Strack: Treyton Thompson Makes Case For Larger Role; Ben Johnson Unsure

how many times have I seen this routine play out?

Sub comes in game and has a few good minutes.

Fans: "He needs to be playing more often."

But, more often than not, extended playing time exposes the player's limitations or weaknesses. We saw that with Daniels on Sunday. In a limited role, he can be OK. but given major minutes, the mistakes become more apparent.

same thing has happened multiple times, with guys like Sam Freeman. Freeman plays a couple of minutes at the end of the game, and the fans respond "he needs to be playing more."

look - coaches are human. they have biases and blind spots. But if Bench Guy X was good enough to play major minutes, he would be playing major minutes.
I see what you're saying, but all I was asking for was around 4 minutes in the the first half. Daniels was playing terrible and I could tell Loewe and Stephens were frustrated with him.

In the age of the portal, you have to give your guys incentive to return. Play zone for a few minutes each half as a change of pace if that how TT can get on the court.
Ben loses Curry, Daniels, Stephens, Sutherlin, and Willis after this season. That is a lot of experience and minutes to replace.
It would have been nice to see the younger players play during non conference but according to some the coach was just trying to build confidence. Next year 4/5 of starters are gone.

Is Red shirting him still an option. Someone told me today 8 games is max.

Wondering if that is Ben's plan

Is Red shirting him still an option. Someone told me today 8 games is max.

Wondering if that is Ben's plan

No. Players cannot planned redshirt once they enter into a basketball game.

The rule is like 30% of teams games for an injury redshirt.

how many times have I seen this routine play out?

Sub comes in game and has a few good minutes.

Fans: "He needs to be playing more often."

But, more often than not, extended playing time exposes the player's limitations or weaknesses. We saw that with Daniels on Sunday. In a limited role, he can be OK. but given major minutes, the mistakes become more apparent.

same thing has happened multiple times, with guys like Sam Freeman. Freeman plays a couple of minutes at the end of the game, and the fans respond "he needs to be playing more."

look - coaches are human. they have biases and blind spots. But if Bench Guy X was good enough to play major minutes, he would be playing major minutes.
The backup QB is many times the fan fav.

Yeah and we'll have Parker Fox, Ihnen, Battle, Payne, and Olo Joseph to compete with in the frontline next season. I want Thompson to get more minutes but I don't mind Ben making him earn it.
Yup, until an injury or two or a transfer or two. Play the kid. NO reason not to.

And for good measure play Thiam as well.

Yup, until an injury or two or a transfer or two. Play the kid. NO reason not to.

And for good measure play Thiam as well.
I hope these guys get some time sprinkled in but the reason not to play them would be to win games and to set the tone that minutes are to be earned. I would love to see more minutes by TT and Thiam but I am not in the camp that giving people minutes that they haven't earned builds development. I don't think PT is necessarily fairy dust for development. I think good habits is the fairy dust for development. Generally, I trust the coaches decisions on PT (until I've been given reason not to), as of now I trust Ben that the best way for these guys to develop isn't to be handed minutes before they're ready.

Obviously, I'm giving Ben the benefit of the doubt on PT because he hasn't given me a reason to doubt his ability to develop players/allocate minutes. I could certainly be wrong but I haven't seen anything from TT or Thiam to make me think their lack of PT is egregious at this point.

I hope these guys get some time sprinkled in but the reason not to play them would be to win games and to set the tone that minutes are to be earned. I would love to see more minutes by TT and Thiam but I am not in the camp that giving people minutes that they haven't earned builds development. I don't think PT is necessarily fairy dust for development. I think good habits is the fairy dust for development. Generally, I trust the coaches decisions on PT (until I've been given reason not to), as of now I trust Ben that the best way for these guys to develop isn't to be handed minutes before they're ready.

Obviously, I'm giving Ben the benefit of the doubt on PT because he hasn't given me a reason to doubt his ability to develop players/allocate minutes. I could certainly be wrong but I haven't seen anything from TT or Thiam to make me think their lack of PT is egregious at this point.
Ig et it and agree, for the most part.

But to leave a 7 footer on the bench - all the time - who appears to be serviceable for 5-7 minutes a game leaves me wondering.

The video I have seen in the past showed TT playing the perimeter. And the few times when he saw the floor as a Gopher.

Is Johnson working him into the center spot? If so, that will take time and makes sense why he seldom has seen any PT. IMO, that is where he belongs. He seems to have the work ethic and attitude to be a force in the paint down the road.

Ig et it and agree, for the most part.

But to leave a 7 footer on the bench - all the time - who appears to be serviceable for 5-7 minutes a game leaves me wondering.
He's young and no where near filled out for his height. Ben is not developing him to magically win 10 league games and a tournament berth. He is doing what he believes is best to prepare for next year and after. That includes teaching him the mental side of earning an expanded role.

That may mean more playing time the rest of this year or not. But as someone posted earlier Ben is not losing sleep fretting if we are going to be 14-16 or 16-14. He's preparing for two and three years out.

That’s my concern. Having experienced players next year and beyond.
We had only two guys returning this year, lots were worried we wouldn’t be competitive with what Coach J brought in. Yet we’ve been fairly competitive with a lineup that has tons of experience. Now we’re worried about next year not having experience? I believe Coach J can and will find some experienced players in the portal and will have more success in landing some quality players with what he’s done with the guys he has this year.
TT needs to earn minutes, not be given them just like every player. He did provide a spark vs Iowa which was awesome to see. I hope he can build on that in practice this week and earn more time in the coming games. It would help the team.

We had only two guys returning this year, lots were worried we wouldn’t be competitive with what Coach J brought in. Yet we’ve been fairly competitive with a lineup that has tons of experience. Now we’re worried about next year not having experience? I believe Coach J can and will find some experienced players in the portal and will have more success in landing some quality players with what he’s done with the guys he has this year.

Yes, but we haven't been so competitive lately and there are a lot of games remaining. We had a nice cushion but, give us another 10 games, and that 10-5 could turn into 12-13.

TT needs to earn minutes, not be given them just like every player. He did provide a spark vs Iowa which was awesome to see. I hope he can build on that in practice this week and earn more time in the coming games. It would help the team.
Huh. Competitive.
Winning big is the goal. This season may be very tough moving forward. Can’t have another next year.

Yes, but we haven't been so competitive lately and there are a lot of games remaining. We had a nice cushion but, give us another 10 games, and that 10-5 could turn into 12-13.
So...no better than last year...

This team is so much more enjoyable to watch. I'm not worrying about wins and lossed, but perhaps you and barnbitcher just need something to bitch about.

Last edited:

Huh. Competitive.
Winning big is the goal. This season may be very tough moving forward. Can’t have another next year.
Had TT played more early in the year, I doubt we win all those NC games. So asking for TT to play more would go against the whole concept of winning.

But the goal is to gradually build experience through your own recruited players. We are not looking to bring in eight experienced transfers each year to play a season and leave. The goal for the portal is to pick up one or two key guys a year if you need a quick fix. We will reduce portal reliance next year.

You sound awfully confident of that. If Thompson transfers, will you second guess that view?

Some of you give every new coach a halo.
And some of you pass up no chance to piss and moan and act like you know better than the guy who sees these players every day and, I'm quite sure, knows a hell of a lot more about developing players than you do.

The thing I'm missing is you can't mask his deficiencies for four minutes a half, you can't find any playing time at all. I can understand the not ready for prime time but that is not what people are talking about, especially when you are down to six players, he brings some qualities that are badly needed on this team.

Had TT played more early in the year, I doubt we win all those NC games. So asking for TT to play more would go against the whole concept of winning.
Hold up - I thought this season was never about winning?

This writer is terrible. I assure you, despite the author's fantasy, that Thompson is not the Gopher post option we "desperately need" "who can bang down low vs the monster big men of the big ten".

"Treyton Thompson, if ready to emerge as a lineup regular, is the exact player the 10-5 (1-5) Gophers desperately need."

"But Minnesota’s been unable to find post options, outside of Eric Curry, who can bang down low vs the monster big men of the Big Ten."

You sound awfully confident of that. If Thompson transfers, will you second guess that view?

If he planned to not give him minutes and let him transfer after a year he certainly had every opportunity to tell him to look elsewhere before the season and find another transfer big to contribute instead. All that says Ben isn’t planning on running TT off.

If he planned to not give him minutes and let him transfer after a year he certainly had every opportunity to tell him to look elsewhere before the season and find another transfer big to contribute instead. All that says Ben isn’t planning on running TT off.
Exactly. Ben had every opportunity not to honor the Pitino scholarship offer if he thought TT wasn't a good long-term fit. TT was always going to be a project, and his lack of minutes shouldn't come as a surprise.

As fans, we need to get over the Pitino era notion that if a player doesn't play/contribute their freshman year, they should be written off.

While I can't predict the future, I feel good that the staff plans to build up the TT and Thiam to contribute consistently as upperclassmen.

Nothing to do with Ben, but I will bet you a thousand dollars Thompson doesn't transfer. kid comes out ten minutes after every home game and puts up shots and was committed by thanksgiving of his Junior year. If you're going to worry about a kid transferring, it would probably be Thiam, since we have to freshman guards coming in at his spot and will probably take couple more guards in the portal as well. That's not to say I want Thiam transfer, hope he sticks it out, comes back and competes for minutes next year, but he's far from home and the path to playing time will only get murkier for him, if he's having trouble cracking the rotation now.

players mature at different times and different levels.

Some FR are capable of playing major minutes right away. Other FR need time to develop or mature physically.

with TT, we are talking about a guy who averaged 4.3 pts and 4.7 reb a game as a HS SR. Now, yes, this was at a marquee prep school that plays a national schedule. He put up good numbers as a SO at Alexandria HS. His JR year at the prep school, he didn't do much, and his SR Year, as noted, less than 5 ppg.

Don't know who was advising him, but I wonder if the prep school was the right choice? Staying in MN didn't prevent Suggs or Holmgren from being top national players.

I am NOT saying he can't play. I am suggesting that it's going to take a year or longer before he can realistically play major minutes in the B1G.

Nothing to do with Ben, but I will bet you a thousand dollars Thompson doesn't transfer. kid comes out ten minutes after every home game and puts up shots and was committed by thanksgiving of his Junior year. If you're going to worry about a kid transferring, it would probably be Thiam, since we have to freshman guards coming in at his spot and will probably take couple more guards in the portal as well. That's not to say I want Thiam transfer, hope he sticks it out, comes back and competes for minutes next year, but he's far from home and the path to playing time will only get murkier for him, if he's having trouble cracking the rotation now.

As far as Thiam, probably depends if he wants to be on a Big Ten team and get a Big Ten degree/education. Safe to say, if he transferred after this year, he likely wouldn't be going to another P5 program. Bigger stage/better university vs playing time decision.

Top Bottom