Strack: Treyton Thompson Makes Case For Larger Role; Ben Johnson Unsure

The staff trusts him to defend the 5 more. Ben said as much in his press conference after their last game.
Daniels was crap on a stick against Iowa. Coach had to get him off the floor and give TT a chance. Good move to go to the zone to help him out and also caught the Hogeyes unprepared. TT made the best of his opp and really got into the game. His energy, along with Ramberg, gave the guys a boost.

When the season starts how much practice is actually done that will make a difference, when you are playing twice a week a good portion of practice is done preparing for the next game, not that much development is going to happen

I would hope the guys who aren't playing or only playing limited minutes practice pretty gd hard throughout the week. Do you rest bench warmers for games just in case?

Daniels was crap on a stick against Iowa. Coach had to get him off the floor and give TT a chance. Good move to go to the zone to help him out and also caught the Hogeyes unprepared. TT made the best of his opp and really got into the game. His energy, along with Ramberg, gave the guys a boost.
Yeah Daniels wasn’t good. Didn’t say he was. Poster asked if Daniels had earned his time. I stated what our HC said at a press conference when he was asked about TT’s time. Honestly neither are good for more than 10 mins again. Daniels can maybe give us 15 because he can defend. Hopefully TT continues to find a place to defend, but that soft 2-3 won’t work very often now that the surprise factor has worn off.

Defense, body strength. In other circumstances Charlie probably wouldn't play ahead of Thompson.
That's it, though. If Curry is in foul trouble or just needs a break, who do you bring in to bang on the blocks with the other team's big? Daniels has some bulk and strength. TT is a toothpick. Hey, I'm the first to say Daniels is limited. But he's stronger than TT at this point.

That's it, though. If Curry is in foul trouble or just needs a break, who do you bring in to bang on the blocks with the other team's big? Daniels has some bulk and strength. TT is a toothpick. Hey, I'm the first to say Daniels is limited. But he's stronger than TT at this point.
All of you keep focusing on Daniels versus TT. Totally irrelevant! We want a team that will perform in the future. Johnson is not doing us or TT any good by keeping him on the bench regardless of whether he is ready or not. Daniels and most of the other starters are gone after this year and this year is NOT going to be a winning season in the big ten despite all of you wearing rose colored glasses. We brought Johnson in to work towards building this team for the future. That is NOT happening by keeping TT and Thiam on the bench. They each need to be playing 10-15 minutes per game despite the fact that they have flaws right now. We do not want those flaws next year....we need them to develop experience playing so that they both can support the incoming freshmen, who will take time to adjust to Big Ten play.

So get off it with these player comparisons. It does no good. The season is not going to get us to the dance regardless of who they play and we want the future to be bright. Right now Johnson is making a huge mistake! Just like Pitino did.

Chomp. Chomp. Chomp. Chomp.

That is the sound of me eating my words.

Thompson showed me something today. very pleased.

I will note that he really played more as a forward - even on the zone, he was not under the basket much. And I think that is how the coaches see him going forward. But if they can get this type of performance from him, I'll take it.

now, once the off-season starts, you lock him in the weight room and throw food inside. If he can add some bulk, he can be a really solid B1G player.

I will note that he really played more as a forward - even on the zone, he was not under the basket much. And I think that is how the coaches see him going forward. But if they can get this type of performance from him, I'll take it.

now, once the off-season starts, you lock him in the weight room and throw food inside. If he can add some bulk, he can be a really solid B1G player.
Thirty pounds before Soph season is doable on a 7-foot frame.

I think they said he's already 15 pounds over his roster weight. Should be able to get north of 240 next year.

I would hope the guys who aren't playing or only playing limited minutes practice pretty gd hard throughout the week. Do you rest bench warmers for games just in case?
Not a lot of time, you have to go over specifics for the next game, you have to run starters against a scout team that mimicks the team you are playing next, warmups, how much time is left to do this go hard go and develop skills. What do you have, three practices a week. They are limited in the number of hours of practice a day I assume, lots of free time to work on your specific skills by yourself but not a lot of practice time.

Top Bottom