are not really similar. Had 15 more TD passes, seven fewer INTs, and 30 rushing TDs.

Morgan is better than some of the starting QBs in the league right now. Sometimes having a "game manager" type can win you games.
Would rather have a QB who is accurate and isn't forcing it if the down side is he is a little slower or shorter. No real reason Morgan couldn't be on an NFL team.

Y’all read it here FIRST! If TM gets drafted within the 7 rounds of the 2023 NFL draft, I will donate $2,500 to our Gopher Hole 🙌
That's it? Come on, you can afford to cough up more than that.

These articles don't look very recent.
They were all written during or immediately before this season. He's going to get a look. I don't know if anything is going to come of it, but he is good enough to steal a practice squad spot with a little bit of luck. This isn't Leidner where the very idea of it was absurd. He has enough experience in a pro style offense to hang around on a NFL roster.

Before losing CRAB, Tanner threw some very, very well placed balls in his early games this year and looked confident in the pocket. Combine that with his 2019 tape and someone might take a chance on him.

Tyler Morgan = Steve Schnur. When NW started to turn it around in the mid 90's, they had a clone of Tyler and an NFL WR in Dwayne Bates. Some people are just good college QBs, but not draftable otherwise. Hope Tyler can get a few nfl checks carrying clipboards, but I wouldnt expect more than that.

Hack was drafted as an upside project. Tanners problem is I don’t know how much you could “improve” anything vs Hack had the physical tools that people thought they could unleash. That can add to a guy getting drafted

I’m always skeptical of guys that struggle at blue blood programs/have every advantage. At some point maybe they just aren’t very good.

They were all written during or immediately before this season. He's going to get a look. I don't know if anything is going to come of it, but he is good enough to steal a practice squad spot with a little bit of luck. This isn't Leidner where the very idea of it was absurd. He has enough experience in a pro style offense to hang around on a NFL roster.

Before losing CRAB, Tanner threw some very, very well placed balls in his early games this year and looked confident in the pocket. Combine that with his 2019 tape and someone might take a chance on him.
Hate to say it, but his 2019 season looks like the anomaly in his career here.

McSorley did it in three years, so the stats are not really similar. Had 15 more TD passes, seven fewer INTs, and 30 rushing TDs.

My sources say McSorley played 4 years and played 1 fewer games than Morgan.

My sources say McSorley played 4 years and played 1 fewer games than Morgan.
Give me a break, you know what I mean. His freshman year was mop up duty. 98% of his stats were in three years.

Yeah, you're absolutely right about the numbers. I do think the tape tells a more nuanced story. We will know pretty soon if I am wrong though.

It was an outlier but we saw what he could do with top shelf receivers and an aggressive mindset. Fair to say he can’t make some of the throws as well as other more regarded prospects. Processing speed, etc .

Give me a break, you know what I mean. His freshman year was mop up duty. 98% of his stats were in three years.

McSorley had a very average to below average senior season. Morgan’s best season was better than McSorley’s best in most statistical categories. Their overall passing resumes are not hugely different. The poster I was responding too stated McSorley was way better. I responded that in terms of a running threat yes, which is a big deal sure. All things being equal I’d take McSorley over Morgan. But, considering Morgan has had overall weaker teams that suggests he’s probably a better pure passer.

Have you compared McSorely's stats to Morgan's?
Yes. Morgan has a better completion percentage, rating and Yards per attempt. McSorley had a better TD to INT ratio. Their numbers aren’t that different other than the TD numbers.

He was horrible his senior year and was worse than any season Morgan has had. Saying way better is not living in the reality.
Horrible? Seriously? You are delusional. He had 30 total TDs. His senior season passing stats alone would be Morgan's second best season by a very, very long shot. Add in his rushing and it's way better by a lot, without question.

Why Tanner makes and NFL roster

1.) He can hit his spots. Tanner was a good, if not great target passer who could get it into tight spots. This includes passes over 20 yards as well. Problem was he had an inconsistent receiving core that he never developed chemistry with. With NFL receivers he could really find a rhythm.
2.) He won't be a distraction and a good guy to have in the QB room
3.) He won't make big mistakes.

Why he won't
1.) He locks into to his go to receiver and doesn't move anyone with his eyes (got better at this in 2022).
2.) He doesn't have high ceiling athleticism.
3.) He may not have the range needed to be an NFL QB (50+ yard throws).

My guess is he ends up on the practice squad in some place like Cincinnati, Tampa or even New England. These are places that have QB's that are not the most mobile and depend upon timing routes, not improve to move the ball.

Stats arent everything watch some film, Mcsorley was way better only people on gopherhole would debate that. The skillset hackenberg had made him an NFL QB. If Tanner played in an NFL game he would be so limited on what plays can be called. I don't think you realize the quality of throws NFL guys consistantly make

Morgan is better than some of the starting QBs in the league right now. Sometimes having a "game manager" type can win you games.
Would rather have a QB who is accurate and isn't forcing it if the down side is he is a little slower or shorter. No real reason Morgan couldn't be on an NFL team.
Is this a troll? Like what?? Name them please

Horrible? Seriously? You are delusional. He had 30 total TDs. His senior season passing stats alone would be Morgan's second best season by a very, very long shot. Add in his rushing and it's way better by a lot, without question.
No I just know how to look at the numbers. He rushed for a lot of TDs but he also had a completion percentage, YPA and rating lower than Morgan has ever had in a season. 53% completion percentage and 7.0 YPA is bad.

McSorley was not a good passer his senior season.

Stats arent everything watch some film, Mcsorley was way better only people on gopherhole would debate that. The skillset hackenberg had made him an NFL QB. If Tanner played in an NFL game he would be so limited on what plays can be called. I don't think you realize the quality of throws NFL guys consistantly make
The point was McSorley was pretty average and just bad his senior year yet is in the NFL. My point was to never compare the two directly. More that I don’t think anyone thought McSorley would ever play meaningful snaps in the NFL.

Mac Jones has a marginally stronger arm and is worse in most other aspects. Never sets his feet. Stares down receivers. Has trouble resetting when his receivers aren't open. Rarely climbs a pocket.
you lose any credibility when it comes to football talk this is so outrageous

Top Bottom