Student Section Attendence: who is ultimately responsible for this problem?

When the team is as horrible as we have been for 40+ years it is no surprise no one comes to the games and if we continue to be as pathetic as we have been there is nothing to be done to dramatically improve attendance. It is on Kill and Norwood to get us out of the gutter. If they do that more people will show up. The $5 ticket deal only goes so far.

When the team is as horrible as we have been for 40+ years it is no surprise no one comes to the games and if we continue to be as pathetic as we have been there is nothing to be done to dramatically improve attendance. It is on Kill and Norwood to get us out of the gutter. If they do that more people will show up. The $5 ticket deal only goes so far.

When you are right...you are right, although, there were SOME pretty fun seasons achieved during that 40 year period that was sometimes likened to a "walk in the wilderness..." by a few who were there for the entire trip. You present a reality-based solution to the problem in identifying the leadership that will have to get the job done. The new ad is responsible for the tenure and level of success of his football coach, Game Day Saturday Events, Experience of the students and fans and the future of Golden Gopher Football. IF he ever replaces his Coach for failing to get the job done, he should also resign his own position because a failure on Coach Kill's part would mean that as Coach Kill's boss, the Norwood ad- hire had failed in an even larger way. Good luck to both of them.

Since prexy k extended Coach Kill for so long, Coach Kill has to have at least as many years left on his contract as prexy k's hire for the ad position has on his contract. IF for some reason things are not going well with the football program when Norwood, the prexy-k hired ad is up for a contract extension or buy out, it would make no sense for the ad hire to hire a new football coach. The Norwood AD has described himself as a basketrball guy. It would be time to hire a football guy in the ad position to evaluate the football coach situation for the next 12 months...you know...they way the hoops guy, the Norwood Ad-hire did in March of 2013.

; 0 )

You present a reality-based solution to the problem in identifying the leadership that will have to get the job done.

No. No he did not. He made a statement, there is no "solution" presented.

IF he ever replaces his Coach for failing to get the job done, he should also resign his own position because a failure on Coach Kill's part would mean that as Coach Kill's boss, the Norwood ad- hire had failed in an even larger way.

You do realize that Kill was hired before Teague, don't you? No, you probably don't.

If a student is 21 (the legal drinking age), there are places all around the stadium that are fun. Sally's, Stub & Herb's, The Hole, BWW are all a blast for the pregame and all are about a two minute walk from the stadium.
My question is what kind of fun the under-21 students are looking for?

Great question. I am 22 years old, and even though I am legal to go to a bar before a game, I'd rather "tailgate" with my friends. Bars are fun, but college students want to be amongst their peers. Those bars are very packed (and fun for alumni and other ticket holders) but don't allow for much festivities for a younger crowd.

They want to play beer pong, flip/flippy/tip/tippy cup, and countless other games in space, not a bar. That isn't the type of atmosphere kids are looking for. I think an open lot or area if it exists for student gathering would be awesome. It would be like the music festival camping lots, just a giant open spot for college kids to be college kids.

The notion that football games are catered to the older crowd is very true. And even though I'm slowly becoming the alumni and "older" crowd, I want to come back to games where the student section is packed and there are college kids running around the tailgating lots before the game!

I do understand many on here take my above post and think of sarcasm - (example: all the sarcastic posts about we should do a million things for the kids like pick them up, drop them off, etc. Implying kids are being babyish.) To a point the sarcasm is just, but I'm just giving insight onto what is happening. Kids right now don't care if they go. They don't care if the public thinks they should have more school spirit. They just want to have a good time. If you want them to come, cater it to them, it's that simple.

And face painting does not count as catering it to a younger crowd...

I do understand many on here take my above post and think of sarcasm - (example: all the sarcastic posts about we should do a million things for the kids like pick them up, drop them off, etc. Implying kids are being babyish.) To a point the sarcasm is just, but I'm just giving insight onto what is happening. Kids right now don't care if they go. They don't care if the public thinks they should have more school spirit. They just want to have a good time. If you want them to come, cater it to them, it's that simple.

And face painting does not count as catering it to a younger crowd...

You say: "...kids right now don't care if they go. They don't care if the public thinks they should have more school spirit...."

In all sincerety, I am wondering if they would even care if the total number of seats reserved for a student section was diminished by 50%? Suppose they cut the number of potential student section tickets fror 8,000 (It may be 10,000 now...but I'm not sure, so I'll use 8,000 just for an example.) down to 4,000? Or, what if they cut it down to 2500? Based upon what you are saying, do you think they would even notice or care?

I keep thinking that somehow the administration needs to max out revenue and wouldn't it be nice if somehow all sides could come up with some kind of compromise to make it work better. But, perhaps the students just really don't care...What do you think?

; 0 )

For people who was at all the home games this year.. Which game had the most students there? How close was it too full?

Great question. I am 22 years old, and even though I am legal to go to a bar before a game, I'd rather "tailgate" with my friends. Bars are fun, but college students want to be amongst their peers. Those bars are very packed (and fun for alumni and other ticket holders) but don't allow for much festivities for a younger crowd.

They want to play beer pong, flip/flippy/tip/tippy cup, and countless other games in space, not a bar. That isn't the type of atmosphere kids are looking for. I think an open lot or area if it exists for student gathering would be awesome. It would be like the music festival camping lots, just a giant open spot for college kids to be college kids.

The notion that football games are catered to the older crowd is very true. And even though I'm slowly becoming the alumni and "older" crowd, I want to come back to games where the student section is packed and there are college kids running around the tailgating lots before the game!

Thanks for your response.
There are many tailgate lots that are a lot of fun. The one I attend is a blast, costs 10 bucks per vehicle and is about a 15 minute walk to the stadium. I happen to enjoy the walk. There are police who patrol our lot, but I have never witnessed any type of problem.
Again, I think if you're 21 and reasonably behaved, you can have a great time.

In all sincerety, I am wondering if they would even care if the total number of seats reserved for a student section was diminished by 50%? Suppose they cut the number of potential student section tickets fror 8,000 (It may be 10,000 now...but I'm not sure, so I'll use 8,000 just for an example.) down to 4,000? Or, what if they cut it down to 2500? Based upon what you are saying, do you think they would even notice or care?

; 0 )

My assumption is that if you do that were to be done then the stadium would jsut be filled by other BIG teams fans that travel well (i.e. Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan and Wisconsin).

The student support will come back slowly, but the six games won last year and a bowl game is really helping. I hadn't bought the tickets last year (as a student), and I am kind of regreting it. Seriously contemplating getting this upcoming year though.

My assumption is that if you do that were to be done then the stadium would jsut be filled by other BIG teams fans that travel well (i.e. Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan and Wisconsin).

The student support will come back slowly, but the six games won last year and a bowl game is really helping. I hadn't bought the tickets last year (as a student), and I am kind of regreting it. Seriously contemplating getting this upcoming year though.

Don't fall for it. There is never any "sincerety" with walrus. He's already been banned on this board at least twice, and I anxiously await his next banning.

Since I'm a student group leader at the U, I got invited to a thing about tailgating next week. It's a two day, two hour a day meeting about how to make the tailgating experience better. So if anyone has anything they think I should bring up, I would love to discuss it. We really do need a better tailgating environment, especially to get the students involved.

I have yet to see the lot across the street from Ski-U-Mah get filled(Victory?). Occasionally they let opposing team fans tailgate there. Maybe the empty 3/4ers could be made available to students?

Back at the dome there was one large tailgating lot studets all seemed to congregate

Right now next to the stadium there is no real parking lot or large gathering space for the students to tailgate at.
Admininstration and the AD under Maturi made all stadium lots around the stadium strictly large donation lots.
This seems to be the biggest problem in attracting students to the party they are probably looking for, they have
no area dedicated to them the U of M students and block G is for the Kids and older people like me.

The students need a lot dedicated to them that is not high in cost and not a donation lot. Frankly they pay a stadium fee
as part of there student Fees so they should have a large lot dedicated to them. Convincing administration of that fact and lost revenue is the hardest part. When the students were allowed to play there games and have the large DJ
booth or speaker systems and televisions people showed up in the Dome days. It's like anything make it a gathering
and like an event and the more people that are there the mob mentality sets in and more will want to be there.
There has to be a logial space close enough that makes sense without diminishing the donors spots, at least you would think so.
I'm not saying let it be Mardi Gras but let them have there music and a few kegs and a few red solo cups and they will show up.
There is a fine line on what you can allow as far as drinking goes though so you might have to do wrist bands like they do at bars and clubs.

It wasn't all drinking Flippy cup, and beer pong in the Metrodome days but that did contribute to the student having a good time, it was the fact that so many were there together with there friends that also made it fun.

Since I'm a student group leader at the U, I got invited to a thing about tailgating next week. It's a two day, two hour a day meeting about how to make the tailgating experience better. So if anyone has anything they think I should bring up, I would love to discuss it. We really do need a better tailgating environment, especially to get the students involved.

Read this thread.
Unfortunately the greatest possible gamechanger, even more than the U itself, would be the city of Minneapolis pulling the stick out of it's rear end and allowing private lots to charge nominal fees for tailgating and parking.
It would remove the U from being "vulnerable to lawsuits" and being seen as encouraging or allowing underage drinking or of age partying, and it would make the entire area around the stadium alive with gameday activites instead of only in specific tailgate lots.
It would give the students freedom to create their own gameday traditions, which is the real issue.
I would expect whatever this meeting is going to be is another lame attempt of the U to brainstorm this year's facepainting booth theme.

Take a shot at bringing any of these ideas up:
- Advertised student tailgate lot close to the stadium - student ID for entry, no car necessary.
- Police presence should only be to keep the peace (no Big Brother feeling)
- Provide grills? Or sell some food? Student prices with ID? Such as $1 Brats or Burgers - anything
- Lots of Maroon and Gold flags (I feel like every campus could do a better job of displaying school colors)
- Whatever initiative they decide to go with, do some viral marketing. Use twitter or facebook. Anything that students will actually look at.

Syracuse game was completely full and it was pretty loud in there. We were undefeated and it was a night game which both are contributing factors as to why the students showed up for that one. It's simple, put a winning product on the field and the students will show up.

Thank you for taking on this fun and important role! I have a couple of suggestions in addition to what Ole mentioned (allowing private lots). How about post game concerts either in the stadium or on the plaza. The U has one of the best college radio stations in the country with RadioK and Minneapolis has a great music scene. You could get some pretty local or not local bands to perform and continue the party after the game which would cause the party before and during the game to be more young and energetic.

Also University Ave has to be pedestrian only. The band marches down University and it becomes a party.

OK, I have read a lot of ideas here. Ultimately, Wren's question did not get answered.

Therefore, I nominate him.

OK, I have read a lot of ideas here. Ultimately, Wren's question did not get answered.

Therefore, I nominate him.

Testing one, two, three

If nominated, I will accept, and there will be some real changes made...

; 0 )

There used to be access from Washington/3rd Avenue (across the Washington Ave Bridge). That no longer exists.

Yep, and until last season that was still an option as well yet the U/city didn't bother with the whole University thing. Let's think outside the box a little...
- University remains open, 4th St becomes ped mall with limited access for the few lots/garages that only face 4th.
- University becomes ped mall along frat row/campus and 4th st is turned in to a 2-way street for gamedays.
- 1 or 2 lanes of University are blocked off for ped mall type activities while the remaining 1-2 lanes are used to funnel cars in

The excuse is really lost on me. If the majority of car traffic (like 90%) is coming IN to the stadium, then there are other options besides just leaving the streets as-is. Why aren't people pushing for LESS cars? MORE bars? People park somewhere and take the LRT in to campus and enjoy walking around? People do this from the St Paul lots, and did so from the WB tailgate lots.

I will also agree that while we have a great bar scene and grad students and seniors could get great use out of this for pre-game atmosphere, this is tough to make a case for "we've already got it solved for students." Think of how many people are 21 but have 20 year old friends. Sophomores living with juniors who are 21. Etc etc. Most people don't want to split up for a pre-game - they want as big a group as possible. And let's not discount the factor that people like the ability to meet up with total strangers (ahem, freshmen girls) who couldn't get in to bars. There needs to be something more. I've said this before - the Superblock is a hugely wasted opportunity. Tons of open space, volleyball/bball courts, and a LOT of students. Make it a party. Hire a DJ for $500 for 2-3 hours before game time. Buy some $10 volleyballs and basketballs (not the ones you have to rent from the dorms), throw them out there. Buy some coal, lighter fluid, and lighters and stock the grills in the area, and put a person out there charging $0.50 for uncooked hamburgers or hot dogs + buns (basically at cost - cheaper than any meal one could buy). We're talking spending MAYBE $1,000 a game to put out a party atmosphere. The kids have booze in their dorm rooms (and if they don't, maybe they'll get the hint for the next game and prepare themselves). Follow policy/laws and regulate to open space with a single cop hanging out on the periphery. Let it go naturally from there. Do something similar up in Dinkytown, maybe at the IM fields?

Yep, and until last season that was still an option as well yet the U/city didn't bother with the whole University thing. Let's think outside the box a little...
- University remains open, 4th St becomes ped mall with limited access for the few lots/garages that only face 4th.
- University becomes ped mall along frat row/campus and 4th st is turned in to a 2-way street for gamedays.
- 1 or 2 lanes of University are blocked off for ped mall type activities while the remaining 1-2 lanes are used to funnel cars in

The excuse is really lost on me. If the majority of car traffic (like 90%) is coming IN to the stadium, then there are other options besides just leaving the streets as-is. Why aren't people pushing for LESS cars? MORE bars? People park somewhere and take the LRT in to campus and enjoy walking around? People do this from the St Paul lots, and did so from the WB tailgate lots.

I will also agree that while we have a great bar scene and grad students and seniors could get great use out of this for pre-game atmosphere, this is tough to make a case for "we've already got it solved for students." Think of how many people are 21 but have 20 year old friends. Sophomores living with juniors who are 21. Etc etc. Most people don't want to split up for a pre-game - they want as big a group as possible. And let's not discount the factor that people like the ability to meet up with total strangers (ahem, freshmen girls) who couldn't get in to bars. There needs to be something more. I've said this before - the Superblock is a hugely wasted opportunity. Tons of open space, volleyball/bball courts, and a LOT of students. Make it a party. Hire a DJ for $500 for 2-3 hours before game time. Buy some $10 volleyballs and basketballs (not the ones you have to rent from the dorms), throw them out there. Buy some coal, lighter fluid, and lighters and stock the grills in the area, and put a person out there charging $0.50 for uncooked hamburgers or hot dogs + buns (basically at cost - cheaper than any meal one could buy). We're talking spending MAYBE $1,000 a game to put out a party atmosphere. The kids have booze in their dorm rooms (and if they don't, maybe they'll get the hint for the next game and prepare themselves). Follow policy/laws and regulate to open space with a single cop hanging out on the periphery. Let it go naturally from there. Do something similar up in Dinkytown, maybe at the IM fields?

I like the superblock idea you outline here, and I am sure that could be a feasible option.

Quick question to your second paragraph - isn't the master plan at the U to build research facilities on all of the parking lots around TCF, or has that changed? Everyone always mentions at how the awesome pregame bar scene for baseball stadiums located in the hearts of cities, and I imagine TCF will gradually move to more of a bar scene vs. tailgating in parking lots overtime. Combine that with a superblock party that bleeds into stadium village and you are talking about a very unique social gathering compared to what we have today with spread out parking lots.

I like the superblock idea you outline here, and I am sure that could be a feasible option.

Quick question to your second paragraph - isn't the master plan at the U to build research facilities on all of the parking lots around TCF, or has that changed? Everyone always mentions at how the awesome pregame bar scene for baseball stadiums located in the hearts of cities, and I imagine TCF will gradually move to more of a bar scene vs. tailgating in parking lots overtime. Combine that with a superblock party that bleeds into stadium village and you are talking about a very unique social gathering compared to what we have today with spread out parking lots.

Yes, north of the stadium will likely all be developed over the next 5+ years. The parking lots directly surrounding the stadium will stay, and I will bet my left nut that these will always be reserved for the high donors and suite holders, not ever for general parking/tailgating (which is fine.. a little bummer since there's never much of an atmosphere which kills a lot of fans' buzz as they approach, but fine).

There will be parking garages north of the stadium in the research district that will likely have the same number of parking spots as the surface lots currently have. Why the U isn't taking more of a stance and reducing parking/increasing parking rates and allowing people to use other modes of transportation (like the $1B LRT opening in a year) is beyond me, But yes, to your point, I think the U should be pushing a bar/open market tailgating scene NOW. It will eventually happen - the U won't allow tailgating in the garages. There won't be much U-owned surface parking soon. So start working with the neighborhood, the local businesses, and the city to get a system where it's more of a plaza party atmosphere where people walk/bus/LRT up. Other ideas have been floated out there - 14th St SE ped plaza between 5th and University (or even just 4th) to capitalize on all the restaurants/bars there. Use the Mall or other areas for people to hang out. Push for the bars to be allowed to have a little more tent space. Whatever it takes. This will not be a tailgating mecca - we don't have the lots for it and the ones that exist are being eaten up by U and private investment. Start building a more urban scene now and reap the rewards when more places open up and LRT is available.

The tailgating since the move to campus is literally the sole reason we've kept our tickets. Unless the team is consistently amazing I think my group will have a hard time justifying staying donors and ticket holders. No interest in any kind of game day plaza/mall.

Bummer.

I took the LRT system to many a sporting events in Minneapolis its fine getting there getting back is awful. There is huge lines because everyone is trying to get out at once ended up taking a bus one time just because it was faster and less crowded. Personally I would rather wait in my truck in a parking ramp (while listening to the postgame show) to get out rather than standing outside just to get on a crowded bus or train. Just my $0.02

Yes, north of the stadium will likely all be developed over the next 5+ years. The parking lots directly surrounding the stadium will stay, and I will bet my left nut that these will always be reserved for the high donors and suite holders, not ever for general parking/tailgating (which is fine.. a little bummer since there's never much of an atmosphere which kills a lot of fans' buzz as they approach, but fine).

There will be parking garages north of the stadium in the research district that will likely have the same number of parking spots as the surface lots currently have. Why the U isn't taking more of a stance and reducing parking/increasing parking rates and allowing people to use other modes of transportation (like the $1B LRT opening in a year) is beyond me, But yes, to your point, I think the U should be pushing a bar/open market tailgating scene NOW. It will eventually happen - the U won't allow tailgating in the garages. There won't be much U-owned surface parking soon. So start working with the neighborhood, the local businesses, and the city to get a system where it's more of a plaza party atmosphere where people walk/bus/LRT up. Other ideas have been floated out there - 14th St SE ped plaza between 5th and University (or even just 4th) to capitalize on all the restaurants/bars there. Use the Mall or other areas for people to hang out. Push for the bars to be allowed to have a little more tent space. Whatever it takes. This will not be a tailgating mecca - we don't have the lots for it and the ones that exist are being eaten up by U and private investment. Start building a more urban scene now and reap the rewards when more places open up and LRT is available.

Maybe Teague and Kaler will actually have some spine this go around and publicly call out Minneapolis, but I doubt it.
Yes, the best way to develop an atmosphere would be to allow private lots to charge for parking and tailgating, and houses/residence halls near the stadium to hold parties and gatherings open to all.
No Fing way it happens until something changes politically at the U.

Right now the city WILL NOT ALLOW any private lots parking privileges, much less tailgating. They also will do whatever the neighborhood groups ask of them, which is basically no gameday atmosphere whatsoever.(Insert whaaa story about beer bottles in some old hippie's front yard)

Just for fun i wonder what the possibility of the U declaring itself a St. Paul institution and going to the state declaring it's intent to abide by St. Paul laws would do? Maybe crazy talk, but the U needs leverage.

So either the U steps up pressure on the city to change those policies, or the U allows it's own house to hold parties, on campus in open spaces.
Which EVERY OTHER COLLEGE does on gamedays, but alas no,
The U cannot be seen as allowing or encouraging, or even being neutral to student revelry. Someone could sue, or fox9 could do a story on how students in college drink beer.
Enter more facepainting and BS givaways.

Top Bottom