Strack: Treyton Thompson Makes Case For Larger Role; Ben Johnson Unsure

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Strack:

The depth-challenged Minnesota Gophers were without two regulars (Eric Curry, Sean Sutherland) in their 7-man rotation on Sunday afternoon against the Iowa Hawkeyes. With just under 11 minutes left in regulation, the now depth-challenged and undermanned Gophers were trailing 64-42 and looked completely outmatched vs the Hawkeyes.

That’s when 7’0″, 210 lb true freshman (from Alexandria, MN), Treyton Thompson, entered the game for the first time and, non-coincidentally, when everything changed. Minnesota went on a 22-6 run and cut the lead to three points with 1:30 remaining after a deep three by Jamison Battle.

Thompson Exactly What Gophers Need​

Treyton Thompson, if ready to emerge as a lineup regular, is the exact player the 10-5 (1-5) Gophers desperately need. Peyton Willis and Jamison Battle are one of the best guard/wing combos in the conference and EJ Stephens will make opponents pay if they focus too much attention on Willis and Battle. But Minnesota’s been unable to find post options, outside of Eric Curry, who can bang down low vs the monster big men of the Big Ten.

So with Curry out, the Hawkeyes had their way with post cuts and dribble drives during much of Sunday’s contest. But with 12 minutes to play, Ben Johnson went to a zone defense that, with Thompson patrolling the paint, forced Iowa to make shots from deep. It worked. Iowa shot 5/22 from 3-point range on the afternoon and 1/9 during the Gophers’ comeback.

On the offensive end, Treyton Thompson worked the double screen and roll game with Battle and Willis. His presence opened shot opportunities for those two that they hadn’t seen all night. Jamison Battle, especially, took advantage and hit huge shots down the stretch.

Ben Johnson Still Hesitant​

After the game, head coach Ben Johnson praised the attitude and work ethic of Thompson. But he still appeared hesitant on whether or not Thompson is physically ready to play center in the Big Ten. And if not, can he stay in front of the talented wings or guards he may end up on if he plays any other positions. But with the deficiencies the Minnesota Gophers have in the post, Johnson may not have a choice but to throw Treyton into the Big Ten fire.

Go Gophers!!

No one's questioning the coach's decisions?

I liked Thompson's game considerably more at C than when he was subbing for Battle. He played like a skilled C. When he plays the 4 (IMO), he looked completely lost. I'd like for him get more PT but I don't see the practices.

Ben must want to protect the kid's psyche. Otherwise it makes no sense why Ben wouldn't play him 15 minutes a game. He didn't look scared out there. He was into it.
We've played a lot of close games and other than against Iowa, I thought he was pretty mistake prone (dumb TOs and dumb fouls). I'd like to see him get more PT but I understand why Ben is having difficult finding minutes.

We've played a lot of close games and other than against Iowa, I thought he was pretty mistake prone (dumb TOs and dumb fouls). I'd like to see him get more PT but I understand why Ben is having difficult finding minutes.
More so than Daniels?

If TT can’t hold his own in practice against the likes of Curry and Daniels, I can see why Johnson is hesitant to put him on the floor. The zone helped hide his deficiencies, but that’s not Johnson’s preferred D. I will say that it was nice to see some Gopher hands up near the rim trying to get rebounds (on both ends of the floor) for a change.

You play zone as we did during the comeback?

I like that this staff is willing to switch up D's. Pitino rarely did. This isn't 6th grade travel basketball where coaches should only play man-to-man, play the D that can give you the best chance to win the games with the personnel you have, and when Thompson is in the game, we will likely play zone at this stage in his development.

Go Gophers!!

Thompson can't defend a 4 and not strong enough as a 5. So how do you hide him on defense?
Zone, but even then can't play zone the whole game, but I do believe we went to a zone during that 22-6 run. Treyton a good positional defender at the five, but like you said need s to add 20 more pounds and he's not quick enough to play man to man defense anywhere else on the floor. Also on offense, WIllis was calling the plays and directing him where to go on almost every possession, so he's still learning on that side of things. There's a lot to like about his game and I hope he's earned a rotation or two going forward. Still would like to add a grad transfer Post next year, to go with TT and Payne

Thompson can't defend a 4 and not strong enough as a 5. So how do you hide him on defense?
Yep. Ben can't always play a zone when Thompson comes in. Even when in a zone there was at least two times when Iowa got the ball into the paint and Thompson never got his hands up. The Iowa big simply got an 8 foot, uncontested shot, an easy two points. Those exchanges showed Thompsons need for more practice.
Simply put, Thompson isn't ready to bang in a man-to-man defense.
The situation and the change of pace worked on Sunday, but every B1G team will scout Thompson based on yesterday. He won't surprise anyone the next time he plays.
This being said, Thompson was a great change of pace and his presence helped us get back into the game.

Yep. Ben can't always play a zone when Thompson comes in. Even when in a zone there was at least two times when Iowa got the ball into the paint and Thompson never got his hands up. The Iowa big simply got an 8 foot, uncontested shot, an easy two points. Those exchanges showed Thompsons need for more practice.
Simply put, Thompson isn't ready to bang in a man-to-man defense.
The situation and the change of pace worked on Sunday, but every B1G team will scout Thompson based on yesterday. He won't surprise anyone the next time he plays.
This being said, Thompson was a great change of pace and his presence helped us get back into the game.
The decision of when and how much to play Thompson is about the best way to develop him for next year and beyond. Neither he nor Daniels makes much difference in this season's record.

The decision of when and how much to play Thompson is about the best way to develop him for next year and beyond. Neither he nor Daniels makes much difference in this season's record.
We're still trying to win. Can't fault Coach for focusing on the best option to win games.
Thompson gets all the practice time. Coaches see his skills and his progression. We have to trust their decision regarding who plays.

Chill. He’ll get his minutes this year. Largely when Curry is not in the game but wouldn’t put it past Ben to experiment a little this year with Curry and Thompson late in the season.

In the age of the portal, you have to give your guys incentive to return. Play zone for a few minutes each half as a change of pace if that how TT can get on the court.
Ben loses Curry, Daniels, Stephens, Sutherlin, and Willis after this season. That is a lot of experience and minutes to replace.

Is it possible that Ben doesn't really want him to return? We saw Pitino freeze out a few guys who could have helped at times when he wanted to get rid of them. I hope Ben doesn't do that but that's always a possibility.

I agree that, given the anticipated departures, losing guys with remaining eligibility and potential is the last thing you would expect a coach to want but Ben strikes me as an individual with a fairly high confidence level in his ability to recruit.

In the age of the portal, you have to give your guys incentive to return. Play zone for a few minutes each half as a change of pace if that how TT can get on the court.
Ben loses Curry, Daniels, Stephens, Sutherlin, and Willis after this season. That is a lot of experience and minutes to replace.
And Loewe. And Ogele.

Exactly. So why not give TT some run so he gains experience? Baffling to me it took being down 20 at home to get the kid in.

Is it possible that Ben doesn't really want him to return? We saw Pitino freeze out a few guys who could have helped at times when he wanted to get rid of them. I hope Ben doesn't do that but that's always a possibility.

I agree that, given the anticipated departures, losing guys with remaining eligibility and potential is the last thing you would expect a coach to want but Ben strikes me as an individual with a fairly high confidence level in his ability to recruit.
No

how many times have I seen this routine play out?

Sub comes in game and has a few good minutes.

Fans: "He needs to be playing more often."

But, more often than not, extended playing time exposes the player's limitations or weaknesses. We saw that with Daniels on Sunday. In a limited role, he can be OK. but given major minutes, the mistakes become more apparent.

same thing has happened multiple times, with guys like Sam Freeman. Freeman plays a couple of minutes at the end of the game, and the fans respond "he needs to be playing more."

look - coaches are human. they have biases and blind spots. But if Bench Guy X was good enough to play major minutes, he would be playing major minutes.

how many times have I seen this routine play out?

Sub comes in game and has a few good minutes.

Fans: "He needs to be playing more often."

But, more often than not, extended playing time exposes the player's limitations or weaknesses. We saw that with Daniels on Sunday. In a limited role, he can be OK. but given major minutes, the mistakes become more apparent.

same thing has happened multiple times, with guys like Sam Freeman. Freeman plays a couple of minutes at the end of the game, and the fans respond "he needs to be playing more."

look - coaches are human. they have biases and blind spots. But if Bench Guy X was good enough to play major minutes, he would be playing major minutes.
My problem is that Daniels is, at best, marginally better. I'd much rather give the minutes to the freshman. If this team isn't going to make a shocking NCAA run, then they should give the non-seniors, specifically Thompson and Thiam, more minutes. Otherwise, what's the point? Going 14-16 instead of 16-14 isn't going to change anything.

Exactly. So why not give TT some run so he gains experience? Baffling to me it took being down 20 at home to get the kid in.
Yeah and we'll have Parker Fox, Ihnen, Battle, Payne, and Olo Joseph to compete with in the frontline next season. I want Thompson to get more minutes but I don't mind Ben making him earn it.

Top Bottom